In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
saturnine

Re: In at Duke!

Postby saturnine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 pm

meowmeow wrote:Just sent in my LOCI since I am on Priority reserve. Any ideas on my chances of getting accepted from PR and when i might hear back on the final decision?

I heard within three days. I'm in! So excited! Good luck to you, too.

bubbagump

Postby bubbagump » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Poprox, you are probably right. My numbers (173/3.6x) seem destined for maybe some money, but something smaller than the 90k we've been seeing.

ilovelamp18

Postby ilovelamp18 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Hey all, hoping for a little info. My status checker just went File Under Review (2/22), an update from the only other one I saw (File Ready for Review (1/14). Is this an indication of anything? Thanks for the help.

saturnine

Postby saturnine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:34 pm

ilovelamp18 wrote:Hey all, hoping for a little info. My status checker just went File Under Review (2/22), an update from the only other one I saw (File Ready for Review (1/14). Is this an indication of anything? Thanks for the help.

I would say it sounds like they are actually reviewing your file, versus it being ready to be reviewed. Um...

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm

saturnine wrote:
meowmeow wrote:Just sent in my LOCI since I am on Priority reserve. Any ideas on my chances of getting accepted from PR and when i might hear back on the final decision?

Seriously? Did you just email your LOCI?

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 pm

scholarship info came in the mail -- $54k plus a $6k dual degree stipend. has anyone has success already negotiating these up?

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:39 pm

36k scholarship... came Friday but I did not get home until today... withdrawing. Michigan likes me more!

ilovelamp18

Postby ilovelamp18 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:39 pm

saturnine wrote:
ilovelamp18 wrote:Hey all, hoping for a little info. My status checker just went File Under Review (2/22), an update from the only other one I saw (File Ready for Review (1/14). Is this an indication of anything? Thanks for the help.

I would say it sounds like they are actually reviewing your file, versus it being ready to be reviewed. Um...

Very helpful... thank you.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Could someone tell me when Duke's ASW is scheduled this year? Thanks.

saturnine

Postby saturnine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:43 pm

meowmeow wrote:
saturnine wrote:

Yes. Seriously.
I think the reason I was put on priority reserve was because I didn't write the "Why Duke" essay. In my LOCI I explained why I was interested in Duke.
If you are in the same boat as me I'd recommend doing exactly that. If you already wrote "Why Duke," maybe emphasize some additional points. There's another topic in this forum about the Priority Reserve list; the impression I get is that priority reserve is mostly people who just have a minor barrier to being admitted, and if you can remove that barrier you're in.

saturnine

Postby saturnine » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Oh wait, sorry, I missed that you already sent yours in.

poprox

Postby poprox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:49 pm

bubbagump wrote:Poprox, you are probably right. My numbers (173/3.6x) seem destined for maybe some money, but something smaller than the 90k we've been seeing.

we have nearly identical numbers. I'm hoping for 45k, but not expecting anything higher, due to low-ish gpa.

bubbagump

Postby bubbagump » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 pm

poprox wrote:
bubbagump wrote:Poprox, you are probably right. My numbers (173/3.6x) seem destined for maybe some money, but something smaller than the 90k we've been seeing.

we have nearly identical numbers. I'm hoping for 45k, but not expecting anything higher, due to low-ish gpa.

You mean 45k is what I should be hoping for? Or is your gpa not the 3.9 listed in your profile? If you are 173, 3.9, I'd imagine youre hoping for a lot more. If youre more in the 3.6 range, random question: were you priority track? i wasn't, don't know if that affects anything.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:14 pm

90k... I'm pleased, but I don't think it's enough to sway me from the Darrow, if I decide to follow the $$. I'll think about it for a few days but probs withdraw by the end of the week.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 pm

saturnine wrote:
meowmeow wrote:
saturnine wrote:

Yes. Seriously.
I think the reason I was put on priority reserve was because I didn't write the "Why Duke" essay. In my LOCI I explained why I was interested in Duke.
If you are in the same boat as me I'd recommend doing exactly that. If you already wrote "Why Duke," maybe emphasize some additional points. There's another topic in this forum about the Priority Reserve list; the impression I get is that priority reserve is mostly people who just have a minor barrier to being admitted, and if you can remove that barrier you're in.

Thanks. I also did not write a Why Duke and I kinda wrote one in the email to the dean who sent me my PR email. He responded like an hour later with:

Thanks very much for your note. I appreciate knowing about your very strong interest in Duke. We will place this letter in your file so that it is available to us as we continue the review of your application.

Thank you for your patience during this lengthy admissions review process

Hopefully this does the trick...FINGERS CROSSED

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 pm

saturnine wrote:
meowmeow wrote:
saturnine wrote:

Yes. Seriously.

I was put on PR in mid-January and sent my LOCI in immediately. Have yet to hear anything from Duke :? Then again, my numbers are kind of lowish for Duke (see profile for numebrs). Should I send another email to Dean Hoye reiterating my interest? I have already sent Why Duke with my original LOCI, but don't have anything major to update them on.

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:36k scholarship... came Friday but I did not get home until today... withdrawing. Michigan likes me more!

Why don't you email Duke and ask for more, I am pretty sure they would at least match Mich, although you do seem like your mind is made.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:12 pm

I was put on PR in mid-January and sent my LOCI in immediately. Have yet to hear anything from Duke :? Then again, my numbers are kind of lowish for Duke (see profile for numebrs). Should I send another email to Dean Hoye reiterating my interest? I have already sent Why Duke with my original LOCI, but don't have anything major to update them on.[/quote]

Did most people get a response right away?

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Has anyone else with a 12/3 scholarship form received date (I was accepted 11/23) not had a scholarship decision mailed?
Last edited by Amelie on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:14 pm

maggiebre wrote:Has anyone else with a 12/3 scholarship form received date (I was accepted 11/23) not had a scholarship decision mailed?

Yes. I was received 12/3 and was in the first mailing of scholarships.

poprox

Postby poprox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:46 pm

bubbagump wrote:
poprox wrote:

You mean 45k is what I should be hoping for? Or is your gpa not the 3.9 listed in your profile? If you are 173, 3.9, I'd imagine youre hoping for a lot more. If youre more in the 3.6 range, random question: were you priority track? i wasn't, don't know if that affects anything.

I think 30-45k is reasonable for us, considering Duke seems to be more high-GPA friendly when it comes to large $$$ offers (ppl with only a 169 are getting very large offers, as long as their GPA is 3.8+)

Yes, my LSAC gpa is in the 3.6 range unfortunately. My degree gpa is 3.90, but that doesn't mean anything in this game.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:
maggiebre wrote:Has anyone else with a 12/3 scholarship form received date (I was accepted 11/23) not had a scholarship decision mailed?

Yes. I was received 12/3 and was in the first mailing of scholarships.

Hmm.. it's making me nervous that I haven't heard back yet.

Mordecai.

lalablondie28

Postby lalablondie28 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:40 pm

$67,500 scholarship offer. SO excited. I really really liked georgetown but its going to be hard to pass this up :)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

poprox wrote: (ppl with only a 169 are getting very large offers, as long as their GPA is 3.8+)

You don't have to talk about us when were standing right here and all :( .

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”