Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgina

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:25 pm

VoidSix wrote:Also--I have heard Harvard plans to do rolling waitlists / rejections this year as opposed to last year, when the bulk of the borderline applicants were notified in April.

interesting when combined with the notion that they might be using factors beside order received (like gpa) to pick which apps to consider first. hopefully JR doesn't let the other apps sit on the backburner too long. less predictable schedule than before, but hopefully faster responses on average.

and, janer's avatar is adorable. i'm going to reward myself with a puppy when i get my first acceptance!

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:53 pm

finished my JR1 -- wow, relatively harmless is really a good phrase to use for it. he's a really nice guy that doesnt try to intimidate you.

hope i did well, lasted 9 minutes 30 seconds exact. he did hang up really quickly after we said good bye...(begin neurotic ruminations)

edit: my post was not right after the interview lol
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:14 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:finished my JR1 -- wow, relatively harmless is really a good phrase to use for it. he's a really nice guy that doesnt try to intimidate you.

hope i did well, lasted 9 minutes 30 seconds exact. he did hang up really quickly after we said good bye...(begin neurotic ruminations)

Well done, numbers twin. Well done.

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:23 pm

VoidSix wrote:Also--I have heard Harvard plans to do rolling waitlists / rejections this year as opposed to last year, when the bulk of the borderline applicants were notified in April.

Whether I am accepted, rejected, or somewhere in the middle, I'm grateful for that.

Can I ask where you heard this?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Chichaca wrote:

Whether I am accepted, rejected, or somewhere in the middle, I'm grateful for that.

Can I ask where you heard this?

Mm well JR did say faculty would review my app from here on out and try to let me know as soon as possible...lol, sounds optimistic for rolling acceptances/waitlists/rejects (hope im in the first category lol).

pulpfree

Postby pulpfree » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:32 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:finished my JR1 -- wow, relatively harmless is really a good phrase to use for it. he's a really nice guy that doesnt try to intimidate you.

Congrats!!!! Sounds like it really went smoothly. When did you go complete?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:34 pm

A friend of mine talked to KB (who did interviews part of last year) who said that waiting to do waitlists and rejections was the worst decision the admission office had made and they wouldn't be doing it again this year.

T14

Postby T14 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Congrats! I'm sure you rocked it.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:20 pm

pulpfree wrote:

Congrats!!!! Sounds like it really went smoothly. When did you go complete?

Haha thanks for the congrats. My status checker changed to complete/under review 9/30 ish but i didnt get the email till 10/08. Got the email for JR1 last week.

T14 wrote:

Congrats! I'm sure you rocked it.

As always, thanks for the kind words T14!
Last edited by DoubleChecks on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Alright, just submitted my application. It's the first one I've submitted. Anyone know how long it's going to take me to hear anything back?

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Just wanted to note that the first few JR calls were at about 30 mins - 1 hour intervals for TLSers which leads me to believe that TLS is indeed somewhat representative and attracks one of the best applicants out there. :)

nycsource

Postby nycsource » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:03 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:Just wanted to note that the first few JR calls were at about 30 mins - 1 hour intervals for TLSers which leads me to believe that TLS is indeed somewhat representative and attracks one of the best applicants out there. :)

what do you mean?

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:17 pm

nycsource wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Just wanted to note that the first few JR calls were at about 30 mins - 1 hour intervals for TLSers which leads me to believe that TLS is indeed somewhat representative and attracks one of the best applicants out there. :)

what do you mean?

TLSers getting their JR1 calls (page 10). Pay attention at time.

nycsource

Postby nycsource » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:22 pm

dont you think several calls are done an each hour. How many JR1 invites do you think have gone out by now?

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:30 pm

nycsource wrote:dont you think several calls are done an each hour. How many JR1 invites do you think have gone out by now?

Oh really, so you think he hangs up and dials the next one right after? I don't, he probably takes some time for notes and stuff... even if he does 4-5 calls per hour, there are people who received theirs in 30-40 mins interval (meaning: one TLSer hung up --> posted here, 20-30 mins passed the other TLSer got a call --> hung up ---> posted here). My guess is there was like 1 phone call in between. I could be wrong though.

It was just an observation, and even if JR does make one call right after another, it still proves TLS to be attracting one of the best and to be quite reliable.

marbletop

Postby marbletop » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:36 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
nycsource wrote:dont you think several calls are done an each hour. How many JR1 invites do you think have gone out by now?

Oh really, so you think he hangs up and dials the next one right after? I don't, he probably takes some time for notes and stuff... even if he does 4-5 calls per hour, there are people who received theirs in 30-40 mins interval (meaning: one TLSer hung up --> posted here, 20-30 mins passed the other TLSer got a call --> hung up ---> posted here). My guess is there was like 1 phone call in between. I could be wrong though.

It was just an observation, and even if JR does make one call right after another, it still proves TLS to be attracting one of the best and to be quite reliable.

I don't know about the others, but I didn't post straight away after the interview: it was more like a couple of hours later.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:42 pm

marbletop wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:

I don't know about the others, but I didn't post straight away after the interview: it was more like a couple of hours later.

Ok then, I failed at my observing. :( they just seemed to be claiming "oh I just got off the phone", or maybe I just made that up

T14

Postby T14 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:41 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
marbletop wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:

Ok then, I failed at my observing. :( they just seemed to be claiming "oh I just got off the phone", or maybe I just made that up

I posted pretty soon after. I was wondering something similar: how many of the calls went out vs. how many were reported on TLS. I have a hunch your observation is more accurate than you might think!

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 pm

going on that same idea LuckyOne and T14, I wonder how many people total will be in the first batch of acceptances pre-thanksgiving and how many of those are on TLS.

830 total acceptances go out...so first batch, maybe 200? or is that too high lol?

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:20 pm

T14 wrote: I posted pretty soon after. I was wondering something similar: how many of the calls went out vs. how many were reported on TLS. I have a hunch your observation is more accurate than you might think!

Taking into account that HLS makes about 1100 phone calls whithin say half a year the majority of which falls into November-February period, I doubt that there were many of those lately. It merely seems to be too early in the cycle.

So I've just made a separate thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93290), so TLSers can just +1 there and then see the number of posts in July. I don't know if there is any benefit, but definitely no harm :)

sfdreaming09

Postby sfdreaming09 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 am

I had my JR1 on 10/22 (the first day he started making calls), but am in no way what people would consider an "auto-admit." I'm 3.97/171.

I've heard (not sure where or how reliable the source was) that almost all pre-Thanksgiving interview invitees were accepted. Is this true? Do they really not waitlist/reject people who are interviewed that early in the cycle?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:41 am

sfdreaming09 wrote:I had my JR1 on 10/22 (the first day he started making calls), but am in no way what people would consider an "auto-admit." I'm 3.97/171.

I've heard (not sure where or how reliable the source was) that almost all pre-Thanksgiving interview invitees were accepted. Is this true? Do they really not waitlist/reject people who are interviewed that early in the cycle?

would love to know, but think it would be near impossible to find out.

however, but here is a tentative +1 because i hope this is true lol

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:42 am

sfdreaming09 wrote:I had my JR1 on 10/22 (the first day he started making calls), but am in no way what people would consider an "auto-admit." I'm 3.97/171.

I don't think you can really judge from past cycles as they've been switching things up a bit, but good luck!

exeunt

Postby exeunt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:32 am

Just got the invite! I have to thank you guys for alleviating my neuroticism :) did you guys reply to the invite to confirm or just leave it?
Last edited by exeunt on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

emptybee

Postby emptybee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:40 am

Does having your app received and getting access to the Harvard status checker = complete, or will there be a separate email for complete?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”