Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
knola002

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby knola002 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Just had my JR1. Went ok I hope, but I was a bit nervous and I think it showed.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I think there was a round last week. I'm still waiting too. Keep that chin up - plenty of people have gotten them long after going UR

georgina

Postby georgina » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:51 pm

from a few pages back,
englawyer wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Core wrote:I know, but, with a new dean, admissions at Harvard appear to be running differently - i.e. the early rejections, larger number of JR1s.

How do we know that there have been more phone interviews this year?

yes, i also found that tidbit interesting. is the percentage of JR1->JR2 actually lower this year?

msoftceo wrote:I think people are judging that anecdotally comparing to last year's Harvard admissions thread. 70% of 1100 JR1s may well be admitted this year, but many have been held instead of outright admitted.

in case this was left unsettled in anyone's mind, according to the recent interview with JR1 linked to by a previous poster, JR says this year there will be 1000-1200 interviews. so, assuming same class size as well, stats are looking to be the same as in previous years.
--LinkRemoved--

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm

questions wrote:Have there been any post-New Year's JR1 emails?

I've been following this thread for months, but I can't remember and I don't particularly want to wade through the last 2 weeks of posts to find out. I think I just missed the round of pre-Christmas JR1 emails, and was hoping to hear from them soon. Nothing yet ... getting discouraged here :(

i received a JR1 email last week. scheduled for this week.

JAP1985

Postby JAP1985 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:57 pm

My cousin, a non-urm, was accepted to hls yesterday. My aunt sent around an email and the subject line read, "Kate was just accpeted at Harvard", and the body had a list of notable Harvard alum. I'm not sure about her LSAT (though I can ask if anyone wants), and she graduated summa from Michigan. Softs are typical (think tfa/peace corps/mission trips), and her resume leans heavily towards public interest.

Hope that helps! g/l!

ps: don't worry her name isn't really Kate

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:57 pm

knola002 wrote:Just had my JR1. Went ok I hope, but I was a bit nervous and I think it showed.

i actually think nervous is good, in this context. it indicates you really want to go. in fact being "cool" could come off as a bad thing :P

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:03 pm

nattybro wrote:I think there was a round last week. I'm still waiting too. Keep that chin up - plenty of people have gotten them long after going UR

It would be nice if Harvard was more consistent. Although the vast majority of accepted applicants get their JR1 emails within 5 to 10 days of going under review, there are a few that don't get the JR1 for several weeks. This has the unfortunate effect of giving people like me hope.

To quote Red from Shawshank Redemption: "Hope? Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane." Indeed. Every weekday morning since early December, I anxiously wonder if this will be the day that I finally receive my JR1 email. With each passing day, I grow a little more pessimistic and a little more demoralized, but I cannot, unfortunately, rule out the possibility that Harvard will eventually contact me with good news.

nattybro

Postby nattybro » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:06 pm

That's the spirit.

re: JAP1985... I hope tfa/peace corps is not actually a "typical" soft

JAP1985

Postby JAP1985 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:16 pm

nattybro wrote:That's the spirit.

re: JAP1985... I hope tfa/peace corps is not actually a "typical" soft

...I meant typical for this crowd, but by no means are those softs to be considered mediocore. :-)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:19 pm

A question directed at only those people who submitted in September, went complete/UR before 10/15, did NOT get a JR1 and have not updated their file (no LSAT retakes, no extra LORs, etc.) since submitting:

Are any of you still in the dark? Did anyone avoid the mass "holds" and rejections sent out last week?

questions

Postby questions » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:31 pm

sdafsdafsaf
Last edited by questions on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Are there any new JR1s for people who have just been sitting in the water for two months? :evil: :|

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:40 pm

No hold/rejection emails today??

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Are there any new JR1s for people who have just been sitting in the water for two months? :evil: :|

Last week, someone reported a JR1 who had been waiting since mid-November. With each big batch of JR1s, it seems like there are usually a couple of emails for applicants who had been waiting for 6 to 8 weeks. If you've been waiting for two months, then it is unlikely that you will ever get a JR1. But, based on past patterns, there is still a slim chance for you.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:No hold/rejection emails today??

No, and I've been expecting one all day. Every time I see I have a new email I freak out.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:45 pm

maggiebre wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:No hold/rejection emails today??

No, and I've been expecting one all day. Every time I see I have a new email I freak out.

Yeah me too. Applied late October, UR 11/02, so I feel like an email must be coming my way soon.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:46 pm

crackberry wrote:A question directed at only those people who submitted in September, went complete/UR before 10/15, did NOT get a JR1 and have not updated their file (no LSAT retakes, no extra LORs, etc.) since submitting:

Are any of you still in the dark? Did anyone avoid the mass "holds" and rejections sent out last week?

Bump. Should I interpret the lack of a response as a "no"?

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:48 pm

crackberry wrote:
crackberry wrote:A question directed at only those people who submitted in September, went complete/UR before 10/15, did NOT get a JR1 and have not updated their file (no LSAT retakes, no extra LORs, etc.) since submitting:

I think you're alone, crackberry

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Dignan wrote:Last week, someone reported a JR1 who had been waiting since mid-November. With each big batch of JR1s, it seems like there are usually a couple of emails for applicants who had been waiting for 6 to 8 weeks. If you've been waiting for two months, then it is unlikely that you will ever get a JR1. But, based on past patterns, there is still a slim chance for you.

Then why dont they just reject/hold/waitlist me? This is silly. :evil:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:00 pm

mellifluouslyso wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Muahahahaha.

I should email JR and challenge him to a duel. Let's settle this buddy.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
mellifluouslyso wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Muahahahaha.

Did you check on LSN? It seems awfully odd that you're the only one in this situation.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:09 pm

crackberry wrote:
mellifluouslyso wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Muahahahaha.

I submitted on 9/28, under review since 10/2. No JR1 (why are you asking for people with no JR1 anyway?) No hold nor rejection email yet. Our files are probably stuck together at the bottom of a giant pile.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:Did you check on LSN? It seems awfully odd that you're the only one in this situation.

A lot of people who were held didn't update their LSN because LSN doesn't have a "hold" category so it's not really possible to check that way. Anecdotally, I'm the only person who submitted in September, had an early JR1 (but did not get a JR2) who has yet to hear. Core follows close behind but submitted a little later than I did.
musketeerlady wrote:I submitted on 9/28, under review since 10/2. No JR1 (why are you asking for people with no JR1 anyway?) No hold nor rejection email yet. Our files are probably stuck together at the bottom of a giant pile.

Cool thanks. I ask because it means there is at least one other person (you) who submitted at such a time that you should have already heard back (provided HLS is sticking to the whole 3 months thing). Josh said that people who went complete before November 1 should hear by early-mid January. So far, the vast majority of those people have heard. You and I (along with a couple others) have not. I already know about the JR1-toting applicants, which is why I asked specifically about those without a JR1.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Nope, you are not alone (although it seems to be just us and musketeerlady...). I went complete on 10/8, and I have heard diddly squat. No JR1. Nothing.
Last edited by mockstar on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

musketeerlady

Postby musketeerlady » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:00 pm

crackberry wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:Did you check on LSN? It seems awfully odd that you're the only one in this situation.

A lot of people who were held didn't update their LSN because LSN doesn't have a "hold" category so it's not really possible to check that way. Anecdotally, I'm the only person who submitted in September, had an early JR1 (but did not get a JR2) who has yet to hear. Core follows close behind but submitted a little later than I did.
musketeerlady wrote:I submitted on 9/28, under review since 10/2. No JR1 (why are you asking for people with no JR1 anyway?) No hold nor rejection email yet. Our files are probably stuck together at the bottom of a giant pile.

Cool thanks. I ask because it means there is at least one other person (you) who submitted at such a time that you should have already heard back (provided HLS is sticking to the whole 3 months thing). Josh said that people who went complete before November 1 should hear by early-mid January. So far, the vast majority of those people have heard. You and I (along with a couple others) have not. I already know about the JR1-toting applicants, which is why I asked specifically about those without a JR1.

Gotcha. Well, Josh said mid to end of January for those submitted before Nov 1, so I'll take his word for it. If I survive more hold/rejection into February, I will simply call and ask.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”