Accepted early decision at UVA

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:22 pm

..

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby Philo38 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Should I be receiving an email at some point about my acceptance, or is it just the phone call?

I would like some tangible evidence just so I know i didn't just dream it up.


Ha ha! I feel the exact same way.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:28 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Should I be receiving an email at some point about my acceptance, or is it just the phone call?

I would like some tangible evidence just so I know i didn't just dream it up.

You'll start getting financial aid and ASD info emails in January, but otherwise, nope (I still have my acceptance letter filed away though).


I think we get a packet this year though, unlike last year.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby Philo38 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:31 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Should I be receiving an email at some point about my acceptance, or is it just the phone call?

I would like some tangible evidence just so I know i didn't just dream it up.

You'll start getting financial aid and ASD info emails in January, but otherwise, nope (I still have my acceptance letter filed away though).


I think we get a packet this year though, unlike last year.


I was told to expect a packet.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:35 pm

..

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:44 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Should I be receiving an email at some point about my acceptance, or is it just the phone call?

I would like some tangible evidence just so I know i didn't just dream it up.

You'll start getting financial aid and ASD info emails in January, but otherwise, nope (I still have my acceptance letter filed away though).


I think we get a packet this year though, unlike last year.

You specifically asked about an acceptance email. :wink:


You are correct sir. :(

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:22 am

Can someone who was accepted ED detail what actually comes in the mail?

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:27 am

It's a folder with an acceptance letter, charlottesville brochure, and several pages on various aspects of UVA law - programs, concentrations, Virginia Lawyer, etc.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 am

dgouzoul wrote:It's a folder with an acceptance letter, charlottesville brochure, and several pages on various aspects of UVA law - programs, concentrations, Virginia Lawyer, etc.


This sounds like the folders that were given out during ASD. So I got one, I just had to come here to get it. :?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:12 pm

Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby rondemarino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.


Any idea on what might have been responsible?

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.



Might have been a little late for your stats, when did you apply?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:31 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.


Did you do a GPA addendum or give anything in a PS/DS that explained the low GPA? Any WE?

User avatar
thepunisher24
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Submitted my ED app today, hoping to join in here soon!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:07 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.



Might have been a little late for your stats, when did you apply?


11/3, got my decision about a week later.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.


Did you do a GPA addendum or give anything in a PS/DS that explained the low GPA? Any WE?


No GPA addendum, but my degree was in engineering. My transcript was fairly consistent (with my first year being higher than the last three due to gen eds that were easy A's) so I couldn't bullshit anything. About a year of WE.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Am I the onl 171+ to get waitlisted? 2.8/176 out of state. Dam I suck. I'm guessing its a soft rejection. Damn now Northwestern is my only T14 hope.



Might have been a little late for your stats, when did you apply?


11/3, got my decision about a week later.


If you had applied in September I think you would have had gotten in. If you really want to go to UVA you could wait a year and ED as soon as applications come out next year. I really think if was just too late in the game and they already had all the super splitters that they needed.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby rondemarino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:If you had applied in September I think you would have had gotten in. If you really want to go to UVA you could wait a year and ED as soon as applications come out next year. I really think if was just too late in the game and they already had all the super splitters that they needed.


This reasoning is based on what exactly?

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:12 pm

rondemarino wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:If you had applied in September I think you would have had gotten in. If you really want to go to UVA you could wait a year and ED as soon as applications come out next year. I really think if was just too late in the game and they already had all the super splitters that they needed.


This reasoning is based on what exactly?


Looking at LSN, they have never not accepted someone ED who had a 170+ LSAT, just last year they took a 2.76/171 who applied in October. They also took a few 3.9+/ 162ish LSATs who applied in September, while rejecting a 4.0/164 who applied in October. The evidence is not conclusive enough to say applying earlier would have been the difference, but there is definitely evidence that could be offered in support of that conclusion.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby rondemarino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:20 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:If you had applied in September I think you would have had gotten in. If you really want to go to UVA you could wait a year and ED as soon as applications come out next year. I really think if was just too late in the game and they already had all the super splitters that they needed.


This reasoning is based on what exactly?


Looking at LSN, they have never not accepted someone ED who had a 170+ LSAT, just last year they took a 2.76/171 who applied in October. They also took a few 3.9+/ 162ish LSATs who applied in September, while rejecting a 4.0/164 who applied in October. The evidence is not conclusive enough to say applying earlier would have been the difference, but there is definitely evidence that could be offered in support of that conclusion.


I'm not seeing the 4.0/164 (link, UVA ED, non-URM). Also, high GPA splitters are easier to find than high LSAT splitter for obvious reasons. Still, if what you say is true, it does lend credence.

EDIT: the 4.0/164 rejected was from this year and it was an international GPA, which is probably not reportable the way US ones are.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:26 pm

rondemarino wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:If you had applied in September I think you would have had gotten in. If you really want to go to UVA you could wait a year and ED as soon as applications come out next year. I really think if was just too late in the game and they already had all the super splitters that they needed.


This reasoning is based on what exactly?


Looking at LSN, they have never not accepted someone ED who had a 170+ LSAT, just last year they took a 2.76/171 who applied in October. They also took a few 3.9+/ 162ish LSATs who applied in September, while rejecting a 4.0/164 who applied in October. The evidence is not conclusive enough to say applying earlier would have been the difference, but there is definitely evidence that could be offered in support of that conclusion.


I'm not seeing the 4.0/164 (link, UVA ED, non-URM). Also, high GPA splitters are easier to find than high LSAT splitter for obvious reasons. Still, if what you say is true, it does lend credence.


Sorry this "They also took a few 3.9+/ 162ish LSATs who applied in September, while rejecting a 4.0/164 who applied in October" was meant to be about this year. They rejected a 4.0/164 who applied November 7, while taking several others with worse stats who applied earlier. I really think it might just be an example of why getting your apps in early is important.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/str1der
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Jozabad43

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby rondemarino » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Yo, see my added EDIT. That 4.0 was an international GPA.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:30 pm

rondemarino wrote:Yo, see my added EDIT. That 4.0 was an international GPA.


True, but I still have a hard time believing that they would have WL him if he had applied the day apps came out. I guess something could have been wrong with his app. I dunno maybe I am too optimistic, but I just don't see UVA turning a 176 ED down on September 1st.

Edit:
Also, this guy. 2.95/174 accepted ED in September.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sdedalus/jd

stringerbell
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby stringerbell » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:32 pm

How are you informed if you are put on the waiting list at UVA? Is it via a telephone call? Or, e-mail?

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Accepted early decision at UVA

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

stringerbell wrote:How are you informed if you are put on the waiting list at UVA? Is it via a telephone call? Or, e-mail?


I think its an email/status checker update, but I don't have first hand experience.

What are your stats?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: csess, eck456, fancyfluter22, finaciardi, Google Adsense [Bot], Houzy, mcvizz, premalone, ramp_999, smartmoon, VapidP, xn3345 and 19 guests