In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Belili

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Belili » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Belili wrote:I thought I'd [strike]troll[/strike] point this out.... Must read for Duke applicants. (LinkRemoved)

Sooper kewl! That has never been posted before! Thanks dood!

You are so welcome!!!!!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 pm

dms87 wrote:Haha, sorry guys. That's just what they told me.

People whose letters have been mailed: do you mind posting the date that your scholarship form is listed as received? Mine was received 12/14, and the e-mail said they were going in the order applications were received...

The two people I spoke to said 11/20 and 12/3, which sucks because I too was received at 12/3. I'm afraid that means I won't get anything, but I'm sure it's alphabetical along those dates. I'll let the thread know when mine gets sent.

dms87

Postby dms87 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
dms87 wrote:Haha, sorry guys. That's just what they told me.

People whose letters have been mailed: do you mind posting the date that your scholarship form is listed as received? Mine was received 12/14, and the e-mail said they were going in the order applications were received...

The two people I spoke to said 11/20 and 12/3, which sucks because I too was received at 12/3. I'm afraid that means I won't get anything, but I'm sure it's alphabetical along those dates. I'll let the thread know when mine gets sent.

Oh, appreciate that, thanks. When I spoke to financial aid, they said everyone gets a letter, so don't be discouraged (or encouraged if you get one :? )

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:36 pm

dms87 wrote:Oh, appreciate that, thanks. When I spoke to financial aid, they said everyone gets a letter, so don't be discouraged (or encouraged if you get one :? )

I'm worried that if you don't get any money they still send you a letter but it isn't listed in the status checker. I'm sure that isn't the case though. I hope they send out letters every day instead of waiting every week and doing it in batches.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:30 pm

I'm literally dumbfounded that I submitted my application 16 weeks ago and still have not received any sort of decision whatsoever. Not even a hold. It's absurd. Even with the 25% increase in apps bc I'd bet I was one of the first 1000ppl to submit an application.

This is crazy.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm

D Brooks wrote:I'm literally dumbfounded that I submitted my application 16 weeks ago and still have not received any sort of decision whatsoever. Not even a hold. It's absurd. Even with the 25% increase in apps bc I'd bet I was one of the first 1000ppl to submit an application.

This is crazy.

I submitted 15 weeks ago and I agree that its a bit ridiculous at this point.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Edit: sorry nm read a few posts up. ::headdesk::

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 pm

dakatz wrote:
D Brooks wrote:I'm literally dumbfounded that I submitted my application 16 weeks ago and still have not received any sort of decision whatsoever. Not even a hold. It's absurd. Even with the 25% increase in apps bc I'd bet I was one of the first 1000ppl to submit an application.

This is crazy.

Would I be out of line to call it unprofessional? 16weeks and still no decision? Ridiculous.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

D Brooks wrote:
dakatz wrote:

This is crazy.

Would I be out of line to call it unprofessional? 16weeks and still no decision? Ridiculous.

Probably on the PR List, but they don't want to tell you.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:38 pm

You know UVA is a better school anyway. I might just withdraw.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm

booboo wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
dakatz wrote:

This is crazy.

Probably on the PR List, but they don't want to tell you.

I don't understand why school wait to send out rejections/WLs. Okay, I can understand until waiting until Jan bc you need to get a sense of what the app pool looks like but after that just give out decisions. Sure, applicants may be upset if its unfavorable, but that'll happen regardless. If I'm not admitted outright I'll withdraw so just say us both sometime.

booboo

Postby booboo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 pm

Kronk wrote:You know UVA is a better school anyway. I might just withdraw.

Someone over at Duke Admissions just had a single tear roll down his/her face, and is baffled about it.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm

D Brooks wrote:
dakatz wrote:

This is crazy.

For most people, I would say it is a bit unprofessional. But as a URM applicant myself, I sort of expected the wait. Schools like Duke want to establish their medians and make sure they get the high scorers all locked up. So they save borderline URM candidates like myself until the very end, so that they can hopefully add some diversity to the class after they have established a strong median. I hope they solidify that median real soon, because I am tired of waiting.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 pm

booboo wrote:

Someone over at Duke Admissions just had a single tear roll down his/her face, and is baffled about it.

LOL

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:41 pm

I will as soon as I hit the 15week UR point... so near the end of the month.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm

dakatz wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
dakatz wrote:

This is crazy.

For most people, I would say it is a bit unprofessional. But as a URM applicant myself, I sort of expected the wait. Schools like Duke want to establish their medians and make sure they get the high scorers all locked up. So they save borderline URM candidates like myself until the very end, so that they can hopefully add some diversity to the class after they have established a strong median. I hope they solidify that median real soon, because I am tired of waiting.

:?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 pm

So I'm in the same position as V6, errr Kronk?, as far as withdrawal. Haven't done it yet cause I can't email, but now I'm tempted to wait for the $$ offer.

That said, my scholarship form is listed as received on the status checker on 10/16 and nothing has been mailed to me yet. Really, everyone gets a letter? Seems like I've got to be among the very earliest applicants.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:43 pm

D Brooks wrote:

I will as soon as I hit the 15week UR point... so near the end of the month.

Why would you withdraw? Wouldn't you rather wait the week or two (hopefully) to find out?

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 pm

D Brooks wrote:
I don't understand why school wait to send out rejections/WLs. Okay, I can understand until waiting until Jan bc you need to get a sense of what the app pool looks like but after that just give out decisions. Sure, applicants may be upset if its unfavorable, but that'll happen regardless. If I'm not admitted outright I'll withdraw so just say us both sometime.

FYI, their app deadline is next Monday, Feb. 15th, so they may be waiting until the whole pool is in before making final decisions, especially for those near the middle. Also, if you check on LSN, last year a batch of rejections/waitlists went out at the end of the second week of February...so we might see some movement tomorrow/Friday, for better or worse. After that, I imagine decisions will start rolling in.

Not that you shouldn't be upset, I'm in a similar boat. (In at UVA and Mich., but still waiting on Duke, seems like forever). What really frustrates me is that they seem to have a strict LSAT cutoff at 169 for reviewing apps. But Duke is still my top choice, and I will wait patiently for an acceptance if they decide to hand one to me.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:29 pm

astro1819 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

FYI, their app deadline is next Monday, Feb. 15th, so they may be waiting until the whole pool is in before making final decisions, especially for those near the middle. Also, if you check on LSN, last year a batch of rejections/waitlists went out at the end of the second week of February...so we might see some movement tomorrow/Friday, for better or worse. After that, I imagine decisions will start rolling in.

Not that you shouldn't be upset, I'm in a similar boat. (In at UVA and Mich., but still waiting on Duke, seems like forever). What really frustrates me is that they seem to have a strict LSAT cutoff at 169 for reviewing apps. But Duke is still my top choice, and I will wait patiently for an acceptance if they decide to hand one to me.

Could you elaborate on the 169 policy? I'm curious. I'm a 169er who that policy doesn't seem to be helping to get a decision :( . Though I am UR (1/25) so I guess you're technically right.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:36 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:
Could you elaborate on the 169 policy? I'm curious. I'm a 169er who that policy doesn't seem to be helping to get a decision :( . Though I am UR (1/25) so I guess you're technically right.

Well, I'm sure it's not a strict policy, but on LSN there are many decisions rendered (mostly admits) for 169+ (albeit with 3.8+ GPAs) and few for anyone 168 or below. Recently they seem to have been handing out more decisions below 169, so it might not hold so much anymore.

They also handed out PT invites to people with 169s, but not 168s. Those 169 invites might've also depended on GPA, though I'm not sure.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:37 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

I'm a 169er non-URM still sans decision. It's getting REALLY annoying at this point. Submitted 10/31.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
xcountryjunkie wrote:
astro1819 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

I'm a 169er non-URM still sans decision. It's getting REALLY annoying at this point. Submitted 10/31.

+uno.

I would seriously consider Duke with money, but that's looking less and less likely now that they seem to be trying to gauge roughly how many PTers will actually end up matriculating before making substantial steps with the rest of us RD folks. Oh well.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm

dakatz wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
dakatz wrote:

This is crazy.

It's aggrivating for the applicant but it's far from unprofessional. Most schools promise a decision by a certain date, April 1st generally. That is their obligation to you. Nothing says that schools must assess apps in a cronological order. If a school wishes to assess their class by looking at established medians, that's fine. But yes, long waits are a bit annoying. Just not unprofessional

Split5

Postby Split5 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Submitted 10/20 here. Haven't heard a peep.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”