Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:59 pm

managamy wrote:Could not agree more; unless you're right on the bubble, you just need to be coherent and nothing disastrous will happen.

Right and I was/am right on the bubble so it's theoretically possible my weak interview sealed my fate. I'm going to try to tell myself that's not the case though, in the hopes of saving my sanity.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:03 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Could not agree more; unless you're right on the bubble, you just need to be coherent and nothing disastrous will happen.

Right and I was/am right on the bubble so it's theoretically possible my weak interview sealed my fate. I'm going to try to tell myself that's not the case though, in the hopes of saving my sanity.

I'm sure that it's not the case. The man laughed at me when I asked him if I could further strengthen my application, and I still got a JR2. I have yet to hear of an applicant who came out of a JR1 oozing with confidence about their stunning performance. So it's more than likely that your "weak" interview was completely typical.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I'm sure that it's not the case. The man laughed at me when I asked him if I could further strengthen my application, and I still got a JR2. I have yet to hear of an applicant who came out of a JR1 oozing with confidence about their stunning performance. So it's more than likely that your "weak" interview was completely typical.

Right but since I was right on the bubble, JR could've been looking for me to blow him out of the water, and when I didn't, I was out; unlike for people with your #s, for whom the interview is a mere formality. I don't actually think that's the case, but I suppose it's within the realm of possibility. Either way, if I end up not getting in (and if I don't get a call during the next round of JR2s, I will assume that's the case), I'm going to tell myself that the committee didn't like something about my app. It will help me sleep at night to think that, rather than that my interview did me in.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:
sayan wrote:i haven't heard back from JR and i have 75th percentile+ stats... HELP! was it my personal statement? maybe I didn't finish it off with a stronger sentence?

am i WLed? dinged? oh my god it has been 10 days since I submitted!!!

No, no, no. 10 days since submission? It was 3 weeks between my submission and my JR1, and I am also above both 75ths. Relax; you're going to get a JR1, and likely a JR2 unless you made a truly ghastly mistake.

Pretty sure he was being facetious.

indeed :p i'm hoping fora jr2 before xmas but I'm not holding my breath.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:47 pm

crackberry wrote:

I feel the same way. My interview sucked and since I'm borderline as it is I feel like the interview might have hurt me

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:57 am

sayan wrote:
yes, JR is going to reject you because you interrupted without apologizing. oh the humanity. perhaps you should take a couple deep breaths and realize the interview barely matters. I'm sure he already knows who he is accepting ahead of time and unless you're utterly borderlined it won't change a thing -- let alone interrupting accidentally.

sayan wrote:i haven't heard back from JR and i have 75th percentile+ stats... HELP! was it my personal statement? maybe I didn't finish it off with a stronger sentence?

am i WLed? dinged? oh my god it has been 10 days since I submitted!!!

dude, unnecessary. relax. i was just answering a question.

i am, in fact, a borderline candidate. i imagine, similar to what crackberry and lz06 have expressed, that the interview is a good bit more meaningful for me than it is for a 4.0/180. sure, a 4.0/180 could tell JR about how much he loves to club seals in his spare time and probably still count on a JR2. nature of the game. i'd imagine that someone with my numbers, on the other hand, needs to leave a better impression than that.

so when i called it potentially a "dealbreaker," i meant "dealbreaker for me, a borderline candidate." so no, i don't think interrupting him could straight up cause anybody to be rejected. but i do think it would contribute negatively to the interview. and my (admittedly speculative) sense is that i'm a case in which a negative enough interview can possibly mean bad news.

sayan

Postby sayan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:46 am

i may have over reacted but I just find the neurosis to be way too much sometimes. I'm sure JR only cares about the substance of your answers and a mistaken interrupt won't do anything. you're over thinking things.

anyway, good luck. don't get stressed out -- it's unhealthy ;)

Celibidache

Postby Celibidache » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:59 am

I went through this very process last year and it consumed my life much like it's consuming most of you currently.

I wish I hadn't been so damn naive.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:32 am

GargamelITT wrote:
so when i called it potentially a "dealbreaker," i meant "dealbreaker for me, a borderline candidate." so no, i don't think interrupting him could straight up cause anybody to be rejected. but i do think it would contribute negatively to the interview. and my (admittedly speculative) sense is that i'm a case in which a negative enough interview can possibly mean bad news.

To be honest, I still don't think that he (or any other rational person) would have made a decision based on the fact that you started a sentence before he finished one of his sentences.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:43 am

Right but since I was right on the bubble, JR could've been looking for me to blow him out of the water, and when I didn't, I was out; unlike for people with your #s, for whom the interview is a mere formality. I don't actually think that's the case, but I suppose it's within the realm of possibility. Either way, if I end up not getting in (and if I don't get a call during the next round of JR2s, I will assume that's the case), I'm going to tell myself that the committee didn't like something about my app. It will help me sleep at night to think that, rather than that my interview did me in.

it doesn't seem like there have been many JR1s post 11/23. i think this should play in your favor if they are planning to admit (more than a few) people this week or next week bc there won't be many JR1 but not JR2 people.

anyway i'm really hoping you and lz06 are on the list for your sake as well as mine! *sacrifices goat to LS gods*

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:19 pm

sayan wrote:i may have over reacted but I just find the neurosis to be way too much sometimes. I'm sure JR only cares about the substance of your answers and a mistaken interrupt won't do anything. you're over thinking things.

i'll buy this. it's been on my mind a ton, and i've dissected it in my head several times over. certainly not really productive behavior. i want it real bad though, so it's been really tough to keep it off my mind

managamy wrote:To be honest, I still don't think that he (or any other rational person) would have made a decision based on the fact that you started a sentence before he finished one of his sentences.

like i said, i don't think that either. all i meant to say was that a) i just think it's another negative straw on the camel's back and b) an auto-admit has a far stronger camel than i do. i realize i left too much room for misinterpretation so i apologize for that, but i think those two statements are fair. if they're actually not, i sure wouldn't mind.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Celibidache wrote:I went through this very process last year and it consumed my life much like it's consuming most of you currently.

I wish I hadn't been so damn naive.

are you a harvard 1L? i take it you mean naive in the sense that we're placing too much weight on stuff other than raw numbers?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:42 pm

sayan wrote:i may have over reacted but I just find the neurosis to be way too much sometimes. I'm sure JR only cares about the substance of your answers and a mistaken interrupt won't do anything. you're over thinking things.

good apology. lets keep up the past/usual atmosphere of this thread, which is one of camaraderie. there are ways of voicing an opinion w/o doing it in an non-supportive way.

for those still waiting for a JR2 after JR1, id still give it a few days since the next batch should be oncoming. its a stressful situation for sure.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:17 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
nicdmx wrote:How did the high LSAT people who haven't gotten JR2s yet feel about theirs?

i am one of these people. i went back and forth about it for a bit after the interview (and after the 11/23 wave which didn't include me) and have settled on thinking it didn't go particularly well. i doubt it did me any favors.

to be honest, if i don't get in, i'll probably end up blaming it in part on the interview. which will be a bit more painful than being able to shrug it off and place it on some other part of my application which had already been determined well before i pressed the submit button

I am one of these people too. Sometimes, I feel like the interview went well, and that I was straightforward, reasonably articulate, and, according to my eavesdropping husband, "refreshingly honest" (but not unwisely honest).

Other times, I feel like it went like this:
JR: "So, X career, what's that about?"
Me: "Well, I thought it would be fun, but then it wasn't."
JR: "And Y job, tell me about that."
Me: "It's a lot of fun! I really like it. Because it's fun."
JR: "So, law."
Me: "Yep! Should be fun, I reckon."
JR: "Any questions about HLS?"
Me: "...Is it fun?"

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:28 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Other times, I feel like it went like this:

I have a hard time believing Gargamel and BaiAilian won't get in eventually, which makes me slightly more upbeat about my own chances. Fingers crossed for Monday.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:48 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:
nicdmx wrote:How did the high LSAT people who haven't gotten JR2s yet feel about theirs?

i am one of these people. i went back and forth about it for a bit after the interview (and after the 11/23 wave which didn't include me) and have settled on thinking it didn't go particularly well. i doubt it did me any favors.

to be honest, if i don't get in, i'll probably end up blaming it in part on the interview. which will be a bit more painful than being able to shrug it off and place it on some other part of my application which had already been determined well before i pressed the submit button

I am one of these people too. Sometimes, I feel like the interview went well, and that I was straightforward, reasonably articulate, and, according to my eavesdropping husband, "refreshingly honest" (but not unwisely honest).

Other times, I feel like it went like this:

ahahaha

i approve of this post.

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Is it safe to say someone who submitted in early November with no JR1 will not be getting one?

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:52 pm

ChildPlease wrote:Is it safe to say someone who submitted in early November with no JR1 will not be getting one?

doubt it. i waited well over a month for mine.

edit: i meant i doubt that it's safe to say that

ChildPlease

Postby ChildPlease » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:00 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
ChildPlease wrote:Is it safe to say someone who submitted in early November with no JR1 will not be getting one?

doubt it. i waited well over a month for mine.

edit: i meant i doubt that it's safe to say that

I guess I won't give up hope just yet.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of the JR1-but-not-yet-JR2 hopefuls!

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:22 pm

managamy wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed for all of the JR1-but-not-yet-JR2 hopefuls!

:cry: What about the not-yet-and-maybe-not-likely-JR1 hopefuls?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:30 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
managamy wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed for all of the JR1-but-not-yet-JR2 hopefuls!

I hear you, but I think the worst feeling of all would be to get a JR1 and not get a JR2. They almost reached the summit of the mountain before slipping on a patch of black ice just below it. It's the smallest group of all according to last year's statistics, numbering only about 300 in comparison to the 800 admits.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:18 pm

managamy wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

I hear you, but I think the worst feeling of all would be to get a JR1 and not get a JR2. They almost reached the summit of the mountain before slipping on a patch of black ice just below it. It's the smallest group of all according to last year's statistics, numbering only about 300 in comparison to the 800 admits.

300 JR1-but-no-JR2 people is still more than I would have expected... surely that refutes the idea that the JR1 is intended merely to make sure that the candidate is not a lunatic? (Not that I have any trouble believing that 300 of Harvard's applicants each year are lunatics, but you know what I'm saying.)

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:29 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
managamy wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:

300 JR1-but-no-JR2 people is still more than I would have expected... surely that refutes the idea that the JR1 is intended merely to make sure that the candidate is not a lunatic? (Not that I have any trouble believing that 300 of Harvard's applicants each year are lunatics, but you know what I'm saying.)

I agree. I mean, nearly 30% of those who get an interview are not offered admission. That's a substantial percentage. Although one's performance in the JR1 is obviously not the dominant factor in Harvard's decision, it does seem to be more than just a make-sure-the-applicant-isn't-crazy test.

exeunt

Postby exeunt » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:32 am

i imagine it would be more an issue with the committee than the JR1 though.. i mean, it's so brief and you don't touch on very much, and the JR1 also comes before the general committee review (i think)... still, i'm inclined to doubt TLSers would fall into that group, i'm sure your JR2s are on the way :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”