Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Kretzy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Dignan wrote:
englawyer wrote:US Senators

w/ Yale JD:
Michael Bennet (Colorado)
Arlen Specter (Penn)

You missed at least one: Joe Lieberman (Yale, '67)


Lieberman doesn't count. The only list he belongs on is "Senate's Wiliest Jowls."

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby driveshaft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Celibidache wrote:
englawyer wrote:for fun...who wants to do house of representatives...


US Senators

w/ Yale JD:
Michael Bennet (Colorado)
Arlen Specter (Penn)
Joseph Lieberman (Conn)

w/ Harvard JD:
Mike Crapo (Idaho)
Paul Kirk (Mass)
Carl Levin (Mich)
Chuck Schumer (NY)
Jack Reed (RI)
Mark Warner (Virginia)
Herb Kohl (Wisconsin)
Russ Feingold (Wisc)


My thoughts exactly.


Yeah, I guess it gives you better odds in Democratic politics. Republicans are probably better off attending the best school in their state so they don't strike people as elitists?

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Richard Rorty wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
kurama20 wrote: Stanford's place in HYS is akin to NYU's place in CCN.


+1.


What do you mean by this?


Both TTTs of their respective tiers.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:09 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
amidea wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I'm checking in pretty late here. I've had a very bad semester and I only just applied to Harvard (and other schools) the other day. I have a 179 and LSAC 3.77 from a mediocre school. I normally post on the Something Awful law thread as MoFauxHawk. Here is my LSN: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CoaltoNewCastle . I expect to hear from them in late January. Good luck, everybody.

Haha nice username. Welcome! Gargamel and I can always use another numbers sibling to share in our bemusement and misery. (Although obviously I wish you better luck, lol.)


Yea, I imagine a 179 and 3.75+ GPA would make me quite miserable...

(Not trying to be bitter or anything, just struck me as humorous :) )

It's more the combination of 179(+), 3.75+, early JR1, and no JR2. I'm going to call it the USS: Wait, is my GPA really that low?


all aboard!

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:09 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
kurama20 wrote: Stanford's place in HYS is akin to NYU's place in CCN.


+1.


What do you mean by this?


Both TTTs of their respective tiers.


LOL. in before things get violent

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:23 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Richard Rorty wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
kurama20 wrote: Stanford's place in HYS is akin to NYU's place in CCN.


+1.


What do you mean by this?


Both TTTs of their respective tiers.

That's pretty silly. Just one year ago, Harvard and Stanford were tied for 2nd in USNWR. If Stanford ever decides to bump up its LSAT median a point or two (and Stanford might be doing that this year), then Harvard drops to 3rd.

Look, they're all great schools. But the differences among the three (and particularly the difference between Harvard and Stanford) is vanishingly small.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:28 pm

Dignan wrote:That's pretty silly. Just one year ago, Harvard and Stanford were tied for 2nd in USNWR. If Stanford ever decides to bump up its LSAT median a point or two (and Stanford might be doing that this year), then Harvard drops to 3rd.

Look, they're all great schools. But the differences among the three (and particularly the difference between Harvard and Stanford) is vanishingly small.


The TTT designation doesn't merely have to do with USNWR ranking. Obviously, because NYU is ranked higher than Chicago. HY grads have more options than SLS grad. CC grads have more options than NYU grads. SLS is more similar to CC and NYU more similar to MVPB.

User avatar
rowlf
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby rowlf » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Dignan wrote:
englawyer wrote:US Senators

w/ Yale JD:
Michael Bennet (Colorado)
Arlen Specter (Penn)

You missed at least one: Joe Lieberman (Yale, '67)


+1, noticed that right away.

Also, Harvard has three times the enrollment as Yale. If three senators went to Yale, and eight senators went to Harvard, that's actually proportionally higher representation for YLS in the senate. It's unclear how accurate that list is, though.

Anyway, I think they are the same for politics, and in a class by themselves at that. Obviously, you can also get a good start going to the top school in a region and going into politics in that region.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:43 pm

rowlf wrote:
Dignan wrote:
englawyer wrote:US Senators

w/ Yale JD:
Michael Bennet (Colorado)
Arlen Specter (Penn)

You missed at least one: Joe Lieberman (Yale, '67)


+1, noticed that right away.

Also, Harvard has three times the enrollment as Yale. If three senators went to Yale, and eight senators went to Harvard, that's actually proportionally higher representation for YLS in the senate. It's unclear how accurate that list is, though.

Anyway, I think they are the same for politics, and in a class by themselves at that. Obviously, you can also get a good start going to the top school in a region and going into politics in that region.


Do most people in Chicago/Illinois know that UChicago is the best university in the state? I wouldn't think so, but could be wrong.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:54 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Dignan wrote:That's pretty silly. Just one year ago, Harvard and Stanford were tied for 2nd in USNWR. If Stanford ever decides to bump up its LSAT median a point or two (and Stanford might be doing that this year), then Harvard drops to 3rd.

Look, they're all great schools. But the differences among the three (and particularly the difference between Harvard and Stanford) is vanishingly small.


The TTT designation doesn't merely have to do with USNWR ranking. Obviously, because NYU is ranked higher than Chicago. HY grads have more options than SLS grad. CC grads have more options than NYU grads. SLS is more similar to CC and NYU more similar to MVPB.

I can tell that this discussion is unlikely to be productive, but I'll bother to say that I don't agree that that SLS is more similar to CC than it is to Harvard. Although you can make a decent argument that Yale should be considered in a class by itself, I'm not sure why you would say that Harvard, but not Stanford, gets to join Yale at the very top.

With respect to clerkships and academic placement, Harvard and Stanford are roughly similar. After that, it depends on what you want to do. If I want to land the best possible biglaw job in NYC, then I pick Harvard over Stanford. (For that matter, I probably pick Columbia over Stanford.) But if I want to do IP or environmental law on the west coast, then I pick Stanford over Harvard (and maybe even Berkeley over Harvard).

zamd006
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby zamd006 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 pm

Dignan wrote: With respect to clerkships and academic placement, Harvard and Stanford are roughly similar. After that, it depends on what you want to do. If I want to land the best possible biglaw job in NYC, then I pick Harvard over Stanford. (For that matter, I probably pick Columbia over Stanford.) But if I want to do IP or environmental law on the west coast, then I pick Stanford over Harvard (and maybe even Berkeley over Harvard).


I think you guys discount lay prestige as if it didn't mean anything. If I wanted to start my own private practice the name Harvard would give me a million more clients than Stanford. Any normal person would want a Harvard grad much more than even a Yale grad. It's only in legal circles that Yale seems to hold sway (And I even doubt this because in the USNWR rankings, lawyers and judges give Harvard/Yale an equal rating of 4.8 out of 5, Stanford gets 4.7). Like you said, I guess it does depend what you want to do with it.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm

This frankly pointless discussion is threatening to hijack what was once an interesting thread. Selecting a law school isn't just about who's currently 1, 2, or 3 in USNWR or who scores the highest number of Senators; it's about what program best suits your interests and your career goals. In other words, it's about YOU, and nobody else.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Dignan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm

zamd006 wrote:
Dignan wrote: With respect to clerkships and academic placement, Harvard and Stanford are roughly similar. After that, it depends on what you want to do. If I want to land the best possible biglaw job in NYC, then I pick Harvard over Stanford. (For that matter, I probably pick Columbia over Stanford.) But if I want to do IP or environmental law on the west coast, then I pick Stanford over Harvard (and maybe even Berkeley over Harvard).


I think you guys discount lay prestige as if it didn't mean anything. If I wanted to start my own private practice the name Harvard would give me a million more clients than Stanford. Any normal person would want a Harvard grad much more than even a Yale grad. It's only in legal circles that Yale seems to hold sway (And I even doubt this because in the USNWR rankings, lawyers and judges give Harvard/Yale an equal rating of 4.8 out of 5, Stanford gets 4.7). Like you said, I guess it does depend what you want to do with it.

Well, if we're talking lay prestige, then "Princeton Law" should be ranked either first or second. :D

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby driveshaft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:39 pm

rowlf wrote:
Also, Harvard has three times the enrollment as Yale. If three senators went to Yale, and eight senators went to Harvard, that's actually proportionally higher representation for YLS in the senate. It's unclear how accurate that list is, though.

Anyway, I think they are the same for politics, and in a class by themselves at that. Obviously, you can also get a good start going to the top school in a region and going into politics in that region.


Sample size is obviously a problem here. The reason I speculated that HLS is more advantageous for politics was because of connections (i.e. fundraising) and lay prestige.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:40 pm

managamy wrote:This frankly pointless discussion is threatening to hijack what was once an interesting thread. Selecting a law school isn't just about who's currently 1, 2, or 3 in USNWR or who scores the highest number of Senators; it's about what program best suits your interests and your career goals. In other words, it's about YOU, and nobody else.

:o i thought it just got interesting! :P

zamd006
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby zamd006 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 pm

managamy wrote:This frankly pointless discussion is threatening to hijack what was once an interesting thread. Selecting a law school isn't just about who's currently 1, 2, or 3 in USNWR or who scores the highest number of Senators; it's about what program best suits your interests and your career goals. In other words, it's about YOU, and nobody else.


True. I'm sorry for stoking the fire. Seriously YLS, HLS, SLS amazing schools. Pick the one that fits you the most, that's it.

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby driveshaft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:47 pm

managamy wrote:This frankly pointless discussion is threatening to hijack what was once an interesting thread. Selecting a law school isn't just about who's currently 1, 2, or 3 in USNWR or who scores the highest number of Senators; it's about what program best suits your interests and your career goals. In other words, it's about YOU, and nobody else.


USNWR discussion? Fine.
But the Senator discussion began as a discussion on the very premise that among HYS it's a personal decision. We were talking about the various strengths of the three schools (which is why it'd be about YOU and nobody else). The number of Senators was a silly and minor point. We were talking about why someone might pick Harvard over its peer schools. Is that discussion really out of line for this thread?

Also, "once interesting"? You really want to hear one more question about what JR asks in the interview? Besides, it's Sunday. What admissions topic is there to discuss?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:51 pm

driveshaft wrote:
managamy wrote:This frankly pointless discussion is threatening to hijack what was once an interesting thread. Selecting a law school isn't just about who's currently 1, 2, or 3 in USNWR or who scores the highest number of Senators; it's about what program best suits your interests and your career goals. In other words, it's about YOU, and nobody else.


USNWR discussion? Fine.
But the Senator discussion began as a discussion on the very premise that among HYS it's a personal decision. We were talking about the various strengths of the three schools (which is why it'd be about YOU and nobody else). The number of Senators was a silly and minor point. We were talking about why someone might pick Harvard over its peer schools. Is that discussion really out of line for this thread?

Also, "once interesting"? You really want to hear one more question about what JR asks in the interview? Besides, it's Sunday. What admissions topic is there to discuss?


Apologize for my misreading of the Senator conversation.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby 02082010 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:55 pm

All I want is a JR1.

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby skip james » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:56 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:All I want is a JR1.


im greedier than you.

BreakOrDeath88
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby BreakOrDeath88 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:05 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
amidea wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Haha nice username. Welcome! Gargamel and I can always use another numbers sibling to share in our bemusement and misery. (Although obviously I wish you better luck, lol.)


Yea, I imagine a 179 and 3.75+ GPA would make me quite miserable...

(Not trying to be bitter or anything, just struck me as humorous :) )

It's more the combination of 179(+), 3.75+, early JR1, and no JR2. I'm going to call it the USS: Wait, is my GPA really that low?


all aboard!


Jesus, you guys are scaring the shit out of me. When did you guys have your JR 1's? And what are your stats (If you're comfortable revealing, of course)?

I had my JR 1 on Thursday (12/10) and am waiting for that mystical JR 2...My stat range is 176-178, 3.75-3.80.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:07 pm

The issue with sky-high stats is that your expectations are also sky-high; it's proportional, so any disappointment is magnified exponentially

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby driveshaft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:10 pm

BreakOrDeath88 wrote:
Jesus, you guys are scaring the shit out of me. When did you guys have your JR 1's? And what are your stats (If you're comfortable revealing, of course)?

I had my JR 1 on Thursday (12/10) and am waiting for that mystical JR 2...My stat range is 176-178, 3.75-3.80.


If you're getting a JR2, LSN pattern says it'll be tomorrow ... but maybe I shouldn't tell you that because I barely slept last Sunday. My fingers are crossed for you.

driveshaft
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:38 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby driveshaft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:10 pm

managamy wrote:The issue with sky-high stats is that your expectations are also sky-high; it's proportional, so any disappointment is magnified exponentially


My family so doesn't understand this.

User avatar
letsgojayhawks
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Any opinions on how long till the first rejections/waitlist? I'll be sad if Harvard waits until April like it did last year.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 4 guests