In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
musketeerlady

Re: In at Duke!

Postby musketeerlady » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:59 am

First acceptance at Duke (JD/LLM). It's nice to have one toe in law school :-) Congrats to everyone else!

Curare

Postby Curare » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 am

Hey guys. For those who have heard back from Duke, around what time of day did you hear the decision? & was it through e-mail/phone/mail/carrier pigeon? Thanks :)

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:39 am

Curare wrote:Hey guys. For those who have heard back from Duke, around what time of day did you hear the decision? & was it through e-mail/phone/mail/carrier pigeon? Thanks :)

you have too sweet of an avatar to only have one post

swmass

Postby swmass » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:48 am

I got a phone call from an unknown number on Friday. Thought it was a telemarketer, so I didn't answer.

After checking the voice message, it turned out to be a phone call from Dean Hoye :\

He didn't say why he was calling but said that he would call back early next week. I didn't know what it was about so I went online to check my app status.

It said "Decision made"

This is killing me right now:\ Is it safe to assume that I'm in or would Dean Hoye ever personally call someone to tell him that he is rejected/deferred? No e-mail has been sent out.

FYI, I'm an ED applicant, traditional JD program, although I might try to pick up an MA along the way if possible.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Curare wrote:Hey guys. For those who have heard back from Duke, around what time of day did you hear the decision? & was it through e-mail/phone/mail/carrier pigeon? Thanks :)

I heard via email at 1:45 pm Pacific Time (4:45 Eastern) on a Tuesday.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:10 pm

swmass wrote:I got a phone call from an unknown number on Friday. Thought it was a telemarketer, so I didn't answer.

After checking the voice message, it turned out to be a phone call from Dean Hoye :\

He didn't say why he was calling but said that he would call back early next week. I didn't know what it was about so I went online to check my app status.

It said "Decision made"

This is killing me right now:\ Is it safe to assume that I'm in or would Dean Hoye ever personally call someone to tell him that he is rejected/deferred? No e-mail has been sent out.

FYI, I'm an ED applicant, traditional JD program, although I might try to pick up an MA along the way if possible.

I will be shocked if you're not in.

Curare

Postby Curare » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:21 pm

GargamelITT wrote:

you have too sweet of an avatar to only have one post

thank ye kindly. 2nd post for you.

iYale

Postby iYale » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:23 pm

swmass wrote:I got a phone call from an unknown number on Friday. Thought it was a telemarketer, so I didn't answer.

It said "Decision made"

Flame? So hard to tell these days, so on that note I'll go out on a limb and say "Yes, you're in. Congrats"

Curare

Postby Curare » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:25 pm

crackberry wrote:

I heard via email at 1:45 pm Pacific Time (4:45 Eastern) on a Tuesday.

cool thanks for the answer. 8) I wonder why some people would get phone calls and some people would get e-mails. unrelated, but I also wonder if admission deans work on weekends.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Maybe phone calls are for ED applicants and emails for the rest?

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm one week late with this, but count me in. Got an short and sweet "you're in" email last Sunday, to kick off a week vacation. Nice to have one in the bag. Congrats to all others.

swmass

Postby swmass » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:36 am

I got a phone call from Dean Hoye on Sunday (?).

I was caught off-guard because I wasn't expecting to have him call me back during the weekend. But I answered and he told me that I was in. :) It was pretty hard trying to keep my cool during the phone call.

As an ED applicant, I am now a future Blue Devil :)

Congrats to everyone who got in and best of luck to everyone else still waiting.

R. Hood

Postby R. Hood » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:11 am

babaghanouj wrote:

It said "Decision made"

I will be shocked if you're not in.

You're in buddy.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:05 am

No answer, they want to see my Fall grades before making a decision.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:14 pm

lawblahblah wrote:No answer, they want to see my Fall grades before making a decision.

bummer. i didn't know any adcomms actually even did that. i mean, deferring an application sure, but i didn't know they ever made specific requests to see your next set of grades

Postby 02082010 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:32 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
lawblahblah wrote:No answer, they want to see my Fall grades before making a decision.

bummer. i didn't know any adcomms actually even did that. i mean, deferring an application sure, but i didn't know they ever made specific requests to see your next set of grades

Penn engages in this shameful practice as well.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:42 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
GargamelITT wrote:

Penn engages in this shameful practice as well.

i suppose i really shouldn't be surprised to see "penn" and "shameful practice" in the same sentence

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:54 pm

I just realized that some of the credits from summer classes were not on my transcript, so I am going to send off a new one today and maybe that will be enough. My GPA is not that great but this kind of suprised me. Maybe it's something stange about my transcript I'm just not seeing or LORs, I have no idea.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:35 am

lawblahblah wrote:I just realized that some of the credits from summer classes were not on my transcript, so I am going to send off a new one today and maybe that will be enough. My GPA is not that great but this kind of suprised me. Maybe it's something stange about my transcript I'm just not seeing or LORs, I have no idea.

Do you have a downward grade trend? A strong downward trend?

[Side Note: Great, now I posted in this thread and it will haunt me until I hear back from Duke :( and more so if I am rejected]

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 am

About how long have people spent file under review before getting a decision? Just noticed that's my status, not sure when it changed.

freewheelin

Postby freewheelin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:12 am

Drew2010 wrote:About how long have people spent file under review before getting a decision? Just noticed that's my status, not sure when it changed.

I'm wondering the same thing. I checked today for the first time in about a week and it says "under review". If I remember correctly last week it said "pending review/decision."

I'm not ED so it sounds like it's either Auto-Admit or Auto-Ding coming my way soon. Come on Duke....

onwisconsin25

Postby onwisconsin25 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:42 am

UNDER REVIEW GAAAAAHHHHHH

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:13 pm

Yeah, I've been under review since October 1st (non-ED) and my numbers do not compute to an auto-admit in the slightest.

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:47 pm

freewheelin wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:About how long have people spent file under review before getting a decision? Just noticed that's my status, not sure when it changed.

I'm wondering the same thing. I checked today for the first time in about a week and it says "under review". If I remember correctly last week it said "pending review/decision."

I'm not ED so it sounds like it's either Auto-Admit or Auto-Ding coming my way soon. Come on Duke....

Green Crayons wrote:Yeah, I've been under review since October 1st (non-ED) and my numbers do not compute to an auto-admit in the slightest.

well, i'm guessing they'll take their time if you aren't PT/ED. my understanding is if you aren't PT you'll prob be waiting at least a month or two to hear. i'm non-PT non-ED, under review, and not expecting to hear back any time particularly soon

edit: that's based on what i heard/read earlier in this same thread, but i'm certainly willing to be proven wrong. has anyone non-PT non-ED heard back yet?

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:55 pm

did anyone who is PT request it?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”