Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:59 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:bah, you guys are getting me worried about this timing thing too. i've got some stuff to send in (LOR, LOCI, new transcript for slightly improved GPA) but it's still all coming together. pretty big buzzkill if i get a negative or a WL before i can get that stuff in

Did you apply to Y or S? Are you dead set on CLS at this point barring an acceptance at H?


no Y. applied to S, but i think i'd take C with a significant amount of $ (which i think i should be able to pull) over it and think S is pretty unlikely anyway given unspectacular GPA and softs.

feel good about CLS, but i think i'd take HLS in almost any scenario. only a hamilton would have given me pause, and i didn't get one

Cool. Well congrats on CLS if I haven't already said it. I'm sure you'll get $50K+ from them when it's all said and done.

And you may yet get HLS.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Also did baiailan get CLS yet?

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:08 pm

crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:bah, you guys are getting me worried about this timing thing too. i've got some stuff to send in (LOR, LOCI, new transcript for slightly improved GPA) but it's still all coming together. pretty big buzzkill if i get a negative or a WL before i can get that stuff in

Did you apply to Y or S? Are you dead set on CLS at this point barring an acceptance at H?


no Y. applied to S, but i think i'd take C with a significant amount of $ (which i think i should be able to pull) over it and think S is pretty unlikely anyway given unspectacular GPA and softs.

feel good about CLS, but i think i'd take HLS in almost any scenario. only a hamilton would have given me pause, and i didn't get one

Cool. Well congrats on CLS if I haven't already said it. I'm sure you'll get $50K+ from them when it's all said and done.

And you may yet get HLS.


thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gymboree » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 pm

got the Hold email today. Can't believe it (in the positive way). I'm not going to hold my breathe, but it's not a rejection!!!

Kulax22
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 pm

GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.


Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?

Madi57
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Madi57 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm

mockstar wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?


Complete 10/8. Still.



Me as well. Complete 10/8 and Application Under Review 9/28. Numbers welllll below medians.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:43 pm

Kulax22 wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.


Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?


i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI. for some reason that strikes me as maybe not being good etiquette. happy to be corrected on this though. certainly I'll express a ton of interest though. I'm sure there's no harm no foul there

teach12
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby teach12 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 pm

adameus wrote:Had my JR1 today!

Just short of 8 minutes.

How long does it usually take to hear back?

I got a bit of the sense that he is getting tired of all these phone calls. Hopefully it wasn't just me....


Had my JR1 Wednesday, too... The waiting begins...

So, if accepted, we're likely to hear back Monday by phone? And status checker? And if not... then held, which likely means WL? Or reject?

Can someone offer clarity?

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BenJ » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 pm

teach12 wrote:
adameus wrote:Had my JR1 today!

Just short of 8 minutes.

How long does it usually take to hear back?

I got a bit of the sense that he is getting tired of all these phone calls. Hopefully it wasn't just me....


Had my JR1 Wednesday, too... The waiting begins...

So, if accepted, we're likely to hear back Monday by phone? And status checker? And if not... then held, which likely means WL? Or reject?

Can someone offer clarity?


Sometimes, the turnaround from JR1 to JR2 is very fast, less than a week. But people have also gotten JR2s as long as two months after their JR1 this cycle--and there are still a bunch of early JR1s out there who might still get JR2s.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 pm

teach12 wrote:
adameus wrote:Had my JR1 today!

Just short of 8 minutes.

How long does it usually take to hear back?

I got a bit of the sense that he is getting tired of all these phone calls. Hopefully it wasn't just me....


Had my JR1 Wednesday, too... The waiting begins...

So, if accepted, we're likely to hear back Monday by phone? And status checker? And if not... then held, which likely means WL? Or reject?

Can someone offer clarity?


next monday is ideal but it could be any monday in the near future. i personally did not get the JR2 the following monday, but still got one eventually.

mockstar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby mockstar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 am

Madi57 wrote:
mockstar wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?


Complete 10/8. Still.



Me as well. Complete 10/8 and Application Under Review 9/28. Numbers welllll below medians.


Glad to see I'm not the only one from October who hadn't heard anything yet! I was beginning to think I'd fallen through the cracks. We should be friends.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 am

GargamelITT wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.


Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?


i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI. for some reason that strikes me as maybe not being good etiquette. happy to be corrected on this though. certainly I'll express a ton of interest though. I'm sure there's no harm no foul there

Yeah I'm not mentioning Stanford in my HLS LOCI.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:06 am

GargamelITT wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.


Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?


i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI.

It's probably bad form in almost any circumstance, but I suspect that it's especially bad form when one mentions an acceptance to a lower-ranked school. Harvard assumes that most everyone will turn down CLS for HLS. In mentioning that you would turn down CLS for HLS, you are implying that Columbia is a peer--or, even worse, a better--law school than Harvard.

At best, such a move is harmless; at worst, it earns you a prompt toss into the reject pile. I'd steer clear of mentioning other acceptances, particularly when dealing with HYS.

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:38 am

brennanlives wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?


Right here! I thought I was an easy rejection too... guess they are gonna let me sweat it out.


It really doesn't seem like there are many others. On LSN all the remaining pending complete in November seem to mention being held (if they contain any commentary at all).[/quote][/quote]

UR 11/23, not a sign of life from Harvard! Don't applications close next week, though?[/quote]
177 3.9???

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 am

Dignan wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:thanks. C is a hell of a consolation prize. but i'm gonna go ahead and chuck the kitchen sink in the LOCI, we'll see how it works out.


Curious - does this mean you tell them "will turn down CLS for HLS if you admit me"?


i dunno whether it's considered good form to talk in terms of your school vs other schools in a LOCI.

It's probably bad form in almost any circumstance, but I suspect that it's especially bad form when one mentions an acceptance to a lower-ranked school. Harvard assumes that most everyone will turn down CLS for HLS. In mentioning that you would turn down CLS for HLS, you are implying that Columbia is a peer--or, even worse, a better--law school than Harvard.

At best, such a move is harmless; at worst, it earns you a prompt toss into the reject pile. I'd steer clear of mentioning other acceptances, particularly when dealing with HYS.



I think he has a Hamilton @ C. That should make things better.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby scribelaw » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 am

Hey question -- on my status checker, I had been under review since 1/20. Then I got an email today saying my application was complete. Seemed kinda weird -- I figured it was complete while I was under review.

Does that mean anything, as to whether I still have a chance at getting a JR1?

User avatar
champagnepopbottles
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby champagnepopbottles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am

Just to add my misery to the pot.

Submitted 11/17, UR 12/1 and jack since then.

Figured I'd at least be considered numbers wise, but then again it is Hah-vahd.

brennanlives
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby brennanlives » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:56 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
brennanlives wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?


Right here! I thought I was an easy rejection too... guess they are gonna let me sweat it out.


It really doesn't seem like there are many others. On LSN all the remaining pending complete in November seem to mention being held (if they contain any commentary at all).
[/quote]

UR 11/23, not a sign of life from Harvard! Don't applications close next week, though?[/quote]
177 3.9???[/quote]

well i am a retaker (up 7-8 points from June) and my GPA was a 3.89 when applied--it went up .01 after the fall semester. still, i have some pretty good softs and LORs, so who knows really??

User avatar
gilagarta
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gilagarta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:57 am

Do JR2s only happen on Mondays? I want to know how many days of the week I need to obsessively check my phone every 5 minutes.

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

yes, JR2 are ONLY on Mondays. take a break until Monday :P

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

brennanlives wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
brennanlives wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:how many other people complete before 11/25 without hold or rejection?


Right here! I thought I was an easy rejection too... guess they are gonna let me sweat it out.


It really doesn't seem like there are many others. On LSN all the remaining pending complete in November seem to mention being held (if they contain any commentary at all).


UR 11/23, not a sign of life from Harvard! Don't applications close next week, though?[/quote]
177 3.9???[/quote]

well i am a retaker (up 7-8 points from June) and my GPA was a 3.89 when applied--it went up .01 after the fall semester. still, i have some pretty good softs and LORs, so who knows really??[/quote]

it does look like Harvard averages LSAT then. 177/3.89 should be good to go numbers wise

User avatar
gilagarta
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby gilagarta » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 pm

englawyer wrote:yes, JR2 are ONLY on Mondays. take a break until Monday :P


Will do! Now I can go back to checking NYU's admitted students site every 5 minutes to see if I can login there as well. It's good to get my priorities straight. :)

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:19 pm

jayzon wrote:I just got a "complete" email 11 days after my status went "in review." Is that normal?

That was about my time line.

CanadianEH
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:47 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CanadianEH » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 pm

jayzon wrote:I just got a "complete" email 11 days after my status went "in review." Is that normal?


same for me. Hopefully no ding en route.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

jayzon wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
jayzon wrote:I just got a "complete" email 11 days after my status went "in review." Is that normal?

That was about my time line.


Thanks. Still waiting to hear?

Yeah, though tracking this thread it seems like the inevitable ding is coming soon, based on the dates of people hearing.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”