Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Sogui wrote:We demand satisfaction!

Caddyshack?!

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:14 pm

jr2. wow.
best of luck to the folks who haven't heard yet.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:05 pm

mozhou7 wrote:IN! JR2 Just now...

The big news is - I was held 1/11! So...get ready held buddies!

Congrats! What are your #'s?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:25 pm

Genki wrote:Congrats to everyone who has been accepted.

To anyone's knowledge, have there been any JR1 emails gone out to people who took the December LSAT and submitted an application after 01/04? Law School numbers really needs to add a column for JR1 emails on the Harvard stats page.

Not I. Submitted 1/4, under review as of 2/6. [75/75] numbers with pretty good soft factors. I'm getting anxious and impatient! This is far worse than waiting for my LSAT score.

And I agree, a phone interview e-mail column on LSN would be incredibly useful.

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Core wrote:

4.0 & 170/174 (Dec Retake)
Good luck Core! I am rooting for you!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:41 pm

I think the next couple of days after this batch of admits will see a bunch of JR1 emails. Now that they're admitting holds, they must be ready to make decisions on who to interview as well.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:42 pm

mozhou7 wrote:
Core wrote:

4.0 & 170/174 (Dec Retake)
Good luck Core! I am rooting for you!

Thanks. I don't think my 168 is going to cut it, though. This cycle seems extra competitive.

RednBlack

Postby RednBlack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Did you and all the new admits already have JR1s? So you went from JR1 -> Hold ->

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:44 pm

RednBlack wrote:

Did you and all the new admits already have JR1s? So you went from JR1 -> Hold ->

JR1's are a requisite for a JR2.

RednBlack

Postby RednBlack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:50 pm

BenJ wrote:I think the next couple of days after this batch of admits will see a bunch of JR1 emails. Now that they're admitting holds, they must be ready to make decisions on who to interview as well.

+1

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 pm

RednBlack wrote:
BenJ wrote:I think the next couple of days after this batch of admits will see a bunch of JR1 emails. Now that they're admitting holds, they must be ready to make decisions on who to interview as well.

+1

important to remember that this was an anomaly among holds. he got an earlier JR1 and was just held until his lsat retake was processed.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:56 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
RednBlack wrote:

+1

important to remember that this was an anomaly among holds. he got an earlier JR1 and was just held until his lsat retake was processed.

He was held on 1/11. Someone whose application was otherwise complete (especially with a JR1) should have had the LSAT retake processed well before that date.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Core wrote:Thanks. I don't think my 168 is going to cut it, though. This cycle seems extra competitive.

don't lose hope, core!

question for you all-- has anyone seen any evidence outside of the TLS/LSN world indicating the change we sense JR and the economy have brought? like, did JR ever drop a line somewhere saying they intend to overtake yale in gpa this year, or that their admissions philosophies have changed, or anything?

the quartiles for those admitted this cycle on LSN so far are 3.87/3.94/3.98 and 173/175/176. the spreads are narrower than usual for LSN, and gpa's don't dip as low as usual for LSN. speculation, anyone?

edit: fixed typo to change median from 3.97 to 3.94.
Last edited by georgina on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genki

Postby Genki » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:02 pm

I hope so. Harvard is a reach for me (both GPA and LSAT are right around average if you only look at my highest LSAT) but i'd still like to hear something even if it results in a waitlist/rejection.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:06 pm

LSN is subject to substantial selection bias, and I wouldn't trust it for data on medians or attempted medians. Also, I would guess that borderline candidates (those with low LSATs or GPAs) are admitted later, so whatever percentiles are reported right now will probably go down in the final analysis. In addition, a fair few of the highest numbers will go to Stanford or Yale or get Hamiltons or Darrows, but the lower numbers will be much more likely to matriculate.

That said, they're definitely trying to pull up their GPA median and 25th percentile this year. Bad news for me. I was in the 25th-50th GPA range last year, but I suspect I'll be in the sub-25th range this year. Still above 75th LSAT, though.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:19 pm

BenJ wrote:LSN is subject to substantial selection bias, and I wouldn't trust it for data on medians or attempted medians. Also, I would guess that borderline candidates (those with low LSATs or GPAs) are admitted later, so whatever percentiles are reported right now will probably go down in the final analysis. In addition, a fair few of the highest numbers will go to Stanford or Yale or get Hamiltons or Darrows, but the lower numbers will be much more likely to matriculate.

That said, they're definitely trying to pull up their GPA median and 25th percentile this year. Bad news for me. I was in the 25th-50th GPA range last year, but I suspect I'll be in the sub-25th range this year. Still above 75th LSAT, though.

this is the kind of stuff for which i was requesting evidence. anyone have any evidence outside of tls/lsn?

and also, on the untrustworthiness of lsn, the medians for lsat and gpa have been pretty consistent for the past few years. i know it's not going to be representative of applicants at large, but the consistency seems to indicate lsn years can be compared against each other.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:23 pm

georgina wrote:
BenJ wrote:LSN is subject to substantial selection bias, and I wouldn't trust it for data on medians or attempted medians. Also, I would guess that borderline candidates (those with low LSATs or GPAs) are admitted later, so whatever percentiles are reported right now will probably go down in the final analysis. In addition, a fair few of the highest numbers will go to Stanford or Yale or get Hamiltons or Darrows, but the lower numbers will be much more likely to matriculate.

this is the kind of stuff for which i was requesting evidence. anyone have any evidence outside of tls/lsn?

and also, on the untrustworthiness of lsn, the medians for lsat and gpa have been pretty consistent for the past few years. i know it's not going to be representative of applicants at large, but the consistency seems to indicate lsn years can be compared against each other.

Looking at some schools' Class profiles, it seems to hold true for at least the last three classes.

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:38 pm

booboo wrote:
georgina wrote:
BenJ wrote:That said, they're definitely trying to pull up their GPA median and 25th percentile this year.

Looking at some schools' Class profiles, it seems to hold true for at least the last three classes.

by "it," do you mean the theory of H trying to pull up GPA's this year? comparing trends seen on tls/lsn this year to previous official class profiles is still using tls/lsn evidence.

or by "it," do you mean a theory of rising GPA's spanning several years and that you've seen an increase in GPA's over the last 3 class profiles?

if it's the latter, hmm, i didn't realize that. bad news for me.

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:42 pm

georgina wrote:
booboo wrote:
georgina wrote:
BenJ wrote:That said, they're definitely trying to pull up their GPA median and 25th percentile this year.

by "it," do you mean the theory of H trying to pull up GPA's this year? comparing trends seen on tls/lsn this year to previous official class profiles is still using tls/lsn evidence.

or by "it," do you mean a theory of rising GPA's spanning several years and that you've seen an increase in GPA's over the last 3 class profiles?

if it's the latter, hmm, i didn't realize that. bad news for me.

Sorry about that, I meant you were right, the median (25/75 change slightly, but not significantly, IMO) numbers do not seem to change for the schools who have three year spans listed on TLS.

Zara

Postby Zara » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 pm

i wonder if he's finished for the day. It was 2am here when the first call was reported. It's 7am now...I hope he was saving international calls for the end of the day.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:36 pm

I wonder why Harvard would try to make any dramatic effort to change their GPA numbers.

The YHS trio seem pretty locked in place and it's not like Harvard will overtake Yale in the rankings just because they pushed their GPA median up a few hundreths of a point.

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Sogui wrote:I wonder why Harvard would try to make any dramatic effort to change their GPA numbers.

The YHS trio seem pretty locked in place and it's not like Harvard will overtake Yale in the rankings just because they pushed their GPA median up a few hundreths of a point.

Especially when what seems to be holding them back in the rankings is their large class size. :?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:45 pm

Sogui wrote:The YHS trio seem pretty locked in place

Do you mean YHS at the top (as in the trio) is locked down? Or that Y, H, S (in that order) is locked down? I agree with the former, disagree with the latter. If you look at average ranking over the past 10-15 years, Yale averages, well 1.00, while Stanford averages 2.31 and Harvard averages 2.69.

YHS are all well ahead of Columbia, which is fourth at 4.28.

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:56 pm

crackberry wrote:

Do you mean YHS at the top (as in the trio) is locked down? Or that Y, H, S (in that order) is locked down? I agree with the former, disagree with the latter. If you look at average ranking over the past 10-15 years, Yale averages, well 1.00, while Stanford averages 2.31 and Harvard averages 2.69.

Weren't Harvard and Stanford tied for #2 recently?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:00 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Weren't Harvard and Stanford tied for #2 recently?

Yes in the second-most recent version of the rankings (2009 maybe? I forget how the dates work).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”