Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawnerd

New

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by lawnerd » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:I had my JR1 on 10/22 (the first day he started making calls), but am in no way what people would consider an "auto-admit." I'm 3.97/171.

I've heard (not sure where or how reliable the source was) that almost all pre-Thanksgiving interview invitees were accepted. Is this true? Do they really not waitlist/reject people who are interviewed that early in the cycle?
Anybody who gets their JR1 this early in the cycle is in.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 pm

lawnerd wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:I had my JR1 on 10/22 (the first day he started making calls), but am in no way what people would consider an "auto-admit." I'm 3.97/171.

I've heard (not sure where or how reliable the source was) that almost all pre-Thanksgiving interview invitees were accepted. Is this true? Do they really not waitlist/reject people who are interviewed that early in the cycle?
Oh boy, fingers crossed that this is true!

nycsource

New

Post by nycsource » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:25 pm

does anybody know how the process actually works. Are JR1's pre-screened by committee, or do you get JR1 just based on stats and then you go to committee

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:30 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
Chichaca wrote:
lsnate wrote:Oh, Harvard, forgive me for my B in Freshman Biology.
I know! I'm kicking myself. Why in the world did I think B's were okay?!
nice avatar :D
Auto-admit.

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:36 pm

crackberry wrote:
lawnerd wrote:

it's not necessarily true, but getting a JR1 is a good sign anyway, so good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

T14

Bronze

Post by T14 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 pm

capitalacq wrote: it's not necessarily true, but getting a JR1 is a good sign anyway, so good luck
I think you are probably correct, but just out of curiousity, has anyone found any examples on LSN of someone getting an early TS1 and then a rejection?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:38 pm

capitalacq wrote:
crackberry wrote:
lawnerd wrote:

it's not necessarily true, but getting a JR1 is a good sign anyway, so good luck
Darn. But thanks.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:20 pm

lol i like how everyone hinges their hopes on the last person who posts an opinion or says something in a matter-of-fact way.

truthfully? who knows if getting it this early means you have a higher than 75% (overall rate) chance of getting accepted or not. it certainly wouldnt be 100% because i recall hearing about 1-2 people on TLS last yr who got TS1 and didnt get TS2 in the first batch (note: no idea if they eventually got TS2 or not).

i mean, personal bias, i sure as hell would love for early JR1 = greater chance of acceptance like 90% (completely arbitrary number) instead of 75%, but unless someone is willing to dig through a LOT of stuff to find some hard numbers/evidence, it comes down to not knowing any which way. just becomes personal opinions or rumors (which are pretty worthless in this context).

buuuut hey, it cant be a BAD thing :P

good luck all!

lsnate

New

Post by lsnate » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:26 pm

I just got out of an info session with JR and he deflected my question about when to expect an interview email if you are going to receive one at all. He just said that they try to have some decision for you by 2 months after you've gone complete. He didn't elaborate on anything regarding interview emails, but did confirm the same questions we know he has already asked, i.e. resume questions, why law school, why HLS?, etc. Nice guy, but didn't give us anything new.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:28 pm

lsnate wrote:I just got out of an info session with JR and he deflected my question about when to expect an interview email if you are going to receive one at all. He just said that they try to have some decision for you by 2 months after you've gone complete. He didn't elaborate on anything regarding interview emails, but did confirm the same questions we know he has already asked, i.e. resume questions, why law school, why HLS?, etc. Nice guy, but didn't give us anything new.
Hmm, so this would indicate that those of us who've gotten JR1 invites thus far are just those who applied mid-late September and who stand a fighter's chance?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:38 pm

crackberry wrote:
lsnate wrote:I just got out of an info session with JR and he deflected my question about when to expect an interview email if you are going to receive one at all. He just said that they try to have some decision for you by 2 months after you've gone complete. He didn't elaborate on anything regarding interview emails, but did confirm the same questions we know he has already asked, i.e. resume questions, why law school, why HLS?, etc. Nice guy, but didn't give us anything new.
Hmm, so this would indicate that those of us who've gotten JR1 invites thus far are just those who applied mid-late September and who stand a fighter's chance?
i suppose, though saying 'a fighter's chance' sounds a tad pessimistic lol. i dont think they give out interviews to everyone who stands a fighter's chance.

btw, i did some digging on TLS...and i know JR is doing things differently this yr so would render my whole point moot, but last yr, in a thread about the ppl who first got TS2's on TLS...everyone who was interviewed early got the TS2. everyone or everyone minus one, not sure.

of course these are only taking into account the people who POSTED and said they were still waiting for TS2 and had gotten a TS1. all of them eventually got a TS2. there could have been people on TLS who got the TS1 and just never saw the thread. still, hopeful.

the order of interviews did correlate w/ acceptance calls. since everyone was accepted and last yr they didnt waitlist or reject till the end, i dont know how it'd be this yr...but people who got TS1 earlier last yr got TS2 first...then later TS1's got TS2 a bit later, and so on and so forth.

what im scared about is getting the waitlist/reject call a month or so from now -_- haha

lsnate

New

Post by lsnate » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm

crackberry wrote:
I'm hoping so. He said they've only been actively reviewing for a couple weeks, so it only makes sense that the way JR1 invites have rolled out in batches will continue as they progress through the apps. He also said applications can be read by as many as five others besides himself depending on what the readers thing, so some of us who haven't received JR1's yet, may still be circling through readers. I haven't lost hope yet.

rm21

New

Post by rm21 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Last edited by rm21 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Haven

New

Post by Haven » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:59 pm

I browse this thread to see how this cycle will turn out (I'm applying next cycle).
Good luck! 8)

lsnate

New

Post by lsnate » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:07 pm

rm21 wrote:I'm throwing my hat into this ring. I received the phone call e-mail last Friday and my fingers are crossed. It's a bit weird that I am more anxious and stressed out now that I have some (seemingly) good news than I have been at any time in the LSAT / law school admissions process. I also keep checking this site . . . I'm not sure what I'm waiting for. HLS is by far my top choice right now.
What are your stats?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:36 pm

I might have applied just to be able to have a Harvard status checker :oops:

mozhou7

New

Post by mozhou7 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:46 pm

I just received the e-mail for interview...

I CAN"T BELIEVE IT! I only have a lowly 170/4.0...the only reason I am retaking in Dec is for this interview...and now I get it...I am confused...I have been studyin for 2 months.

Say I already get the interview...does my 170 still hold me back?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:54 pm

I don't think anyone can answer that question, but congrats.

nycsource

New

Post by nycsource » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Im also a low lsat high gpa splitter with similar stats. It seems there are a lot of us getting invitations - though I realize TLS is a small sample size. Do you think maybe the interview strategy has changed, or that Harvard's admissions strategy is changing this year - perhaps to change state/yield etc?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:09 pm

nycsource wrote:Im also a low lsat high gpa splitter with similar stats. It seems there are a lot of us getting invitations - though I realize TLS is a small sample size. Do you think maybe the interview strategy has changed, or that Harvard's admissions strategy is changing this year - perhaps to change state/yield etc?
I don't think who gets interviews has anything at all to do with yield. We've already applied.

EDIT: Meaning it's not like UVA's system of sending out massive numbers of fee waivers to entice higher numbers of applications. Harvard isn't inviting people who've yet to apply to interview.

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:18 pm

nycsource wrote:Im also a low lsat high gpa splitter with similar stats. It seems there are a lot of us getting invitations - though I realize TLS is a small sample size. Do you think maybe the interview strategy has changed, or that Harvard's admissions strategy is changing this year - perhaps to change state/yield etc?
What is the world coming to if Harvard has to worry about yield?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cougit

New

Post by cougit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:21 pm

So I have been perusing this board as a guest (i.e. stalking) for quite awhile and thought that, because my status changed to "under review" today (10/28) I would join the fray.

I think my stats are near good enough to (hopefully!) get an interview. Any thoughts on how the turnaround time between going under review and getting a JR1 email might change as we get into the bulk application/holiday season? I've been checking out LSN from last year's cycle and based on that and what JR said, I am crossing my fingers for a pre-Christmas decision...

nycsource

New

Post by nycsource » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:38 pm

i meant yield after granting acceptances, for example perhaps they want to increase their yield, so they are trying to accept people in stats ranges where they are more likely to accept the offer and compensate with splitters in the reverse direction, basically widen the ranges, but keep the medians the same. It just does't seem like there were as many low 170's high gpa people invited to TS1's last year. So I'm trying to hypothesize, why the change. Maybe they are just building up a waitlist, in alignment with their goal to get back to people on a rolling basis.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:56 pm

nycsource wrote:i meant yield after granting acceptances, for example perhaps they want to increase their yield, so they are trying to accept people in stats ranges where they are more likely to accept the offer and compensate with splitters in the reverse direction, basically widen the ranges, but keep the medians the same. It just does't seem like there were as many low 170's high gpa people invited to TS1's last year. So I'm trying to hypothesize, why the change. Maybe they are just building up a waitlist, in alignment with their goal to get back to people on a rolling basis.
this is interesting - really no idea if that's the case at all but at least it sounds coherent. but if they were to start accepting more splitters then by necessity they'd have to start rejecting more non-splitters they otherwise would have accepted. i mean, in theory a 3.9/170 is really not all that competitive for harvard, at least not as competitive as a 3.8/174 type who is near both medians. the same can be said for a 3.5/178 type. conceivably they could keep the same medians by accepting the splitters over the non-splitters, so i get what you're saying, but it's difficult to believe they'd start bumping out 3.8/174s to make room for 3.9/170s and 3.5/178s just because the splitters are less likely to get into yale, get big money from CLS, [insert other potential threats to HLS's yield rate], etc.

edit: just to say that if i sounded like i was trying to come off authoritatively that isn't my expectation nor my intention. i'm just another OL engaging in random speculation while waiting for an email

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:05 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
nycsource wrote:i meant yield after granting acceptances, for example perhaps they want to increase their yield, so they are trying to accept people in stats ranges where they are more likely to accept the offer and compensate with splitters in the reverse direction, basically widen the ranges, but keep the medians the same. It just does't seem like there were as many low 170's high gpa people invited to TS1's last year. So I'm trying to hypothesize, why the change. Maybe they are just building up a waitlist, in alignment with their goal to get back to people on a rolling basis.
this is interesting - really no idea if that's the case at all but at least it sounds coherent. but if they were to start accepting more splitters then by definition they'd have to start rejecting more non-splitters they otherwise would have accepted. i mean, in theory a 3.9/170 is really not all that competitive for harvard, at least not as competitive as a 3.8/174 type who is near both medians. the same can be said for a 3.5/178 type. conceivably they could keep the same medians by accepting the splitters over the non-splitters, so i get what you're saying, but it's difficult to believe they'd start bumping out 3.8/174s to make room for 3.9/170s and 3.5/178s just because the splitters are less likely to get into yale, get big money from CLS, [insert other potential threats to HLS's yield rate], etc.

edit: just to say that if i sounded like i was trying to come off authoritatively that isn't my expectation nor my intention. i'm just another OL engaging in speculation while waiting for an email
Perhaps they are just interviewing more applicants this year, fewer of whom will be accepted than in the past?

(Just to contribute more hysterics to all of our unfounded speculation :D )

By the way, Harvard, if you really are worried about your yield, I just want you to know I'm a sure bet. I'd never turn you down, baby.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”