Harvard 2010! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: Harvard 2010!

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:47 pm

Hopefully next week is the next batch of JR1s. :D

PoorOrpheus

Bronze

Post by PoorOrpheus » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:Hopefully next week is the next batch of JR1s. :D
+180

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:21 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
lz06 wrote:nothing for me either, I will for sure let TLS know asap if I do haha. Thanksgiving was so annoying, my dad told my family about my JR1 so everyone was asking me about Harvard nonstop... leave me alooooone I got into other great schools but no one seems to notice and it just added to my disappointment :( oh well hopefully we'll all be in the next batch..
yeah this is the worst. i made the mistake of telling my parents i got the JR1 and that historically the majority of people getting those get in. i was asked a whole bunch about when i'm gonna hear back, when i'm gonna get in, etc. i probably should have downplayed the JR1 to my parents (or not told them at all) so that it wouldn't get built up into a big deal that i was "probably going to get into harvard!!!" makes it a bit tougher to take when everyone keeps reminding you about it
:( Sorry to hear those stories. I didn't tell my parents about the JR1 statistics, since it would make it that much more disappointing for them if I ended up in the purgatory of the unlucky 300 or so. From which I am confident that our JR1-but-no-JR2 club here is going to escape! :D

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
nattybro wrote:That sounds like a really quick turnaround from Submitted to Under Review. Anyone else go under review only 2 days after submitting? I guess all I can really draw from this thread is that there's no sense trying to estimate when I might start hoping to hear about a JR1. The timing seems to differ so much between applicants.
I submitted on 11/17 and it's not under review yet :( How depressing.
Don't be depressed; it took me about two weeks from submission to under review. :)

agathon360

New

Post by agathon360 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:25 pm

I submitted on 11/14 and the online status checker still says "application received." Is this normal? Can sometime tell me what, more or less, is the next step in the process? When should I get worried if I haven't heard about an interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:30 pm

agathon360 wrote:I submitted on 11/14 and the online status checker still says "application received." Is this normal? Can sometime tell me what, more or less, is the next step in the process? When should I get worried if I haven't heard about an interview?
You are more than fine. If you have sent LSAC two letters of recommendation, they will send your report electronically, HLS will eventually process the report, and your status checker will say that the application is complete. Some time afterwards, it will say that your file is under review. Some time after that point, JR will contact you for the interview.

Since the volume of applications is increasing at this point, it's hard to estimate the duration of this entire process. But let's just say that it would have been very, very fast for him to have contacted you by now, especially if you consider the holiday.

I think that a pre-Christmas JR1 is likely, but I wouldn't be discouraged if you don't receive one until the New Year.

agathon360

New

Post by agathon360 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:33 pm

So the status checker will say my application is complete (and then under review) well before I receive an email saying I have gone complete (which is about when the interview requests have gone out, it seems)?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:38 pm

agathon360 wrote:So the status checker will say my application is complete (and then under review) well before I receive an email saying I have gone complete (which is about when the interview requests have gone out, it seems)?
I received the "application complete" email on the morning after I did the interview, so don't expect one of those until after your JR1. (Some have suggested that receiving the "application complete" email without a JR1 request portends bad news for that reason, but this opinion is very much unproven.) My status checker briefly did say "application complete" before "under review"; however, don't be surprised if they skip that step at this point and go straight to "under review" from "application received." I probably wouldn't have noticed the "application complete" if I hadn't been religiously checking the status checker, since it lasted there only for a very short time.

frankjones

New

Post by frankjones » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:39 pm

managamy wrote:
agathon360 wrote:I submitted on 11/14 and the online status checker still says "application received." Is this normal? Can sometime tell me what, more or less, is the next step in the process? When should I get worried if I haven't heard about an interview?
You are more than fine. If you have sent LSAC two letters of recommendation, they will send your report electronically, HLS will eventually process the report, and your status checker will say that the application is complete. Some time afterwards, it will say that your file is under review. Some time after that point, JR will contact you for the interview.

Since the volume of applications is increasing at this point, it's hard to estimate the duration of this entire process. But let's just say that it would have been very, very fast for him to have contacted you by now, especially if you consider the holiday.

I think that a pre-Christmas JR1 is likely, but I wouldn't be discouraged if you don't receive one until the New Year.

Wait a sec...This makes it sound a bit like everyone gets a JR1. That's not the case, is it? I have a 171/3.96 and was hoping* I'd get a JR1, but by no means expecting one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:41 pm

lz06 wrote:Crackberry why do you say that this monday is a potential JR2 day? I thought last year on LSN the next batch wasn't until 12/8 or something
Yeah my mistake. I was going off memory and thought 12/1 saw some acceptances last year. In reality, only one person reported 12/1 as their decision date. You are right that 12/8 was the next big batch, which this year would equate to next Monday, 12/7.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 pm

frankjones wrote:
Wait a sec...This makes it sound a bit like everyone gets a JR1. That's not the case, is it? I have a 171/3.96 and was hoping* I'd get a JR1, but by no means expecting one.
No, that is definitely NOT the case, at least not in the past. JR did say that they are trying to do more interviews than usual this year, but in the past they have interviewed less than 20% of the total applicants.

If your undergraduate institution is a respected one, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you got a JR1.

frankjones

New

Post by frankjones » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:46 pm

managamy wrote:
frankjones wrote:
No, that is definitely NOT the case, at least not in the past. JR did say that they are trying to do more interviews than usual this year, but in the past they have interviewed less than 20% of the total applicants.

If your undergraduate institution is a respected one, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you got a JR1.
Hehe, well I guess that depends on what you mean by "respected." :). It's pretty average, to be honest. Mid-range quality Jesuit school. Crossing my fingers!

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:27 am

managamy wrote:
frankjones wrote:

interviewing more people doesn't necessarily entail a larger % of applicants though, since there is a pretty sizeable increase in HLS apps this year.

but even if the percentage of applicants stays roughly the same, it would seem to entail that the % chance that one has from moving from JR1 to JR2 decreases, since the overall number of applicants accepted would stay roughly the same (since that is, there isn't some increase in seats at harvard that i know of).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:33 am

Interviewing more people doesn't necessarily entail a larger % of applicants though, since there is a pretty sizeable increase in HLS apps this year.

but even if the percentage of applicants stays roughly the same, it would seem to entail that the % chance that one has from moving from JR1 to JR2 decreases, since the overall number of applicants accepted would stay roughly the same (since that is, there isn't some increase in seats at harvard that i know of).

Correct; I'm glad that you mentioned this point so that JR1-but-no-JR2 people don't feel completely dismal.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:37 am

managamy wrote:

Interviewing more people doesn't necessarily entail a larger % of applicants though, since there is a pretty sizeable increase in HLS apps this year.

Correct; I'm glad that you mentioned this point so that JR1-but-no-JR2 people don't feel completely dismal.
actually, i'm hoping to become one of those people. :(

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:42 am

skip james wrote:
managamy wrote:

actually, i'm hoping to become one of those people. :(
The comment meant those who get JR1s but never get JR2s. I'm extremely sorry that you misunderstood. As I said before, though, I'm confident concerning the chances of current TLSers in Harvard limbo to escape to Paradise!

Joan Manuel Serrat

New

Post by Joan Manuel Serrat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:42 am

TS2 !!!!!!!!!!

nostalgias never feel so good as it do today.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:53 am

managamy wrote:The comment meant those who get JR1s but never get JR2s. I'm extremely sorry that you misunderstood. As I said before, though, I'm confident concerning the chances of current TLSers in Harvard limbo to escape to Paradise!
i hope your optimism is imbued with some magical powers.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 am

Joan Manuel Serrat wrote:TS2 !!!!!!!!!!

You mean JR2? Congratulations!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:55 am

skip james wrote:
managamy wrote:The comment meant those who get JR1s but never get JR2s. I'm extremely sorry that you misunderstood. As I said before, though, I'm confident concerning the chances of current TLSers in Harvard limbo to escape to Paradise!
I think that everyone who participates in this forum must be more motivated, ambitious, and dedicated than the average applicant, or they wouldn't be spending their time here in the first place.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:37 am

managamy wrote:
skip james wrote:
I think that everyone who participates in this forum must be more motivated, ambitious, and dedicated than the average applicant, or they wouldn't be spending their time here in the first place.
that's just a nice way of saying 'obsessive'. :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:06 am

skip james wrote:
managamy wrote:
skip james wrote:
that's just a nice way of saying 'obsessive'. :?
Obsession is a good thing concerning law schools, I think, since it usually results in extra effort.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:51 pm

This is a hilarious post.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:52 pm

crackberry wrote:

lol its JMS, he's here purely for our entertainment

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:22 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
crackberry wrote:

lol its JMS, he's here purely for our entertainment
That's what I figured.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”