Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Diamond

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:38 am

Burger in a can wrote:Hello Harvard Folks!

I've never posted in this thread because I'm not Harvard material, but I thought I would pass along this little story. I work as a gas station attendant (pump jockey... thank you, economy, for all of your sweet blessings...) and this evening I was filling up a car with a Harvard Law School sticker on it. I asked the older gentleman driver if he had gone to HLS, and he told me that his daughter just graduated a couple of years ago. I meekly muttered about my aspirations to attend UConn and he said, "Hey, law school is law school, man. My daughter went to Harvard, but she's got plenty of student loans to pay off now, just like anyone else." I smiled and was about to talk about how maybe I was wise for pursuing a less expensive state school, when he interrupted me, "But she has a REALLY great fuckin' job! That's for sure! Nope, she doesn't have to worry about employment! She went to HARVARD!!!" He exploded into a deep Santa-esque laugh and accelerated into the night. I wasn't sure whether to wave and smile or killself, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Anyway... good luck, smart people!
LOL. Phenomenal.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:38 am

managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:

I've never posted in this thread because I'm not Harvard material, but I thought I would pass along this little story. I work as a gas station attendant (pump jockey... thank you, economy, for all of your sweet blessings...) and this evening I was filling up a car with a Harvard Law School sticker on it. I asked the older gentleman driver if he had gone to HLS, and he told me that his daughter just graduated a couple of years ago. I meekly muttered about my aspirations to attend UConn and he said, "Hey, law school is law school, man. My daughter went to Harvard, but she's got plenty of student loans to pay off now, just like anyone else." I smiled and was about to talk about how maybe I was wise for pursuing a less expensive state school, when he interrupted me, "But she has a REALLY great fuckin' job! That's for sure! Nope, she doesn't have to worry about employment! She went to HARVARD!!!" He exploded into a deep Santa-esque laugh and accelerated into the night. I wasn't sure whether to wave and smile or killself, but I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Anyway... good luck, smart people!
Parents can be real douches about their children. I bet his daughter would have been mortified if she'd been there. At least, I hope she would have been!

At least you know there won't be any pretension at UConn. Although thankfully HLS is at least somewhat better than Harvard College in that regard. (Thankfully if I get in, anyway!)
I LOL'd and cringed at the same time. It's exactly the sort of thing that my dad would do, minus the expletive, and it's true that it's embarrassing.
who are you and what have you done with the real managamy

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 am

GargamelITT wrote:
managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:

Parents can be real douches about their children. I bet his daughter would have been mortified if she'd been there. At least, I hope she would have been!

At least you know there won't be any pretension at UConn. Although thankfully HLS is at least somewhat better than Harvard College in that regard. (Thankfully if I get in, anyway!)
I LOL'd and cringed at the same time. It's exactly the sort of thing that my dad would do, minus the expletive, and it's true that it's embarrassing.
who are you and what have you done with the real managamy
I mugged him and stole his acceptance letters. Then I hacked his accounts and withdrew his remaining apps. I let him keep his wallet.

:mrgreen:

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:49 am

managamy wrote:I let him keep his wallet.

:mrgreen:
that was particularly nice of you. stick around for a while though - despite the mugging incident, you seem like the better guy IMO

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:56 am

You live in New Jersey or Oregon?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:59 am

crackberry wrote:

i'm really curious what's causing you to guess that. am i missing something in his profile?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:00 am

GargamelITT wrote:
crackberry wrote:

i'm really curious what's causing you to guess that. am i missing something in his profile?
Those are the only states where you can't pump your own gas.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:01 am

GargamelITT wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:<snip>
He pumps other people's gas. In New Jersey and Oregon, self-serve gasoline is illegal, and all stations are full-serve. While it is possible that he works a full-serve station somewhere else, it greatly increases the odds that he's in NJ or OR.

Good catch!
Last edited by BenJ on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:02 am

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:02 am

ah, got it. good catch indeed

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:08 am

As though someone related to an HLS student would ever pump their own gas. For shame. :wink:

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:11 am

Last edited by Burger in a can on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 am

Burger in a can wrote:Moral of the story: Ladies and Gentlemen, please tip your gas pump jockey. He just might be saving up for law school! :) I should put that on a t-shirt to wear to work...

(or pump your own gas, you freakin' snob)
My dad tips if they clean the windshield to his satisfaction. If it still looks streaky, there's no tip. I must admit that it isn't always easy being his son.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:21 am

GargamelITT wrote:ah, got it. good catch indeed
I'm from NYC (gas is way cheaper in NJ) and spent every summer of my life until I was 16 in Oregon. I know things.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:44 am

Can't sleep... hasn't ANYONE gotten a JR1 email this week?

Heck I've only confirmed 3 JR1 emails for last week!

Surely we'd be hearing more if they were sending them out at a steady pace.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:50 am

Sogui wrote:Can't sleep... hasn't ANYONE gotten a JR1 email this week?

Heck I've only confirmed 3 JR1 emails for last week!

Surely we'd be hearing more if they were sending them out at a steady pace.
Maybe waiting a few weeks to review all the apps that came in at the last minute / got held.

sukaili

New

Post by sukaili » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:16 am

Just got an application complete email (never had a JR1). Game over, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

examplepdf

New

Post by examplepdf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 am

sukaili wrote:Just got an application complete email (never had a JR1). Game over, right?
+1

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:23 am

sukaili wrote:Just got an application complete email (never had a JR1). Game over, right?
no, for the bazillionth time. it seems that the complete e-mail can come before or after the JR1 e-mail or pretty much simultaneous.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:35 am

managamy wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Moral of the story: Ladies and Gentlemen, please tip your gas pump jockey. He just might be saving up for law school! :) I should put that on a t-shirt to wear to work...

(or pump your own gas, you freakin' snob)
My dad tips if they clean the windshield to his satisfaction. If it still looks streaky, there's no tip. I must admit that it isn't always easy being his son.
i would believe that from "this managamy" but would have expected the previous (real) managamy to laugh along with his father at such a gas station incident.

legalnoeagle

Bronze

Post by legalnoeagle » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 am

Complete email this morning, UR 1/27. No JR1. Seems like the majority of people got their JR1 before going complete...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:19 am

+1 for going complete this morning

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:32 am

+2. Again, taking comfort in the lack of JR1 emails recently but not optimistic any more. I'm hoping that they're just slowing down to deal with the last-minute application surge.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

+5

Went U.R. on 1/22
Complete this morning
:(

I might go look at the Harvard 2009 thread now, or just give up all-together.

Even if I still have a chance, Harvard is definitely telling me that I'm really borderline. I wasn't sure how my application would look to them, I got into NYU/Columbia with almost no hesitation and was hoping I would at least get a JR1 quickly before they let me hang in purgatory.

My only hope is that the influx of late-Jan. apps and the app surge this year is causing Harvard to pause and consider the remaining applicant pool for a while longer before moving ahead the series of calls that will determine the remaining class of 2010.

CanadianEH

New

Post by CanadianEH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:50 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about the complete-before-jr1, at least I am not. looknig at this thread, there have been VERY few JR1's going out recently, which would seem to corroborate the idea that they are indeed slowing down to look at more applications before plowing ahead with interviews.

This is the logic that keeps me sane, anyway.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”