Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
portena
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby portena » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:20 pm

englawyer wrote:check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93290&start=125

i posted my stats there too

I posted in there myself and then forgot all about it, thanks!

User avatar
englawyer
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby englawyer » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm

lightbulb1986 wrote:oh man i was in your guys' jr1 group and havent received the call yet...worried


don't get too worried. I completely missed my week's JR2 batch. I was picked up the following week.

lightbulb1986
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby lightbulb1986 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

.
Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
coollegemex
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby coollegemex » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Looks like today is a mostly URM batch so just hang on he could be getting to you in a bit

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:01 pm

philos wrote:JR2 just now. JR1 1/22. JR1 emails 1/15. Complete 1/14.

LSAT: 175
GPA: 3.68
URM
Ph.D. in philosophy from Harvard

I'm shocked that you got in. Congrats.

lightbulb1986
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby lightbulb1986 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:05 pm

.
Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby forza » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Dignan wrote:
philos wrote:JR2 just now. JR1 1/22. JR1 emails 1/15. Complete 1/14.

LSAT: 175
GPA: 3.68
URM
Ph.D. in philosophy from Harvard

I'm shocked that you got in. Congrats.


lol..

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

forza wrote:lol..

Didn't you/don't you go to Bama?

mockstar
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby mockstar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm

VoidSix wrote:I'd kill a man for a JR1 at this point.


+1

User avatar
Sakura3210
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Sakura3210 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:50 pm

mockstar wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I'd kill a man for a JR1 at this point.


+1


I do not consider myself a violent person. That said...+2 :cry:

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Sakura3210 wrote:
mockstar wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I'd kill a man for a JR1 at this point.


+1


I do not consider myself a violent person. That said...+2 :cry:


:lol: I love how it's over the JR1, not JR2... I'm just a sore loser

EDIT: when do you think the Held folks will get reassessed?

citydweller09
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby citydweller09 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:12 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
Sakura3210 wrote:
mockstar wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I'd kill a man for a JR1 at this point.


+1


I do not consider myself a violent person. That said...+2 :cry:


:lol: I love how it's over the JR1, not JR2... I'm just a sore loser

EDIT: when do you think the Held folks will get reassessed?


My guess? Never. I took a look at the "Held at Harvard" threads from past years and didn't see any acceptances amid the limited number of people whose info was there. From the few people who did still have info up, it seems like a hold is just a precursor to being sent directly to the waitlist - do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Again, though, the info I found was limited, so perhaps someone better informed can weigh in.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:48 pm

citydweller09 wrote:My guess? Never. I took a look at the "Held at Harvard" threads from past years and didn't see any acceptances amid the limited number of people whose info was there. From the few people who did still have info up, it seems like a hold is just a precursor to being sent directly to the waitlist - do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Again, though, the info I found was limited, so perhaps someone better informed can weigh in.


I just checked this out and came up with different conclusion. I should've saved the links, but I didn't. Suffice it to say that most of the received a WL. However, I saw a few acceptances as well (probably about 25% of the people who posted originally). Given that many of the people in the thread I was examining decided against sending LOCI or didn't seem like they had done much since they originally applied, I think those of us that have improved GPAs, landed impressive jobs, got a little WE, published works, etc actually stand a decent chance of--if nothing else--getting off a waitlist.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm

VoidSix wrote:
citydweller09 wrote:My guess? Never. I took a look at the "Held at Harvard" threads from past years and didn't see any acceptances amid the limited number of people whose info was there. From the few people who did still have info up, it seems like a hold is just a precursor to being sent directly to the waitlist - do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Again, though, the info I found was limited, so perhaps someone better informed can weigh in.


I just checked this out and came up with different conclusion. I should've saved the links, but I didn't. Suffice it to say that most of the received a WL. However, I saw a few acceptances as well (probably about 25% of the people who posted originally). Given that many of the people in the thread I was examining decided against sending LOCI or didn't seem like they had done much since they originally applied, I think those of us that have improved GPAs, landed impressive jobs, got a little WE, published works, etc actually stand a decent chance of--if nothing else--getting off a waitlist.


Ugh you make me want to do something with my life, rather than post on TLS, so I can get into Harvard. Think a new LOR would woo them?

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
citydweller09 wrote:My guess? Never. I took a look at the "Held at Harvard" threads from past years and didn't see any acceptances amid the limited number of people whose info was there. From the few people who did still have info up, it seems like a hold is just a precursor to being sent directly to the waitlist - do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Again, though, the info I found was limited, so perhaps someone better informed can weigh in.


I just checked this out and came up with different conclusion. I should've saved the links, but I didn't. Suffice it to say that most of the received a WL. However, I saw a few acceptances as well (probably about 25% of the people who posted originally). Given that many of the people in the thread I was examining decided against sending LOCI or didn't seem like they had done much since they originally applied, I think those of us that have improved GPAs, landed impressive jobs, got a little WE, published works, etc actually stand a decent chance of--if nothing else--getting off a waitlist.


Ugh you make me want to do something with my life, rather than post on TLS, so I can get into Harvard. Think a new LOR would woo them?



I sent in an new LOR, a description of the new job I'm working at and a reference number, a description of my last semester and how it effected my transcripts (raised GPA minimally), a brief list of some accomplishments from the last five months, my plans for the next sixth months and a lot of love. Haha. hth.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm

VoidSix wrote:I sent in an new LOR, a description of the new job I'm working at and a reference number, a description of my last semester and how it effected my transcripts (raised GPA minimally), a brief list of some accomplishments from the last five months, my plans for the next sixth months and a lot of love. Haha. hth.

I hope your LOCI wasn't as riddled with typos as the above post was.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kronk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:24 pm

crackberry wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I sent in an new LOR, a description of the new job I'm working at and a reference number, a description of my last semester and how it ffected my transcripts (raised GPA minimally), a brief list of some accomplishments from the last five months, my plans for the next sixth months and a lot of love. Haha. hth.

I hope your LOCI wasn't as riddled with typos as the above post was.


Me too.

(I know the difference between effected and affected, promise)

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:44 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.


Just make sure you don't vomit on anything that costs more than $5 to replace.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:48 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.

Wow, you're cheap.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:52 pm

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.

Wow, you're cheap.


It's something I wanted to try anyway. It's actually a bet so if I fail I have to pay five dollars and the cost of the milk. I know that's ridiculous, but at least I'll learn something about myself.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:00 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.

Wow, you're cheap.


It's something I wanted to try anyway. It's actually a bet so if I fail I have to pay five dollars and the cost of the milk. I know that's ridiculous, but at least I'll learn something about myself.

An hour might be enough time; just divide the gallon into six equal parts and drink one every 10 minutes. How long to do you have to hold it in to collect?

Every time I've done it (twice) or seen it done, the challenge is to drink the gallon in 30 minutes and hold it in for 15. That, I think, is impossible.

User avatar
CoaltoNewCastle
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.

Wow, you're cheap.


It's something I wanted to try anyway. It's actually a bet so if I fail I have to pay five dollars and the cost of the milk. I know that's ridiculous, but at least I'll learn something about myself.

An hour might be enough time; just divide the gallon into six equal parts and drink one every 10 minutes. How long to do you have to hold it in to collect?

Every time I've done it (twice) or seen it done, the challenge is to drink the gallon in 30 minutes and hold it in for 15. That, I think, is impossible.


Tentatively the rule is that I'm not allowed to send it back up, but I can use the bathroom. 30 minutes sounds crazy.

User avatar
Core
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Core » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:23 pm

...
Last edited by Core on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I would drink a gallon of milk in an hour for a JR1. Of course I'm doing it for $5 anyway soon.

Wow, you're cheap.


It's something I wanted to try anyway. It's actually a bet so if I fail I have to pay five dollars and the cost of the milk. I know that's ridiculous, but at least I'll learn something about myself.

In Wisconsin we call this "lunch"




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”