Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:05 am

Core wrote:Anyone know if the admissions office/JR is even open/working tomorrow?

I'm pretty sure that JR is going to go through tomorrow with a sign hanging around his neck saying "Closed for Holiday."

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:06 am

I'd put the chances of the admissions office operating tomorrow at less than the chances of the giants scoring 3 touchdowns in the last 5 minutes :evil:

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:10 am

exeunt wrote:also interested in an mba and planning on applying next year :P does anyone know if it's a bit easier to get in then as opposed to applying jd/mba right off?

I'd imagine that there's a slight boost, but not enough to make up for a lack of good work experience

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:31 am

puppins wrote:
amidea wrote:So has anyone who got the complete email on on 11/19 gotten a JR1 yet? It depresses me slightly that people who applied later than me are getting JR1s but not me. Not that I was expecting one, but I'm starting to lose hope...

Yeah people who submitted almost a month after me getting JR1s kind of makes me move between losing hope and hating harvard for putting me through this.

Agreed :(

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:41 am

if an MBA is important to your career goals, i would not risk applying during 1L. HBS's admission criteria is very different from HLS, and there is no guarantee of an admit even with a sky-high gmat score.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:45 am

HBS will take a dump down your throat without work experience!

be forewarned!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:46 am

rejectmaster wrote:HBS will take a dump down your throat without work experience!

be forewarned!

Given your username, I believe you.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:49 am

hmm lets start a seperate jd/mba thread so we don't interfere with the HLS love-fest going on here, its probably quite distracting to those not interested in an mba :P

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:50 am

englawyer wrote:hmm lets start a seperate jd/mba thread so we don't interfere with the HLS love-fest going on here, its probably quite distracting to those not interested in an mba :P

+1. The topic could certainly use its own thread.

Core

Postby Core » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:56 am

englawyer wrote:hmm lets start a seperate jd/mba thread so we don't interfere with the HLS love-fest going on here, its probably quite distracting to those not interested in an mba :P

Or the no-JR2 anxiety fest.

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:05 am

Anyone considering applying for a joint degree with harvard kennedy school? We could start a threat for that too

barca

Postby barca » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:21 am

sorry to interrupt the JR2 anxiety fest haha....but guys I was wondering, what does JR actually do for the 5-10 minutes of the JR1? Does everyone get the similar routine, or does he bring up specific parts of your resume and ask individual questions? Those of you already w/ JR1s and 2s, I would greatly appreciate your help!!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:49 am

barca wrote:sorry to interrupt the JR2 anxiety fest haha....but guys I was wondering, what does JR actually do for the 5-10 minutes of the JR1? Does everyone get the similar routine, or does he bring up specific parts of your resume and ask individual questions? Those of you already w/ JR1s and 2s, I would greatly appreciate your help!!

He wanted to specifically discuss the psychology lab internship that I listed on my resume and under work experience on my application. Also, he asked for details about my honors thesis. Be prepared to explain in further depth any activity that you have listed on your resume or application.

JR will ask you if you have any questions for him at the end of the conversation. I asked him about his own experience at HLS, which seemed to strike a positive chord with him. He was more than willling to tell me about the clinics in which he participated.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:28 pm

barca wrote:sorry to interrupt the JR2 anxiety fest haha....but guys I was wondering, what does JR actually do for the 5-10 minutes of the JR1? Does everyone get the similar routine, or does he bring up specific parts of your resume and ask individual questions? Those of you already w/ JR1s and 2s, I would greatly appreciate your help!!

Everyone seems to get a similar routine (a question about what you've been up to/something you mentioned in your app, why law school, why harvard, and what questions do you have about HLS). However, as managamy said, you should be prepared to talk about anything on your application. For me, he didn't ask about anything that I did not bring up during the call.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:38 pm

mhopeful wrote:Anyone considering applying for a joint degree with harvard kennedy school? We could start a threat for that too

You get your JR2 yet mhopeful?

Edit: and what about you, lz06, baiailian, gargamel, janer and core? We're all in this boat together.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:05 pm

hope everyone had a warm and happy thanksgiving. personally, i'm forgoing the carnage outside today and staying in to watch some football

crackberry, mhopeful got his JR2 monday IIRC. i don't think anyone else on that list has, at least not that they've mentioned in this thread. i'm under the impression that monday has been the only JR2 day this week, with the exception of someone in this thread who was several time zones away getting one on tuesday

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:08 pm

GargamelITT wrote:hope everyone had a warm and happy thanksgiving. personally, i'm forgoing the carnage outside today and staying in to watch some football

crackberry, mhopeful got his JR2 monday IIRC. i don't think anyone else on that list has, at least not that they've mentioned in this thread. i'm under the impression that monday has been the only JR2 day this week, with the exception of someone in this thread who was several time zones away getting one on tuesday

Cool that's what I thought. Looks like the next two Mondays (11/30 and 12/7) are potential JR2 days, if past years are any indication. Let's hope we're all in one of those batches.

Congrats, mhopeful. With your LSAT score, I knew there was no way they could resist you.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:55 pm

managamy wrote:

He wanted to specifically discuss the psychology lab internship that I listed on my resume and under work experience on my application. Also, he asked for details about my honors thesis. Be prepared to explain in further depth any activity that you have listed on your resume or application.

JR will ask you if you have any questions for him at the end of the conversation.
I asked him about his own experience at HLS, which seemed to strike a positive chord with him. He was more than willling to tell me about the clinics in which he participated.

for all i know, i could have written the bolded, it's so similar :P

Core

Postby Core » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
mhopeful wrote:Anyone considering applying for a joint degree with harvard kennedy school? We could start a threat for that too

You get your JR2 yet mhopeful?

Edit: and what about you, lz06, baiailian, gargamel, janer and core? We're all in this boat together.

I haven't gotten a JR2. If/when I do, I'll post some erratic message about it, one you'll be unable to miss.
During my JR1, he asked me what I was up to now (I mentioned finishing up my majors and continuing my work with a number of organizations, and he didn't inquire further), why I wanted to pursue law, and why Harvard is a good match for me. To the second question, I mentioned, among a multitude of other things, my interest in public interest law, and he chimed in about HLS's impressive commitment to PI. He seemed pleased that I expressed interest in pursuing PI and he became much more talkative at this point. He concluded by asking me if I had any questions about the school, and I asked one about the atmosphere, which led to him telling me about his experience at HLS and how it is nothing like what's seen in Legally Blonde or The Paper Chase. The interview lasted for just over 5 minutes. Hope this helps.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:49 pm

nothing for me either, I will for sure let TLS know asap if I do haha. Thanksgiving was so annoying, my dad told my family about my JR1 so everyone was asking me about Harvard nonstop... leave me alooooone I got into other great schools but no one seems to notice and it just added to my disappointment :( oh well hopefully we'll all be in the next batch..

exeunt

Postby exeunt » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:51 pm

englawyer wrote:if an MBA is important to your career goals, i would not risk applying during 1L. HBS's admission criteria is very different from HLS, and there is no guarantee of an admit even with a sky-high gmat score.

i was under the impression you didn't need to take the gmat if you applied as a 1L? i think they said they would look at your lsat score... just curious, bc i know for md/mba, you're basically in if you apply the first year of med school regardless of WE.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:08 pm

lz06 wrote:nothing for me either, I will for sure let TLS know asap if I do haha. Thanksgiving was so annoying, my dad told my family about my JR1 so everyone was asking me about Harvard nonstop... leave me alooooone I got into other great schools but no one seems to notice and it just added to my disappointment :( oh well hopefully we'll all be in the next batch..

yeah this is the worst. i made the mistake of telling my parents i got the JR1 and that historically the majority of people getting those get in. i was asked a whole bunch about when i'm gonna hear back, when i'm gonna get in, etc. i probably should have downplayed the JR1 to my parents (or not told them at all) so that it wouldn't get built up into a big deal that i was "probably going to get into harvard!!!" makes it a bit tougher to take when everyone keeps reminding you about it

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Crackberry--thanks so much for your good wishes--it means a lot---dont give up hope!!!!!!! I know that may future acceptances will go out and I am sending hopeful thoughts your way! :-)

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:13 pm

nattybro wrote:That sounds like a really quick turnaround from Submitted to Under Review. Anyone else go under review only 2 days after submitting? I guess all I can really draw from this thread is that there's no sense trying to estimate when I might start hoping to hear about a JR1. The timing seems to differ so much between applicants.

I submitted on 11/17 and it's not under review yet :( How depressing.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:45 pm

crackberry wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:hope everyone had a warm and happy thanksgiving. personally, i'm forgoing the carnage outside today and staying in to watch some football

Cool that's what I thought. Looks like the next two Mondays (11/30 and 12/7) are potential JR2 days, if past years are any indication. Let's hope we're all in one of those batches.

Congrats, mhopeful. With your LSAT score, I knew there was no way they could resist you.

Crackberry why do you say that this monday is a potential JR2 day? I thought last year on LSN the next batch wasn't until 12/8 or something

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”