Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:58 pm

Zara wrote:just had my jr1, it lasted about 5 minutes. I think it went pretty well. I was clearly nervous but I didn't stumble over my words or anything. He was much more casual than I expected which helped. He seemed like he wanted it to be pretty short so I didnt get to talk about most of the things I had prepared to say. It went well...I think. He did kind of chuckle when I said I felt comfortable when I visited Harvard...probably hears that a lot. hope that isnt a bad thing. At least I didnt say anything ridiculous or crazy and he told me I sound like i have a really good focus for what I want to do. maybe that's good? Ahhh! :?

Sounds like one of the best JR1s of the cycle that has been reported on these pages. It's always good news when he chuckles in a friendly way.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 pm

managamy wrote:
Zara wrote:just had my jr1, it lasted about 5 minutes. I think it went pretty well. I was clearly nervous but I didn't stumble over my words or anything. He was much more casual than I expected which helped. He seemed like he wanted it to be pretty short so I didnt get to talk about most of the things I had prepared to say. It went well...I think. He did kind of chuckle when I said I felt comfortable when I visited Harvard...probably hears that a lot. hope that isnt a bad thing. At least I didnt say anything ridiculous or crazy and he told me I sound like i have a really good focus for what I want to do. maybe that's good? Ahhh! :?

Sounds like one of the best JR1s of the cycle that has been reported on these pages. It's always good news when he chuckles in a friendly way.

+1 looks like it went great. good luck on monday!

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:25 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:
Zara wrote: he told me I sound like i have a really good focus for what I want to do. maybe that's good? Ahhh! :?

that sounds really good!!! you actually got a compliment from JR!

mine was 11 minutes, because i asked about the canceled PSI (was that risky?) and he spent some time defending that, saying they canceled it to transfer more funds and improve their LRAP...i asked about study abroad because i love traveling and i thought it was strange that he said, "yes we have lots of options, study clinic research blah blah blah abroad, if that's your thing" :/

i don't know if the length was that great of a factor - in fact many of the people who quickly got JR2s had shorter interviews, and i've had a history of blabbing on and then getting rejected --;

IMO that was kind of risky. an interview should be all about why you are awesome, and why the school is awesome for you. you should have saved that question for after you get the JR2.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

englawyer wrote:
ivorynightfall wrote:
Zara wrote: he told me I sound like i have a really good focus for what I want to do. maybe that's good? Ahhh! :?

that sounds really good!!! you actually got a compliment from JR!

mine was 11 minutes, because i asked about the canceled PSI (was that risky?) and he spent some time defending that, saying they canceled it to transfer more funds and improve their LRAP...i asked about study abroad because i love traveling and i thought it was strange that he said, "yes we have lots of options, study clinic research blah blah blah abroad, if that's your thing" :/

i don't know if the length was that great of a factor - in fact many of the people who quickly got JR2s had shorter interviews, and i've had a history of blabbing on and then getting rejected --;

IMO that was kind of risky. an interview should be all about why you are awesome, and why the school is awesome for you. you should have saved that question for after you get the JR2.

I didn't want to say so initially, but I agree. Who knows, though?

Also, in a later conversation that I had with him, I noticed that the abroad stuff doesn't really ring his bells for some reason.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:35 pm

englawyer wrote:
managamy wrote:

+1 looks like it went great. good luck on monday!

+1. Conversely, though, don't get depressed if the JR2 doesn't arrive immediately; they often don't.

chopsticks3092

Postby chopsticks3092 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Just had JR1! Over 10 minutes, I think it went well. No chuckle though. Damn.
Last edited by chopsticks3092 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm

managamy wrote:Also, in a later conversation that I had with him, I noticed that the abroad stuff doesn't really ring his bells for some reason.

Why would you want to go to Harvard just to leave for a semester? Spend all 3 years there, then go travel. Study abroad is for undergrads, imho.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
managamy wrote:Also, in a later conversation that I had with him, I noticed that the abroad stuff doesn't really ring his bells for some reason.

Why would you want to go to Harvard just to leave for a semester? Spend all 3 years there, then go travel. Study abroad is for undergrads, imho.

Duh, it's a chance to thaw out in a warmer climate before heading back to the polar zone.

Zara

Postby Zara » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

he said in my interview that harvard is a place that you could spend 10 years at and still not do everything you want, so he told me to really find a focus early on and use every resource harvard has to offer in line with that interest. so maybe he feels that people who go abroad aren't fully using the resources available to them if they are not physically at harvard.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:47 pm

managamy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Duh, it's a chance to thaw out in a warmer climate before heading back to the polar zone.

my girlfriend discussed this with the dean of a prominent law school. the reality of the situation is that when you are competing for positions at OCI, this can be seen as a negative (not fully committed to law/career). so even though most schools have those programs, very few actually take part in them. maybe someone actually in law school already can shed some light.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:50 pm

englawyer wrote:
managamy wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

my girlfriend discussed this with the dean of a prominent law school. the reality of the situation is that when you are competing for positions at OCI, this can be seen as a negative (not fully committed to law/career). so even though most schools have those programs, very few actually take part in them. maybe someone actually in law school already can shed some light.

Definitely credited; I was joking and probably should have included an emoticon. :wink:

On another note, it seems like a waste of money for law schools to have those programs if they're detrimental to their students.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:57 pm

managamy wrote:On another note, it seems like a waste of money for law schools to have those programs if they're detrimental to their students.

I was thinking about doing the Duke in DC program, but I think it's a bit different than a study abroad program (and would be helpful in getting some careers). I'm sure Harvard offers something similar which would also be better for your career than studying abroad (yet you can't defrost as well in DC).

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Fef619 wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
mockstar wrote:Ah, I have indeed been held! Stupid e-mail ended up in the trash on 1/6. I suppose that puts me out of some of the misery, somewhat.

Geez, what kind of email service would filter something from Harvard Law Admissions to trash/spam? That's insane.

A very low rate email service

It was actually gmail. Everybody makes mistakes. I forgive you, gmail.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Sogui wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Core wrote:Some of us have been waiting for JR2's since November. You don't want to be in that club.

I don't know which one's worse, no JR1 or no JR2 but personally I'd like to have at least a JR1.

Yea in the short-term I'd hate to get a JR1 but no JR2, but at least I'd only have to sit by the phone one day a week as opposed to checking my inbox compulsively 5 days a week.

In the long-run I agree with Hanzo, it would do better for my self-esteem if I knew that Harvard at least thought I was interesting enough to talk to... as opposed to shutting me down without even an interview.

JR: Yea I took a look at your app, your numbers are fine but you are such a boring person that I didn't even have to talk to you to know you weren't Harvard material...

Precisely. I am slightly relieved by Columbia+Butler but no JR1 is like a slap in the face.

TLS is bad for my self-esteem, every time something good happens to me (Got accepted to Columbia, no schollys though)... I only hear from people who did better than me.

Me: Yay I got into Columbia!
A: Me too, with a Hamilton... didn't even know about the Hamilton until I got it!*
*true story
B: Me too, with a Butler!
C: Yea, I got my JR2 on the same day... what a week!
D: Grats on Columbia, I withdrew after I got my Yale acceptance, good school though.
E: Eh, east coast doesn't really do it for me, that's why I'm headed to Stanford next fall!!!
Me: :(

Only on TLS could I get accepted to CLS and still feel behind the curve.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:18 am

Sogui wrote:Me: Yay I got into Columbia!
A: Me too, with a Hamilton... didn't even know about the Hamilton until I got it!*
*true story
D: Grats on Columbia, I withdrew after I got my Yale acceptance, good school though.
E: Eh, east coast doesn't really do it for me, that's why I'm headed to Stanford next fall!!!

+10000 I feel ya

chopsticks3092

Postby chopsticks3092 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:35 am

Last edited by chopsticks3092 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

sayan

Postby sayan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 am

Sogui wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Sogui wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Yea in the short-term I'd hate to get a JR1 but no JR2, but at least I'd only have to sit by the phone one day a week as opposed to checking my inbox compulsively 5 days a week.

In the long-run I agree with Hanzo, it would do better for my self-esteem if I knew that Harvard at least thought I was interesting enough to talk to... as opposed to shutting me down without even an interview.

JR: Yea I took a look at your app, your numbers are fine but you are such a boring person that I didn't even have to talk to you to know you weren't Harvard material...

Precisely. I am slightly relieved by Columbia+Butler but no JR1 is like a slap in the face.

TLS is bad for my self-esteem, every time something good happens to me (Got accepted to Columbia, no schollys though)... I only hear from people who did better than me.

Me: Yay I got into Columbia!
*true story

Made me LOL :)

And you're still in the top 99 percentile with an almost guaranteed good job. Congrats!

I'm glad a place like TLS exists though. It's definitely pushing me to my limits and gives me the motivation to never settle. Even at the Olympic level, there are winners and losers, but they're all superhuman.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:30 am

Unfortunately none of us will gain superpowers from attending law school. Just debt and work exhaustion.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 am

sayan wrote:Made me LOL :)

And you're still in the top 99 percentile with an almost guaranteed good job. Congrats!

I'm glad a place like TLS exists though. It's definitely pushing me to my limits and gives me the motivation to never settle. Even at the Olympic level, there are winners and losers, but they're all superhuman.

I agree completely. I've never seen such a collection of brilliant, impressive people. Even if they do make us feel very small from time to time :)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 am

chopsticks3092 wrote:
Sogui wrote:I haven't heard of ANY JR1 emails going out past the 22nd except for Zara's JR1 email that went out on the 28th... the phone interview thread has been dead and NO ONE else here has mentioned getting a JR1 after the 22nd.

I got my JR1 email on 1/28 as well and had my JR1 today.

I hope it went well! When did you go UR?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

I agree completely. I've never seen such a collection of brilliant, impressive people. Even if they do make us feel very small from time to time :)

What are you talking about, they, Mr. YLS?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 am

BenJ wrote:What are you talking about, they, Mr. YLS?

Even a YLS admit can feel small next to people who have swept the T-6 w/ Hamiltons and Darrows and whatnot. Remember, I'm only a 3.8/172. Hell, I got WL'd at Chicago and will likely get the same treatment from Michigan.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting these brilliant people at the ASWs and at LS next year.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:36 am

BenJ wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

+1. A Yale admit shouldn't feel small next to anyone.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:55 am

managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:

+1. A Yale admit shouldn't feel small next to anyone.

Don't let them kid you...you know you're small next to me. But that's only because I'm extremely buff and ridiculously good looking...

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 am

TheWire wrote:
I'm extremely buff and ridiculously good looking...

Are you sure that you belong in the legal profession? :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”