Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 pm

dudester wrote:I think HLS is going to send out acceptances/rejections/wait lists when they've made a final decision rather than later in the cycle like they've done before.

That whole 2 months thing we were promised has yet to come to fruition, though. People who applied 2.5 months ago in mid-September have not been rejected or WLed yet.

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:57 pm

J2ers--had anything recieved anything yet????? admissions binder, letter, anything? lol

Core

Postby Core » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 pm

crackberry wrote:
dudester wrote:I think HLS is going to send out acceptances/rejections/wait lists when they've made a final decision rather than later in the cycle like they've done before.

That whole 2 months thing we were promised has yet to come to fruition, though. People who applied 2.5 months ago in mid-September have not been rejected or WLed yet.

Sadly, I am still trolling this thread. No JR2 or anything yet.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Core wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Sadly, I am still trolling this thread. No JR2 or anything yet.

+1 my friend. +1.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:19 pm

mhopeful wrote:J2ers--had anything recieved anything yet????? admissions binder, letter, anything? lol

Do us all a favor, mhopeful, and carry out these kinds of discussions in the In at Harvard! thread, which I thankfully don't have on my "view your posts" list. Otherwise they will make me sad.

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:29 pm

So sorry crackberry--please forgive me--and dont give up hope!

lz06

Postby lz06 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:20 pm

I've been complete/UR since 9/30... It's been over two months. Harvard you lied to me.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Not sure if any of you have been following the URM cycle thread but I called HLS today to ask if they have an admissions couselor that specifically deals with under-represented candidates and the person said they did not have a specific minority recruiter but she would be happy to answer any questions I had.

HLS doesn't use an index, which many of your probably already knew. But I also asked about the logistics of the JR1. She said that JR1s can come in any order, as a file is reviewed multiple times over the course of the cycle so just because you've been complete for a weeks and haven't received a JR1 but others have, doesn't mean you won't get one. She also said that not every admitted applicant gets a JR1. Some are admitted outright. While I found this hard to believe, why would she lie?

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:51 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:She said that JR1s can come in any order, as a file is reviewed multiple times over the course of the cycle so just because you've been complete for a weeks and haven't received a JR1 but others have, doesn't mean you won't get one. She also said that not every admitted applicant gets a JR1. Some are admitted outright. While I found this hard to believe, why would she lie?

Hmm, the plot thickens...I still have hope... (Then again, judging by your behavior on the NYU thread, this may be bullshit...)

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:52 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Not sure if any of you have been following the URM cycle thread but I called HLS today to ask if they have an admissions couselor that specifically deals with under-represented candidates and the person said they did not have a specific minority recruiter but she would be happy to answer any questions I had.

HLS doesn't use an index, which many of your probably already knew. But I also asked about the logistics of the JR1. She said that JR1s can come in any order, as a file is reviewed multiple times over the course of the cycle so just because you've been complete for a weeks and haven't received a JR1 but others have, doesn't mean you won't get one. She also said that not every admitted applicant gets a JR1. Some are admitted outright. While I found this hard to believe, why would she lie?

I can verify this anecdotally for last year's cycle.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:53 pm

babaghanouj wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:She said that JR1s can come in any order, as a file is reviewed multiple times over the course of the cycle so just because you've been complete for a weeks and haven't received a JR1 but others have, doesn't mean you won't get one. She also said that not every admitted applicant gets a JR1. Some are admitted outright. While I found this hard to believe, why would she lie?

Hmm, the plot thickens...I still have hope... (Then again, judging by your behavior on the NYU thread, this may be bullshit...)

*scurries to NYU thread to look for drama*

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm

babaghanouj wrote:

Agreed, the NYU thing was in poor taste but I let on it was a joke after like 2 minutes.

But seriously, I did call today. I've been knee-deep trying to figure out how the evaluate URMs w/ TTT GPAs and high LSAT scores. Talking with BLSA members, profs, and finally decided to call the admissions office to see if they had a minority recruiter I could speak with. Any, it is what it is. I don't know why they would choose to interview someone w/ user T14 numbers but outright admit someone else. It's hard to have higher numbers than him, but again, why would she lie? Not like I gave my info or anything and was looking for false hope.

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm

puppins wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:

*scurries to NYU thread to look for drama*

:oops:

It's the week before finals here, I graduate in less than 2 weeks, and I tried to find something to do to help procrastinate.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:59 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:

Agreed, the NYU thing was in poor taste but I let on it was a joke after like 2 minutes.

But seriously, I did call today. I've been knee-deep trying to figure out how the evaluate URMs w/ TTT GPAs and high LSAT scores. Talking with BLSA members, profs, and finally decided to call the admissions office to see if they had a minority recruiter I could speak with. Any, it is what it is. I don't know why they would choose to interview someone w/ user T14 numbers but outright admit someone else. It's hard to have higher numbers than him, but again, why would she lie? Not like I gave my info or anything and was looking for false hope.

Interesting stuff...nice find

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:03 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: She also said that not every admitted applicant gets a JR1. Some are admitted outright.

really? link? i thought it was said over and over that the JR1 was necessary (but not sufficient) for acceptance.
has anyone this year so far been admitted without JR1?

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:05 pm

I've had all of my materials in since last Monday (11/23), and am still at "Application Received." Does it normally take a while to go Complete/Under Review, or should I call to confirm that they have everything?

Thanks!

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:I've had all of my materials in since last Monday (11/23), and am still at "Application Received." Does it normally take a while to go Complete/Under Review, or should I call to confirm that they have everything?

Thanks!

It takes a while. Relax.

fingerscrossed88

Out of the country?

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:34 pm

I just applied this past Saturday, 11/28, and realized I'll be out of the country from 12/15-12/24 without phone service. I don't really know what to expect or whether to expect a phone interview, but in the off chance that I did get a JR1, do you think that would be the timeframe? Should I let them know I won't be available or just reply to the email notifying me (should I even get one)?

gymboree

Re: Out of the country?

Postby gymboree » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:38 pm

fingerscrossed88 wrote:I just applied this past Saturday, 11/28, and realized I'll be out of the country from 12/15-12/24 without phone service. I don't really know what to expect or whether to expect a phone interview, but in the off chance that I did get a JR1, do you think that would be the timeframe? Should I let them know I won't be available or just reply to the email notifying me (should I even get one)?

cross that bridge when you come to it. making plans based on when you *might*, just *possibly* get a JR1 is silly.

fingerscrossed88

Postby fingerscrossed88 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Haha I know :( I figured, but I'm sure you can understand that I can't help but worry. I didn't know whether it was polite to inform Admissions when or if you were going to be unavailable for contact - not in the sense that "WHEN you give me my JR1, please do it when I'm in town, thanks!" but just as courtesy.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:19 pm

fingerscrossed88 wrote:I just applied this past Saturday, 11/28, and realized I'll be out of the country from 12/15-12/24 without phone service. I don't really know what to expect or whether to expect a phone interview, but in the off chance that I did get a JR1, do you think that would be the timeframe? Should I let them know I won't be available or just reply to the email notifying me (should I even get one)?

just reply to the JR1 email if you get it and I'm sure they won't mind rescheduling it

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:14 am

capitalacq wrote:

just reply to the JR1 email if you get it and I'm sure they won't mind rescheduling it

Yes, and rescheduling is not hard at all. You just get an automatic-looking response giving you a new time.

Edit: poor grammar.... I can't speak English anymore....

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:21 am

georgina wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: She also said that not every admitted applicant gets a JR1. Some are admitted outright.

really? link? i thought it was said over and over that the JR1 was necessary (but not sufficient) for acceptance.

This information directly contradicts what JR wrote for the Admissions Blog on the HLS site.

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 am

managamy wrote:
georgina wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

This information directly contradicts what JR wrote for the Admissions Blog on the HLS site.

+1

I can't believe there are people like me who are browsing this thread at this ungodly hour :lol:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 am

bluedolphins wrote:
+1

I can't believe there are people like me who are browsing this thread at this ungodly hour :lol:

2:30 AM isn't terribly ungodly; I pretty much sit on this forum for all of my waking hours, refreshing the page when I get a break from my work. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”