Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amputatedbrain

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby amputatedbrain » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
mockstar wrote:
crackberry wrote:
amputatedbrain wrote:Sorry if this has already been covered . . . too lazy to dig through the thread . . . anyone have any sense of what kind of odds you're looking at to have been held but no JR1, submitted in October

If it was early-mid October, you probably would have already been held. If it was late October, your hold might be coming.

Mine was early October. No hold. Nothing...

With a ~165 LSAT the chances are probably slim to none. Sorry, just too far off the 25th/ and a non-URM for HLS.

I'm definitely not delusional about my chances . . . let me live the dream a little longer :D

I was already put on hold, so somehow I'm not an auto-reject

I was asking what it means to have been already put on hold, but no JR1 . . . sorry for the confusion

Edit: after looking around a little bit I gather that being on hold means you might get your JR1 at some point in the future, but still have to get one eventually for hope of admission? That sound about right?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm

that is right

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:Do applicants ever get wait-listed without a JR1? If so do they have a phone interview later if spots open up and they get reconsidered?

Yes, that happens. Though I'd imagine it would happen more to the group of "holds" than to WLs.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:09 pm

unrelated to anything, but a few days ago i was on the 6 train downtown in NYC around 7pm, and i overheard this kid talking about getting into HLS. he was so obviously a TLS-er by his knowledge and use of acronyms that i almost butted in to ask him about it. however, since i restrained myself then, i'll post it now -- congrats, new HLS-admit obviously TLS kid on the 6 train going downtown talking to some girl.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:11 pm

gahthelaw wrote:unrelated to anything, but a few days ago i was on the 6 train downtown in NYC around 7pm, and i overheard this kid talking about getting into HLS. he was so obviously a TLS-er by his knowledge and use of acronyms that i almost butted in to ask him about it. however, since i restrained myself then, i'll post it now -- congrats, new HLS-admit obviously TLS kid on the 6 train going downtown talking to some girl.

was dropping the H-bomb a lame attempt at a pickup?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:13 pm

englawyer wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:unrelated to anything, but a few days ago i was on the 6 train downtown in NYC around 7pm, and i overheard this kid talking about getting into HLS. he was so obviously a TLS-er by his knowledge and use of acronyms that i almost butted in to ask him about it. however, since i restrained myself then, i'll post it now -- congrats, new HLS-admit obviously TLS kid on the 6 train going downtown talking to some girl.

i dont think so. i think he was mentioning how he hadn't seen her in so long, and they might have mentioned relationships? i dont know if he was straight, actually. (my bad if you are, 6 train TLSer. its just surprising to see someone carrying on a nice, obviously non lecherous conversation with a girl)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
englawyer wrote:

i dont think so. i think he was mentioning how he hadn't seen her in so long, and they might have mentioned relationships? i dont know if he was straight, actually. (my bad if you are, 6 train TLSer. its just surprising to see someone carrying on a nice, obviously non lecherous conversation with a girl)

damn you should have butted in lol, i know i would have

"u r on TLS, amirite?!"

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:
englawyer wrote:

damn you should have butted in lol, i know i would have

"u r on TLS, amirite?!"

my general feeling is that no one else would say "HLS" or "CCN" or "MVPB" IRL without being on TLS. safe assumption?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:54 pm

I think HLS is probably the best known of all those. CCN and MVPB would probably sound odd though.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 pm

englawyer wrote:I think HLS is probably the best known of all those. CCN and MVPB would probably sound odd though.

I don't think I would ever say CCN or MVPB IRL, but I hear people say HLS all the time. Just like I hear people say HBS. Harvard is just that cool.

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:12 pm

humdrum wrote:
englawyer wrote:I think HLS is probably the best known of all those. CCN and MVPB would probably sound odd though.

I don't think I would ever say CCN or MVPB IRL, but I hear people say HLS all the time. Just like I hear people say HBS. Harvard is just that cool.

i'm pretty sure gahthelaw meant to say HYS rather than HLS. HYS is still on par with CCN in oddness, i feel.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm

georgina wrote:
humdrum wrote:

i'm pretty sure gahthelaw meant to say HYS rather than HLS. HYS is still on par with CCN in oddness, i feel.

nope, actually he didn't say HYS -- he said HLS, but then also mentioned that harvard was tiers about 'ccn' and 'mvpb'

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:21 pm

gahthelaw wrote:nope, actually he didn't say HYS -- he said HLS, but then also mentioned that harvard was tiers above 'ccn' and 'mvpb'

how many tiers I wonder...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:37 pm

JR referred to it as "HLS" on the phone.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm

humdrum wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:nope, actually he didn't say HYS -- he said HLS, but then also mentioned that harvard was tiers above 'ccn' and 'mvpb'

soooo many tiers.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:42 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
humdrum wrote:

soooo many tiers.

Over 9000

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Sent my app 12/12, went UR 1/6, just went complete today with no JR1 email. I assume this means I'm not getting in. Anyone want to confirm this?

Nah I'm just kidding, I love how people ask that every time something happens. I'm hoping for an email any day now.

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:30 pm

someone who knows what they're talking about should write a detailed post with all the different possible scenarios (jr1, jr2, hold, wl etc.) and explain when they should be expected or inferred etc.

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

kingabraham3 wrote:someone who knows what they're talking about should write a detailed post with all the different possible scenarios (jr1, jr2, hold, wl etc.) and explain when they should be expected or inferred etc.

please do.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:51 pm

pinkhearts wrote:
kingabraham3 wrote:someone who knows what they're talking about should write a detailed post with all the different possible scenarios (jr1, jr2, hold, wl etc.) and explain when they should be expected or inferred etc.

please do.

3 Initial Scenarios.
Apply--> Reject
Apply-->Hold/Waitlist -->Reject or JR1
Apply-->JR1

JR1-->Reject or Waitlist(or Hold) or JR2

JR2=Acceptance
Last edited by CordeliusX on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm hoping there will be GOOD news released tomorrow since they obviously make it a priority to let people enjoy their 3-day weekends :roll: :mrgreen:

monique522

Postby monique522 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:54 pm

crackberry wrote:JR referred to it as "HLS" on the phone.

he's a n00b

racklebelize

Postby racklebelize » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Core wrote:
grrrstick wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:
Core wrote:Held via e-mail today. A bit disappointed, but beats a WL or rejection.
Submitted 10/17, under review since 10/23, and had a JR1 just before Thanksgiving. This is a bad sign, but this may be related to my <25% LSAT + URM status (URMs with lower-than-median numbers usually have slow cycles, I'm told).

A little surprised but I still think you will be accepted no later than the end of Feb.

I think most of us will be stunned if there is any other outcome. Good luck, Core!

Thanks. Sending in an updated transcript, 2 LORS, and a LOCI, so I hope so.

I don't post very often, but I've been meaning to say this for a while: Core, I'm rooting for you! I'd love to go to school with another Veronica Mars fan!

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:48 pm

I too am a huge fan of Veronica Mars!

Core

Postby Core » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:48 pm

mockstar wrote:I too am a huge fan of Veronica Mars!

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”