Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:59 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nom Sawyer

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:02 am

crackberry wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
talibkweli wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Ran here.

Summary of argument?

And crackberry, if that was some kind of dig, you got into Stanford so...

i'm just glad i can keep you entertained. its the only reason i'm on here.

we were argued in like october about how much tougher this cycle was going to be. then we finished, i got laid a few times, watched a few movies, ect ect....basically went on with my life thinking we were done.

now low an behold, he or she fires another salvo as though we've been arguing this entire time.

He. Stanford UG, most likely SLS in his future.

Crackberry, what do you have to say?

Haha, I love TLS. I was making fun of talib for fear-mongering about his ibanking and consulting friends who apparently decided to take the LSAT on a whim, get 175+s and screw the rest of us out of spots at HYS. Nearly every one of my friends from Stanford went into ibanking and consulting, some much smarter than others. I just thought it was ridiculous to assume that a job at Morgan Stanley, etc. somehow qualifies as a great soft and one that is some sort of magic bullet for law school admissions.

Not trying to reignite an argument.

--ImageRemoved--

Just kidding Crackberry!! couldn't resist.. and congrats on SLS again.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 am

talibkweli wrote:come on, i think my argument was a bit more subtle than that. i didn't say that if you work in banking or mbb then by definition you get into hys. my point was that most kids that land those jobs are probably smart enough to do well on the lsat, and if the economy continued to tank, enough of them would be inclined to apply that it could materially impact the cycle.

and to be fair, we don't know enough to determine whether i was right or wrong yet.

Michigan Dean Zearfoss that she takes into account when people have fancy internships (and by extension, fancy jobs) because there is so much vetting that happens to get those positions and they are so selective that when an applicant has one, she knows they are impressive.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:08 am

talibkweli wrote:come on, i think my argument was a bit more subtle than that. i didn't say that if you work in banking or mbb then by definition you get into hys. my point was that most kids that land those jobs are probably smart enough to do well on the lsat, and if the economy continued to tank, enough of them would be inclined to apply that it could materially impact admissions at the very top schools.

and to be fair, we don't know enough to determine whether i was right or wrong yet.

edit: congrats on stanford.

True, they could minimally impact the cycle. But I don't think it qualifies as a sea-change of any kind. The truth is, the vast majority of my friends who went into banking/mgmt consulting want to go to B school, not law school. I graduated in 08, so they will all be finishing their two year commitments in July or August and some of them applied to law school but not a big enough percentage to be statistically relevant I don't think.

I brought this up all in good fun, which I think you probably understand.

And thank you.

APimpNamedSlickback

x

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 am

x
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:30 am

talibkweli wrote:95% of my posts are nothing but pure flame

+1.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:45 am

crackberry wrote:
talibkweli wrote:come on, i think my argument was a bit more subtle than that. i didn't say that if you work in banking or mbb then by definition you get into hys. my point was that most kids that land those jobs are probably smart enough to do well on the lsat, and if the economy continued to tank, enough of them would be inclined to apply that it could materially impact admissions at the very top schools.

edit: congrats on stanford.

True, they could minimally impact the cycle. But I don't think it qualifies as a sea-change of any kind. The truth is, the vast majority of my friends who went into banking/mgmt consulting want to go to B school, not law school. I graduated in 08, so they will all be finishing their two year commitments in July or August and some of them applied to law school but not a big enough percentage to be statistically relevant I don't think.

I brought this up all in good fun, which I think you probably understand.

And thank you.

i think talib has a reasonable point on this though. the economy is terrible which overcrowds top b-schools. HBS is a slaughterhouse this year. those folks *may* be applying to law schools as a backup option. After all, especially at the T6, you can still get interviews in banking/consulting/etc. that they wanted to get out of business school.

they may view that its better to go to HLS than a lower ranked b-school, which is probably true given the utter prestige-whoring that goes on in those industries

forza

Postby forza » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:29 am

--ImageRemoved--

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:32 am

englawyer wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol i hope that was sarcasm, or else you're just really skewing words. poster never said the process should be "dominated" by non-number factors, just that "adcomms take some time to consider people as possibly being individuals" and not let it devolve into solely a numbers game

there's a lot more to being a qualified applicant than simply the numbers haha. this whole process w/ HLS has been a lot more personalized than i thought it would be, leading me to think they may actually read your PS and LORs to get a better feel of you as a person...and if those are off, even w/ seemingly auto admit numbers, they may hold or ding you. not saying those held or dinged were for those reasons

no sarcasm, i guess i was overly defensive about that point. i think 1/3 GPA, 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 other makes plenty of sense and wouldn't want to see it changed. i can go on a whole tirade about my view in PMs if you want, but I don't want to distract from this thread.

Wouldn't want to see it changed? One top-tier school divides the application aspects so while the rest put even less weight on the other factors.

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:54 am

englawyer wrote: HBS is a slaughterhouse this year. those folks *may* be applying to law schools as a backup option. After all, especially at the T6, you can still get interviews in banking/consulting/etc. that they wanted to get out of business school.

So you're telling me if I go to a T6 I could go into banking or consultancy? :o Why do I never hear that as an option here... :?

radgrad

Postby radgrad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am

Hate to interrupt whatever argument erupted over the last two few pages, but....

WTF DOES HOLD MEAN!? Hold = Waitlist? Better-than-waitlist? Worse? Some sort of Harvard-specific Purgatory? What's the point of "holding on" to us?

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 am

radgrad wrote:Hate to interrupt whatever argument erupted over the last two few pages, but....

WTF DOES HOLD MEAN!? Hold = Waitlist? Better-than-waitlist? Worse? Some sort of Harvard-specific Purgatory? What's the point of "holding on" to us?

Not waitlist. It just means they're not looking at your application anymore and are putting it away until later and then they'll look at it again. It basically means you're not technically under review at the moment, but they haven't made any decision yet whatsoever.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 am

radgrad wrote:Hate to interrupt whatever argument erupted over the last two few pages, but....

What were your submission/underreview/JR1 (if applicable) dates?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:50 am

my theory is that they think they can improve their stats/quality of class this year and want to wait on a number of people until after the submission deadline just in case some amazing candidates apply at the last minute.

thankfully that deadline is a short ten days away. at that point i think some holds will turn to acceptances/rejects/waitlists.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

^
i hope you're right. the thing about my hold that was weird was that i went complete 12/1.....so they didn't need to tell me anything. i think they may've done it as a courtesy, so i didn't get my hopes up every monday that i might get a JR2.....unfortunately, that didn't really work bc i still do get my hopes up as illogical as that is....

your theory about the numbers would make sense bc my 171 is def below their median, and i'm afraid my 3.9 might be this year as well.......FTE

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 pm

englawyer wrote:

my theory is that they think they can improve their stats/quality of class this year and want to wait on a number of people until after the submission deadline just in case some amazing candidates apply at the last minute.

thankfully that deadline is a short ten days away. at that point i think some holds will turn to acceptances/rejects/waitlists.

I hope you're right. Does anyone have any speculation on what kind of time we're dealing with? I would like to send an additional LOR, but I'm afraid I'll get a decision before it gets there.

virginiagirl55

Postby virginiagirl55 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:35 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:^
i hope you're right. the thing about my hold that was weird was that i went complete 12/1.....so they didn't need to tell me anything. i think they may've done it as a courtesy, so i didn't get my hopes up every monday that i might get a JR2.....unfortunately, that didn't really work bc i still do get my hopes up as illogical as that is....

your theory about the numbers would make sense bc my 171 is def below their median, and i'm afraid my 3.9 might be this year as well.......FTE

i feel your pain. another 171/3.9 early December complete here, waiting for ANY news...

amidea

Postby amidea » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:41 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:

i feel your pain. another 171/3.9 early December complete here, waiting for ANY news...

complete mid november here, still no word.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

amidea wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:

+ 1 November

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm

OK so I asked this already and got no response :evil:

How many offers do you think have been made so far, out of the total amount? 50%??

Any clue how long the Holding List lasts? I'm waiting for a response and I presume I'm probably being held. Is it best to send in a letter of continued interest asap, once you find out you're held? Or do they not even look at your file again until -say- March?

Core

Postby Core » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Kulax22 wrote:OK so I asked this already and got no response :evil:

How many offers do you think have been made so far, out of the total amount? 50%??

Any clue how long the Holding List lasts? I'm waiting for a response and I presume I'm probably being held. Is it best to send in a letter of continued interest asap? Or do they not even look at your file again until -say- March?

Yes.
I don't have any answers to the rest. I'd estimate about 50%, though.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:09 pm

Any clue how long the Holding List lasts? I'm waiting for a response and I presume I'm probably being held. Is it best to send in a letter of continued interest asap, once you find out you're held? Or do they not even look at your file again until -say- March?

I talked to Josh today and he said there are 15 spots left. Good luck.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:12 pm

dutchstriker wrote:

and those spots will be determined by an one-on-one elimination tournament for all holds

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm

SolarWind wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:

and those spots will be determined by an one-on-one elimination tournament for all holds

UFC-style cage fighting tournament I hope? That make a great reality TV show. Borderline Harvard Law hopefuls will enter the octagon for a chance to attend their #1 school. Seriously, these kids will do anything to get in. Tune in next week...

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:44 pm

fidesverita wrote:
amidea wrote:
virginiagirl55 wrote:

+ 1 November

+ 2. Every time my phone gives off an email notification...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”