Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sogui

Silver

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:45 pm

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY.

THIS WINTER STORM WARNING INCLUDES NORTHERN CONNECTICUT... RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 90 IN MASSACHUSETTS. THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF HARTFORD... SPRINGFIELD... WORCESTER... BOSTON... PROVIDENCE... TAUNTON... BROCKTON... PLYMOUTH... FALL RIVER AND NEW BEDFORD.

LIGHT SNOW HAS ALREADY OVERSPREAD THE REGION LATE THIS MORNING. HOWEVER... A BAND OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WAS CURRENTLY MOVING ONTO THE SOUTH COAST. THIS ACTIVITY WILL OVERSPREAD THE REST OF THE WARNING AREA THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON. ONCE THIS MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WORKS INTO THE REGION... ROADWAYS WILL QUICKLY BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY. MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE REGION THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS.

SNOWFALL RATES OF UP TO TWO INCHES PER HOUR WILL BE POSSIBLE FOR A TIME... ESPECIALLY ACROSS CONNECTICUT... RHODE ISLAND... AND SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS. THIS WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING... AND BE THE CAUSE OF A TREACHEROUS EVENING COMMUTE. WINDS WILL INCREASE AS THE DAY PROGRESSES... AND ESPECIALLY EARLY THIS EVENING. THIS MAY CAUSE NEAR-BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES ACROSS PORTIONS OF RHODE ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS.

AS FOR SNOWFALL TOTALS... SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 9 INCHES ARE PROBABLE NEAR THE MASS PIKE... WITH HIGHER AMOUNTS AS ONE HEADS SOUTHWARD. STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL PROBABLY RANGE FROM 9 TO 15 INCHES ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHERN CONNECTICUT... RHODE ISLAND... AND SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS. THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AND WET FOR A TIME... ESPECIALLY NEAR THE COAST. THIS COMBINED WITH NORTHEAST WIND GUSTS BETWEEN 40 AND 55 MPH ALONG THE COAST WILL LIKELY LEAD TO SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES ALONG WITH DOWNED TREE LIMBS.

-------------------------------------

Have no idea if that means anything though, no idea what standards the northeast uses for closures.

I also found this from the Crimson:

The official FAS “inclement weather” policy states that since most of Harvard’s student body and faculty live in close proximity to the college, the school “rarely declares a University-wide weather emergency.”

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 pm

There's no snow on the ground here, about a mile from Harvard, and current snowfall is very light. We're not supposed to get heavy snow until much later today (after 5 p.m.) and not more than 6-9 inches total, which is nothing for the Boston area. Furthermore, the snow will mostly stop by midnight, meaning streets will be clear tomorrow morning. Harvard will be open all of today and tomorrow.

"Southeastern Massachusetts" means the Cape, not Cambridge. Cambridge is "near the Mass Pike".

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

BenJ wrote:There's no snow on the ground here, about a mile from Harvard, and current snowfall is very light. We're not supposed to get heavy snow until much later today (after 5 p.m.) and not more than 6-9 inches total, which is nothing for the Boston area. Furthermore, the snow will mostly stop by midnight, meaning streets will be clear tomorrow morning. Harvard will be open all of today and tomorrow.

"Southeastern Massachusetts" means the Cape, not Cambridge.
Hey Benj. You're a mile from Harvard? Why not walk over there, go to JR's office, and demand some answers? Where are our phone calls! Go now and report back soon, mmmkay?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm

notanumber wrote:
BenJ wrote:There's no snow on the ground here, about a mile from Harvard, and current snowfall is very light. We're not supposed to get heavy snow until much later today (after 5 p.m.) and not more than 6-9 inches total, which is nothing for the Boston area. Furthermore, the snow will mostly stop by midnight, meaning streets will be clear tomorrow morning. Harvard will be open all of today and tomorrow.

Hey Benj. You're a mile from Harvard? Why not walk over there, go to JR's office, and demand some answers? Where are our phone calls! Go now and report back soon, mmmkay?
I went, and he offered me a full scholarship for my boldness but said you were denied ;)

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:33 pm

BenJ wrote:
notanumber wrote:

I went, and he offered me a full scholarship for my boldness but said you were denied ;)
:shock: :? :cry:
Well, I guess that's good to know. I'm going to auto-delete future e-mails from Harvard. I can't stand to even see the title of my real rejection letter. Thanks for telling me BenJ and enjoy your full scholarship!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:45 pm

notanumber wrote: Well, I guess that's good to know. I'm going to auto-delete future e-mails from Harvard. I can't stand to even see the title of my real rejection letter. Thanks for telling me BenJ and enjoy your full scholarship!
This might be the strangest response to a sarcastic comment I've ever seen. It's as if you actually believed him when I know you couldn't possibly have done so.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:49 pm

crackberry wrote:
notanumber wrote: Well, I guess that's good to know. I'm going to auto-delete future e-mails from Harvard. I can't stand to even see the title of my real rejection letter. Thanks for telling me BenJ and enjoy your full scholarship!
This might be the strangest response to a sarcastic comment I've ever seen. It's as if you actually believed him when I know you couldn't possibly have done so.
:lol:

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 pm

I just went UR late this afternoon (2/10), so somebody must be working.

In other news, sorry my first post in here is lame.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:45 pm

ilovelamp18 wrote:I just went UR late this afternoon (2/10), so somebody must be working.

Your post isn't lame at all. It looks like a typical "I'm joining this thread" post. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Dignan wrote:
ilovelamp18 wrote:I just went UR late this afternoon (2/10), so somebody must be working.

Your post isn't lame at all. It looks like a typical "I'm joining this thread" post. Good luck.
no! it was lame! the first post must be glorious and forever-remembered

a part of me died today reading that first post. for shame

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm

A part of me dies every day lately... I should've applied to 80 schools so I'd have more communication coming my way.

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 pm

This scratches another theory off my list:

[strike]The entire HLS admissions staff has contracted a highly lethal virus that has wiped them out completely. Harvard is keeping this under wraps as they use their connections to the Illuminati to track down the bio-assassin.[/strike]

Would've made for a great excuse if I get dinged too...

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:55 pm

i used to love fridays, i would wake up late, play some video games all day and even party at night. now i feel sick all week leading up to friday and from 7AM to 7PM on fridays whenever i see a new email in my inbox. (cue the gloria gaynor song "I am a survivor")

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sint

New

Post by sint » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi guys, posting for the first time to let everyone know I was held a few hours ago. Submitted around Thanksgiving, got the complete e-mail just before Christmas, no JR1 e-mail.

My GPA is a little unclear because I ended up graduating from a foreign university, but based on the rest of my cycle, my stats are something like 3.84/178. Happy to explain further via PM if anyone's curious. Softs are average, I guess.

Columbia offered me a Hamilton a few weeks ago, so I am still in a very fortunate position, I know. But based on LSN, I seem to be the only Hamilton out there who hasn't gotten into Harvard as well, and I guess I was at least hoping for a JR1. Bummer.

Okay, off to copy+paste this into the Held thread. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 pm

sint wrote:Hi guys, posting for the first time to let everyone know I was held a few hours ago. Submitted around Thanksgiving, got the complete e-mail just before Christmas, no JR1 e-mail.

My GPA is a little unclear because I ended up graduating from a foreign university, but based on the rest of my cycle, my stats are something like 3.84/178. Happy to explain further via PM if anyone's curious. Softs are average, I guess.

Columbia offered me a Hamilton a few weeks ago, so I am still in a very fortunate position, I know. But based on LSN, I seem to be the only Hamilton out there who hasn't gotten into Harvard as well, and I guess I was at least hoping for a JR1. Bummer.

Okay, off to copy+paste this into the Held thread. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Thank you for sharing your information, sorry to hear about the holding.

That's really scary that someone can get CLS+Hamilton and not even a JR1 from HLS, though you seem to have some unique circumstances that might influence that. And at least it's not a DING!

By the way, I know someone personally who got a Hamilton from CLS this cycle and has been complete for a month without getting a JR1... this is really a weird cycle.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:14 pm

And then there are those of us with JR1s who are waiting for our WL/dings from Columbia.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 pm

crackberry wrote:And then there are those of us with JR1s who are waiting for our WL/dings from Columbia.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:26 pm

seeing how harvard has been inactive lately, should we expect a deluge of activity all at once soon?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:31 pm

$1.99 wrote:seeing how harvard has been inactive lately, should we expect a deluge of activity all at once soon?
I don't post in here often and won't again for at least a little while, but from what I have got Harvard is currently trying to figure out how many of its already admitted students plan on attending and what other offers they have. This is them trying to gauge a yield during this already really weird admissions season in my opinion. I don't know why Harvard is doing this, but it appears to me they are.

Good luck to everyone btw.

>insert witty name<

New

Post by >insert witty name< » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 pm

$1.99 wrote:i used to love fridays, i would wake up late, play some video games all day and even party at night. now i feel sick all week leading up to friday and from 7AM to 7PM on fridays whenever i see a new email in my inbox. (cue the gloria gaynor song "I am a survivor")
... do they send out more emails on Friday than on other days?

(now how's THAT for a lame first post??) :oops:

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:37 pm

>insert witty name< wrote:
$1.99 wrote:i used to love fridays, i would wake up late, play some video games all day and even party at night. now i feel sick all week leading up to friday and from 7AM to 7PM on fridays whenever i see a new email in my inbox. (cue the gloria gaynor song "I am a survivor")
... do they send out more emails on Friday than on other days?

(now how's THAT for a lame first post??) :oops:
They do but it's nothing you'd like to get.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:52 pm

if you are a glutton for rejection emails then stay up all night for friday

Proximity

New

Post by Proximity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Submitted mid-December, been UR since 1/14.

Just hoping to have some update. Heck, even a rejection would at least relieve some tension for me.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Is there a particular day of the week when they tend to send JR1 emails? Or is it pretty much spread between non-Monday weekdays?

portena

Bronze

Post by portena » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 pm

I got mine on a Thursday, so tomorrow is a possibility.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”