Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgina

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:23 pm

SolarWind wrote:Well.. considering schools like Columbia currently have accepted 0 students.. seems quite high to me haha... I'm not complaining tho :wink:

oh yea... harvard does move frighteningly quickly. eek. and yes, you do have nothing to complain about! haha. congrats :)

PoorOrpheus

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:56 pm

All quiet on the Harvard front...

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 pm

It looks like at least some of the folks that sent in their applications between mid-November and Thanksgiving last year heard back by mid-December - so hopefully, there will be more interviews/acceptances soon!

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:27 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:It looks like at least some of the folks that sent in their applications between mid-November and Thanksgiving last year heard back by mid-December - so hopefully, there will be more interviews/acceptances soon!

Hoping you're right... Although I submitted a week ago and haven't gotten my status checker yet. Damn you Thanksgiving :evil:

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Looks like I'm dead in the water. But they know I'm retaking the LSAT. If I do well, do you think there's the chance I'll be reconsidered? :|

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:40 pm

GeePee wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:It looks like at least some of the folks that sent in their applications between mid-November and Thanksgiving last year heard back by mid-December - so hopefully, there will be more interviews/acceptances soon!

Damn you Thanksgiving :evil:

+1. I'm still at app received because of that holiday. We can at least hope for a mid-December JR1.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:44 pm

CordeliusX wrote:Looks like I'm dead in the water. But they know I'm retaking the LSAT. If I do well, do you think there's the chance I'll be reconsidered? :|

if they know you're retaking, they are probably holding your app until the results of the retake come through, which could mean a long wait

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:45 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:Looks like I'm dead in the water. But they know I'm retaking the LSAT. If I do well, do you think there's the chance I'll be reconsidered? :|

if they know you're retaking, they are probably holding your app until the results of the retake come through, which could mean a long wait

Do you think if I signed up for a retake, I could convince myself that Harvard was just waiting for the results of that? Because that would definitely be preferable to feeling like I am just going to be rejected.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Hopefully a rash of JR1s come this week.

lawschoolkrr

Postby lawschoolkrr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Wait a sec...This makes it sound a bit like everyone gets a JR1. That's not the case, is it? I have a 171/3.96 and was hoping* I'd get a JR1, but by no means expecting one.[/quote]

I have VERY similar stats (slightly better) and have gotten JR2 already. I'm willing to bet you'll get a JR1/JR2 :)

My undergrad is very well-known and competitive though, and the fact that JR previously worked at a management consulting firm might have helped me a bit. Also, I spent about 4 months writing my personal statement... I have done 59+ drafts :) Bottom line: you have a great chance if you've done everything you can to make your application complete.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:26 pm

lawschoolkrr wrote:Also, I spent about 4 months writing my personal statement... I have done 59+ drafts :) Bottom line: you have a great chance if you've done everything you can to make your application complete.

:shock: Please explain how that is possible... do you mean minor edits here and there or that you would keep re-writing bits over and over?

I just can't see how 2 pages can be edited that many times :?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:28 pm

CordeliusX wrote:
lawschoolkrr wrote:Also, I spent about 4 months writing my personal statement... I have done 59+ drafts :) Bottom line: you have a great chance if you've done everything you can to make your application complete.

:shock: Please explain how that is possible... do you mean minor edits here and there or that you would keep re-writing bits over and over?

See? That's why you haven't gotten a JR2.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm

I am under review as of this morning. Panic time!

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:54 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I am under review as of this morning. Panic time!

When did you send in your application / go "Complete" ?

Thanks!

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:00 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:I am under review as of this morning. Panic time!

When did you send in your application / go "Complete" ?

Thanks!

Sent 11/15. My status was "app received" until this morning. No "complete" status (yet).

hopin10

Postby hopin10 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:12 pm

lawschoolkrr wrote:My undergrad is very well-known and competitive though, and the fact that JR previously worked at a management consulting firm might have helped me a bit. Also, I spent about 4 months writing my personal statement... I have done 59+ drafts :) Bottom line: you have a great chance if you've done everything you can to make your application complete.

Hmm. I'm not connecting the dots here. Why might that have helped you? Did you work at Bain (or BCG/McKinsey), as well?

sonja b

Postby sonja b » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:20 pm

RE: the December LSAT, here is a nice blog post regarding how HLS handles it that helped me decide whether to even re-take:

--LinkRemoved--

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:26 pm

JR2s have started coming in, but the world of JR1s keeps on turning. I just got off the phone with JR. 6:58. I feel like I sounded so nervous, probably because I was. He also seemed like he couldn't wait to get off the phone, but I'm hoping that's because he was busy and not because he's not planning on admitting me. I know I'm not the only person with a JR1 today, so good luck everyone!

sonja b

Postby sonja b » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Looking at LSN from last year, if JR follows the exact timing as TS (which he has so far) there will be silence on JR2s this week, a flood of calls next Monday and then a trickle until just before Christmas.

pulpfree

Postby pulpfree » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:46 pm

driveshaft wrote:JR2s have started coming in, but the world of JR1s keeps on turning. I just got off the phone with JR. 6:58. I feel like I sounded so nervous, probably because I was. He also seemed like he couldn't wait to get off the phone, but I'm hoping that's because he was busy and not because he's not planning on admitting me. I know I'm not the only person with a JR1 today, so good luck everyone!

I'm having my JR1 this wednesday, hoping not to sound like a total idiot. What did he ask?

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:21 pm

pulpfree wrote:
driveshaft wrote:JR2s have started coming in, but the world of JR1s keeps on turning. I just got off the phone with JR. 6:58. I feel like I sounded so nervous, probably because I was. He also seemed like he couldn't wait to get off the phone, but I'm hoping that's because he was busy and not because he's not planning on admitting me. I know I'm not the only person with a JR1 today, so good luck everyone!

I'm having my JR1 this wednesday, hoping not to sound like a total idiot. What did he ask?

Exactly what he said he would. There were four questions. What are you doing right now? Why's law school the next right step for you? Why HLS? Do you have any questions for me?

It's funny because it's casual, easy, and informal which makes it low pressure, but the stakes couldn't be higher which makes it high pressure. The JR1 is an odd feeling.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:48 pm

lawschoolkrr wrote:Wait a sec...This makes it sound a bit like everyone gets a JR1. That's not the case, is it? I have a 171/3.96 and was hoping* I'd get a JR1, but by no means expecting one.

I have VERY similar stats (slightly better) and have gotten JR2 already. I'm willing to bet you'll get a JR1/JR2 :)

My undergrad is very well-known and competitive though, and the fact that JR previously worked at a management consulting firm might have helped me a bit. Also, I spent about 4 months writing my personal statement... I have done 59+ drafts :) Bottom line: you have a great chance if you've done everything you can to make your application complete.

I think there was a larger emphasis on undergrad quality (in the first round of JR2s admissions) which wasn't just limited to the usual HYP undergrad boost. A girl at my school (top 20 private) who got a JR2 already said she was quite surprised given her numbers that she was accepted already... granted I don't know what she had, but it does seem like the fact that her GPA was from a tougher school (also we have a lower gpa avg, but not sure if this is applicable) was a boost.

lawschoolkrr

Postby lawschoolkrr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:18 pm

CordeliusX wrote:

you are right. i kept re-writing bits over and over again. at one point, i abandoned the entire draft cuz I came up with a better topic. but i don't think i overworked it. i've heard of many people (even here on TLS) who spent months on their ps.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:24 pm

lawschoolkrr wrote:
CordeliusX wrote:

you are right. i kept re-writing bits over and over again. at one point, i abandoned the entire draft cuz I came up with a better topic. but i don't think i overworked it. i've heard of many people (even here on TLS) who spent months on their ps.

id assume 59 drafts would take months :P

i personally spent about a month casually working on mine, going through probably 5-6 drafts. the differences, imo, were huge. i cant imagine what 59 would look like haha.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:03 pm

went complete 11/19 and no JR1 yet....is it safe to say that my rejection letter will be coming soon? LSAT below 25th percentile, GPA above 75th percentile.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”