Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fmehrabi

New

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by fmehrabi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:51 pm

I was thinking along the same lines. I'm pretty sure I can make the jump for the June test (I'm hitting 170 as it is now) and I'll apply early. I'm just really lost as what to do to boost my chances for next year other than the LSAT score.

NightHooded

New

Post by NightHooded » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:53 pm

clintonius wrote:You can apply to *transfer* to Harvard your first year, but you can't apply for regular admission if you are attending another law school. Your ability to transfer (especially to a place like Harvard) means you need to be near the top of your class,
What if he gets into Yale or Stanford? Or CCN? I'm assuming he would not need to be at the very top of the class, just in the top third or so?

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:03 pm

My thoughts:
chi16 wrote:just got dinged. not even a jr1. my lsat was low, but i had the gpa and good work experience. and, not to brag, a pretty kickass PS and stellar recs.
fmehrabi wrote:From what they've told me, my professors sent in really good recommendations.
Just as general commentary, seems like everybody thinks they have good activities/WE/PS/recs. There's some truth to that since we're all competitive applicants at top schools, but not worth much comparatively within that pool. I could probably count on one hand the number of people who have disparaged their statements or wondered about their recs. Everybody's putting together a strong, competitive application, and unless we're the AdComm and can actually see and compare these factors, it's kind of meaningless to assume ours are that great and unique. That said, I do understand the motivation to be perserve anonymity and be scant on details (hence my profile reference to "unique" WE w/o further detail), but I sort of feel like Mr. Bingley when he remarked, "I never heard a young lady spoken of for the first time, without being informed that she was very accomplished."

lt0826 wrote:An unsurprising ding for me - too many strong non-trads this year.
That does certainly seem to be the case. I blame the economy. Also interesting that much like URMs, NTs seem to have a pretty long cycle. It feels like a large number of the pending and WL candidates are NTs. Interesting to see how that plays out.

lt0826 wrote:Also, Harvard did not ask for a diversity statement, but I think I should have sent one to them anyway. I am not URM but come from a mixed ethnic heritage and if nothing else, it makes for a good story and a good essay.
Absolutely. I'm a white male, but I wrote a DS about a comparatively obscure aspect of my background. As Loretta DeLoggio says, it's just a matter of giving the AdComm the best opportunity to get to know you, and an extra statement gives them more time to become acquainted with you.

Just some thoughts. Best of luck to all as the cycle draws to a close!

Peter N

New

Post by Peter N » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Sorry to hear about the latest round of dings, guys. :( Wow, these past 2-3 weeks has been a bloodbath for HLS hopefuls. :|

I would've thought that we'd see some serious "movement" (ie. JR2s/some JR1s/slew of dings/JR2s off WL/etc) after May 1st, given that May 1 is the seat deposit deadline date. Guess the "movement" has already started.

Anyway, I'm really sad to see that some of the most interesting posters here on TLS's HLS threads (with strong #'s no less) were either dinged (eg. BioEBear, etc) or have opted not to go to HLS after all (a la crackberry, tomhobbes, et al). :cry:
lt0826 wrote:too many strong non-trads this year.
+1

Agreed. :?
lt0826 wrote:My cycle is almost over. Just waiting to hear from Northwestern regarding a dual degree program.
NW's 3-year JD/MBA?

If so, this is a Catch 22. If you have taken the LSAT, your score gets reported vis LSDAS. If you didn't, and took the GMAT and you did well on the GMAT, you have a good shot. Oh, also, you best have some stellar WE for this applicant pool. Good luck, either way.

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Peter N wrote:I would've thought that we'd see some serious "movement" (ie. JR2s/some JR1s/slew of dings/JR2s off WL/etc) after May 1st, given that May 1 is the seat deposit deadline date. Guess the "movement" has already started.
Can you clarify this? I actually feel like the past few days have been rather stagnant as compared tor the rapidfire dings issued the past few weeks. And to my knowledge, there's been no "movement" off the WL, nor would I expect there to be any till mid- to late May.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Peter N

New

Post by Peter N » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 pm

swampthang wrote:
Peter N wrote:I would've thought that we'd see some serious "movement" (ie. JR2s/some JR1s/slew of dings/JR2s off WL/etc) after May 1st, given that May 1 is the seat deposit deadline date. Guess the "movement" has already started.
Can you clarify this? I actually feel like the past few days have been rather stagnant as compared tor the rapidfire dings issued the past few weeks. And to my knowledge, there's been no "movement" off the WL, nor would I expect there to be any till mid- to late May.
Sorry. My bad. You're right. (I've had a very long day at work... and I'm tired as heck). :oops:

Yep, that's what I meant. ie: I would've expected that the slew of dings/JR1s/JR2s/WL pile/etc. would've kick-started after HLS had some idea as to how many students would 'commit', from the initial offers that were sent out (by ~2nd or 3rd week of May), given that May 1st is the seat deposit deadline day. I'm guessing (read: my uninformed opinion) that the dings that have gone out to date are sure-fire dings (ie. not worthy of any further consideration). :(

WLs, IMHO, should be taken with a grain of salt. Despite what the "WL e-mail says" (oh so eloquently!), the chances of getting accepted from the WL might be slim to none, but it has happened before (per the HLS admissions blog). HLS has admitted people who were not even on the W/L when the incoming class was almost full, so I wouldn't rule anything out just yet.

If you're still in the running, good luck!! :P Anything and everything is possible.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:52 pm

NightHooded wrote:
clintonius wrote:You can apply to *transfer* to Harvard your first year, but you can't apply for regular admission if you are attending another law school. Your ability to transfer (especially to a place like Harvard) means you need to be near the top of your class,
What if he gets into Yale or Stanford? Or CCN? I'm assuming he would not need to be at the very top of the class, just in the top third or so?
You mean, if s/he got into one of those this year? It seems that's also highly unlikely given the LSAT. I don't know much at all about transferring and wouldn't feel comfortable commenting one way or the other on the chances of going to Harvard from one of those.

big_blue79

Bronze

Post by big_blue79 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Still standing. Put in my seat deposit at NYU and will happily attend, but I would still take HLS. Just waiting for my ding, though. Also, yet another non-traditional with great (if unrelated to law) softs here :|

biglll

New

Post by biglll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Guys forgive my stupidity--when you say non-traditional what do you mean? G/L? :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 pm

biglll wrote:Guys forgive my stupidity--when you say non-traditional what do you mean? G/L? :roll:
Non-Trad is generally older with W/E, been out of school a while, and/or have a family or something along those lines. Some people treat it differently, like I consider myself non-trad, but I took off time in the middle of UG not after I graduated.

biglll

New

Post by biglll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:55 pm

Unitas wrote:
biglll wrote:Guys forgive my stupidity--when you say non-traditional what do you mean? G/L? :roll:
Non-Trad is generally older with W/E, been out of school a while, and/or have a family or something along those lines. Some people treat it differently, like I consider myself non-trad, but I took off time in the middle of UG not after I graduated.
O thanks, gotcha. And when you say "self-selected non-trad"? Btw, I am an international, have family and kids, worked in several places..but I have never seen in any app form a box asking: "am I a traditional applicant?"

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:58 pm

biglll wrote:
Unitas wrote:
O thanks, gotcha. And when you say "self-selected non-trad"? Btw, I am an international, have family and kids, worked in several places..but I have never seen in any app form a box asking: "am I a traditional applicant?"
I said different people consider it differently. I consider myself non-trad (most would), but some would not - mainly because I took time off during UG and not after.

Non-trad will come across in your writings (PS, Resume, etc) and doesn't need a box to check.

It sounds like you would be non-trad and international.

biglll

New

Post by biglll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Unitas wrote:
biglll wrote:
Unitas wrote:
I said different people consider it differently. I consider myself non-trad (most would), but some would not - mainly because I took time off during UG and not after.

Non-trad will come across in your writings (PS, Resume, etc) and doesn't need a box to check.

It sounds like you would be non-trad and international.
Wow, thanks!
Just was coming across so many profiles on LSN with the phrase "self-selected non-trad" and wondering what may it mean. Realistically, it means just: "had smth to do out of college and wrote PS/DS about it." :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MeredithGrey

New

Post by MeredithGrey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 am

Still standing after another round of rejections. The fact that every decision on LSN since 4/21 has been a rejection, and the last outright acceptance was 4/6 doesnt look promising for us :(
But until we hear the official news, there is always hope!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Blergh, waitlisted via e-mail. 3.79/180, complete 10/22, held 1/8. Will be withdrawing. Good luck guys!

Edit: 11/6 JR1.
Last edited by BaiAilian2013 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 am

Also waitlisted this morning with 172/3.8. Applied 1/25, no hold, no JR1. Can't bring myself to withdraw just yet.

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:54 am

clintonius wrote:Also waitlisted this morning with 172/3.8. Applied 1/25, no hold, no JR1. Can't bring myself to withdraw just yet.
good luck, clintonius!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eachdaythewiser

New

Post by eachdaythewiser » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Blergh, waitlisted via e-mail. 3.79/180, complete 10/22, held 1/8. Will be withdrawing. Good luck guys!

Ahh! You're the dubbed cute girl from $1.99's thread!

You scores are amazing. Withdrawing from Harvard? Where did you settle on, and do you have a LSN's account?

Any advice related to your 180? I ask every 180 to gather what I can. :D

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 am

hannah87 wrote:
clintonius wrote:Also waitlisted this morning with 172/3.8. Applied 1/25, no hold, no JR1. Can't bring myself to withdraw just yet.
good luck, clintonius!
Thanks! I'll be riding it out, at least for now.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 am

clintonius wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
good luck, clintonius!
Thanks! I'll be riding it out, at least for now.
Yes, good luck!

I still got nothing.

MeredithGrey

New

Post by MeredithGrey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:23 pm

r6_philly wrote: I still got nothing.
Ditto. Any day r6. Given our late complete dates, I would guess today or tomorrow.

By the way, I noticed on LSN that you have a lot of notable waitlistss: Penn, Duke, Columbia, etc. Some of them you withdrew from as soon as you got the waitlist email. If you rode out all your waitlists, I think you may have gotten in to one of these very respectable schools. Is it Harvard or bust for you?
Last edited by MeredithGrey on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:32 pm

eachdaythewiser wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Blergh, waitlisted via e-mail. 3.79/180, complete 10/22, held 1/8. Will be withdrawing. Good luck guys!

Ahh! You're the dubbed cute girl from $1.99's thread!

You scores are amazing. Withdrawing from Harvard? Where did you settle on, and do you have a LSN's account?

Any advice related to your 180? I ask every 180 to gather what I can. :D
lol shes going to NYU

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 pm

MeredithGrey wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I still got nothing.
Ditto. Any day r6. Given our late complete dates, I would guess today or tomorrow.

By the way, I noticed on LSN that you have a lot of notable waitlistss: Penn, Duke, Columbia, etc. Some of them you withdrew from as soon as you got the waitlist email. If you rode out all your waitlists, I think you may have gotten in to one of these very respectable schools. Is it Harvard or bust for you?
I have family issues that won't allow me to just get up and go so I prefer to reapply over waitlist. I would ride the H WL if I get on though, not H or bust, but can't say no to a chance at H. For other schools I don't want to dissappoint myself and the school if I get an offer in June then can't attend. I figure it's better to withdraw then reapply than WL->acceptance-withdraw then reapply. I am really grateful that I haven't been rejected anywhere other than Yale, so I feel good reapplying.

CoaltoNewCastle

Bronze

Post by CoaltoNewCastle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Sorry, Bai. :( This is a crappy year for people with our numbers applying to Harvard. Thank you for withdrawing though and have a great time in New York!

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:34 pm

I wonder if they are really pushing to finish by tomorrow, or if they just figure we'll wait either way. I for one will wait either way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”