Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
socdep

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby socdep » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:37 pm

.....likely for continued JR2s on Monday?

...hoping...thx

SprangTyme

Postby SprangTyme » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Question to the JR2ers, in all the excitement, I didn't catch what he said about the packet in the mail. Did he say to expect one soon? Or that there wouldn't be one? Or what? I was running laps (I had a huge burst of energy when he called and didn't know how to channel it) in my living room while talking to him and didn't catch that info.

And congrats to everyone! And everyone else shouldn't give up hope, I remember following the forum last year and I remember a LOT of people getting in through the year, even a substantial number from the wait list.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Can those who submitted mid-November-ish expect JR1s prior to Xmas?

It seems that all the (qualified) Sept/Oct people already got their JR1s.

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:07 pm

haha--i have the same exact question to j2ers!!! I was not paying attention to his logistical talk---are we receiving a packet in the mail or just by email? And i saw on my status that they gave me a harvard email account but how and where do i access it? lol

T14

Postby T14 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:16 pm

mhopeful wrote:haha--i have the same exact question to j2ers!!! I was not paying attention to his logistical talk---are we receiving a packet in the mail or just by email? And i saw on my status that they gave me a harvard email account but how and where do i access it? lol

https://mymail.law.harvard.edu/

login: jdoe.jd13
pass: LSAC acct number (including the L)

the email address is jdoe @jd13.law.harvard.edu

Edit: as for the packet... I think he said something is coming in the mail but the major info, i.e. the binder, will be online this year

bluedolphins

Postby bluedolphins » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:27 pm

T14 wrote:
mhopeful wrote:haha--i have the same exact question to j2ers!!! I was not paying attention to his logistical talk---are we receiving a packet in the mail or just by email? And i saw on my status that they gave me a harvard email account but how and where do i access it? lol

https://mymail.law.harvard.edu/

login: jdoe.jd13
pass: LSAC acct number (including the L)

the email address is jdoe @jd13.law.harvard.edu

Edit: as for the packet... I think he said something is coming in the mail but the major info, i.e. the binder, will be online this year

So we won't be getting a huge binder this year? I was kind of looking forward to that :oops:
Last edited by bluedolphins on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:28 pm

thanks so much!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:55 pm

mhopeful wrote:thanks so much!

+1. I didn't know how to make it work until now.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58 pm

I know I'm being annoying, but...

hopefulundergrad wrote:Can those who submitted mid-November-ish expect JR1s prior to Xmas?

It seems that all the (qualified) Sept/Oct people already got their JR1s.

I didn't follow the HLS thread last year and some of you all seem so well versed in the trends that it'd be easier asking than looking it up myself.

zamd006

Postby zamd006 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:16 pm

It seems more than reasonable to expect a JR1 before december (provided you have the qualifications.) I think if you are an auto-admit it should take 2 weeks or less, borderline cadidates - a month or so....At least thats how it panned out in November from what I could tell. My JR1 took 14 days from the day I went under review.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:19 pm

zamd006 wrote:It seems more than reasonable to expect a JR1 before december (provided you have the qualifications.) I think if you are an auto-admit it should take 2 weeks or less, borderline cadidates - a month or so....At least thats how it panned out in November from what I could tell. My JR1 took 14 days from the day I went under review.

I submitted 11/20 (bad timing due to the recent holiday) and am still at "app received." I suspect I will go under review sometime this week w/ a JR1 (if it's coming, most likely not) sometime mid-December. I applied ED to Chicago and most of my eggs are in that basket. I'm just curious.

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm

Ok, J2ers, so i got on the email account, but don't see any binders or admissions information in my email there. Have any of you received this already?
Thanks!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm

zamd006 wrote:It seems more than reasonable to expect a JR1 before december (provided you have the qualifications.) I think if you are an auto-admit it should take 2 weeks or less, borderline cadidates - a month or so....At least thats how it panned out in November from what I could tell. My JR1 took 14 days from the day I went under review.

Seconded; a Sept-Oct applicant should probably get a JR1 by Thanksgiving and a November applicant by Christmas. An 11/20 application, though, might be on the brink of a January JR1, considering the long holiday.

My JR1 took 4 days whereas others took as much as 3 weeks, so there is some variety.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:21 pm

mhopeful wrote:Ok, J2ers, so i got on the email account, but don't see any binders or admissions information in my email there. Have any of you received this already?
Thanks!

No, nothing but a "terms of use"-type email.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 am

i realize it's really early to be asking this question, but i want to give myself plenty of time to get my ducks in a row if need be (the longass LOR process in particular comes to mind). harvard is far and away my #1 so i want to make sure i do everything i can

my understanding is that a LOCI is standard procedure, but i have no idea as to the timing/content that would be appropriate for this. is this something that only should be done after being waitlisted, or is it ok to send one in sooner than that?

also, in terms of content, is the following basically what i should be doing/including?
- brief letter saying i'm still very interested in HLS, thank you for your consideration, etc
- updated transcript with fall semester courses
- additional (3rd) LOR

should i not bother with any of this stuff until/unless i get waitlisted in the spring? or should i think about doing it in a month or so when i get my fall grades? fwiw i applied in september and had JR1 in november

thanks
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:26 am

GargamelITT wrote:
should i not bother with any of this stuff until/unless i get waitlisted in the spring? or should i think about doing it in a month or so when i get my fall grades? fwiw i applied in september and had JR1 in november

thanks

I don't want to discourage you, but JR told me that once you have the interview there is basically nothing you can do afterwards to strengthen your application. (I asked him this specific question after the interview, and he practically LOL'ed at me.) The Committee supposedly does not seriously evaluate anything extra in the first round of decisions. So it's a waste of time and possibly an irritant to send them anything until you are informed that you have been wait-listed.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:34 am

thanks, makes sense. i'll wait on the letter. i'm under the impression, though, that i'm still supposed to send updated transcripts to LSAC as soon as they're available, is that right or should i hold off on that also?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:36 am

GargamelITT wrote:thanks, makes sense. i'll wait on the letter. i'm under the impression, though, that i'm still supposed to send updated transcripts to LSAC as soon as they're available, is that right or should i hold off on that also?

That's quite right! I happened to ask him that specific question during the interview as well, and he specifically said that they wanted updated transcripts regardless of decision status.

How fortunate that I asked him your questions in advance! 8) :lol:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:39 am

Of course, you can still go ahead and start working on the letter, if you seriously suspect that you'll be wait-listed. Thus, you could have plenty of time to think about it while being able to send it soon after you're notified. You would look both more enthusiastic than the people who send later and more polished than the people who rush something off.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 pm

so out of curiosity, I just spent a few minutes on LSN counting up the acceptance list from last cycle and this year's list so far. last year's tally comes to 158, which out of ~830 total acceptances comes to about 19%. so if we assume roughly 19% representation on LSN of HLS acceptances, we can make better sense of this year's total so far.

this year shows 53 acceptances, so if we make all the necessary assumptions (and yes, there are a bunch of them) that goes to something like 280 admits so far. if that's true it means HLS has filled its admit quota about 1/3rd already.

obviously there's plenty of margin for error here, but it seems like it's worth thinking about anyway

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:51 pm

aside from asking whether the popularity of LSN has grown or shrunk, you'd also have to ask whether LSN overrepresents the pre-thanksgiving admits. lots of questions about how reliable the sample is, but still seems interesting to me

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:51 pm

GargamelITT wrote:so out of curiosity, I just spent a few minutes on LSN counting up the acceptance list from last cycle and this year's list so far. last year's tally comes to 158, which out of ~830 total acceptances comes to about 19%. so if we assume roughly 19% representation on LSN of HLS acceptances, we can make better sense of this year's total so far.

this year shows 53 acceptances, so if we make all the necessary assumptions (and yes, there are a bunch of them) that goes to something like 280 admits so far. if that's true it means HLS has filled its admit quota about 1/3rd already.

obviously there's plenty of margin for error here, but it seems like it's worth thinking about anyway

Seems like 1/5 ~ 1/4 of representation of TLS/ LSN for Harvard admits seems about right. I know of at least 2 other people at my university that have HLS acceptances so far and in talking to them it seems pretty clear they don't post/ add data on these sites. Also, given the spacing of the calls that seems about right. I'm surprised that Harvard fills so much of its quota so early tho.

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:03 pm

managamy wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:thanks, makes sense. i'll wait on the letter. i'm under the impression, though, that i'm still supposed to send updated transcripts to LSAC as soon as they're available, is that right or should i hold off on that also?

That's quite right! I happened to ask him that specific question during the interview as well, and he specifically said that they wanted updated transcripts regardless of decision status.

How fortunate that I asked him your questions in advance! 8) :lol:

So... are they going to take away my acceptance when they see that I've spent NO time studying for finals because i got into Harvard already? :P

georgina

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:15 pm

GargamelITT wrote: if that's true it means HLS has filled its admit quota about 1/3rd already.

SolarWind wrote: I'm surprised that Harvard fills so much of its quota so early tho.

1/3 doesn't seem so high; it makes sense in the context of what JR said about getting decisions out earlier. it seems like these thanksgiving admits represent people who submitted in september (granted, half of it) and october. the last apps come in in january. i don't know the relative popularity of months for submitting apps, but it seems reasonable that 1/3 of apps are in by the end of october?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:17 pm

georgina wrote:
GargamelITT wrote: if that's true it means HLS has filled its admit quota about 1/3rd already.

SolarWind wrote: I'm surprised that Harvard fills so much of its quota so early tho.

1/3 doesn't seem so high; it makes sense in the context of what JR said about getting decisions out earlier. it seems like these thanksgiving admits represent people who submitted in september (granted, half of it) and october. the last apps come in in january. i don't know the relative popularity of months for submitting apps, but it seems reasonable that 1/3 of apps are in by the end of october?

Well.. considering schools like Columbia currently have accepted 0 students.. seems quite high to me haha... I'm not complaining tho :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”