Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:59 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:bah, you guys are getting me worried about this timing thing too. i've got some stuff to send in (LOR, LOCI, new transcript for slightly improved GPA) but it's still all coming together. pretty big buzzkill if i get a negative or a WL before i can get that stuff in

Did you apply to Y or S? Are you dead set on CLS at this point barring an acceptance at H?

no Y. applied to S, but i think i'd take C with a significant amount of $ (which i think i should be able to pull) over it and think S is pretty unlikely anyway given unspectacular GPA and softs.

feel good about CLS, but i think i'd take HLS in almost any scenario. only a hamilton would have given me pause, and i didn't get one

Cool. Well congrats on CLS if I haven't already said it. I'm sure you'll get $50K+ from them when it's all said and done.

And you may yet get HLS.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Also did baiailan get CLS yet?

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:08 pm

crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:bah, you guys are getting me worried about this timing thing too. i've got some stuff to send in (LOR, LOCI, new transcript for slightly improved GPA) but it's still all coming together. pretty big buzzkill if i get a negative or a WL before i can get that stuff in

Did you apply to Y or S? Are you dead set on CLS at this point barring an acceptance at H?

no Y. applied to S, but i think i'd take C with a significant amount of $ (which i think i should be able to pull) over it and think S is pretty unlikely anyway given unspectacular GPA and softs.

feel good about CLS, but i think i'd take HLS in almost any scenario. only a hamilton would have given me pause, and i didn't get one

Cool. Well congrats on CLS if I haven't already said it. I'm sure you'll get $50K+ from them when it's all said and done.

And you may yet get HLS.

thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 pm

got the Hold email today. Can't believe it (in the positive way). I'm not going to hold my breathe, but it's not a rejection!!!

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm

GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.

Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?

Madi57

Postby Madi57 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm

mockstar wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?

Complete 10/8. Still.

Me as well. Complete 10/8 and Application Under Review 9/28. Numbers welllll below medians.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Kulax22 wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.

Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?

i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI. for some reason that strikes me as maybe not being good etiquette. happy to be corrected on this though. certainly I'll express a ton of interest though. I'm sure there's no harm no foul there

teach12

Postby teach12 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 pm

adameus wrote:Had my JR1 today!

Just short of 8 minutes.

How long does it usually take to hear back?

I got a bit of the sense that he is getting tired of all these phone calls. Hopefully it wasn't just me....

Had my JR1 Wednesday, too... The waiting begins...

So, if accepted, we're likely to hear back Monday by phone? And status checker? And if not... then held, which likely means WL? Or reject?

Can someone offer clarity?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 pm

teach12 wrote:

Just short of 8 minutes.

I got a bit of the sense that he is getting tired of all these phone calls. Hopefully it wasn't just me....

So, if accepted, we're likely to hear back Monday by phone? And status checker? And if not... then held, which likely means WL? Or reject?

Sometimes, the turnaround from JR1 to JR2 is very fast, less than a week. But people have also gotten JR2s as long as two months after their JR1 this cycle--and there are still a bunch of early JR1s out there who might still get JR2s.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

teach12 wrote:

Just short of 8 minutes.

next monday is ideal but it could be any monday in the near future. i personally did not get the JR2 the following monday, but still got one eventually.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am

Madi57 wrote:
mockstar wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?

Complete 10/8. Still.

Me as well. Complete 10/8 and Application Under Review 9/28. Numbers welllll below medians.

Glad to see I'm not the only one from October who hadn't heard anything yet! I was beginning to think I'd fallen through the cracks. We should be friends.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 am

GargamelITT wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI. for some reason that strikes me as maybe not being good etiquette. happy to be corrected on this though. certainly I'll express a ton of interest though. I'm sure there's no harm no foul there

Yeah I'm not mentioning Stanford in my HLS LOCI.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:06 am

GargamelITT wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI.

It's probably bad form in almost any circumstance, but I suspect that it's especially bad form when one mentions an acceptance to a lower-ranked school. Harvard assumes that most everyone will turn down CLS for HLS. In mentioning that you would turn down CLS for HLS, you are implying that Columbia is a peer--or, even worse, a better--law school than Harvard.

At best, such a move is harmless; at worst, it earns you a prompt toss into the reject pile. I'd steer clear of mentioning other acceptances, particularly when dealing with HYS.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:38 am

brennanlives wrote:

Right here! I thought I was an easy rejection too... guess they are gonna let me sweat it out.

It really doesn't seem like there are many others. On LSN all the remaining pending complete in November seem to mention being held (if they contain any commentary at all).[/quote][/quote]

UR 11/23, not a sign of life from Harvard! Don't applications close next week, though?[/quote]
177 3.9???

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 am

Dignan wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI.

It's probably bad form in almost any circumstance, but I suspect that it's especially bad form when one mentions an acceptance to a lower-ranked school. Harvard assumes that most everyone will turn down CLS for HLS. In mentioning that you would turn down CLS for HLS, you are implying that Columbia is a peer--or, even worse, a better--law school than Harvard.

At best, such a move is harmless; at worst, it earns you a prompt toss into the reject pile. I'd steer clear of mentioning other acceptances, particularly when dealing with HYS.

I think he has a Hamilton @ C. That should make things better.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 am

Hey question -- on my status checker, I had been under review since 1/20. Then I got an email today saying my application was complete. Seemed kinda weird -- I figured it was complete while I was under review.

Does that mean anything, as to whether I still have a chance at getting a JR1?

champagnepopbottles

Postby champagnepopbottles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

Just to add my misery to the pot.

Submitted 11/17, UR 12/1 and jack since then.

Figured I'd at least be considered numbers wise, but then again it is Hah-vahd.

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:56 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
brennanlives wrote:

Right here! I thought I was an easy rejection too... guess they are gonna let me sweat it out.

It really doesn't seem like there are many others. On LSN all the remaining pending complete in November seem to mention being held (if they contain any commentary at all).
[/quote]

UR 11/23, not a sign of life from Harvard! Don't applications close next week, though?[/quote]
177 3.9???[/quote]

well i am a retaker (up 7-8 points from June) and my GPA was a 3.89 when applied--it went up .01 after the fall semester. still, i have some pretty good softs and LORs, so who knows really??

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am

Do JR2s only happen on Mondays? I want to know how many days of the week I need to obsessively check my phone every 5 minutes.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

yes, JR2 are ONLY on Mondays. take a break until Monday :P

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

brennanlives wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
brennanlives wrote:

It really doesn't seem like there are many others. On LSN all the remaining pending complete in November seem to mention being held (if they contain any commentary at all).

177 3.9???[/quote]

well i am a retaker (up 7-8 points from June) and my GPA was a 3.89 when applied--it went up .01 after the fall semester. still, i have some pretty good softs and LORs, so who knows really??[/quote]

it does look like Harvard averages LSAT then. 177/3.89 should be good to go numbers wise

gilagarta

Postby gilagarta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 pm

englawyer wrote:yes, JR2 are ONLY on Mondays. take a break until Monday :P

Will do! Now I can go back to checking NYU's admitted students site every 5 minutes to see if I can login there as well. It's good to get my priorities straight. :)

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:19 pm

jayzon wrote:I just got a "complete" email 11 days after my status went "in review." Is that normal?

That was about my time line.

CanadianEH

Postby CanadianEH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 pm

jayzon wrote:I just got a "complete" email 11 days after my status went "in review." Is that normal?

same for me. Hopefully no ding en route.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

jayzon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

That was about my time line.

Thanks. Still waiting to hear?

Yeah, though tracking this thread it seems like the inevitable ding is coming soon, based on the dates of people hearing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”