Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aad

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby aad » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Sogui wrote:I wonder why Harvard would try to make any dramatic effort to change their GPA numbers.

The YHS trio seem pretty locked in place and it's not like Harvard will overtake Yale in the rankings just because they pushed their GPA median up a few hundreths of a point.

It seems all this is conjecture about Harvard trying to increase their GPA averages.

And, even if it were true, the motive doesn't have to be based on ranking but perhaps a philosophical shift in terms of what they view as important for good law students. I am biased of course on this point since I am a reverse-splitter.

Even though I'm very skeptical, I hope that this rumor is true.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

crackberry wrote:
Sogui wrote:The YHS trio seem pretty locked in place

Do you mean YHS at the top (as in the trio) is locked down? Or that Y, H, S (in that order) is locked down? I agree with the former, disagree with the latter. If you look at average ranking over the past 10-15 years, Yale averages, well 1.00, while Stanford averages 2.31 and Harvard averages 2.69.

YHS are all well ahead of Columbia, which is fourth at 4.28.

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

lol crackberry, your posts are getting predictable now! any HLS thread that mentions stanford in a neutral or negative light = your appearance and subsequent rebuttal/"enlightenment" haha

we get it, SLS is an awesome school - cant go wrong w/ either HLS or SLS lol

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I just got a very helpful email from a former Stanford undergrad who explained why he chose HLS over SLS. If you want me to forward it to you, PM me your email.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Do you mean YHS at the top (as in the trio) is locked down? Or that Y, H, S (in that order) is locked down? I agree with the former, disagree with the latter. If you look at average ranking over the past 10-15 years, Yale averages, well 1.00, while Stanford averages 2.31 and Harvard averages 2.69.

lol crackberry, your posts are getting predictable now! any HLS thread that mentions stanford in a neutral or negative light = your appearance and subsequent rebuttal/"enlightenment" haha

It's my duty no?

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Totally forgot about the possibility of Stanford re-taking/re-tying Harvard for #2. I always frame in my mind law schools attempting to pass the schools above them, which would be virtually impossible for Harvard. But it makes sense that they need to keep their GPAs as high as possible to hold that #2 spot.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:40 pm

crackberry wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:

It's my duty no?

hahaha indeed it is - champion forth!

dudester

Postby dudester » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Sogui wrote:Totally forgot about the possibility of Stanford re-taking/re-tying Harvard for #2. I always frame in my mind law schools attempting to pass the schools above them, which would be virtually impossible for Harvard. But it makes sense that they need to keep their GPAs as high as possible to hold that #2 spot.

Preposterous

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:41 pm

dudester wrote:
Sogui wrote:Totally forgot about the possibility of Stanford re-taking/re-tying Harvard for #2. I always frame in my mind law schools attempting to pass the schools above them, which would be virtually impossible for Harvard. But it makes sense that they need to keep their GPAs as high as possible to hold that #2 spot.

Preposterous

Not really.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 pm

dudester wrote:

Preposterous

:D

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:48 pm

BenJ wrote:That said, they're definitely trying to pull up their GPA median and 25th percentile this year. Bad news for me. I was in the 25th-50th GPA range last year, but I suspect I'll be in the sub-25th range this year. Still above 75th LSAT, though.

I know how you feel.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:52 pm

managamy wrote:I just got a very helpful email from a former Stanford undergrad who explained why he chose HLS over SLS. If you want me to forward it to you, PM me your email.

Sorry for the silliness of quoting myself, but I forwarded it to several people who PM'ed me so far.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:09 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
BenJ wrote:That said, they're definitely trying to pull up their GPA median and 25th percentile this year. Bad news for me. I was in the 25th-50th GPA range last year, but I suspect I'll be in the sub-25th range this year. Still above 75th LSAT, though.

I know how you feel.

:(

Have you really had no news from NYU? I hardly think my softs were impressive enough to distinguish me enough from someone else with virtually identical numbers.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:13 pm

BenJ wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:

I know how you feel.

:(

Have you really had no news from NYU? I hardly think my softs were impressive enough to distinguish me enough from someone else with virtually identical numbers.

That's right, no news from any T14's except for an email from Duke today telling me I'm on their priority reserve list (which I don't really care about).

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:15 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:That's right, no news from any T14's except for an email from Duke today telling me I'm on their priority reserve list (which I don't really care about).

Gotta be YP

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:16 pm

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:That's right, no news from any T14's except for an email from Duke today telling me I'm on their priority reserve list (which I don't really care about).

Gotta be YP

+1.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Gotta be YP

+1.

+2. I'm sure you'll get into NYU eventually (and even better schools!). They're too much into the numbers and won't turn down a 179 LSAT with a good GPA. Good luck, and fingers crossed for JR1 emails tomorrow :)

Alea Iacta Est

Postby Alea Iacta Est » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm

managamy wrote:
dudester wrote:

Preposterous

Not really.

You guys realize this doesn't matter, at all, right?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Alea Iacta Est wrote:
managamy wrote:
dudester wrote:

Preposterous

Not really.

Why doesn't it matter?

Alea Iacta Est

Postby Alea Iacta Est » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:31 pm

managamy wrote:
Alea Iacta Est wrote:
managamy wrote:
dudester wrote:
Preposterous

Not really.

Why doesn't it matter?

No kind of hiring -- including law firms, judges, gov't etc. -- will be affected in the slightest if the order is Y-H-S, Y-S-H, H-Y-S, or any other possibly variation. No one on the street will know the difference when you tell them where you go or went to school. It only matters if your single goal is to go to the highest "ranked" school you possibly can. In which case you are quite silly.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:32 pm

Alea Iacta Est wrote:

explain. my choice in law school is 1000% dependent on USNWR rankings

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:33 pm

BenJ wrote:
managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Gotta be YP

+1.

+2. I'm sure you'll get into NYU eventually (and even better schools!). They're too much into the numbers and won't turn down a 179 LSAT with a good GPA. Good luck, and fingers crossed for JR1 emails tomorrow :)

Thank you. Good luck to you and everybody else too. I really want Harvard.

cardinal08

Postby cardinal08 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:48 pm

JR2!

Got email earlier in the day but wasn't able to check till now. I was Dec. LSAT applied just before Jan. 4.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:08 pm

cardinal08 wrote:JR2!

Got email earlier in the day but wasn't able to check till now. I was Dec. LSAT applied just before Jan. 4.

Big congrats! :D

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 pm

cardinal08 wrote:JR2!

Go Cardinal!

Zara

Postby Zara » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Out of the people on here who had jr1s last week, I'm the only one who didnt get a JR2 today. sucks. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”