Page 72 of 293

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:11 am
by ConMan345
amidea wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm thinking only the best applicants (or maybe the most unusual? or a mix of both?) get in on the first go around of JR1s and it goes by UR order (I'm guessing we're up to 11/23 judging by evidence in this thread)

After that, he goes back and looks and the applications again and then sends out some more JR1s out of all the ones who didn't get it the first go around. Like on the admissions blog he calls at "a bite at the apple"

So, if you don't have a JR1 by now and you're before the 11/23 UR.. it's not that bad. It's definitely not good, but it's not the end of the world (or your Harvard cycle)

These are just my guesses.


I do hope you're right...


It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 am
by letsgojayhawks
clint4law wrote:Anyone else still under review since 11/3? I'm starting to lose hope and expect the rejection letter to come in shortly.


11/2. I didn't apply to Harvard with high hopes, but I wouldn't say I'm expecting the rejection letter to come immediately. It's the week after Thanksgiving, so based on the "two month" rule we should have another month.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:17 am
by sayan
ConMan345 wrote:
amidea wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm thinking only the best applicants (or maybe the most unusual? or a mix of both?) get in on the first go around of JR1s and it goes by UR order (I'm guessing we're up to 11/23 judging by evidence in this thread)

After that, he goes back and looks and the applications again and then sends out some more JR1s out of all the ones who didn't get it the first go around. Like on the admissions blog he calls at "a bite at the apple"

So, if you don't have a JR1 by now and you're before the 11/23 UR.. it's not that bad. It's definitely not good, but it's not the end of the world (or your Harvard cycle)

These are just my guesses.


I do hope you're right...


It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...


dang.. i thought being above 75th in both and great softs = easy accept. now I'm worried :(

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:21 am
by ConMan345
sayan wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
amidea wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm thinking only the best applicants (or maybe the most unusual? or a mix of both?) get in on the first go around of JR1s and it goes by UR order (I'm guessing we're up to 11/23 judging by evidence in this thread)

After that, he goes back and looks and the applications again and then sends out some more JR1s out of all the ones who didn't get it the first go around. Like on the admissions blog he calls at "a bite at the apple"

So, if you don't have a JR1 by now and you're before the 11/23 UR.. it's not that bad. It's definitely not good, but it's not the end of the world (or your Harvard cycle)

These are just my guesses.


I do hope you're right...


It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...


dang.. i thought being above 75th in both and great softs = easy accept. now I'm worried :(


I think the takeaway message is that the ease of your acceptance isn't necessarily proportional to the speed at which you're accepted/rejected. Obviously, it helps, but it's not the rule/a reason for constant handwringing.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 am
by Nom Sawyer
letsgojayhawks wrote:
clint4law wrote:Anyone else still under review since 11/3? I'm starting to lose hope and expect the rejection letter to come in shortly.


11/2. I didn't apply to Harvard with high hopes, but I wouldn't say I'm expecting the rejection letter to come immediately. It's the week after Thanksgiving, so based on the "two month" rule we should have another month.


wow.. your literally using the exact avatar that I had before this one....

since it was so fitting for my name of course.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 am
by letsgojayhawks
SolarWind wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:
clint4law wrote:Anyone else still under review since 11/3? I'm starting to lose hope and expect the rejection letter to come in shortly.


11/2. I didn't apply to Harvard with high hopes, but I wouldn't say I'm expecting the rejection letter to come immediately. It's the week after Thanksgiving, so based on the "two month" rule we should have another month.


wow.. your literally using the exact avatar that I had before this one....

since it was so fitting for my name of course.


I am?? I thought I had the only aurora borealis avatar...dang.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:26 am
by amidea
ConMan345 wrote:
amidea wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I'm thinking only the best applicants (or maybe the most unusual? or a mix of both?) get in on the first go around of JR1s and it goes by UR order (I'm guessing we're up to 11/23 judging by evidence in this thread)

After that, he goes back and looks and the applications again and then sends out some more JR1s out of all the ones who didn't get it the first go around. Like on the admissions blog he calls at "a bite at the apple"

So, if you don't have a JR1 by now and you're before the 11/23 UR.. it's not that bad. It's definitely not good, but it's not the end of the world (or your Harvard cycle)

These are just my guesses.


I do hope you're right...


It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...


What this means for me: I will keep holding on for dear life until I get that rejection letter, even if three months have gone by and I hear not a peep from HLS. Whether or not I will stay sane is TBD.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:36 am
by JollyGreenGiant
ConMan345 wrote:It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...


Probably true. Which sucks because I'd like a JR1 before December scores come back. :(

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:58 am
by superberry
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...


Probably true. Which sucks because I'd like a JR1 before December scores come back. :(


The worst is when people who submitted a month after you, with stats AND softs at or lower than your level receive JR1 and 2...makes you think you've messed up something horribly, will be similarly rejected by all other schools, will die lonely, alone and poor, or all of the above.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 am
by superberry
Double post.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 am
by forza
superberry wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:It seems like it follows the usual pattern: auto admits first, then a big crowd of maybes goes off to faculty/admissions committee review. This would explain why it seems to come in waves and why the waves overlap (exceptional applicants hear back before "maybe" applicants who applied earlier). If you look on LSN, some people who applied in early November got good news in January (TS1/TS2). If you want to throw yet another wrench in the works, I had a friend last year with stellar numbers (both above 75th) and great softs who waited much longer than others.

Take it for what you will...


Probably true. Which sucks because I'd like a JR1 before December scores come back. :(


The worst is when people who submitted a month after you, with stats AND softs at or lower than your level...makes you think you've messed up something horribly, will be similarly rejected by all other schools, will die lonely, alone and poor, or all of the above.


This sums it up, right 'chere.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:00 am
by somewhatwayward
Probably true. Which sucks because I'd like a JR1 before December scores come back.


are you taking the dec lsat? they are probably waiting for the score to make a decision. that was one of the reasons i decided not to retake in dec.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:18 am
by Jackie O
letsgojayhawks wrote:
SolarWind wrote:
letsgojayhawks wrote:
clint4law wrote:Anyone else still under review since 11/3? I'm starting to lose hope and expect the rejection letter to come in shortly.


11/2. I didn't apply to Harvard with high hopes, but I wouldn't say I'm expecting the rejection letter to come immediately. It's the week after Thanksgiving, so based on the "two month" rule we should have another month.


wow.. your literally using the exact avatar that I had before this one....

since it was so fitting for my name of course.


I am?? I thought I had the only aurora borealis avatar...dang.


Yeah, I always think you're SolarWind when you post hah

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:44 am
by pulpfree
Just had my JR1. wow. I was really nervous. JR was nice but sounded like he was in a hurry. About 7 min.
Fingers super crossed. 8)

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am
by natalie123
Just had my JR1 also. Talked just a little about what I'd done since college, then talked more about Why Harvard and I talked with him about his experiences at Harvard and what a nontraditional student might expect. I was nervous, of course. Just over 10 minutes.

he told me we'd hear by mid-January... this doesn't coincide with the 2nd calls many have been getting... ????

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am
by puppleberry finn
forza wrote:
superberry wrote:The worst is when people who submitted a month after you, with stats AND softs at or lower than your level...makes you think you've messed up something horribly, will be similarly rejected by all other schools, will die lonely, alone and poor, or all of the above.


This sums it up, right 'chere.


awww, it's like you just wrote the thoughts before I even had a chance to. <3 you guys.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 pm
by The Dan
Just had my JR1. I was a nervous wreck, and I think it showed, but I also think I got my message across. He asked about my extracurriculars and then the standard why law and why Harvard Law. 7 minutes.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:35 pm
by sneakersboy11
.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 pm
by somewhatwayward
The worst is when people who submitted a month after you, with stats AND softs at or lower than your level...makes you think you've messed up something horribly, will be similarly rejected by all other schools, will die lonely, alone and poor, or all of the above.


but how often do you know all of someone's softs and the context of their application?

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 pm
by nattybro
natalie123 wrote:Just had my JR1 also. Talked just a little about what I'd done since college, then talked more about Why Harvard and I talked with him about his experiences at Harvard and what a nontraditional student might expect. I was nervous, of course. Just over 10 minutes.

he told me we'd hear by mid-January... this doesn't coincide with the 2nd calls many have been getting... ????


Probably just being conservative. If they tell people to expect a decision by Christmas but then don't deliver, they'll be fielding tons of calls from panicked applicants. Better to say January and then send it earlier than promised.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:27 pm
by Nom Sawyer
nattybro wrote:
natalie123 wrote:Just had my JR1 also. Talked just a little about what I'd done since college, then talked more about Why Harvard and I talked with him about his experiences at Harvard and what a nontraditional student might expect. I was nervous, of course. Just over 10 minutes.

he told me we'd hear by mid-January... this doesn't coincide with the 2nd calls many have been getting... ????


Probably just being conservative. If they tell people to expect a decision by Christmas but then don't deliver, they'll be fielding tons of calls from panicked applicants. Better to say January and then send it earlier than promised.


Yeah they are very conservative when you ask them this question. During my call he said, "you'll hear back probably in 4-6 weeks" which made me panic a bit. Then I heard back in 6 days...

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 pm
by LDC
At the risk of asking something that's been answered: I went UR on 12/1. If I get a JR1 call, should it be within a week or so? Is there a timeline that anyone has been able to discern for those calls? (I submitted on 11/17.)

Thanks very much!

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:11 pm
by Emma.
LDC wrote:At the risk of asking something that's been answered: I went UR on 12/1. If I get a JR1 call, should it be within a week or so? Is there a timeline that anyone has been able to discern for those calls? (I submitted on 11/17.)

Thanks very much!


If you are going to get a JR1 you'll get an email to schedule a time. Some people get the email pretty quick after going UR, even before a complete notification. Others ( :oops: ) go complete and wait for weeks before hearing, if they hear at all.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:25 pm
by 02082010
I submitted 11/20 and I'm still at app received. Anyone else in the same boat? It's been 12 days. If you discount the Thanksgiving holiday it has still be a week. Most people seem to have gone under review w/in a week.

Re: Harvard 2010!

Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:31 pm
by nattybro
hopefulundergrad wrote:I submitted 11/20 and I'm still at app received. Anyone else in the same boat? It's been 12 days. If you discount the Thanksgiving holiday it has still be a week. Most people seem to have gone under review w/in a week.


I submitted 11/19 - still at app received. The LSAC "reports" page says to allow 8-10 business days for the report to arrive. I just counted and it's only been five business days. Poster LDC (above) submitted on the 17th and went under review yesterday, so you and I should probably be just a few days behind.