Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
englawyer

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:03 pm

i think they are more apt to accept say a 172/4 rather than a 177/3.65. that wasn't true last year, but could be true this year.

knola002

Postby knola002 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:30 pm

Congrats new admits :D

portena

Postby portena » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:36 pm

I hope he's not done for the day! This is the second monday after my JR1 :?

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:40 pm

portena wrote:I hope he's not done for the day! This is the second monday after my JR1 :?

If it makes you feel any better, and it won't, I've now gone 25 days without any news post JR1. :wink:

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Congrats to all those who are getting their emails and calls from Josh.

But I would TRULY appreciate it if you guys posted the dates you went under review. I hate being clueless as to whether I'm getting "left behind" for JR1 calls.

Then again there are guys like Newcastle and someone who got a Hamilton from Columbia who have been U.R. for 2 weeks or more without hearing from JR despite the fact that they should be shoo-ins for at least one call from JR.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm

SolarWind wrote:yeah i definitely think they're keeping the 173 Median... but also moving up the GPA. I mean the chart for this year shows way less 3.7 & 176+ accepted so far. Or maybe they just admit them after Feb. 1?

Here's hoping...

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm

I applied on 1/4 and have yet to go to complete. Is your application not considered complete until after the JR1? I thought not everyone even gets a JR1.

adameus

Postby adameus » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I applied on 1/4 and have yet to go to complete. Is your application not considered complete until after the JR1? I thought not everyone even gets a JR1.

I got my complete email the day after my JR1. Not sure what happens if you don't get a JR1...

dcchillin

Postby dcchillin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm

Sogui wrote:Congrats to all those who are getting their emails and calls from Josh.

But I would TRULY appreciate it if you guys posted the dates you went under review. I hate being clueless as to whether I'm getting "left behind" for JR1 calls.

Then again there are guys like Newcastle and someone who got a Hamilton from Columbia who have been U.R. for 2 weeks or more without hearing from JR despite the fact that they should be shoo-ins for at least one call from JR.

UR 12/23; JR1 email 1/4; JR1 1/7

This was helpful for me in this regard: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93290

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I applied on 1/4 and have yet to go to complete. Is your application not considered complete until after the JR1? I thought not everyone even gets a JR1.

You should go UR on the status checker before getting the JR1 e-mail, but it seems like most people don't get the complete e-mail until after the JR1.

pocketwatcher

Postby pocketwatcher » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Have been UR since 11/23 and not a peep since then. Am definitely past the two month notification timetable and no JR1. Anyone else in the same boat?

I've pretty much given up hope. I assume this is appropriate.

GPA: 3.88
LSAT: 169

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:23 pm

dcchillin wrote:
Sogui wrote:Congrats to all those who are getting their emails and calls from Josh.

UR 12/23; JR1 email 1/4; JR1 1/7

This was helpful for me in this regard: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93290

That thread doesn't have much info from 2010 now that the apps are really flooding in.

For 95% of candidates in that thread until now:

1. Go under review on status checker.
2. Get JR1 email 3-5 days later.
3. Have JR1 interview 2-3'ish days later
4. Go complete within a day or two of the JR1

I saw like ONE GUY who had his months mixed up, but it APPEARS he might have had to wait 13 days from 1/7 to 1/20 for his U.R. to JR1 email gap. That's about the most hopeful news I could dig up in this thread. This is day 7 for me... I'm REALLY hoping that due to the flood of January apps that JR is spreading out the interviews more.

P.S. If you went U.R. before Christmas and got the JR1 email on Jan.4th that doesn't really count due to Holidays.

The Human Fund

Postby The Human Fund » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:52 pm

So it looks like going under review AND then complete with no JR1 = no thanks?

Sorry if it's been asked a million times already. Just trying to catch up on the thread.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 pm

SolarWind wrote:yeah i definitely think they're keeping the 173 Median... but also moving up the GPA. I mean the chart for this year shows way less 3.7 & 176+ accepted so far. Or maybe they just admit them after Feb. 1?

you're right. for some reason i just assumed a tradeoff between higher gpas and the lsat median.

the gpa median for this year's class is going to be stratospheric it looks like

The Human Fund

Postby The Human Fund » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 pm

The Human Fund wrote:So it looks like going under review AND then complete with no JR1 = no thanks?

Sorry if it's been asked a million times already. Just trying to catch up on the thread.

For clarification, I ask because I went complete in the last week, and then went to the status checker and noticed that it was "application under review" almost 2 weeks before the complete email.

I was surprised because of the way they define complete, i.e. all material assembled and sent to committee for review. But now I see on here all kinds of people have interviews before going complete.

So I'm not in very good shape eh?

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:11 pm

The Human Fund wrote:
The Human Fund wrote:So it looks like going under review AND then complete with no JR1 = no thanks?

For clarification, I ask because I went complete in the last week, and then went to the status checker and noticed that it was "application under review" almost 2 weeks before the complete email.

I was surprised because of the way they define complete, i.e. all material assembled and sent to committee for review. But now I see on here all kinds of people have interviews before going complete.

Edited for facepalm'ing.

I was wrong, apparently it's not too uncommon for people to get JR1's after going complete, by varying margins of time.
Last edited by Sogui on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Human Fund

Postby The Human Fund » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Sogui wrote:I would guess not.

Usually "complete" for Harvard means you have submitted all the required materials AND completed the first interview, which all admitted students must complete. So if you go complete without hearing anything form JR I would guess that means you're done, and without a JR1 in your file that means you're dead in the water.

I'm not 100% sure, there might be some rare exceptions.

PapantlaFlyer

Postby PapantlaFlyer » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:21 pm

Sogui wrote:
The Human Fund wrote:

I would guess not.

Usually "complete" for Harvard means you have submitted all the required materials AND completed the first interview, which all admitted students must complete. So if you go complete without hearing anything form JR I would guess that means you're done, and without a JR1 in your file that means you're dead in the water.

This is wrong. There are many applicants who went complete before receiving the JR1 email, some by days, some by weeks. Usually people with auto-admit numbers hear back very quickly after applying, so they get the JR1 email before the complete email. But other applicants usually go complete first, so don't worry if you have competitive numbers - you're still in the game.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:26 pm

talibkweli wrote:

you're right. for some reason i just assumed a tradeoff between higher gpas and the lsat median.

the gpa median for this year's class is going to be stratospheric it looks like

But wouldn't they admit the strongest applicants early in the cycle, and wait to make a decision on those with more borderline numbers?

I mean, their median GPA is already almost at 3.9 -- hard to go up any more than that, especially when you're picking from a limited universe of (largely) people with 173+ LSAT scores.

Of course I say this self-interestedly, because my 3.73 probably looks pretty piddling to Harvard, but I'm hoping they love me anyway.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

The fact that I'm making people feel less stressed by my not having been contacted yet really makes me feel better about this as well.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm

pocketwatcher wrote:Have been UR since 11/23 and not a peep since then. Am definitely past the two month notification timetable and no JR1. Anyone else in the same boat?

What is your complete date. This friday or maybe the next you should get a hold or rejection email as nearly everyone complete 11/25 or earlier has received these.

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:10 pm

PapantlaFlyer wrote:
Sogui wrote:
The Human Fund wrote:

I would guess not.

This is wrong. There are many applicants who went complete before receiving the JR1 email, some by days, some by weeks. Usually people with auto-admit numbers hear back very quickly after applying, so they get the JR1 email before the complete email. But other applicants usually go complete first, so don't worry if you have competitive numbers - you're still in the game.

/ relieved.

The Human Fund

Postby The Human Fund » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

CanadianEH wrote:/ relieved.

Yeah, at least somewhat.

What I'd like to know is that for applicants who had the similar UR => Complete with no JR1 and eventually were dinged outright, how long the typical wait was for that.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm

The Human Fund wrote:
CanadianEH wrote:/ relieved.

Yeah, at least somewhat.

What I'd like to know is that for applicants who had the similar UR => Complete with no JR1 and eventually were dinged outright, how long the typical wait was for that.

It varies, but dings and holds generally go out 2 to 3 months after the applicant is under review.

pocketwatcher

Postby pocketwatcher » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
pocketwatcher wrote:Have been UR since 11/23 and not a peep since then. Am definitely past the two month notification timetable and no JR1. Anyone else in the same boat?

What is your complete date. This friday or maybe the next you should get a hold or rejection email as nearly everyone complete 11/25 or earlier has received these.

I went complete on 12/1. From looking at LSN, it seems that about half of the people who applied around the time I did still have not received a decision. It's just the no JR1 thing that worries me . . . plus the rejection letter I got from Yale today. *Sigh*

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”