In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
toolshed

Re: In at Duke!

Postby toolshed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
toolshed wrote:Here is a simple test to see whether a relative attending a school will help your chance of admission:

1. Does said relative's name adorn a building, monument, or scholarship for said school?
2. Does said relative have a picture with the school's dean/president, shaking hands over a giant novelty check?

If the answer to either of the above is NO, then it matters not.

Either or both? I would think just donating a building would suffice, as not everyone needs to brag about their donation by breaking the construction ground or using a giant novelty check. A building is a much more classy way of saying 'I am better than you' than the #2 option, IMO.

Point taken. Edited to reflect such.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:38 pm

toolshed wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
toolshed wrote:Here is a simple test to see whether a relative attending a school will help your chance of admission:

1. Does said relative's name adorn a building, monument, or scholarship for said school?
2. Does said relative have a picture with the school's dean/president, shaking hands over a giant novelty check?

Either or both? I would think just donating a building would suffice, as not everyone needs to brag about their donation by breaking the construction ground or using a giant novelty check. A building is a much more classy way of saying 'I am better than you' than the #2 option, IMO.

Sorry. I think my avatar is making me much more confrontational.

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Sorry. I think my avatar is making me much more confrontational.

lol. I don't know about confrontational, but it is making me feel woefully physically inadequate...

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 am

Scholarship in the mailbox today after being out of town all weekend. 67,500

squelp

Postby squelp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:07 am

orphanarium wrote:
squelp wrote:I got my scholly offer from Duke: $48k over three years.

Congrats! How long did it take for them to get back to you? And did you apply for consideration for need-based and merit-based $$$?

Thanks! I'm pretty happy although it makes my decision a little bit harder (Duke w/$ vs Chicago). I was accepted back in October I think and I'm abroad so my mom called to let me know about the scholarship a few days ago. I applied for both need-based and merit-based, but I think the $48k is only merit.

blueballa

Postby blueballa » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 am

Just got accepted at Duke a few hours ago via e-mail. UR 2/3. I guess they're finally starting to give out some good news.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:16 am

blueballa wrote:Just got accepted at Duke a few hours ago via e-mail. UR 2/3. I guess they're finally starting to give out some good news.

Congrats on the good news, I love how Duke works though a holiday as important as President's Day.

Also, I'm sorry if I make anyone feel inadequate. You better get used to it if you decide to go to Duke :wink: .

ranovr32

Postby ranovr32 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 am

JetstoRJC wrote:Scholarship in the mailbox today after being out of town all weekend. 67,500

Righteous

...... yeah I just said that

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:56 am

blueballa wrote:Just got accepted at Duke a few hours ago via e-mail. UR 2/3. I guess they're finally starting to give out some good news.

Happy for you...

I found your handle pretty amusing...But I'm not sure I was supposed to.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 am

toolshed wrote:
Kaytee wrote:some schools put A LOT on whether or not a relative attended (George Washington, for example, is HUGE on that, undergrad, other grad programs, whatever, gives you major advantage), I didn't know if duke really cares, each school's different, which is what i was curious about. my entire post was strictly out of curiosity of how much, if at all, other positives would outweigh a lower lsat score...arguing over the use of "deserve" preeeeeetty much derailed that so whatever, I'll guess we'll see thanks.

Here is a simple test to see whether a relative attending a school will help your chance of admission:

If the answer to both of the above is NO, then it matters not.

If you are like this person and your alum/biglaw-partner daddy cut a huge check to the law school in question, then yes, you will be in even with subpar numbers (but you won't do much to convince other people of your lack of entitlement). For regular legacies, I preeeeeetty much doubt it matters enough to outweigh your LSAT score in the admissions process. hth!! :)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dfturner

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 am

Awesome. Stats?

Quine

Postby Quine » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 am

MPMP wrote:

Awesome. Stats?

Why do people always ask this when it's readily available?

He's posted 8 times and his LSAT is in 5 of them. His GPA is in one of them as well.

Look before you ask.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 am

waitlisted- standard.

Honestly, I'm thrilled to finally know and to be able to cross it off my list :)

tm912

Postby tm912 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 am

For anyone hanging around this thread that is interested and went "file ready for review" in early January (1/4 for me), as of yesterday my status has gone to under review...

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:04 am

Jericwithers wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You're making ME feel undeserving

Duke doesn't think so :wink:

Pity acceptance, as evidence by the lack of any scholarship mailing so far. Doesn't matter to me; I'll take what I can get.

If ONLY such a thing existed . . .

wildbillkj

Postby wildbillkj » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am

anyone get a scholarship decision back with no money offered?

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 am

tm912 wrote:For anyone hanging around this thread that is interested and went "file ready for review" in early January (1/4 for me), as of yesterday my status has gone to under review...

Mine too, I was too excited.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagles111

Postby eagles111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am

In last night via email! Very excited.
3.7/176. submitted ~ 12/28, complete sometime early `1/8. UR ~2/2. for all the stats people.
gl to everyone still waiting.

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:09 pm

mctj wrote:
MPMP wrote:

Awesome. Stats?

Why do people always ask this when it's readily available?

He's posted 8 times and his LSAT is in 5 of them. His GPA is in one of them as well.

Look before you ask.

Maybe because your idea of 'readily available' is different from someones who isn't used to hanging around on message boards all day; I did look, just not in the right place. I went to his profile and didn't see any TLS stats or a link to his LSN. Sorry.

Blueballa -- congrats on your cycle thus far. Raising your LSAT like you did and getting into Columbia must feel incredible.

dms87

Postby dms87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Scholarship decision mailed 2/16!

I'm super nervous, as this is likely where I'll end up (unless I somehow get into Harvard).

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 pm

dms87 wrote:Scholarship decision mailed 2/16!

I'm super nervous, as this is likely where I'll end up (unless I somehow get into Harvard).

OMG me too! 12/3 received date, and I am so scared.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

"Dear Jeric,

We have decided to award you $0.00 dollars. In addition, we messed up pretty badly when we accidentally sent you an acceptance email, so we've raised our tuition for special "at-risk" candidates like yourself to a modest $65,000 per year.

hthmf,
Bill Hoye"

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

I have the same received date, but no scholarship decision :(

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm

maggiebre wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I have the same received date, but no scholarship decision :(

Maybe you ARE getting a Mordecai invite.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”