Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
capitalacq

Silver

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by capitalacq » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:17 pm

i can't even find a facepalm image bold enough to explain my feelings right now.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Oh come on... you two really thought he was serious? I find that hard to believe.
i doubt they would take a 171/4 over a 175/4 with equal softs of course :P.

but i could believe that HLS might try implementing a more holistic approach, and thus lower their "targets". it would be radical, but it might make more sense from an admissions perspective to say "ok 167+/3.7+ is pretty damn smart. lets put them all the applications above those numbers in a bin and check out their softs"...and investigate leadership, negotiation, interest in the law, etc. they might be able to capture more up and coming politicians or trial lawyers that have amazing charm and charisma, but are not amazingly strong in the "book smarts" department.

that is obviously a radical change in LS admissions, but if anyone would do it i would guess it would have to come from the top schools first. if HLS median was suddenly 170 due to the above approach, i wonder if US news would be so bold to lower their ranking to the lower T14...

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 pm

englawyer wrote:
Oh come on... you two really thought he was serious? I find that hard to believe.
that is obviously a radical change in LS admissions, but if anyone would do it i would guess it would have to come from the top schools first. if HLS median was suddenly 170 due to the above approach, i wonder if US news would be so bold to lower their ranking to the lower T14...
It would take a lot more than a 170 LSAT median to place Harvard in the lower T14. A 170 median would probably put Harvard third, right behind Stanford (which actually has a 170 LSAT median, come to think of it). Even with a lower LSAT median, Harvard's GPA and reputation scores would still keep it well above Columbia
Last edited by Dignan on Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Glad to hear it was only a joke, but I'm really desperate for any explanation as to why I am w/o a JR1. With a 3.9/175 and complete since early Nov, only reason that made sense was that maybe I wasn't holistic enough...

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:13 am

starsong wrote:Glad to hear it was only a joke, but I'm really desperate for any explanation as to why I am w/o a JR1. With a 3.9/175 and complete since early Nov, only reason that made sense was that maybe I wasn't holistic enough...
Welcome to the not holistic enough club.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:15 am

has anyone gotten a j1 email these days or have those come to a temporary halt?

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:24 am

grrrstick wrote:Welcome to the not holistic enough club.
Oh that all the holistic super-overachievers-ivy-geniuses-future-politicians would go to Yale and leave a few seats at Harvard for us ordinary folk...

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:17 am

starsong wrote:
grrrstick wrote:Welcome to the not holistic enough club.
Oh that all the holistic super-overachievers-ivy-geniuses-future-politicians would go to Yale and leave a few seats at Harvard for us ordinary folk...
yeah.. like Obama.. winning the Nobel Prize that you might not have deserved just is the definition of failure of course :mrgreen:

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:51 am

anyone scoped this guy out yet on LSN? http://lawschoolnumbers.com/IndianDude

he seems weirdly preoccupied with this indian thing. not that there's anything wrong with that, i just think statements like "I am looking for other Indians with high LSAT scores. We should try to concentrate in one university." are a little strange, not to mention the first comment he leaves on others' pages is often "are you indian?"

bless his heart, i just find this mildly amusing for some reason

fwiw he did get into HLS, but claims his top choice is boalt (where he also has been accepted)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:53 am

GargamelITT wrote:anyone scoped this guy out yet on LSN? http://lawschoolnumbers.com/IndianDude

he seems weirdly preoccupied with this indian thing. not that there's anything wrong with that, i just think statements like "I am looking for other Indians with high LSAT scores. We should try to concentrate in one university." are a little strange, not to mention the first comment he leaves on others' pages is often "are you indian?"

fwiw he did get into HLS, but claims his top choice is boalt (where he also has been accepted)
H is his seventh choice. I find that interesting. He is a pretty weird dude though lol...

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:10 am

GeePee wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:anyone scoped this guy out yet on LSN? http://lawschoolnumbers.com/IndianDude

H is his seventh choice. I find that interesting.
Well, he doesn't "really care about HYS bull crap."

Also, he is strangely hostile to NYU. It's like someone put a gun to his head and made him apply there. He seemed extremely resentful when NYU offered him admission. At least he immediately withdrew his application, telling the future admit who gets his spot to "enjoy living in an icy hell."

Strange, indeed.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:13 am

Yeah also says he hates cold weather and doesn't want HYS.

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:24 am

crackberry wrote:

Yeah also says he hates cold weather and doesn't want HYS.
If H is only his 7th choice, think he'd be up for donating that unappreciated acceptance to someone else?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:26 am

I LOLed at this guy when I saw it on LSN earlier... including that statement up above, he also said he believed he was the "highest scoring Indian" and you were "welcome to prove him wrong."

Hahahaha... made me think he was out to set up a little kingdom of Indian LS students with him as supreme mugglewump.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:49 am

SolarWind wrote:
I LOLed at this guy when I saw it on LSN earlier... including that statement up above, he also said he believed he was the "highest scoring Indian" and you were "welcome to prove him wrong."
On another person's profile, he wrote that he got his LSAT score on the June 2007 test, right after he left school. The problem is that there was no 179 score available on the June07 scale. [I am surprised by the number of people who fail to heed the most important rule of LSAT lying: if you're going to inflate your score, make sure you choose a number that was actually possible to achieve on test day.]

Given how well he is doing this cycle, I don't doubt that he has an excellent LSAT score, but there is reason to believe that not everything on his LSN profile is accurate.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:51 am

Some people take special sabbath or overseas tests which may have different scales.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:56 am

msoftceo wrote:Some people take special sabbath or overseas tests which may have different scales.
Fair point, though he said that he took it while an undergraduate at Cornell. I suppose it's possible that he was studying abroad or that he left the country right after the spring semester ended. There are no special sabbath administrations for the June tests; they're always held on a Monday instead of on a Saturday.

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I'm sure he is a very smart guy who just happens to have a few quirks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:33 am

SolarWind wrote:

Hahahaha... made me think he was out to set up a little kingdom of Indian LS students with him as supreme mugglewump.
I just lol'ed picturing the kingdom

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:57 am

DallasCowboy wrote:
SolarWind wrote:

I just lol'ed picturing the kingdom
LOL I keep thinking of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for some reason

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 am

Wonder what this guy'll be like as a lawyer/colleague if he's like this on an ONLINE profile...

*cringe*

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:13 am

If he doesn't care about the HYS bullcrap... why is S his #2 choice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 am

fidesverita wrote:If he doesn't care about the HYS bullcrap... why is S his #2 choice?
Weather? Concentration of Indians? Good place to plan world domination at?

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:42 am

Well I'm Indian, and though he's been quite supportive of my cycle on LSN, I've mostly ignored his advocacy of racial self ghetto-isation! Strangely he also seems to know the number of Indian professors at every top school, which is definitely a little odd, along with his hatred for cold weather, one that I don't share.

FWIW, I would take Harvard over Boalt any day, I couldn't care less if it was located at the North Pole. In fact the weather just seems to make it all the more endearing. Anyway judging by his numbers and cycle, he's clearly a smart fella, but I've had a hard time figuring out the reasoning behind his quirks. Oh well...

agathon360

New

Post by agathon360 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Has anyone reading this forum received a JR1 email this week? And if so, when did you go under review?

gtbubblehead

New

Post by gtbubblehead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 pm

JR1 Email! Complete 11/5

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”