Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Core

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:47 pm

crackberry wrote:So I'm beginning to think that it's a serious possibility that Harvard either lost my application or had some sort of communications snafu whereby they meant to contact me with some sort of decision but didn't and thought they did.

On the HLS in focus blog, Josh writes: "As a general rule of thumb, if your application was complete before November 1, we should be able to get you a decision by early-to-mid January." [--LinkRemoved--]

My application was complete well before Nov. 1 (in late September to be exact). I had my JR1 on 11/3 and haven't heard a peep from Harvard since then. I assume that if I were going to be held, I would have been held last week in the big batch they sent to early applicants. If I were going to be rejected, ditto. Now, I would have thought that if I were going to be accepted, then it would have been today with this round of JR2s. Apparently not.

I know that Core and at least one other person who contacted me by PM have relatively similar dates, but I am nearly positive that I am the earliest complete date among them. Unless someone else out there is staying silent, I am pretty sure that I am the only one with such early dates who still has yet to hear anything. All this points to a mistake, rather than some sort of pattern.

What's ironic about all this is I'd stopped caring about HLS until the hold and rejection emails started going out. When I didn't get one of those, I thought I might get in and I got my hopes up. Now I'm just flabbergasted.

Make sure your phone is up and running ASAP. I don't think it's a communication issue. If you were rejected or accepted, your status checker would update. If you were held, your UR date would've updated (did it?). I submitted the night of 10/16 (I put 10/17 on LSN because they obviously did not process it that evening); you are way before me. You are probably incredibly borderline relative to the applicant pool and they anticipated accepting you today but for whatever reason did not.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:49 pm

crackberry wrote:So I'm beginning to think that it's a serious possibility that Harvard either lost my application or had some sort of communications snafu whereby they meant to contact me with some sort of decision but didn't and thought they did.

I think that JR is just patiently waiting for your to rank Harvard ahead of Stanford in your LSN profile.

Seriously, I'd give it another week or two before assuming that something unusual is going on. There are a lot of applicants who don't post on TLS. It could be that there are still a dozen or so applicants in your boat, and Harvard is planning to deal with them, one way or another, by the end of this week.

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm

On the HLS in focus blog, Josh writes: "As a general rule of thumb, if your application was complete before November 1, we should be able to get you a decision by early-to-mid January." [--LinkRemoved--]

My application was complete well before Nov. 1 (in late September to be exact). I had my JR1 on 11/3 and haven't heard a peep from Harvard since then. I assume that if I were going to be held, I would have been held last week in the big batch they sent to early applicants. If I were going to be rejected, ditto. Now, I would have thought that if I were going to be accepted, then it would have been today with this round of JR2s. Apparently not.

I know that Core and at least one other person who contacted me by PM have relatively similar dates, but I am nearly positive that I am the earliest complete date among them. Unless someone else out there is staying silent, I am pretty sure that I am the only one with such early dates who still has yet to hear anything. All this points to a mistake, rather than some sort of pattern.

What's ironic about all this is I'd stopped caring about HLS until the hold and rejection emails started going out. When I didn't get one of those, I thought I might get in and I got my hopes up. Now I'm just flabbergasted.

You might want to try calling or emailing them. Just explain your situation and ask if they can update you on the status of your application.

Btw, would you consider HLS over SLS? I thought SLS was your #1.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Core wrote:Make sure your phone is up and running ASAP. I don't think it's a communication issue. If you were rejected or accepted, your status checker would update. If you were held, your UR date would've updated (did it?). I submitted the night of 10/16 (I put 10/17 on LSN because they obviously did not process it that evening); you are way before me. You are probably incredibly borderline relative to the applicant pool and they anticipated accepting you today but for whatever reason did not.
No, I'm still UR 9/28. I'm definitely borderline, but what on earth does the bold mean? Haha.
Dignan wrote:Seriously, I'd give it another week or two before assuming that something unusual is going on. There are a lot of applicants who don't post on TLS. It could be that there are still a dozen or so applicants in your boat, and Harvard is planning to deal with them, one way or another, by the end of this week.
I always forget about those non-TLS people. They make things so damn difficult. But I agree, I'm not going to contact them anytime soon. I don't think my situation warrants that. If I haven't heard by, say, Feb. 1, I'll probably contact them.
sfdreaming09 wrote:Btw, would you consider HLS over SLS? I thought SLS was your #1.
I'd have to consider it. It's Harvard. I'd visit, etc. I think I'd probably choose Stanford in the end, but I'd have to do my due diligence.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:03 pm

I am new to all this thread stuff (and freaking out based on everyone getting in and me having heard diddly squat :( ) and am not sure if this is the right place to post, but my questions seem very relevant to the discussion topics at hand. If someone could answer a couple questions of mine I'd really appreciate it. Here's my info
Non-URM
Complete on 10/8
Can't remember when it first went under review (shortly after it went complete I believe), but now it says UR as of 1/6.
I was hoping my GPA would make up for a lackluster LSAT, but Harvard doesn't seem to give a damn.
Does that mean I've been held since the UR date reset to 1/6? I haven't received any e-mail about being held. Can you be held without one? What's the likelihood of getting in without a JR1? And is it still possible to have a JR1 months late into the season, after you've gone under review?

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm

mockstar wrote:I am new to all this thread stuff (and freaking out based on everyone getting in and me having heard diddly squat :( ) and am not sure if this is the right place to post, but my questions seem very relevant to the discussion topics at hand. If someone could answer a couple questions of mine I'd really appreciate it. Here's my info
Non-URM
Complete on 10/8
Can't remember when it first went under review (shortly after it went complete I believe), but now it says UR as of 1/6.
I was hoping my GPA would make up for a lackluster LSAT, but Harvard doesn't seem to give a damn.
Does that mean I've been held since the UR date reset to 1/6? I haven't received any e-mail about being held. Can you be held without one? What's the likelihood of getting in without a JR1? And is it still possible to have a JR1 months late into the season, after you've gone under review?

your GPA rocks, problem is that there are enough 170+ scorers with your gpa as well.

it is not possible to get in without a JR1

this long w/o a JR1 is not so hot, but there is still a chance until you get WL/hold/rejected

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:07 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:Make sure your phone is up and running ASAP. I don't think it's a communication issue. If you were rejected or accepted, your status checker would update. If you were held, your UR date would've updated (did it?). I submitted the night of 10/16 (I put 10/17 on LSN because they obviously did not process it that evening); you are way before me. You are probably incredibly borderline relative to the applicant pool and they anticipated accepting you today but for whatever reason did not.
No, I'm still UR 9/28. I'm definitely borderline, but what on earth does the bold mean? Haha.
Dignan wrote:Seriously, I'd give it another week or two before assuming that something unusual is going on. There are a lot of applicants who don't post on TLS. It could be that there are still a dozen or so applicants in your boat, and Harvard is planning to deal with them, one way or another, by the end of this week.
I always forget about those non-TLS people. They make things so damn difficult. But I agree, I'm not going to contact them anytime soon. I don't think my situation warrants that. If I haven't heard by, say, Feb. 1, I'll probably contact them.
sfdreaming09 wrote:Btw, would you consider HLS over SLS? I thought SLS was your #1.
I'd have to consider it. It's Harvard. I'd visit, etc. I think I'd probably choose Stanford in the end, but I'd have to do my due diligence.

I meant that they didn't hold you last week because they expected to give you a call today but perhaps the committee selected another applicant over you in the last few hours. This is unlikely, I know.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks englawyer. Not fantastic news, but answers are answers.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:34 pm

mockstar wrote:Thanks englawyer. Not fantastic news, but answers are answers.

i notice you dont have SLS on your list. consider adding it if you can stand california; they are more "holistic" than HLS and you have a fine shot with your 168 LSAT. they also like high GPA

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:39 pm

englawyer wrote:
mockstar wrote:Thanks englawyer. Not fantastic news, but answers are answers.

i notice you dont have SLS on your list. consider adding it if you can stand california; they are more "holistic" than HLS and you have a fine shot with your 168 LSAT. they also like high GPA

I wish I'd known that before! SLS would be great (I'd certainly be lucky to go there), but I'm an east coaster, and in all honesty, I think my mother would kill me if I went that far away haha

NewUser

Postby NewUser » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:46 pm

I had my JR1 on December 23 and my JR2 was today. I applied at the beginning of the month.

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:53 pm

NewUser wrote:I had my JR1 on December 23 and my JR2 was today. I applied at the beginning of the month.

Damn you heard fast

MHutson41

Postby MHutson41 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

application went under review 11/13 and hasn't changed since. when might i hear something?

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm

MHutson41 wrote:application went under review 11/13 and hasn't changed since. when might i hear something?

We have no way of knowing. I've been UR since 10/23 and Crack since sometime in September.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Core wrote:
MHutson41 wrote:application went under review 11/13 and hasn't changed since. when might i hear something?

We have no way of knowing. I've been UR since 10/23 and Crack since sometime in September.

I've been UR since 9/28. Did you have a JR1?

MHutson41

Postby MHutson41 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:04 pm

crackberry wrote:
Core wrote:

I've been UR since 9/28. Did you have a JR1?

No. I haven't heard anything since submitting the app and going under review on 11/13

mockstar

Postby mockstar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm

What does it mean if your UR date was updated but you didn't get an e-mail about being held?

dukecardinals

Postby dukecardinals » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Received a tweet from AdmissoinsDean announcing this interview with JR ( --LinkRemoved-- ). Haven't read the whole thing yet, but it's nice to finally put a picture with the name. Enjoy!

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:07 pm

I received the hold email today. Originally UR since 10/16 with no JR1.

I'm taking this as good news, since I was assuming rejection any day at this point.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 pm

MeasuredOptimism wrote:I received the hold email today. Originally UR since 10/16 with no JR1.

I'm taking this as good news, since I was assuming rejection any day at this point.

What time today did you receive the hold e-mail?

MeasuredOptimism

Postby MeasuredOptimism » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Core wrote:
MeasuredOptimism wrote:I received the hold email today. Originally UR since 10/16 with no JR1.

What time today did you receive the hold e-mail?

around noon EST

Winerack

Postby Winerack » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Submitted my application Decemberish
Phone interview mid-last week
Accepted today!

...holy crap

First I've heard from except NYU in late December.

Core

Postby Core » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Winerack wrote:Submitted my application Decemberish
Phone interview mid-last week
Accepted today!

...holy crap

First I've heard from except NYU in late December.

Congrats!
Today was such a disappointment. *sigh*

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Congratulations to all of the new admits!!! :D

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Congrats to everyone. Is anyone still "under review" from 10/28 (or earlier) without a JR1? Thoroughly surprised I haven't been rejected yet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”