Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
democrattotheend

Bronze

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:16 am

chi16 wrote:UR since 2/24. No JR1. Absolutely nothing since receiving an e-mail a few days after my status changed to let me know (as I knew already) that i was under review.

I'm screwed, right?
I'm in a similar situation. I figure even though I did not get a hold e-mail, I am essentially being held because my #'s are borderline. I will probably either get rejected in the next couple weeks or waitlisted...hoping for the waitlist.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am

They also blocked a lot of the comments on HLS in Focus (yes, I am a dork and read it), I wonder why?

Hmm... Strange... I bet a lot of rejections come out Thursday and Friday. Maybe just Friday.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 am

Unitas wrote:They also blocked a lot of the comments on HLS in Focus (yes, I am a dork and read it), I wonder why?

Hmm... Strange... I bet a lot of rejections come out Thursday and Friday. Maybe just Friday.
I think it generally follows that pattern, but there was a random Monday (last week of March) that saw some rejections, and last Friday was apparently rejection-free.

edit: and the HLS in Focus thing seems weird because I can't see actual applicants going on the HLS blog and making rude comments that need to be blocked for any reason, and I can't see anyone other than applicants actually reading it...

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 am

blue5385 wrote:
Unitas wrote:They also blocked a lot of the comments on HLS in Focus (yes, I am a dork and read it), I wonder why?

I think it generally follows that pattern, but there was a random Monday (last week of March) that saw some rejections, and last Friday was apparently rejection-free.

edit: and the HLS in Focus thing seems weird because I can't see actual applicants going on the HLS blog and making rude comments that need to be blocked for any reason, and I can't see anyone other than applicants actually reading it...
Well they also have to approve comments, so maybe they just got tired of it? When you post a comment it doesn't appear until someone there approves it to appear. Dead giveaway I posted on there...

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:55 am

Hey guys. Had the JR1. Super short (<6 min). Didn't even ask me the "what have you been doing lately" question, just why LS, why HLS, and what I plan on doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am

invisiblesun wrote:Hey guys. Had the JR1. Super short (<6 min). Didn't even ask me the "what have you been doing lately" question, just why LS, why HLS, and what I plan on doing.
Hope you get admitted, in the past the length of the call didn't determine acceptances. Did he give you any sory of timeline or indication when you would hear back?

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 pm

invisiblesun wrote:Hey guys. Had the JR1. Super short (<6 min). Didn't even ask me the "what have you been doing lately" question, just why LS, why HLS, and what I plan on doing.
Congrats! Must be a load off your mind to have it over and done with. :) How do you think it went?

As for the shortness- I wonder if they're really feeling the pressure as the deposit deadline approaches. Did JR sound rushed?

gatordude94

New

Post by gatordude94 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

Congrats on having it behind you, sounds like it went well. That sounds about right length-wise, I think other folks had far shorter ones. Given how late in the cycle this is, I think you have a very, very, strong chance of hearing from JR again soon. Best of luck.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

So, did he mention a young lady who uses the handle blue5385 on TLS he was planning on calling anytime soon? :wink:

Seriously though, grats on your JR1, hope you get the next phone call soon!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Unitas wrote:
Hope you get admitted, in the past the length of the call didn't determine acceptances. Did he give you any sory of timeline or indication when you would hear back?
Very vague- "within the next couple of weeks." He did, however, ask me where Harvard ranks in my preferences, to which I replied that I would attend if admitted, and he said "that's helpful to know"... which I think is a good sign... (?)
ToriM wrote:
Congrats! Must be a load off your mind to have it over and done with. :) How do you think it went?

As for the shortness- I wonder if they're really feeling the pressure as the deposit deadline approaches. Did JR sound rushed?
Really don't know it went...wish I had recorded it so that I know how stupid/rushed my statements were. As far as the shortness, part of it was the omitted "what have you been doing lately" and part of it was that during my first response I spoke very quickly (I think due to nervousness). JR did not sound rushed, but he didn't really ask any clarifying questions or ask me to expand on any of my statements.

I don't feel like it's a load off- I think that I'll probably be a little nervous until I get something more definite.
Last edited by invisiblesun on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:55 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Very vague- "within the next couple of weeks." He did, however, ask me where Harvard ranks in my preferences, to which I replied that I would attend if admitted, and he said "that's helpful to know"... which I think is a good sign... (?)
ToriM wrote:

Really don't know it went...wish I had recorded it so that I know how stupid/rushed my statements were. As far as the shortness, part of it was the omitted "what have you been doing lately" and part of it was that during my first response I spoke very quickly (I think due to nervousness). JR did not sound rush, but he didn't really ask any clarifying questions or ask me to clarify on any of my statements.

I don't feel like it's a load off- I think that I'll probably be a little nervous until I get something more definite.
oh congrats on the JR1! best of luck to you -- hope you get a JR2 soon

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Congrats on the JR1, Invisiblesun, I can't believe you considered our numbers similar. Good luck!

I wonder if JR somehow found out that now not only are the ACL and meniscus in my left knee torn from rugby, but I pulled the hamstring in my right leg a few days ago and am now actually using the ligament-torn knee as my good knee. If he knows this he's probably doubting my viability for the Harvard Business School Rugby Club. Don't worry, JR, I'll get surgery this summer and be in decent shape again by the time I'm in law school!

I hope Harvard is relatively handicap accessible though. My college right now has more stairs than an M.C. Escher piece.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 pm

CoaltoNewCastle wrote:I wonder if JR somehow found out that now not only are the ACL and meniscus in my left knee torn from rugby, but I pulled the hamstring in my right leg a few days ago and am now actually using the ligament-torn knee as my good knee. If he knows this he's probably doubting my viability for the Harvard Business School Rugby Club. Don't worry, JR, I'll get surgery this summer and be in decent shape again by the time I'm in law school!
Haha I've been through that before, good luck!

I just got my ding e-mail. About time. :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:11 pm

los blancos wrote:Haha I've been through that before, good luck!

Sorry, losblancos. :( Held first?

Note: I immediately went to my Gmail with a pounding heart as soon as I read your post. Nothing there, but I've officially cracked.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 pm

blue5385 wrote:

Note: I immediately went to my Gmail with a pounding heart as soon as I read your post. Nothing there, but I've officially cracked.
Nice. I wonder how much the JR1 plays a part in the admissions decision...considering that applicants who have been around this long are likely borderline, maybe the role is larger than usual in my case? Also, I know everyone says it's little more than a "psycho screen" but with 1100 calls for 800 acceptances, I'm guessing there's something else they're looking for...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:24 pm

invisiblesun wrote: Nice. I wonder how much the JR1 plays a part in the admissions decision...considering that applicants who have been around this long are likely borderline, maybe the role is larger than usual in my case? Also, I know everyone says it's little more than a "psycho screen" but with 1100 calls for 800 acceptances, I'm guessing there's something else they're looking for...
Making sure that you wrote your PS and you don't go on babbling about Yale and Stanford?

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Another rejection reported today on LSN (3.7/159/URM):

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/patience13

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 pm

invisiblesun wrote: Nice. I wonder how much the JR1 plays a part in the admissions decision...considering that applicants who have been around this long are likely borderline, maybe the role is larger than usual in my case? Also, I know everyone says it's little more than a "psycho screen" but with 1100 calls for 800 acceptances, I'm guessing there's something else they're looking for...
Haha, I actually talked to JR at the admitted students weekend about this (and some other things). He said that he has a pretty solid idea of what his decision is going to be before the interview. It's really just to see that you can be professional enough to have coherent answers to his questions. The impression he gave is that it's kind of pass/fail, with 95% passing and the other five percent having big red flags. He actually said that someone responded to his question, "Why HLS?," with "I don't know," and nothing else. That's a no-no.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Making sure that you wrote your PS and you don't go on babbling about Yale and Stanford?
What insight would they get on your PS? Any stammering/stupidity can be attributed to nerves. With 300 people getting JR1s and ending up denied/waitlisted, there is probably another factor that they look for... either or not all candidates go into the JR1 with a real chance of acceptance...
ConMan345 wrote:Haha, I actually talked to JR at the admitted students weekend about this (and some other things). He said that he has a pretty solid idea of what his decision is going to be before the interview. It's really just to see that you can be professional enough to have coherent answers to his questions. The impression he gave is that it's kind of pass/fail, with 95% passing and the other five percent having big red flags. He actually said that someone responded to his question, "Why HLS?," with "I don't know," and nothing else. That's a no-no.
That's funny. I hope my responses were coherent (I think most of them were, but I did answer his first question at light-speed). In that case, if 95% of people "pass", this means that even if all the JR1s who don't get in are "fails", there are still ~250 JR1 candidates who passed but don't get accepted. If this is the case, why JR1 people who you are unlikely to accept?

gatordude94

New

Post by gatordude94 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:40 pm

Condolences los blancos but it looks like you have great options.

JR could really cover all the admissions bases today with some JR2s...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:41 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
Haha, I actually talked to JR at the admitted students weekend about this (and some other things). He said that he has a pretty solid idea of what his decision is going to be before the interview. It's really just to see that you can be professional enough to have coherent answers to his questions. The impression he gave is that it's kind of pass/fail, with 95% passing and the other five percent having big red flags. He actually said that someone responded to his question, "Why HLS?," with "I don't know," and nothing else. That's a no-no.
300/1100 is a bit more than 5%, so that makes me think he goes into some interviews already knowing he's not going to take the person. Why string them along, then?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

blue5385 wrote:

Nope, straight ding. Applied in early/mid-Jan, went UR early February. Don't know what took them so long, all parties concerned knew I'm not Hahvahd material. :mrgreen:
gatordude94 wrote:Condolences los blancos but it looks like you have great options.
Eh, my cycle has been absolutely brutal given my #s. Thank God for Duke. 8)
Last edited by los blancos on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

invisiblesun

Bronze

Post by invisiblesun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

blue5385 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
300/1100 is a bit more than 5%, so that makes me think he goes into some interviews already knowing he's not going to take the person. Why string them along, then?
Dude, there had been some new posts made since you had last viewed the thread. You may have wanted to review your post in light of them.

portena

Bronze

Post by portena » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:44 pm

blue5385 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Yes, why, JR, why?? :cry:

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:45 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Dude, there had been some new posts made since you had last viewed the thread. You may have wanted to review your post in light of them.
Hey thanks TLS automated notification system!

(That option actually didn't come up for me when I hit submit even in light of your new post...weird, cause it usually works.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”