Harvard 2010!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby TheWire » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm really sorry to pop in and ask questions that others in the forum have clearly already asked...but hear it goes anyways:

with a 171 and gpa between 3.7-3.8, what are the chances of receiving a JR1?

If you do receive a JR1, is it a factor that can outweigh certain other elements of your application (i.e. less than spectacular lsat and gpa)?

I would really enjoy an opportunity to swing for the fences in an interview...

Thanks for input!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:47 pm

TheWire wrote:I'm really sorry to pop in and ask questions that others in the forum have clearly already asked...but hear it goes anyways:

with a 171 and gpa between 3.7-3.8, what are the chances of receiving a JR1?

If you do receive a JR1, is it a factor that can outweigh certain other elements of your application (i.e. less than spectacular lsat and gpa)?

I would really enjoy an opportunity to swing for the fences in an interview...

Thanks for input!


if you're URM or have something else very, very compelling on your app (some amazing soft, maybe fulbright scholar or peace corps for a few yrs or TFA maybe, iunno) then 3.7-3.8 and 171 in very good running for a JR1 and JR2 (though the softs i listed are all < URM status in how it'd benefit you).

if not, i would say VERY low chance of getting either (obviously JR1 chance ever so slightly > JR2 chance).

JR1 isnt some soft factor lol, it is a necessary component of the application process for HLS for those that get in. if your LSAT and GPA are not what they are looking for BUT you get a JR1, i think it matters more than for most other applicants w/ solid GPA/LSAT, where JR1's almost feel like he's just trying to see if you're competent.

emptybee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emptybee » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:49 pm

TheWire wrote:I would really enjoy an opportunity to swing for the fences in an interview...



The JR1 isn't really an opportunity to "swing for the fences," it's more to show you can string a couple of sentences together and/or are not a psychotic introvert. Judging by the number of people who get JR2's after getting JR1's (~800/1100) and the content of the interview itself (short softball questions), it's unlikely that the JR1 has a *huge* impact on admissions. It seems that a post-JR1 WL is likely the result of the faculty committee disliking something in your app and not the JR1 itself (unless, of course, you were a psychotic introvert in the interview).

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby TheWire » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:51 pm

thanks for the incredibly quick responses guys!

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:09 pm

emptybee wrote:
TheWire wrote:I would really enjoy an opportunity to swing for the fences in an interview...



The JR1 isn't really an opportunity to "swing for the fences," it's more to show you can string a couple of sentences together and/or are not a psychotic introvert. Judging by the number of people who get JR2's after getting JR1's (~800/1100) and the content of the interview itself (short softball questions), it's unlikely that the JR1 has a *huge* impact on admissions. It seems that a post-JR1 WL is likely the result of the faculty committee disliking something in your app and not the JR1 itself (unless, of course, you were a psychotic introvert in the interview).


Exactly, the most intimidating thing about the interview is how little he seems to expect from you.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:17 pm

This is relevant to no one but me, but I thought I'd share anyway. I'm flying from California to New York tomorrow and will be on the plane from 10:15 A.M. EST - 4:00 P.M. EST, thus missing a possible JR2 (or a call from Berkeley for that matter). This is not at all interesting in itself, but I'm flying Virgin America and I guess Google is providing free internet to passengers on all Virgin flights between now and Jan. 15, so I will no doubt be checking TLS and seeing if JR2s do, in fact, start coming in tomorrow. If so, this could be the longest flight of my life.

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Lysis » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:25 pm

crackberry wrote:This is relevant to no one but me, but I thought I'd share anyway. I'm flying from California to New York tomorrow and will be on the plane from 10:15 A.M. EST - 4:00 P.M. EST, thus missing a possible JR2 (or a call from Berkeley for that matter). This is not at all interesting in itself, but I'm flying Virgin America and I guess Google is providing free internet to passengers on all Virgin flights between now and Jan. 15, so I will no doubt be checking TLS and seeing if JR2s do, in fact, start coming in tomorrow. If so, this could be the longest flight of my life.


Open a Skype account, get a number, forward your regular phone to your new internet phone, PROFIT?

Or, you know, take a nap. :)

emptybee
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby emptybee » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Lysis wrote:Or, you know, take a nap.



Given the possibility of a JR2, no one in their right mind would do this :wink:

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:33 pm

crackberry wrote:This is relevant to no one but me, but I thought I'd share anyway. I'm flying from California to New York tomorrow and will be on the plane from 10:15 A.M. EST - 4:00 P.M. EST, thus missing a possible JR2 (or a call from Berkeley for that matter). This is not at all interesting in itself, but I'm flying Virgin America and I guess Google is providing free internet to passengers on all Virgin flights between now and Jan. 15, so I will no doubt be checking TLS and seeing if JR2s do, in fact, start coming in tomorrow. If so, this could be the longest flight of my life.


You'd better hope that he doesn't change his mind if you don't pick up... :shock:

(Just kidding, I'm sure everything will be fine. But I can't say that I envy you.)

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:37 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:This is relevant to no one but me, but I thought I'd share anyway. I'm flying from California to New York tomorrow and will be on the plane from 10:15 A.M. EST - 4:00 P.M. EST, thus missing a possible JR2 (or a call from Berkeley for that matter). This is not at all interesting in itself, but I'm flying Virgin America and I guess Google is providing free internet to passengers on all Virgin flights between now and Jan. 15, so I will no doubt be checking TLS and seeing if JR2s do, in fact, start coming in tomorrow. If so, this could be the longest flight of my life.


You'd better hope that he doesn't change his mind if you don't pick up... :shock:

(Just kidding, I'm sure everything will be fine. But I can't say that I envy you.)

This is clearly something I've had nightmares about.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:39 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:This is relevant to no one but me, but I thought I'd share anyway. I'm flying from California to New York tomorrow and will be on the plane from 10:15 A.M. EST - 4:00 P.M. EST, thus missing a possible JR2 (or a call from Berkeley for that matter). This is not at all interesting in itself, but I'm flying Virgin America and I guess Google is providing free internet to passengers on all Virgin flights between now and Jan. 15, so I will no doubt be checking TLS and seeing if JR2s do, in fact, start coming in tomorrow. If so, this could be the longest flight of my life.


You'd better hope that he doesn't change his mind if you don't pick up... :shock:

(Just kidding, I'm sure everything will be fine. But I can't say that I envy you.)

This is clearly something I've had nightmares about.


Me too. I live 3 time-change hours west of him and don't get up particularly early.

On the one hand, I slept through the UCLA call and returned it 2 hours later without disaster. On the other hand, that's UCLA.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm

managamy wrote:Me too. I live 3 time-change hours west of him and don't get up particularly early.

On the one hand, I slept through the UCLA call and returned it 2 hours later without disaster. On the other hand, that's UCLA.

Yeah but JR knows you're on the West Coast. As in he probably calls West Coast interviewees/admits after all the East Coast people.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:55 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Me too. I live 3 time-change hours west of him and don't get up particularly early.

On the one hand, I slept through the UCLA call and returned it 2 hours later without disaster. On the other hand, that's UCLA.

Yeah but JR knows you're on the West Coast. As in he probably calls West Coast interviewees/admits after all the East Coast people.


That's a calming thought, except for the fact that he scheduled my JR1 at 9 AM Pacific Time.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby crackberry » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:58 pm

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Me too. I live 3 time-change hours west of him and don't get up particularly early.

On the one hand, I slept through the UCLA call and returned it 2 hours later without disaster. On the other hand, that's UCLA.

Yeah but JR knows you're on the West Coast. As in he probably calls West Coast interviewees/admits after all the East Coast people.


That's a calming thought, except for the fact that he scheduled my JR1 at 9 AM Pacific Time.

Haha yeah that's only "early" in college.

Shadyb
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Shadyb » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:15 pm

If you don't pick up, he'll leave a message telling you that you got in. I didn't pick up for that very reason...so I could play the acceptance again and again!

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Shadyb wrote:If you don't pick up, he'll leave a message telling you that you got in. I didn't pick up for that very reason...so I could play the acceptance again and again!


Thanks for the information! I take it that you're a 1L at HLS this year?

The UCLA Dean said just to call him back, leaving me in suspense until I rang back, gave him my name, listened to him shuffle papers for endless seconds, and then finally heard him say "Oh right, you're in."

SouthernElle
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:50 am

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby SouthernElle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 pm

Shadyb wrote:If you don't pick up, he'll leave a message telling you that you got in. I didn't pick up for that very reason...so I could play the acceptance again and again!


I played my TS2 message for anyone who would listen until I accidentally deleted it, lol. By then I had the binder though, so I had other proof.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:55 pm

managamy wrote:
Shadyb wrote:If you don't pick up, he'll leave a message telling you that you got in. I didn't pick up for that very reason...so I could play the acceptance again and again!


Thanks for the information! I take it that you're a 1L at HLS this year?

The UCLA Dean said just to call him back, leaving me in suspense until I rang back, gave him my name, listened to him shuffle papers for endless seconds, and then finally heard him say "Oh right, you're in."


that is so anti-climatic...major points off for presentation.

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 pm

ylc wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:
ylc wrote:I don't see why not...

Sept 15 - Nov 5 applicants: 300 offers
Nov 6 - Jan 1 applicants, plus holdovers from earlier pool: 350 offers
Jan 1 - deadline, plus holdovers: 180 offers



Well, first of all HLS admits ~830/yr. But, more importantly, the data seems to suggest that a very large percentage of applciants applies on or after Jan 1st, so I doubt they'd reserve only 180 acceptances for that group.



I think my numbers add up to 830?

Also, are you referring to that LSAC graph? (or wherever it came from?) I think those statistics are for law school applications as a whole. I assume, though of course this is just speculation, that at top schools the percentage of people who apply after January 1 is far smaller. And, with rolling admissions, the percentage admitted after January 1 is probably also smaller.


Wow, sorry my bad with the math :oops:

And yes, I definitely do see your point about the very top schools having a slightly (or perhaps substantially) different application timeline (i.e. applicants at these schools generally do probably submit their apps earlier than applicants at lower ranked schools).

amidea
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby amidea » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:59 am

letsgojayhawks wrote:Have any non-urms gotten a JR1 with GPA < 3.6?


Yes, at least one has that I know of.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby soullesswonder » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:15 am

*Looks at clock, notes official start of Thanksgiving week, cranks Neurotic Meter up to 11*

HowardRoark
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby HowardRoark » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:41 am

Is this it? The next 24 hours?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:44 am

HowardRoark wrote:Is this it? The next 24 hours?


Well, there might be some action between now and Wednesday, according to evidence from previous years. But I'm not going to raise my hopes too high, in case they're flattened by a non-event.

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby TheLuckyOne » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:19 am

cciti65 wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Because I'm a sad individual stuck at home with the flu, I've taken my own personal obsessive compulsive habits to the next level and gone through all of the posts on this thread, as well as the Harvard Phone Interview stats thread, and the URM board. Have found 66 (give or take a couple) unique references to JR1s being conducted or planned. Not sure if this is useful information at all, but it does throw into question my previous assumption that TLS represents about 10% of the total applicant population. No way they have conducted 660 phone interviews this early in the cycle, even if they are increasing the number of interviews they are giving out.

Do what you will with the info. Hopefully it will provide comfort to some (though at this point I suppose only JR2s can do that) ...



Where did you get that number? Mine is only 59 (I was only searching this thread though).


I also looked through the URM threads and counted references people made to friends who had JR1s. May not be 100% accurate.


URM threads :idea:

Shadyb
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Re: Harvard 2010!

Postby Shadyb » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:51 am

managamy wrote:
Shadyb wrote:If you don't pick up, he'll leave a message telling you that you got in. I didn't pick up for that very reason...so I could play the acceptance again and again!


Thanks for the information! I take it that you're a 1L at HLS this year?

The UCLA Dean said just to call him back, leaving me in suspense until I rang back, gave him my name, listened to him shuffle papers for endless seconds, and then finally heard him say "Oh right, you're in."


Yeah, I'm a 1L at HLS. I got my TS2 the day before Thanksgiving, so I know how you guys feel. If you think you're stressed now, wait until tomorrow (hopefully! I have no inside information!!) when people are reporting their JR2s on TLS and you haven't gotten one yet! Don't worry though, getting an interview this early in the cycle is a really, really good sign. I tried to convince JR only to interview people who would be accepted, but he refused, lol. Best of luck!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AFtoLawschool, dala77, Fantasyfreak294, Google [Bot], jdanz, jtawil, lillawyer2, nahmjun, nightie, Rich Uncle Skeleton, SilverSurfer2020, studyingeveryday and 36 guests