Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Celibidache

New

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by Celibidache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 am

rowlf wrote:
T14 wrote:
rowlf wrote:What is the purpose of the JR1?

I have a theory, but what do you guys think (or what sourced answer to that can you dig up :))?

I can't answer your question, but what is your theory? I am curious...
I actually think it's a way to get applicants thinking seriously about the reality of being at Harvard. I know I hardly dared to look at the website until I got my JR1 email. Now I'm forced to wonder how I would fit in as an HLS student, and what I would do while there. This establishes a substantive, personal connection with applicants when they are at their most impressionable and vulnerable (read: before they are in). This, combined with getting their decisions out fairly early, helps their yield, I'm sure.
pffft.

ilovecroissants

New

Post by ilovecroissants » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:37 am

i am new to this thread but would appreciate any thoughts...

my app was submitted 10/23, complete 11/5, and JR1 11/13.
i haven't heard anything since: NO JR2.
I feel like its a bad sign~
is this more of a pattern for wait-lists and/or ejections--it seems most/others heard back right away

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:39 am

ilovecroissants wrote:i am new to this thread but would appreciate any thoughts...

is this more of a pattern for wait-lists and/or ejections--it seems most/others heard back right away
Stats and UG? URM status? W/o that not much we can tell you

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 am

ilovecroissants wrote:i am new to this thread but would appreciate any thoughts...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=98735
Join usssssss

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:01 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =7&t=98735
Join usssssss
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilovecroissants

New

Post by ilovecroissants » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:04 am

SolarWind wrote:

Stats and UG? URM status? W/o that not much we can tell you

-Stats 171 (but took more than once), gpa 3.98, undergrad ivy

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:34 am

So... I got my complete email on 11/04 (submitted 10/17) and no JR1 since. I'm guessing this means I'm pretty much done, right? I checked LSN. LSN says I'm done.

starsong

Bronze

Post by starsong » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:36 am

Saya wrote:So... I got my complete email on 11/04 (submitted 10/17) and no JR1 since. I'm guessing this means I'm pretty much done, right? I checked LSN. LSN says I'm done.
We'll know by the end of January for sure (per JR's blog). I say give it till then, you never know...

NeuroticallyYours

New

Post by NeuroticallyYours » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:54 am

rowlf wrote:
T14 wrote:
rowlf wrote:What is the purpose of the JR1?

I have a theory, but what do you guys think (or what sourced answer to that can you dig up :))?

I can't answer your question, but what is your theory? I am curious...
I actually think it's a way to get applicants thinking seriously about the reality of being at Harvard. I know I hardly dared to look at the website until I got my JR1 email. Now I'm forced to wonder how I would fit in as an HLS student, and what I would do while there. This establishes a substantive, personal connection with applicants when they are at their most impressionable and vulnerable (read: before they are in). This, combined with getting their decisions out fairly early, helps their yield, I'm sure.
There's some truth to this. I've been so consumed by my JR1 and JR2 this past week that I've completely neglected my Yale 250. Whoops.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Lost my phone last night. My sister emailed me from her Berry saying that someone found it and called me dad and told him that I could pick it up. Unfortunately, my sister titled the email "Jr Phone." She meant "Ur Phone." Definitely had a mild heart attack when I saw the email title.

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:22 pm

From the admissions blog:

"As I read files, I put aside those I find most interesting/compelling and set up interviews with them relatively quickly. However, files don’t necessarily come to me in chronological order as we have many Admissions Officers and Faculty Members reviewing applications. Thus, while some applicants will receive invitations to interview shortly after their file is complete, others may take a bit longer, depending on how many readers look at the file before it gets to me. Admittedly, there’s some randomness to how quickly your interview gets schedule so I wouldn’t read too much into the timing. Hope this helps."

Sadly that doesn't provide much reassurance for those of us who haven't gotten a JR1 and have been complete for a long time. I'm not sure how long it could possibly take for an app to get to JR, but I imagine it can't be thaat long if he's getting to other apps right away.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:21 pm

oh god. under review today.

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:28 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Lost my phone last night. My sister emailed me from her Berry saying that someone found it and called me dad and told him that I could pick it up. Unfortunately, my sister titled the email "Jr Phone." She meant "Ur Phone." Definitely had a mild heart attack when I saw the email title.
this is sad. your life is sad.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Celibidache wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Lost my phone last night. My sister emailed me from her Berry saying that someone found it and called me dad and told him that I could pick it up. Unfortunately, my sister titled the email "Jr Phone." She meant "Ur Phone." Definitely had a mild heart attack when I saw the email title.
?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Celibidache wrote:
?
That guy's a weirdo. Forget about him.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Celibidache wrote:
I don't think that makes his life sad. I feel for him. If I got an email from my sister when my phone was lost saying "Jr Phone" I might be jolted too.

zamd006

New

Post by zamd006 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:22 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Celibidache wrote:
?
I know what you mean hopefulundergrad, it's ok man keep those fingers crossed I'm sure you'll get in somewhere great.
Last edited by zamd006 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Yikes. Also UR as of this afternoon.

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:51 pm

I remember going through this same process last year and would likely have reacted similarly to hopefulundergrad, but in retrospect, I realize how pathetic your life becomes when you allow yourself to become the bitch of a law school so damn easily.

Guys, good luck to all of you. I'm sure you'll all do very well, but there's a much better way to go about this thing. Try not to obsess so damn much, you'll be better persons for it. There's definitely more to life than gaining admission to HLS/YLS/etc.

Good luck!

P.S. I love you too, Crack.

zamd006

New

Post by zamd006 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Celibidache wrote:I remember going through this same process last year and would likely have reacted similarly to hopefulundergrad, but in retrospect, I realize how pathetic your life becomes when you allow yourself to become the bitch of a law school so damn easily.

Guys, good luck to all of you. I'm sure you'll all do very well, but there's a much better way to go about this thing. Try not to obsess so damn much, you'll be better persons for it. There's definitely more to life than gaining admission to HLS/YLS/etc.

Good luck!

You should have said that in the first place. That sounds much better.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Celibidache wrote:There's definitely more to life than gaining admission to HLS/YLS/etc.
really? what?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 pm

skip james wrote:
Celibidache wrote:There's definitely more to life than gaining admission to HLS/YLS/etc.
really? what?
:idea:

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm

zamd006 wrote:
Celibidache wrote:I remember going through this same process last year and would likely have reacted similarly to hopefulundergrad, but in retrospect, I realize how pathetic your life becomes when you allow yourself to become the bitch of a law school so damn easily.

Good luck!

+1. You came across very badly the first time.

Celibidache

New

Post by Celibidache » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 pm

crackberry wrote:
zamd006 wrote:

Good luck!

+1. You came across very badly the first time.
As did you! :wink: No, seriously, you did.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:39 pm

amidea wrote:From the admissions blog:

"As I read files, I put aside those I find most interesting/compelling and set up interviews with them relatively quickly. However, files don’t necessarily come to me in chronological order as we have many Admissions Officers and Faculty Members reviewing applications. Thus, while some applicants will receive invitations to interview shortly after their file is complete, others may take a bit longer, depending on how many readers look at the file before it gets to me. Admittedly, there’s some randomness to how quickly your interview gets schedule so I wouldn’t read too much into the timing. Hope this helps."

Sadly that doesn't provide much reassurance for those of us who haven't gotten a JR1 and have been complete for a long time. I'm not sure how long it could possibly take for an app to get to JR, but I imagine it can't be thaat long if he's getting to other apps right away.
this just tells me that my application was not compelling. thanks, JR!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”