Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheLuckyOne

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby TheLuckyOne » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:29 pm

Chichaca wrote:By the way, Harvard, if you really are worried about your yield, I just want you to know I'm a sure bet. I'd never turn you down, baby.

haha, awesome!!! :lol:

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:47 pm

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/KuroiTsuki

Looks like the JR1 is no longer just for 3.9+ GPA.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Chichaca wrote:Perhaps they are just interviewing more applicants this year, fewer of whom will be accepted than in the past?

This is what I'm thinking. I'm hoping it's not true, but all signs point to this. Though there are some people on TLS who I thought would've gotten emails by now if it were definitively the case...

EDIT: I'm confused. I have no idea. Like Gargamel, don't take what I say even at all seriously.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:26 pm

musketeerlady wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/KuroiTsuki

The 179 more than makes up for it.

lawnerd

Postby lawnerd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:00 pm

violaboy wrote:

You need to remember that this candidate has been out of undergraduate school for 4-5 years and has extensive work experience that may be interesting to JR. I don't believe those who are just finishing up undergraduate school are evaluated in the same way as someone who has been in the work force for several years.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:58 pm

lawnerd wrote:
violaboy wrote:

You need to remember that this candidate has been out of undergraduate school for 4-5 years and has extensive work experience that may be interesting to JR. I don't believe those who are just finishing up undergraduate school are evaluated in the same way as someone who has been in the work force for several years.

Of course, I understand, and I think it's fair that way. There just have been previous theories on how the JR1 goes out first to people with high GPA, so there's a data point to ponder otherwise.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:03 pm

crackberry wrote:
Chichaca wrote:Perhaps they are just interviewing more applicants this year, fewer of whom will be accepted than in the past?

This is what I'm thinking. I'm hoping it's not true, but all signs point to this. Though there are some people on TLS who I thought would've gotten emails by now if it were definitively the case...

EDIT: I'm confused. I have no idea. Like Gargamel, don't take what I say even at all seriously.

It may be true that they are giving phone interviews to a greater number of applicants this year, but I don't think that's terribly likely. I just dont think that they would switch up the whole process during the first year of the new Dean's tenure. Maybe after a few years, JR may decide that he'd like to see the process changed in X or Y way, but I doubt they'd switch it up so drastically this early.

...but maybe that's just me being naively optimistic

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:51 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

It may be true that they are giving phone interviews to a greater number of applicants this year, but I don't think that's terribly likely. I just dont think that they would switch up the whole process during the first year of the new Dean's tenure. Maybe after a few years, JR may decide that he'd like to see the process changed in X or Y way, but I doubt they'd switch it up so drastically this early.

...but maybe that's just me being naively optimistic

i dont think they are granting more interviews this yr than any other cycle...mainly because KB said they were planning on giving about the same # of interviews (1000-1100) lol.

now could they be heavy-loading the interviews in the beginning of the process this time? who knows...

and to the all signs point to this comment, i dont really think so...i dont see all signs pointing that way at all lol. a lot of people who got interview calls have AMAZING numbers (coughmarblecoughT14cough) but then there are also those w/ interview-worthy numbers who applied early NOT getting calls. /shrugs - we're thinking this is too numbers based imo. JR is probably reading through the apps in order and seeing which he likes...within a competitive scope. 4.0/170 is competitive...i mean, last yr in the first batch there were ppl w/ those numbers (roughly) who were interviewed and accepted.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:53 pm

mozhou7 wrote:I just received the e-mail for interview...

I CAN"T BELIEVE IT! I only have a lowly 170/4.0...the only reason I am retaking in Dec is for this interview...and now I get it...I am confused...I have been studyin for 2 months.

Say I already get the interview...does my 170 still hold me back?

VoidSix wrote:I don't think anyone can answer that question, but congrats.

:P i can. your 170 holds you back as much as it held you back pre-interview email. the interview is not stage 2 of the app process, it is just another (albeit necessary) element of the whole thing. KB made it very clear in the info session i attended that while you NEED an interview to get accepted, just having it does not mean the rest of your app is already 'done' being reviewed. its not.

she even said that if you do NOT get in after getting a JR1, its not necessarily because you screwed up the interview -- could be due to other reasons (ex: 170, but just an example).

cougit

Postby cougit » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
mozhou7 wrote:I just received the e-mail for interview...

I CAN"T BELIEVE IT! I only have a lowly 170/4.0...the only reason I am retaking in Dec is for this interview...and now I get it...I am confused...I have been studyin for 2 months.

Say I already get the interview...does my 170 still hold me back?

VoidSix wrote:I don't think anyone can answer that question, but congrats.

:P i can. your 170 holds you back as much as it held you back pre-interview email. the interview is not stage 2 of the app process, it is just another (albeit necessary) element of the whole thing. KB made it very clear in the info session i attended that while you NEED an interview to get accepted, just having it does not mean the rest of your app is already 'done' being reviewed. its not.

she even said that if you do NOT get in after getting a JR1, its not necessarily because you screwed up the interview -- could be due to other reasons (ex: 170, but just an example).

Good point. I do think, though, with a low LSAT (low for Harvard I mean--170 is a great score) your interview becomes a lot more important. If you absolutely wow JR in the interview, your LSAT and/or GPA becomes less important than if you give an average interview. So, to the person with the 170, I would stop studying for the LSAT and start thinking about what you can say to prove to JR that you belong at Harvard.

Congrats though, I'm still hoping for an interview!

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:30 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49256&hilit=ts2

It's threads like these that keep me hopeful. Its from last cycle. The comments are from the beginning of December (after the first batch of acceptances had gone out).

Nobody could find an example of someone who had gotten a TS1 in Oct/Nov and not getting the pre-Thanksgiving TS2.

joshikousei

Postby joshikousei » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:00 am

cougit wrote:
Good point. I do think, though, with a low LSAT (low for Harvard I mean--170 is a great score) your interview becomes a lot more important. If you absolutely wow JR in the interview, your LSAT and/or GPA becomes less important than if you give an average interview. So, to the person with the 170, I would stop studying for the LSAT and start thinking about what you can say to prove to JR that you belong at Harvard.

only to a minor extent. for the overwhelming majority of applicants in past cycles, it never seemed that performance during the interviews was the deciding factor. perhaps only for the select few that sound psychotic.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:11 am

joshikousei wrote:
cougit wrote:

only to a minor extent. for the overwhelming majority of applicants in past cycles, it never seemed that performance during the interviews was the deciding factor. perhaps only for the select few that sound psychotic.

+1 honestly, JR doesnt sound like he's REALLY trying to get to know you super well or that you would have a chance to wow him. it feels as if he's calling to just check if you can speak competently and have any idea at all on what you want to do w/ your life lol.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:13 am

sfdreaming09 wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49256&hilit=ts2

It's threads like these that keep me hopeful. Its from last cycle. The comments are from the beginning of December (after the first batch of acceptances had gone out).

Nobody could find an example of someone who had gotten a TS1 in Oct/Nov and not getting the pre-Thanksgiving TS2.

i found a different thread and read through the whole thing (yeah im bored) -- like i posted earlier, in that thread, everyone who got a TS1 AND posted in that thread eventually got a TS2. No one who had a TS1 and posted saying they didnt get a TS2 (from early batch) ended up never getting it -- they tended to get it in the following batches.

However, as some have pointed out, HLS seems to be doing things differently this yr w/ wanting to tell everyone either they are A/W/R by 2 months after they submit their apps. seems to kill the early interview buzz lol.

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 am

Thanks...haha, I am not going to keep my hopes up for the first batch.

I will get that 173+ in Dec, and prove I'm Harvard worthy...And hopefully get in later.

janer

Postby janer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:20 am

Just got the email from JR!!

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:17 am

janer wrote:Just got the email from JR!!

Congrats!

You made me check my mail and I had one from the admissions office...but it was just a complete email. I know I'm complete!! Grr...

janer

Postby janer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:20 am

Lysis wrote:
janer wrote:Just got the email from JR!!

Congrats!

You made me check my mail and I had one from the admissions office...but it was just a complete email. I know I'm complete!! Grr...

Hopefully you'll get yours soon. I got the complete email a week ago.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:23 am

janer wrote:Hopefully you'll get yours soon. I got the complete email a week ago.

It isnt looking good for me :( I have been complete for over three weeks

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:25 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
janer wrote:Hopefully you'll get yours soon. I got the complete email a week ago.

I'm not sure there's any correlation between complete emails and JR1s. I've been "under review" on the status checker for almost two weeks...I think they send out the complete emails in batches?

I did just realize that if I didn't know TLS existed, I wouldn't have had to start obsessively checking my status until today. I can only imagine what I would have done with all that time over the past few weeks. :?

mozhou7

Postby mozhou7 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:46 am

Lysis wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

I'm not sure there's any correlation between complete emails and JR1s. I've been "under review" on the status checker for almost two weeks...I think they send out the complete emails in batches?

I did just realize that if I didn't know TLS existed, I wouldn't have had to start obsessively checking my status until today. I can only imagine what I would have done with all that time over the past few weeks. :?

I received my interview e-mail yesterday, and complete e-mail this morning. Doubt there's any correlation at all.

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Just got a JR1! Scared and SUPER excited! :D

Timeline info:
  • Applied early October
  • Complete mid-October
  • JR1 e-mail today, 10/29

Some stats about me:
  • GPA: ~3.8
  • Mid-170s retake, low 160s original

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:52 pm

My status checker says I've now switched to "under review", ahhh!

lz06

Postby lz06 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm

[quote="DoubleChecks] However, as some have pointed out, HLS seems to be doing things differently this yr w/ wanting to tell everyone either they are A/W/R by 2 months after they submit their apps. seems to kill the early interview buzz lol.[/quote]

Wait did Harvard outright say that they are letting people know within 2 months or is this just an assumption?

js87

Postby js87 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm

For those of you who have received JR1 emails: How soon after your status changed to "under review" did you get that email?

Thanks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”