In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dk8

Re: In at Duke!

Postby dk8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:44 pm

davipatr wrote:
jks289 wrote:Waitlist email today. Will do everything I can to get off it, but it looks like the list is huge and filled with great numbers. Is there a Duke WL thread someone can link for me? I tried to search but didn't find it.

I have heard a rumor that the WL is larger than the entering class. It sucks but I think it is actually true.

and there is two of them. the PR seemed pretty large too.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 pm

davipatr wrote:
jks289 wrote:Waitlist email today. Will do everything I can to get off it, but it looks like the list is huge and filled with great numbers. Is there a Duke WL thread someone can link for me? I tried to search but didn't find it.

I have heard a rumor that the WL is larger than the entering class. It sucks but I think it is actually true.

The same source told me that s/he was very confident that they wouldn't be over-enrolling this year (they went over by 15 last year), so that makes your rumor sound believable.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Unsure if this can be substantiated in any way, but I hear some rumors about the entering class having baller numbers floating around too...not sure on the truth of the matter...but that's pretty cool.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Unsure if this can be substantiated in any way, but I hear some rumors about the entering class having baller numbers floating around too...not sure on the truth of the matter...but that's pretty cool.

Curious to see what happens to the rankings. It seems like a lot of schools are in line to increase medians and reduce yield. Curious to see if this is uniformly across the boards or will be concentrated within certain schools causing a massive ranking reorder.

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:18 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Unsure if this can be substantiated in any way, but I hear some rumors about the entering class having baller numbers floating around too...not sure on the truth of the matter...but that's pretty cool.

with a 10-20% average increase in applicants this year, I feel like every law school is going to have an entering class with baller numbers. Either way, ill take that as a compliment. 8)

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 pm

pelmen74 wrote:

with a 10-20% average increase in applicants this year, I feel like every law school is going to have an entering class with baller numbers. Either way, ill take that as a compliment. 8)

Wow, apps went up that much eh? Dang

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:37 pm

pelmen74 wrote:

wait, what? I've consistently heard that applications are up at least 10-20%, but applicants are supposed to be flat. Certainly that was what was said at Duke this weekend (something like applications up 20% but total number of LS applicants up by 3%)

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:

wait, what? I've consistently heard that applications are up at least 10-20%, but applicants are supposed to be flat. Certainly that was what was said at Duke this weekend (something like applications up 20% but total number of LS applicants up by 3%)

Can you clarify what you mean? Are you saying that a 3% increase in applicants accounts for 10-20% more applications? Is everyone applying to at least 3x more schools?

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 pm

pelmen74 wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:

can you clarify what you mean? are you saying that 10-20% increase in application for only 3% more applicants? is everyone applying to at least 3x more schools?

well, not 3x more, but yeah - the prevailing theory is that ppl are more nervous and cagey so they're throwing more apps out there. Schools may have good-looking classes now but as the WL action picks up (and there may be quite a bit) we'll find out who actually made significant gains in quality.

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Oh wow...that gives me some hope for all of those waitlists that I am on. Thanks!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 am

Our class will be gunning for yours. Good luck :D

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Gun all you want, I'm staying out of the way. I'll be a 3L by the time you all get a crack at me, and with any luck I'll be in GPA-protect/already-have-a-job-and-don't-care mode by then.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Gun all you want, I'm staying out of the way. I'll be a 3L by the time you all get a crack at me, and with any luck I'll be in GPA-protect/already-have-a-job-and-don't-care mode by then.

Oh sorry, thought you were a 1L. I can't speak for everyone but I know I'm not that impressive actually lol.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:06 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Oh sorry, thought you were a 1L. I can't speak for everyone but I know I'm not that impressive actually lol.

Haha I am a 1L, but if you're comin in next year you won't have classes with me until you're a 2L :mrgreen:

pelmen74

Postby pelmen74 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Quick question, I just got a scholarship form received email for the second time in 2 weeks, and its the exact same email. Probably doesn't mean anything, correct?

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:46 am

On Status Checker it says my scholarship decision was mailed 3/26. Hopefully that means I'll get it in the mail today.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 am

existenz wrote:On Status Checker it says my scholarship decision was mailed 3/26. Hopefully that means I'll get it in the mail today.

Good luck!
--ImageRemoved--

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 am

I just emailed them about my application (complete since 1/26) and told them that all the school's I've been accepted to want a decision by 3/15. They told me to expect a decision by the end of April..

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 am

fenderjsm88 wrote:I just emailed them about my application (complete since 1/26) and told them that all the school's I've been accepted to want a decision by 3/15. They told me to expect a decision by the end of April..

Did they back check your situation or was that just the general line?

terpette

Postby terpette » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 am

MarkRenton wrote:
fenderjsm88 wrote:I just emailed them about my application (complete since 1/26) and told them that all the school's I've been accepted to want a decision by 3/15. They told me to expect a decision by the end of April..

Did they back check your situation or was that just the general line?

I was told this too....or more that they hoped to finish giving out decisions by the end of April. I'm fine with waiting, but if I get rejected after such a long wait, I'm going to cry for 3 days. ....maybe more.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:41 am

I'm guessing you mean 4/15? At this point I would deposit on places you've been accepted to on the last day instead of waiting for Duke.

fenderjsm88

Postby fenderjsm88 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:04 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

I'm guessing you mean 4/15? At this point I would deposit on places you've been accepted to on the last day instead of waiting for Duke.

Yeah, 4/15. Actually, I'm almost a sure rejection (or best case, WL) at Duke; I only applied because they sent me a fee waiver. It would be nice for them to send me my rejection in a timely manner, though. Luckily, one of the schools I was accepted into with $ allows you to commit on 4/15 without a down payment, so that gives me the convenient option of riding out some WLs without wasting a ton of money.

idiothek

Postby idiothek » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:26 pm

still no word on my fin aid package. they received my form 3/1. anyone else waiting it out as well?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:18 pm

idiothek wrote:still no word on my fin aid package. they received my form 3/1. anyone else waiting it out as well?

It'll probably arrive shortly, but you could try calling the financial aid office. They'll tell you straight up if they've mailed it yet.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 pm

does Duke have a "Reserve List" and a "Waitlist?"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”