In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zoey15
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:12 am

Re: In at Duke!

Postby zoey15 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:40 pm

this is obviously me being obsessive, but im wondering if people think duke counts weekends in the ten-day-turnaround for PT? im going away for the week of thanksgiving, and wow, id love some duke love to give thanks for....

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:44 pm

zoey15 wrote:this is obviously me being obsessive, but im wondering if people think duke counts weekends in the ten-day-turnaround for PT? im going away for the week of thanksgiving, and wow, id love some duke love to give thanks for....


10 business days

User avatar
Lermontov
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Lermontov » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:49 pm

Any non-priority track admits yet?

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby CyLaw » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:52 pm

Lermontov wrote:Any non-priority track admits yet?


I believe there was one Non-PT, Non-ED admit a long time ago, but none since the new flood of PTers after the Sept LSAT.

User avatar
dudester
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby dudester » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:57 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
zoey15 wrote:this is obviously me being obsessive, but im wondering if people think duke counts weekends in the ten-day-turnaround for PT? im going away for the week of thanksgiving, and wow, id love some duke love to give thanks for....


10 business days


I think it's 10 calendar not business days right now because they've been sending out decisions over the weekend (both Saturday and Sunday)...plus I got my decision on the 10th calendar day.

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
dudester wrote::| ...Priority Reserve... :|


Damn, dudester...sorry to hear that. What were your stats? Are you still in UG, by chance? Sometimes they hold apps for fall grades.


Thanks, Tang. I got solid stats and might be open to sharing them a bit later in the cycle. Not sure how many people are on the PR list this early.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby 02082010 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:07 pm

My file has been ready for review for nearly two weeks. Just get to it already.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm

dear duke,
today marks a full month since I went under review (non-PT). I check up on you every day, but you never call. why are you playing hard-to-get? I want you to be my first - it will be magical.

User avatar
onwisconsin25
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:09 am

Re: In at Duke!

Postby onwisconsin25 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:56 pm

GargamelITT wrote:dear duke,
today marks a full month since I went under review (non-PT). I check up on you every day, but you never call. why are you playing hard-to-get? I want you to be my first - it will be magical.


i'll sign on to this as well. it's been almost a month since I last heard from you. I thought our first date was wonderful but apparently you didn't feel the same. Was i sweating too much? Was there something in my teeth? I just want you back.

User avatar
jdcballer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby jdcballer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:30 pm

My status just went to "decision made; you will be notified soon" and I'm PT. Any idea how long from when the status says that until I'm actually notified of the decision?

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:31 pm

jdcballer wrote:My status just went to "decision made; you will be notified soon" and I'm PT. Any idea how long from when the status says that until I'm actually notified of the decision?


You should get the email sometime today, but it can be a few hours or more.

User avatar
jdcballer
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby jdcballer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:38 pm

VoidSix wrote:Well, I don't think I will end up at Duke, but because I had a lot of downtime after my acceptance (accepted 9/18) I have researched Duke and Durham. For instance, someone was talking about their dual degree programs and how you don't have to take the GRE. As someone who was planning on taking the GRE in January and applying to JD / PhD programs, that's pretty appealing. Also, due to the type of work I want to do, I've talked to professors at my school that have attended Duke and decided that with equal money, I'd rather attend Duke than Virginia and perhaps Penn. So who knows. If I get rejected from HYSCCNB, I'm there! ;)


I'm applying to JD/Phd with Philosophy this cycle and I had to take the GRE for Phil, maybe its different for other departments though...

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Emma. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:14 pm

Crazy. Just heard from Duke, they want me to come for an interview before they conclude their evaluation. WTF?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby crackberry » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:22 pm

emrose wrote:Crazy. Just heard from Duke, they want me to come for an interview before they conclude their evaluation. WTF?

They've been known to do this. Partly to gauge your interest (if you're willing to go to campus you've got to be interested) and partly because they actually want to talk.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Emma. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

crackberry wrote:
emrose wrote:Crazy. Just heard from Duke, they want me to come for an interview before they conclude their evaluation. WTF?

They've been known to do this. Partly to gauge your interest (if you're willing to go to campus you've got to be interested) and partly because they actually want to talk.


Kind of a pain in the ass version of YP? It sucks to have to plan a trip without any idea whether they'll admit me. I'm broke!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28005
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Kronk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:44 pm

emrose wrote:
crackberry wrote:
emrose wrote:Crazy. Just heard from Duke, they want me to come for an interview before they conclude their evaluation. WTF?

They've been known to do this. Partly to gauge your interest (if you're willing to go to campus you've got to be interested) and partly because they actually want to talk.


Kind of a pain in the ass version of YP? It sucks to have to plan a trip without any idea whether they'll admit me. I'm broke!


Did they address what to do if you have no money? If not, perhaps email them asking them for a video conference interview or phone interview because you can't afford a trip. See how that goes. Otherwise, F Duke.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Emma. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 pm

VoidSix wrote:
emrose wrote:
crackberry wrote:
emrose wrote:Crazy. Just heard from Duke, they want me to come for an interview before they conclude their evaluation. WTF?

They've been known to do this. Partly to gauge your interest (if you're willing to go to campus you've got to be interested) and partly because they actually want to talk.


Kind of a pain in the ass version of YP? It sucks to have to plan a trip without any idea whether they'll admit me. I'm broke!


Did they address what to do if you have no money? If not, perhaps email them asking them for a video conference interview or phone interview because you can't afford a trip. See how that goes. Otherwise, F Duke.


No, they didn't, (and I don't have any money :oops: ). I have an LSAC waiver so that is a pretty clear sign of my financial situation. I'm going to email them and explain this I guess, but I don't want to say that I CAN'T come. I just want them to consider that it would actually be a LOT of money for me (well, a lot of extra dollars in visa debt). If they are dicks about it I will probably just blow the whole thing off, which makes me pretty sad. Seriously though, a few hundred dollars (at least) for an indeterminate chance of admission seems like not the best deal right now.

louboutin
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 am

Re: In at Duke!

Postby louboutin » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:54 pm

herodotus wrote:Thanks a lot. I went complete on Oct 28, went under review on Nov 3, and heard back about 9pm last night. So that's about 9 days on my count.


PT, been under review since Oct. 30. but I made a HUGE mistake on my application so I already know I'm most likely getting a rejection. this confirms it.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28005
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Kronk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:58 pm

lou told Duke he was very impressed by the clinical programs at New York University and would be honored to attend.

User avatar
toolshed
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby toolshed » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:02 pm

emrose wrote:
No, they didn't, (and I don't have any money :oops: ). I have an LSAC waiver so that is a pretty clear sign of my financial situation. I'm going to email them and explain this I guess, but I don't want to say that I CAN'T come. I just want them to consider that it would actually be a LOT of money for me (well, a lot of extra dollars in visa debt). If they are dicks about it I will probably just blow the whole thing off, which makes me pretty sad. Seriously though, a few hundred dollars (at least) for an indeterminate chance of admission seems like not the best deal right now.


That sucks. I have to believe that they will make some kind of accomodation (especially noting that you have the LSAC waiver). Definitely update this thread with the outcome.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Emma. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:04 pm

VoidSix wrote:lou told Duke he was very impressed by the clinical programs at New York University and would be honored to attend.


For realz? :oops:

Philaw
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Philaw » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm applying to JD/Phd with Philosophy this cycle and I had to take the GRE for Phil, maybe its different for other departments though...


I'm doing the same thing, same joint degree. I take the GRE tomorrow. *Cross fingers* Also applied at UT joint degree JD/Ph.D philosophy. ED at Duke though.

User avatar
UFMatt
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby UFMatt » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Philaw wrote:
I'm applying to JD/Phd with Philosophy this cycle and I had to take the GRE for Phil, maybe its different for other departments though...


I'm doing the same thing, same joint degree. I take the GRE tomorrow. *Cross fingers* Also applied at UT joint degree JD/Ph.D philosophy. ED at Duke though.


Compared with the LSAT, the GRE is a joke. You also get your score immediately after taking. Good luck.

urban_cdn
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:44 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby urban_cdn » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:31 pm

can someone tell me exactly what the difference is between priority reserve and waitlist? is there a difference haha?

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Emma. » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:34 pm

urban_cdn wrote:can someone tell me exactly what the difference is between priority reserve and waitlist? is there a difference haha?


Isn't priority reserve more like being held for regular decision? It definitely isn't a waitlist.

User avatar
ChildPlease
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: In at Duke!

Postby ChildPlease » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:35 pm

For the people in already at Duke, did you write a why duke essay?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, Bing [Bot], DoYouEvenTLS, Long shot hero, ohgosh, smashbash, texteach and 16 guests