Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unitas

Silver

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by Unitas » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:25 am

amidea wrote: Kakarot, I will teach you how to ice skate! Think Harvard will accept me as a skating coach?
You should send an addendum adding that. Because the entering class of 2010 will have an ice rink if I am there. Even if I have to go outside with hoses and make it myself. I do wonder the total cost of it? It would bring back such fond memories for me. We tried to have one where I live, but it wasn't the same.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/about/campus.html
We could argue false advertising... :) Seriously though I agree that between jobs and an ice rink they should choose to keep the jobs. However that doesn't mean students can't get an ice rink.

It brings so much love:
http://jeremyblachman.blogspot.com/2004 ... t-day.html

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:54 pm

NeuroticallyYours wrote:Congrats Crackberry! You'll probably get a JR2 as well.
Thank you, NY. We'll see about the JR2, but honestly at this point it's pretty meaningless. I find it hard to imagine myself picking HLS over SLS.

agathon360

New

Post by agathon360 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:41 pm

Is there any consensus about whether the time between Application Under Review and receipt of the JR1 email suggests anything about one's likelihood of receiving a JR2?

E.g. if one receives a JR1 email within 1 week of going under review, does this augur a more promising outcome than if one receives a JR1 email several weeks or a month after?

Or am I overthinking this, and there is no correlation?

zamd006

New

Post by zamd006 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:53 pm

agathon360 wrote:Is there any consensus about whether the time between Application Under Review and receipt of the JR1 email suggests anything about one's likelihood of receiving a JR2?

E.g. if one receives a JR1 email within 1 week of going under review, does this augur a more promising outcome than if one receives a JR1 email several weeks or a month after?

Or am I overthinking this, and there is no correlation?
There may just be a correlation. Some of the people with the strongest numbers got their JR1's extremely quickly at the beginning of November. I know that doesn't prove anything, but from what I saw it seemed to signal a pattern. The quicker your JR1, the better your chances it seems to me.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
NeuroticallyYours wrote:Congrats Crackberry! You'll probably get a JR2 as well.
Thank you, NY. We'll see about the JR2, but honestly at this point it's pretty meaningless. I find it hard to imagine myself picking HLS over SLS.
JR: "Congratulations, crackberry. We've reserved a spot for you in the Class of 2013!"

CB: "Uh, thanks for the offer, man, but I'm not really interested. I've got other plans."

JR: "Really??!! How can you not take advantage of the wonderful opportunities at this unique and internationally renowned institution?"

CB: "Well, I appreciate the honor, of course. But I didn't notice any sunbathing opportunities listed on your website. Sorry, but I've got to go now; I'm getting call-interrupting from Palo Alto Pizza."

***click***

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Hahaha.... hey there's nothing wrong with SLS > HLS.

zamd006

New

Post by zamd006 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:32 am

Last edited by zamd006 on Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:33 am

zamd006 wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Hahaha.... hey there's nothing wrong with SLS > HLS.
Yes there is, because HLS owns SLS. I, for one, appreciate Harvard not for the name but for the student culture and specific things about the university.

The only reason Stanford and Yale happen to be more "holistic" is because they are so much smaller. I am happy to go to a "large" Law school and take advantage of all the resources and connections I can make there.

I love you Harvard, I wish you accepted only those who loved you for who you are and not your name. See you in August my future alma mater.
+1 on that comment. I don't see why small size is so often cited as an advantage; both large and small schools have pros and cons.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:43 am

managamy wrote:+1 on that comment. I don't see why small size is so often cited as an advantage; both large and small schools have pros and cons.
supply and demand. yale JD are far and few between, and thus of a higher "value". most people in the know understand that a yale admit is damn hard to come by.

although i would personally choose HLS, anyway 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:53 am

englawyer wrote:
managamy wrote:+1 on that comment. I don't see why small size is so often cited as an advantage; both large and small schools have pros and cons.
supply and demand. yale JD are far and few between, and thus of a higher "value". most people in the know understand that a yale admit is damn hard to come by.

USC JDs are almost as few and far between as Yale JDs, but they're not of a higher "value" than HLS JDs. It can't be quite so simple.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:55 am

i was talking about specifically YLS vs HLS

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 am

managamy wrote:
englawyer wrote:

USC JDs are almost as few and far between as Yale JDs, but they're not of a higher "value" than HLS JDs. It can't be quite so simple.

zamd006

New

Post by zamd006 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58 am

englawyer wrote:

Once you're in the top 3 (and you do well) then you are set. The only benefit, career wise, about Yale is the clerkship opportunities. Other than that a degree from YLS, HLS, SLS is basically equal. So you need to look for other things like connections, alumni base, location (Boston) things that will make you happy. I happen to think Harvard, and its large size, is great. It gives you more opportunities, especially in International Law, than any other school. It has been said before that Yale has a 10 for some things, and then 8s in others, but Harvard has 9's for everything (and a 10 in some fields [international law]). If I wanted to get a clerkship I guess Yale might be better. But don't forget YLS and HLS put the same number of clerks out there, it's only percentage wise that YLS owns because of it's small size. So I do not see a clear advantage in going to Yale.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:02 am

managamy wrote:
englawyer wrote:

lol while true, it's really about combining both factors. it is a YALE degree that also happens to be fewer in number. thus if you get in, you have a greater % of attaining x. but the small class size of yale is really used as a pro argument, not some definitive thing. like you said, it has its advantages, but a large class size has advantages too. most importantly i think it just comes down to what ppl want. if i got into yale, id still pick harvard every day of the week and twice on sunday.

zamd006

New

Post by zamd006 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:09 am

DoubleChecks wrote: most importantly i think it just comes down to what ppl want. if i got into yale, id still pick harvard every day of the week and twice on sunday.
+1000000000000.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 am

still not UR even after almost 3 weeks... here I was hoping for a JR1 before xmas...

driveshaft

New

Post by driveshaft » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:11 am

DoubleChecks wrote:if i got into yale, id still pick harvard every day of the week and twice on sunday.
For real.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:31 am

driveshaft wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:if i got into yale, id still pick harvard every day of the week and twice on sunday.
For real.
Oh yeah.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:51 am

Celibidache wrote:
driveshaft wrote:
For real.
Oh yeah.
hear, hear

fidesverita

Bronze

Post by fidesverita » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:29 am

zamd006 wrote:
Yes there is, because HLS owns SLS. I, for one, appreciate Harvard not for the name but for the student culture and specific things about the university.

The only reason Stanford and Yale happen to be more "holistic" is because they are so much smaller. I am happy to go to a "large" Law school and take advantage of all the resources and connections I can make there.

I love you Harvard, I wish you accepted only those who loved you for who you are and not your name. See you in August my future alma mater.

Well I, for one, appreciate Stanford not for the name but for the student culture and specific things about the university.

But let's not fight, darling.

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:47 am

fidesverita wrote:
zamd006 wrote:

Well I, for one, appreciate Stanford not for the name but for the student culture and specific things about the university.

But let's not fight, darling.
Fidesverita are you retaking the LSAT yet?? Cause you really should :wink: :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:54 am

man, so all you auto-admits are gonna turn down Y for H? gotta say, i was sorta counting on all the 3.9+/175+s to pick S and Y so a mere mortal like myself would have a shot at HLS :wink:

no but really

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:18 pm

GargamelITT wrote:man, so all you auto-admits are gonna turn down Y for H? gotta say, i was sorta counting on all the 3.9+/175+s to pick S and Y so a mere mortal like myself would have a shot at HLS :wink:

no but really
haha yea seriously

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:48 pm

driveshaft wrote:
For real.
Clearly this isn't the only thing that matters — and as someone else said earlier, when it comes down to HYS, it's really all about personal preference — but I have a good family friend who is a partner at Cravath and was heavily involved in hiring new associates for a number of years and he told me that Cravath would much rather take a YLS grad than a HLS grad. In fact, he said they'd rather take a median YLS grad than a Top 10% HLS grad, which surprised me. He did also say that they don't often get YLS (or SLS) grads because the kids that go to YLS (and SLS) aren't as focused on BigLaw as those at HLS and therefore self-select into the schools.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:52 pm

crackberry wrote: Clearly this isn't the only thing that matters — and as someone else said earlier, when it comes down to HYS, it's really all about personal preference — but I have a good family friend who is a partner at Cravath and was heavily involved in hiring new associates for a number of years and he told me that Cravath would much rather take a YLS grad than a HLS grad. In fact, he said they'd rather take a median YLS grad than a Top 10% HLS grad, which surprised me. He did also say that they don't often get YLS (or SLS) grads because the kids that go to YLS (and SLS) aren't as focused on BigLaw as those at HLS and therefore self-select into the schools.
something similar was said in the book double billing, about a HLS grad's path into and during biglaw (author was a HLS grad). you can get the same jobs, but the YLS degree is very prized

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”