Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:39 pm

mockstar wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
T14forME wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:So what's the latest UR date for which people have received the hold email?

1/19

I meant the UR date for people who got held :) Last week they were sending hold emails to people who went UR in Oct. if I remember correctly.

Not for me...

But I digress. For those of you who've been held, what is your status on the application status checker?

UR 1/15/2010. First time it updated since UR 9/28/2009.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 pm

crackberry wrote:

And that's the day you were held, right?
See, mine reset to 1/6. I must have been held and they forgot to e-mail me or something. So freaking confuuuuuuuuuuused.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:54 pm

mockstar wrote:
crackberry wrote:

And that's the day you were held, right?
See, mine reset to 1/6. I must have been held and they forgot to e-mail me or something. So freaking confuuuuuuuuuuused.

Yes, that is the day I was held. The fact that you updated with no email is definitely strange. If you're losing sleep over it, you could always call/email admissions.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Held with a 180 and 3.7+? No JR1 either?

What the what!?!?

...and there's also another poster with a 180 and ~3.8 who had JR1 with no JR2

the only thing i can think of is maybe they thought you should've had a higher GPA given your LSAT?...not that a 3.8 isn't high, but it isn't really in terms of HLS

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:23 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Held with a 180 and 3.7+? No JR1 either?

What the what!?!?

...and there's also another poster with a 180 and ~3.8 who had JR1 with no JR2

the only thing i can think of is maybe they thought you should've had a higher GPA given your LSAT?...not that a 3.8 isn't high, but it isn't really in terms of HLS

e: to contribute, i heard about a friend of a friend with a 177/3.8 (H undergrad) who was dinged without JR1. supposedly he had some kind of disciplinary thing on his record, not sure what it was or if that made a difference.
Last edited by MTC87 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Not being accepted is clearly unfortunate, especially for folks who have worked hard and have a sincere desire to attend. With that said, isn't it hypocritical for these forums to chastise law schools for being number whores (Harvard being one of the top targets) and then complain when an "auto admit" isn't admitted?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Not being accepted is clearly unfortunate, especially for folks who have worked hard and have a sincere desire to attend. With that said, isn't it hypocritical for these forums to chastise law schools for being number whores (Harvard being one of the top targets) and then complain when an "auto admit" isn't admitted?

Being Hypocritical:

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:43 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Not being accepted is clearly unfortunate, especially for folks who have worked hard and have a sincere desire to attend. With that said, isn't it hypocritical for these forums to chastise law schools for being number whores (Harvard being one of the top targets) and then complain when an "auto admit" isn't admitted?

+1. Do we really want it to solely be a numbers game? I like the fact that the adcomms take some time to consider people as possibly being individuals 8) .

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:00 am

Kulax22 wrote:

+1. Do we really want it to solely be a numbers game? I like the fact that the adcomms take some time to consider people as possibly being individuals 8) .

-1. numbers-based admissions is very transparent, and in a way fair. if the process was dominated by non-number factors, people "in the know" would have a huge advantage. it would also mean hiring expensive admissions consultants to have a fair shot. at least this way, you can see quite clearly what LSAT is needed for X school.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 am

I think most if not all of the people with what seem like guaranteed admission numbers who have been held will be admitted eventually, so don't assume yet that it's a much tougher cycle. Harvard may be as unsure about this cycle as we are and I think that's why they're waiting until more people have their apps in before they start accepting 3.75-3.8/179-180 people. I still think they'll all get in.

Edit: Obviously I'm biased because those are my numbers, but I still believe this!

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:20 am

englawyer wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

-1. numbers-based admissions is very transparent, and in a way fair. if the process was dominated by non-number factors, people "in the know" would have a huge advantage. it would also mean hiring expensive admissions consultants to have a fair shot. at least this way, you can see quite clearly what LSAT is needed for X school.

lol i hope that was sarcasm, or else you're just really skewing words. poster never said the process should be "dominated" by non-number factors, just that "adcomms take some time to consider people as possibly being individuals" and not let it devolve into solely a numbers game

there's a lot more to being a qualified applicant than simply the numbers haha. this whole process w/ HLS has been a lot more personalized than i thought it would be, leading me to think they may actually read your PS and LORs to get a better feel of you as a person...and if those are off, even w/ seemingly auto admit numbers, they may hold or ding you. not saying those held or dinged were for those reasons

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 am

DoubleChecks wrote:lol i hope that was sarcasm, or else you're just really skewing words. poster never said the process should be "dominated" by non-number factors, just that "adcomms take some time to consider people as possibly being individuals" and not let it devolve into solely a numbers game

there's a lot more to being a qualified applicant than simply the numbers haha. this whole process w/ HLS has been a lot more personalized than i thought it would be, leading me to think they may actually read your PS and LORs to get a better feel of you as a person...and if those are off, even w/ seemingly auto admit numbers, they may hold or ding you. not saying those held or dinged were for those reasons

no sarcasm, i guess i was overly defensive about that point. i think 1/3 GPA, 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 other makes plenty of sense and wouldn't want to see it changed. i can go on a whole tirade about my view in PMs if you want, but I don't want to distract from this thread.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 am

Kulax22 wrote:

+ 1^10000

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 am

englawyer wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol i hope that was sarcasm, or else you're just really skewing words. poster never said the process should be "dominated" by non-number factors, just that "adcomms take some time to consider people as possibly being individuals" and not let it devolve into solely a numbers game

no sarcasm, i guess i was overly defensive about that point. i think 1/3 GPA, 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 other makes plenty of sense and wouldn't want to see it changed. i can go on a whole tirade about my view in PMs if you want, but I don't want to distract from this thread.

yeah that definitely makes the most sense to me as well and i think that system generally works

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:01 am

fidesverita wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

+ 1^10000

1 raised to the 100000th power is still 1.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:07 am

managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:
Kulax22 wrote:

+ 1^10000

i laughed

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 am

talibkweli wrote:
managamy wrote:
fidesverita wrote:+ 1^10000

i laughed

I go to every thread talib is in bc there will either be an argument or something funny has happened.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:I go to every thread talib is in bc there will either be an argument or something funny has happened.

I just bit my tongue re. the incredible array of ibanking/consulting dropouts/layoffs who are applying this cycle and making it way way way harder for the rest of us pithy "humanities" types because they can take the LSAT with their eyes closed in 20 minutes and get 178s apparently.

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 am

crackberry wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I go to every thread talib is in bc there will either be an argument or something funny has happened.

I just bit my tongue re. the incredible array of ibanking/consulting dropouts/layoffs who are applying this cycle and making it way way way harder for the rest of us pithy "humanities" types because they can take the LSAT with their eyes closed in 20 minutes and get 178s apparently.

i am utterly no joke stunned. do you realize that you've just picked up and carried on an argument that we had several months ago like nothing happened?

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:39 am

Ran here.

Summary of argument?

And crackberry, if that was some kind of dig, you got into Stanford so...

APimpNamedSlickback

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:43 am

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 am

talibkweli wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Ran here.

Summary of argument?

i'm just glad i can keep you entertained. its the only reason i'm on here.

we were argued in like october about how much tougher this cycle was going to be. then we finished, i got laid a few times, watched a few movies, ect ect....basically went on with my life thinking we were done.

now low an behold, he or she fires another salvo as though we've been arguing this entire time.

He. Stanford UG, most likely SLS in his future.

Crackberry, what do you have to say?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 am

talibkweli wrote:

Summary of argument?

we were argued in like october about how much tougher this cycle was going to be. i got laid a few times, then i finished, watched a few movies, ect ect....basically went on with my life thinking we were done.

now low an behold, he or she fires another salvo as though we've been arguing this entire time.

FTFY

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
talibkweli wrote:

Summary of argument?

we were argued in like october about how much tougher this cycle was going to be. then we finished, i got laid a few times, watched a few movies, ect ect....basically went on with my life thinking we were done.

He. Stanford UG, most likely SLS in his future.

Crackberry, what do you have to say?

Haha, I love TLS. I was making fun of talib for fear-mongering about his ibanking and consulting friends who apparently decided to take the LSAT on a whim, get 175+s and screw the rest of us out of spots at HYS. Nearly every one of my friends from Stanford went into ibanking and consulting, some much smarter than others. I just thought it was ridiculous to assume that a job at Morgan Stanley, etc. somehow qualifies as a great soft and one that is some sort of magic bullet for law school admissions.

Not trying to reignite an argument.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 am

talib hiding under a rock?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”