Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bluedolphins

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby bluedolphins » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 am

managamy wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
+1

I can't believe there are people like me who are browsing this thread at this ungodly hour :lol:

2:30 AM isn't terribly ungodly; I pretty much sit on this forum for all of my waking hours, refreshing the page when I get a break from my work. :lol:

It is 5:30 am here and I am glad I can't use computers at work. I am not sure what my day will look like if I can. But I do kind of wish TLS had a chatroom.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 am

bluedolphins wrote:
managamy wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
+1

I can't believe there are people like me who are browsing this thread at this ungodly hour :lol:

2:30 AM isn't terribly ungodly; I pretty much sit on this forum for all of my waking hours, refreshing the page when I get a break from my work. :lol:

It is 5:30 am here and I am glad I can't use computers at work. I am not sure what my day will look like if I can. But I do kind of wish TLS had a chatroom.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't use computers at work. My PC is literally my third (and least expendable) hand.

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:49 am

bluedolphins wrote:I can't believe there are people like me who are browsing this thread at this ungodly hour :lol:

I like TLS at the late hours. It's kind of like a party for east coast insomniacs, midwesterners checking one last time before bed and west coasters unwinding from the day. It's usually during these times that threads take silly turns, which I like.

Also (and, I suppose, in that spirit), I hate the MS Word paperclip with an unyielding passion.

Edit to clean up my filthy language. There might be kids or nuns browsing this forum!

ali & ali

Postby ali & ali » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:04 am

Question:
What kinds of applicants receive a JR1 and no JR2? Do they have borderline numbers to begin with? Does this happen earlier in the cycle as well as later in the cycle? And most importantly, is there a God?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:19 pm

managamy wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
+1

Didn't you get a JR2 already?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:31 pm

so all has been quiet on the JR1 e-mail front for awhile? is that normal for this time of year?

by awhile, i mean three days...but it seemed like they were more continuous in november

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:00 pm

ali & ali wrote:Question:
What kinds of applicants receive a JR1 and no JR2? Do they have borderline numbers to begin with? Does this happen earlier in the cycle as well as later in the cycle? And most importantly, is there a God?

I had a JR1 in very early November and did not get a JR2 in that big batch before Thanksgiving. I am a borderline applicant at best though with a ~170 LSAT and ~3.9 GPA. I was surprised to get the JR1 in the first place.

There are others in my situation, though, with higher numbers. Some very high LSAT people have not gotten JR2s either.

jtc-85

Postby jtc-85 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:08 pm

I've got a quick question for those of you who have already had a JR1 phone interview. I know he asks about why law, why Harvard, and what I've been up to. Does he ask questions beyond this depending on the applicant, or is this the layout for pretty much everyone? Does anyone care to share a question they didn't see coming?

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:25 pm

jtc-85 wrote:I've got a quick question for those of you who have already had a JR1 phone interview. I know he asks about why law, why Harvard, and what I've been up to. Does he ask questions beyond this depending on the applicant, or is this the layout for pretty much everyone? Does anyone care to share a question they didn't see coming?

It was seriously just those questions.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:59 pm

driveshaft wrote:
jtc-85 wrote:I've got a quick question for those of you who have already had a JR1 phone interview. I know he asks about why law, why Harvard, and what I've been up to. Does he ask questions beyond this depending on the applicant, or is this the layout for pretty much everyone? Does anyone care to share a question they didn't see coming?

He occasionally throws in a question based on your application, but they're always very basic. He asked me "What was it like studying abroad at [Foreign University X]?" and I have a friend he asked "Tell me more about [Thesis Topic Y]."

In any case, it's 90% the questions you listed above, and I've never heard of a real curve-ball question.

nicdmx

Postby nicdmx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:03 pm

crackberry wrote:

I had a JR1 in very early November and did not get a JR2 in that big batch before Thanksgiving. I am a borderline applicant at best though with a ~170 LSAT and ~3.9 GPA. I was surprised to get the JR1 in the first place.

There are others in my situation, though, with higher numbers. Some very high LSAT people have not gotten JR2s either.

How did you feel about your JR1? How did the high LSAT people who haven't gotten JR2s yet feel about theirs?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Lysis wrote:
driveshaft wrote:

He occasionally throws in a question based on your application, but they're always very basic. He asked me "What was it like studying abroad at [Foreign University X]?" and I have a friend he asked "Tell me more about [Thesis Topic Y]."

In any case, it's 90% the questions you listed above, and I've never heard of a real curve-ball question.

+1. He asked me to explain an internship further, but he doesn't go after anything that's not prominently listed on your application or resume.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:05 pm

lz06 wrote:
managamy wrote:
bluedolphins wrote:
+1

Didn't you get a JR2 already?

Yes, I got it back on 11/23. I sit on this forum, not this thread, focusing on the threads of the schools from which I haven't received decisions.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:16 pm

nicdmx wrote:
crackberry wrote:

How did you feel about your JR1? How did the high LSAT people who haven't gotten JR2s yet feel about theirs?

I thought my JR1 was decent - not great but not horrible. He seemed to like a couple of my answers. I'm pretty confident it wasn't the interview that did me in.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:22 pm

[quote="crackberry] I thought my JR1 was decent - not great but not horrible. He seemed to like a couple of my answers. I'm pretty confident it wasn't the interview that did me in.[/quote]

Just to confirm that point, I wasn't terribly happy about my JR1; I don't think that most people felt completely satisfied with it. He even laughed at me when I asked if there was anything I could do to further strengthen my application. That moment gave me a bit of a nasty jolt, but I just put it out of my mind. The JR1 is probably one of the least critcial parts of your file.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:29 pm

nicdmx wrote:How did the high LSAT people who haven't gotten JR2s yet feel about theirs?

i am one of these people. i went back and forth about it for a bit after the interview (and after the 11/23 wave which didn't include me) and have settled on thinking it didn't go particularly well. i doubt it did me any favors.

to be honest, if i don't get in, i'll probably end up blaming it in part on the interview. which will be a bit more painful than being able to shrug it off and place it on some other part of my application which had already been determined well before i pressed the submit button

nicdmx

Postby nicdmx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:45 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
nicdmx wrote:How did the high LSAT people who haven't gotten JR2s yet feel about theirs?

i am one of these people. i went back and forth about it for a bit after the interview (and after the 11/23 wave which didn't include me) and have settled on thinking it didn't go particularly well. i doubt it did me any favors.

to be honest, if i don't get in, i'll probably end up blaming it in part on the interview. which will be a bit more painful than being able to shrug it off and place it on some other part of my application which had already been determined well before i pressed the submit button

What was it about the interview that you didn't feel went well? Did JR give you an indication through his response to your questions or was it just how you felt about your answers?

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:47 pm

when do you think they'll start sending out Dings/WL? This waiting is killing me.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm

nicdmx wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

What was it about the interview that you didn't feel went well? Did JR give you an indication through his response to your questions or was it just how you felt about your answers?

for one thing, i think i may have interrupted him a couple times by accident. it wasn't a great connection so it was difficult to tell. it actually didn't even occur to me until after the call that i might have interrupted him because everything during the call was so heat-of-battle-ish. if i did interrupt him more than once without apologizing, that's obviously quite bad, maybe nearing dealbreaker status depending how he felt about it

also, i didn't ask a question when he asked for one. my plan was to take an angle more or less like "i've learned a lot about harvard through the website, reading, info session at my school, etc, and at this point i don't have any burning questions, i think the next thing i want to learn about harvard is what it's like on campus, so i'm hoping to visit soon" and convey interest that way, but it really didn't seem to go over that well. i think someone ITT mentioned that JR said it's okay not to ask questions, but i finished the interview really wishing i'd asked him one. in retrospect, it seems like even a really simple, nondescript question like "how was your harvard experience" or "what's it like on campus" is probably better than the approach i took.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:35 pm

clint4law wrote:when do you think they'll start sending out Dings/WL? This waiting is killing me.

I think they wait until AFTER Dec to hand out dings. That's what I was told. So the longer it takes for them to get back to you, the less hope you have.

Depressing, really. It's like... "HAPPY NEW YEARRRRRRR!!!!! Not!"

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:40 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
nicdmx wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

for one thing, i think i may have interrupted him a couple times by accident. it wasn't a great connection so it was difficult to tell. it actually didn't even occur to me until after the call that i might have interrupted him because everything during the call was so heat-of-battle-ish. if i did interrupt him more than once without apologizing, that's obviously quite bad, maybe nearing dealbreaker status depending how he felt about it

also, i didn't ask a question when he asked for one. my plan was to take an angle more or less like "i've learned a lot about harvard through the website, reading, info session at my school, etc, and at this point i don't have any burning questions, i think the next thing i want to learn about harvard is what it's like on campus, so i'm hoping to visit soon" and convey interest that way, but it really didn't seem to go over that well. i think someone ITT mentioned that JR said it's okay not to ask questions, but i finished the interview really wishing i'd asked him one. in retrospect, it seems like even a really simple, nondescript question like "how was your harvard experience" or "what's it like on campus" is probably better than the approach i took.

yes, JR is going to reject you because you interrupted without apologizing. oh the humanity. perhaps you should take a couple deep breaths and realize the interview barely matters. I'm sure he already knows who he is accepting ahead of time and unless you're utterly borderlined it won't change a thing -- let alone interrupting accidentally.

sayan

Postby sayan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:43 pm

i haven't heard back from JR and i have 75th percentile+ stats... HELP! was it my personal statement? maybe I didn't finish it off with a stronger sentence?

am i WLed? dinged? oh my god it has been 10 days since I submitted!!!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:49 pm

[quote="sayan]

yes, JR is going to reject you because you interrupted without apologizing. oh the humanity. perhaps you should take a couple deep breaths and realize the interview barely matters. I'm sure he already knows who he is accepting ahead of time and unless you're utterly borderlined it won't change a thing -- let alone interrupting accidentally.[/quote]

Could not agree more; unless you're right on the bubble, you just need to be coherent and nothing disastrous will happen.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:52 pm

sayan wrote:i haven't heard back from JR and i have 75th percentile+ stats... HELP! was it my personal statement? maybe I didn't finish it off with a stronger sentence?

No, no, no. 10 days since submission? It was 3 weeks between my submission and my JR1, and I am also above both 75ths. Relax; you're going to get a JR1, and likely a JR2 unless you made a truly ghastly mistake.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:57 pm

managamy wrote:
sayan wrote:i haven't heard back from JR and i have 75th percentile+ stats... HELP! was it my personal statement? maybe I didn't finish it off with a stronger sentence?

No, no, no. 10 days since submission? It was 3 weeks between my submission and my JR1, and I am also above both 75ths. Relax; you're going to get a JR1, and likely a JR2 unless you made a truly ghastly mistake.

Pretty sure he was being facetious.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”