Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
georgina

Bronze

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by georgina » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:16 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Wow. I'm surprised at the expectations/sense of entitlement ITT. My numbers aren't too shabby either, but I'm not demanding/expecting anything at this point--even an interview. But I guess each person knows his/her own application best...
i don't think anyone in this thread is demanding/expecting anything... "we're plenty competitive to not have to stress about the interviews yet" does not sound like entitlement to me. it kind of sounds like 2 people allaying each other's possible stress/worries.

anyway, +1 getting the complete email. good to hear people with good stats also got the email, as i'm pretty worried about being a splitter. i <3 HLS!

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Meh, I was mainly referring to the earlier (and now edited) post consisting of "I'd better get an interview--my impressive numbers are X and X." I mean, we all know HLS is a numbers school, but I was a little surprised at the lack of deference for the h-bomb.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm not really expecting an interview. I figure it's a coin toss. Who knows.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:26 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Meh, I was mainly referring to the earlier (and now edited) post consisting of "I'd better get an interview--my impressive numbers are X and X." I mean, we all know HLS is a numbers school, but I was a little surprised at the lack of deference for the h-bomb.
haha sry i can see why that sentence may be read in a more negative light. it wasnt so much a demand but rather like when someone says oh man i better get so and so in a manner to boost their own confidence that it would happen. like oh man i better have gotten that question right on the test! i worked so hard at it and thought i figured it out!. so sry, irl i did not say (think) it in a 'demanding' tone...mm hard to describe in words w/o the inflections lol. online post fail :P

also, keep in mind that in no way is an interview 'stage 2' of the app process. its merely another part that some applicants (and all that are admitted) get. i do not feel like i am an auto admit to HLS...it would be my DREAM to get in and every day i hope i get a shot at it, but at the same time, i also believe im competitive enough where they would be seriously considering me (albeit i may eventually not make the cut)...to at least interview me and have that evaluative portion to attach to my app.

so demand? far from it lol, i think you unfairly represented the latter half of my comment and its intentions w/ the misquote.

triplecats

New

Post by triplecats » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Under review. Also under their medians, but nonetheless, I am joining your party, friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 am

Man, I had no idea the admissions process for Harvard was so involved, with this many chances for speculation. In any case, count me in for the party, though Harvard's a weak consider for me on LSP. I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:02 am

I don't trust LSP ever since it said I have a 76% chance at Stanford (apparently I'm an "admit"). Everywhere else is a coin toss or less, and I refuse to be optimistic.

Welcome to the funhouse.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 am

VoidSix wrote:I don't trust LSP ever since it said I have a 76% chance at Stanford (apparently I'm an "admit"). Everywhere else is a coin toss or less, and I refuse to be optimistic.

Welcome to the funhouse.
by everywhere else, do you mean everywhere else in HYS? lol, i dont see how HY could be a coin toss and CCN or MVBP being a coin toss as well

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:08 am

Last edited by joshikousei on Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hmar78

New

Post by hmar78 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:14 am

Is it just me or does Rocketman11 have the bestess avatar ever????

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:26 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I don't trust LSP ever since it said I have a 76% chance at Stanford (apparently I'm an "admit"). Everywhere else is a coin toss or less, and I refuse to be optimistic.

Welcome to the funhouse.
by everywhere else, do you mean everywhere else in HYS? lol, i dont see how HY could be a coin toss and CCN or MVBP being a coin toss as well
By everywhere else I meant other prediction websites. Aren't Hourumd and LSP supposedly both based on LSN data? Because on LSP, I'm 54% Harvard, 76% Stanford, and on Hourumd, the numbers are essentially reversed. Very odd. Anyway, GOD BLESS US, EVERY ONE!

Good luck, all.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:41 am

hmar78 wrote:Is it just me or does Rocketman11 have the bestess avatar ever????
Actually I think you should qualify that it's the best that this site will allow. I have better ones but they get censored :)

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:16 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Meh, I was mainly referring to the earlier (and now edited) post consisting of "I'd better get an interview--my impressive numbers are X and X." I mean, we all know HLS is a numbers school, but I was a little surprised at the lack of deference for the h-bomb.
haha sry i can see why that sentence may be read in a more negative light. it wasnt so much a demand but rather like when someone says oh man i better get so and so in a manner to boost their own confidence that it would happen. like oh man i better have gotten that question right on the test! i worked so hard at it and thought i figured it out!. so sry, irl i did not say (think) it in a 'demanding' tone...mm hard to describe in words w/o the inflections lol. online post fail :P

also, keep in mind that in no way is an interview 'stage 2' of the app process. its merely another part that some applicants (and all that are admitted) get. i do not feel like i am an auto admit to HLS...it would be my DREAM to get in and every day i hope i get a shot at it, but at the same time, i also believe im competitive enough where they would be seriously considering me (albeit i may eventually not make the cut)...to at least interview me and have that evaluative portion to attach to my app.

so demand? far from it lol, i think you unfairly represented the latter half of my comment and its intentions w/ the misquote.
Ah, I see where you're coming from. As for the misquote, I was paraphrasing from memory given the edit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:48 pm

DoubleChecks wrote: i also believe im competitive enough where they would be seriously considering me (albeit i may eventually not make the cut)...to at least interview me and have that evaluative portion to attach to my app.
for what it's worth, getting interviewed probably shouldn't be considered an "at least" kind of thing. getting interviewed is awesome. statistically, it means you're likely to get in.

hasn't it historically been the case that something like 80% of interviewees are accepted?

eire1013

New

Post by eire1013 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:53 pm

my school also does not disclose, so i left it blank. it's harvard....this isn't the biggest concern for them

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:49 am

Here's hoping they like my LSAT score. Submitted my app a couple days ago.

eire1013

New

Post by eire1013 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Welcome to the funhouse.

the % given by lsp has nothing to do with percent chance of acceptance, but everyone seems to think so. all it means is the percentage of current students whose number are belowe your own (which itself is a decent indicator of application strength. lsp offers no % chance, just the "accept, consider, deny, etc." categories

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:46 pm

eire1013 wrote:

Welcome to the funhouse.

the % given by lsp has nothing to do with percent chance of acceptance, but everyone seems to think so. all it means is the percentage of current students whose number are belowe your own (which itself is a decent indicator of application strength. lsp offers no % chance, just the "accept, consider, deny, etc." categories
I understand how the system works, and I think it's flawed, because YC DOES consider that to be a chance of admission. That's why he has it set to say "Consider / Strong Consider / Admit."

Edit: That is not a knock against YC. I think he's awesome, and LSP is as good as it gets. But inherently, predicting whether or not someone will get into law school is an impossible task.
Last edited by Kronk on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:49 pm

GargamelITT wrote:for what it's worth, getting interviewed probably shouldn't be considered an "at least" kind of thing. getting interviewed is awesome. statistically, it means you're likely to get in.

hasn't it historically been the case that something like 80% of interviewees are accepted?
haha half the days i think this way, and the other half i dwell on the big chunk (300/1100 ish) that do NOT get in :P, and i cant help but wonder sometimes which group i would fall into.

everyone goes in w/ a level of confidence attached to their app, and for me, i am really hoping to have 'at least' an interview. i guess it is more of my way of saying, hey look, consolation prize! haha

i know everyone (or almost everyone) who is applying to harvard really hopes to make it in, w/ some thinking optimistically and others pessimistically, and in the end, some will be right and others will be wrong. i just want to approach it w/ a certain level of confidence and hope that, regardless of the final decision, my confidence will remain intact lol.

so once again, best of luck to you all!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:16 pm

VoidSix wrote:
eire1013 wrote:

Welcome to the funhouse.

I understand how the system works, and I think it's flawed, because YC DOES consider that to be a chance of admission. That's why he has it set to say "Consider / Strong Consider / Admit."
i asked him about that when he had his "open chat hours" several days ago on LSP, and he told me the % should not be viewed as chance of admission, but instead like the above poster said just a general "indicator of app strength" relative to the pool that ultimately goes to that school.

2 main reasons why it isn't a straight up % chance:

- the percentage figure you get is for matriculating students, not admits. in general (not just for HLS), if you take a school's two groups "admitted students" and "matriculating students," the former group will as a whole have better numbers than the latter, because the former is composed of "matriculating students" + "students who got into a higher ranked school and went to it instead". thus the overall profile for the matriculating group isn't as impressive, but that's what is used for the LSP percentage. so, in theory this would inflate the percentage it gives you somewhat, since it's comparing you against a weaker overall group.
the smaller a school's yield is, the greater this effect is, because there will be a greater disparity between the two groups. of course here we're talking about HLS which for obvious reasons has a very high yield so this effect is probably minimal, but as a general evaluation of LSP i think it's pretty important.

- there might be certain points along the "spectrum" at which you are simply an auto-admit for a given school, yet there could still very well be students applying (and attending) who have higher numbers than you. say a school auto-admits anyone with an index of 10 or above. but, 20% of matriculating students have a 10 or above. if you have a 10 and plug into LSP, it'll tell you 80% (since 20% of the matriculating class beats you), which will be misleading because you actually have (essentially) a 100% chance of being admitted.
again this is probably mitigated at HLS because it's questionable whether anybody is a HLS auto-admit. but it's something that also is pretty important for LSP as a whole

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Yeah, I think for a lot of schools, that's definitely true. And for most schools, LSP is the best predictor on the internet. However, for Stanford / Yale / Harvard / Columbia, I think it's moot. Particularly Stanford and Yale. One poster on here got into Stanford with a 168 / 3.95, and another got rejected (not even waitlisted) with a 178 / 3.95 (although he ended up at Yale). Stanford and Yale are just too much about intangibles. Being better than 76% of the matriculates number-wise means very little.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
hmar78 wrote:Is it just me or does Rocketman11 have the bestess avatar ever????
Actually I think you should qualify that it's the best that this site will allow. I have better ones but they get censored :)
Yeah, I like this one. Your old one always kinda bothered me because it looked like the one girl was not so much kissing the other girl as gnawing on her lower lip.

Oh yeah, and Harvard got my $97 in mid-Sept.

nycsource

New

Post by nycsource » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:25 pm

This is probably super paranoid but I got an additional status checker mailings entry today duplicating my original complete email entry, with the same entry date. Is this just a bug on H's side? Anybody seeing the same thing?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

nycsource wrote:This is probably super paranoid but I got an additional status checker mailings entry today duplicating my original complete email entry, with the same entry date. Is this just a bug on H's side? Anybody seeing the same thing?
Yeah this happened to me to but I got the duplicate email a few days ago. I think this one was supposed to be the "complete" email while the first one was the "app received" email. Don't know why they included status checker info in both though.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:43 pm

Not to freak anyone out, but on this date last year, someone on LSN got the email scheduling the TS1.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”