Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
Chichaca wrote:For a school of its caliber, it gets an inordinate amount of hate on TLS.
I disagree. Cooley gets an equal amount of hate.
Cooley is on the other end of the spectrum, it is the different kind of hate. Everyone on here can't spit at Cooley because most everyone here over qualifies for Cooley and can laugh at them. Most everyone here under qualifies for Harvard and can only channel dissapointment and resentment if they so choose.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 pm

crackberry wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Sour grapes? Elitism? Arrogance?

You can't hate a "holistic school" because they are not saying you are not good enough, they are saying you haven't done enough. Stanford is on its own out west. H is the top target of every east coast applicant.
Definitely not true, but who exactly were you talking to here?
Sorry, I don't mean "target" as in target school, I mean "target" as in a "hate target" sense.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.
I have a number of friends who have some affiliation with Harvard (UG and grad) and I like a lot of them, but it is people like you making comments like this that make me realize why I have so much less respect for Harvard than for Yale and Stanford. I am thrilled we will not be classmates.
but its people like me that you're sending in a LOCI for, amirite? dont lie crackberry, dont lie!!! you can lie to me, but not to yourself! lol
You are right. I do like you. I also like Slickback and T14 and various other people going to Harvard. And there are undoubtedly dicks like Michelle at both Stanford and Yale. But for whatever reason, they aren't as visible. Call it rose-colored glasses if you will, but that's my impression.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:
Chichaca wrote:For a school of its caliber, it gets an inordinate amount of hate on TLS.
Cooley is on the other end of the spectrum, it is the different kind of hate. Everyone on here can't spit at Cooley because most everyone here over qualifies for Cooley and can laugh at them. Most everyone here under qualifies for Harvard and can only channel dissapointment and resentment if they so choose.
you missed the joke

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:46 pm

crackberry wrote:You can say I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but I've definitely never told someone "Don't worry, you're not getting in" or anything to that effect. At least not seriously (Kronk doesn't count).
Yeah, the "don't worry, you're not getting in" was rude. I wouldn't choose to put it that way myself. But I feel like all I read on TLS these days is how much people don't want to go to Harvard, and sometimes I appreciate seeing the opposite sentiment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:47 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:
you missed the joke
It isn't a joke since it is the fact/truth. I thought jokes have to be exaggerated or inaccurate.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:Don't worry Harvard won't accept you anyways. I wouldn't go to Yale if they paid me to go there. Love you Harvard.
I have a number of friends who have some affiliation with Harvard (UG and grad) and I like a lot of them, but it is people like you making comments like this that make me realize why I have so much less respect for Harvard than for Yale and Stanford. I am thrilled we will not be classmates.
but its people like me that you're sending in a LOCI for, amirite? dont lie crackberry, dont lie!!! you can lie to me, but not to yourself! lol
You are right. I do like you. I also like Slickback and T14 and various other people going to Harvard. And there are undoubtedly dicks like Michelle at both Stanford and Yale. But for whatever reason, they aren't as visible. Call it rose-colored glasses if you will, but that's my impression.
I thought everyone in this thread loved crack.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Hmm, true, but I've definitely been annoyed by things that current YLS 1Ls have posted.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Chichaca wrote:
crackberry wrote:
And the pot calls the kettle black.

At least we have one outspoken Harvard troll on here to counteract the whole "Harvard is a TTT diploma mill" cult.

wow, this thread is getting ugly! We all know Harvard is not a diploma mill, and this year it's more clear than ever as a number of candidates with very strong #'s have not recieved acceptances. That being said, Harvard cannot afford to be as selective as Yale or Stanford because of the size of its class. Harvard has chosen to have a big class because it gives them the ability to offer a much wider array of opportunites than a smaller school could (Or so they say anyways). I don't see any reason why Harvard would have a higher proportion of douche bags than Stanford or Yale. Each school has a population of incredibly high achievers and with this comes a higher proportion of douche bag like people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm

crackberry wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Sorry crack, I like you in general, but you've come across as a jerk yourself several times, especially when calling someone "psychotic" for stating that stanford and penn were in the same category. I don't think it's necessary on TLS for anyone to aggressively state that someone won't get in somewhere, OR that someone's assessment of schools makes them psychotic. Personally, I think there are a lot of things more important than what people think about my ugrad that I've worked myself up about, but I usually find it's not worth the effort on an internet forum such as TLS.
Last edited by lawyering on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:52 pm

dudester wrote: I thought everyone in this thread loved crack.
or at least berries. lol

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

dudester wrote:
crackberry wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
exquisite pun, my friend. exquisite.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm

ok ok, i sort of just wanted to post a pic, ive never done it on this forum evar lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:54 pm

dudester wrote:
I actually prefer black tar heroin, thank you very much.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:55 pm

Herb! I see you are a big Sibley fan now?

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:57 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
dudester wrote:
I was actually thinking of asscrack.

Asscrack and Harvard are natural complements.

Chichaca

Bronze

Post by Chichaca » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm

crackberry wrote:Harvard sucks. You're screwed.
How is this different from the attitude you're criticizing?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
dudester wrote:
I was actually thinking of asscrack.

Asscrack and Harvard are natural complements.
+1

it's more fitting than that nasty substance

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm

lawyering wrote:Sorry crack, I like you in general, but you've come across as a jerk yourself several times, especially when calling someone "psychotic" for stating that stanford and penn were in the same category. I don't think it's necessary on TLS for anyone to aggressively state that someone won't get in somewhere, OR that someone's assessment of schools makes them psychotic. Personally, I think there are a lot of things more important than what people think about my ugrad that I've worked myself up about, but I usually find it's not worth the effort on an internet forum such as TLS.
i wouldn't call someone psychotic for thinking stanford and penn are "in the same category", but i really don't think they are. i guess it depends on how loose your categories are, but the way i look at it is S is on par with HY(P) (LS and UG) and penn is not.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Chichaca wrote:
crackberry wrote:Harvard sucks. You're screwed.
How is this different from the attitude you're criticizing?
Out of context FTW. That was in that ludicrous "I was admitted to Harvard but rejected at Yale and now my life is over" thread. In fact, my comment was just pointing out how ridiculous the OP was being and actually was meant (and interpreted) to mean that he was in no way screwed.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:38 pm

lawyering wrote:Sorry crack, I like you in general, but you've come across as a jerk yourself several times, especially when calling someone "psychotic" for stating that stanford and penn were in the same category. I don't think it's necessary on TLS for anyone to aggressively state that someone won't get in somewhere, OR that someone's assessment of schools makes them psychotic. Personally, I think there are a lot of things more important than what people think about my ugrad that I've worked myself up about, but I usually find it's not worth the effort on an internet forum such as TLS.
Listen, I've definitely said some things I shouldn't have - mostly when I feel like Stanford has been slighted. But calling the notion that Stanford and Penn are equivalent schools "psychotic" is a far cry from saying things like "Don't worry, Harvard won't accept you anyway" (to someone accepted at both YLS and SLS at that). And while "psychotic" was probably too strong a word, East Coasters' notion that Stanford is distinctly below HYP and actually on par with schools like Penn and Duke is, I still believe, laughable.

This is the Harvard thread so we probably shouldn't really discuss it here, but if people actually think that's true, I'd love to discuss it with them elsewhere.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 pm

crackberry wrote:
Listen, I've definitely said some things I shouldn't have - mostly when I feel like Stanford has been slighted. But calling the notion that Stanford and Penn are equivalent schools "psychotic" is a far cry from saying things like "Don't worry, Harvard won't accept you anyway" (to someone accepted at both YLS and SLS at that). And while "psychotic" was probably too strong a word, East Coasters' notion that Stanford is distinctly below HYP and actually on par with schools like Penn and Duke is, I still believe, laughable.

This is the Harvard thread so we probably shouldn't really discuss it here, but if people actually think that's true, I'd love to discuss it with them elsewhere.
I think the idea here is that it is very easy for someone to come across as a jerk on the internet, even if they are not meaning to be jerky. Best to give people the benefit of the doubt and let it go. Of course, etiquette dictates that accidental jerkiness should be apologized for when it gets called out, but it is also not that big of a deal.

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

crackberry wrote:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... s-rankings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_High ... y_Rankings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_R ... iversities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... ffiliation
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... es-schools

not to be overly obnoxious, but by most measure (especially if you're looking at the quality of research, faculty awards, departmental rankings, etc) there isn't too much difference between stanford and schools like Columbia and Chicago. I tend to think Penn is something of a paper tiger as a research university but its undergradute college is certainly in the same class as Stanford. Duke or Northwestern or Hopkins clearly aren't.

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

crackberry wrote:And while "psychotic" was probably too strong a word, East Coasters' notion that Stanford is distinctly below HYP and actually on par with schools like Penn and Duke is, I still believe, laughable.
Uhhh, for UG at least, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Chicago and Columbia are very much peer schools. They comprise the tier below HYP.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 pm

We don't need to get into which school is better...didn't mean to re-start that war. But I do have to say that my opinion of Stanford has been quite colored by comments like that, and not in a positive way, sadly. Their financial aid office, however, is my new best friend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”