In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pearl_earrings

Re: In at Duke!

Postby pearl_earrings » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 pm

holydonkey wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:After much deliberation, sent in my Binding PT ED form today for the JD/MA English program.

It's still possible to ED at Duke? I think I'm just confused.

What made you decide to go dual degree?

Veritas2010

Postby Veritas2010 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Dear Duke,

Please review my application. I promise it's good. Also please update my status checker so I can have something to smile about when I go to your website.

K. Bye.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Veritas2010 wrote:Dear Duke,

Please review my application. I promise it's good. Also please update my status checker so I can have something to smile about when I go to your website.

K. Bye.

impostor

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:26 am

pearl_earrings wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
kwhitegocubs wrote:After much deliberation, sent in my Binding PT ED form today for the JD/MA English program.

It's still possible to ED at Duke? I think I'm just confused.

What made you decide to go dual degree?

Well, I was planning on going for a MFA in Creative Writing or an MFA/MA Creative Writing/English Lit. program before I got my LSAT back. Basically, I thought I'd bombed the LSAT because of various things (severe stomach illness, no sleep, car accident the week of the test, missing 11 questions on LG), and had been vacillating between the MFA and JD. I actually applied to some MFA programs before I got the score, but mainly ones where the acceptance rate is around 1% (yes, they are much more competitive than law school because the incoming classes are usually about a dozen students). If I get into Cornell or Texas' MFA, I'll be back to debating the whole thing. For example, Texas' MFA program gives you free tuition, a 27-30k/year fellowship stipend (no work) and free housing for the summers. Cornell gives you a TAship, pays you about 25k (plus additional for summer classes), and gives you about a 75% shot to work as an adjunct for a year at Cornell after you graduate. Obviously, even though I think my apps and manuscripts were strong, I don't really expect to get in. It's like applying to YLS x7 but based solely on subjective values. While the LSAT and GPA are huge for LS, MFA and MA programs are about 80% manuscript, 10% Personal Statement, 5% GRE, and 5% GPA.

So, this Duke JD/MA is the best combination of the two interests, and at an amazing school. If I don't get into Duke's JD/MA, I've got a very good shot at Notre Dame's JD/MA. There are several other lower schools with such progams that I'm looking at, but not as seriously.

Veritas2010

Postby Veritas2010 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:22 am

Veritas wrote:

K. Bye.

impostor

Hey! I'm sorry - I didn't know about you. :( Please don't be mad...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 am

Veritas2010 wrote:
Veritas wrote:

K. Bye.

impostor

Hey! I'm sorry - I didn't know about you. :( Please don't be mad...

What do you mean you haven't heard of me!?!? :lol:

please, don't apologize, I'm just playing. :D It's quite the name, what inspired your choice?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 am

It's 30 degrees warmer in Durham than it is in Chicago.

Duke FTW

BTW has anyone else who has gotten in been surprised at how much lay prestige the Duke name seems to carry?

etlien

Postby etlien » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:07 am

Been UR since 11/30. Does anyone know if theres any way to get a binding PT invite from Duke at this point? My numbers are 167/3.74. Was planning on sending them a LOCI this week pretty much saying I'd withdraw everywhere else if they accepted me anyways, but a binding PT would certainly speed things up.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 am

boilercat wrote:It's 30 degrees warmer in Durham than it is in Chicago.

Duke FTW

BTW has anyone else who has gotten in been surprised at how much lay prestige the Duke name seems to carry?

Not in yet, but here's hoping. It's the name in law in the South (with due respect to Harvard of course :P )... I heard it mentioned in the same breath as its Ivy cousins before I ever considered law. That's mainly a regional thing, of course, but the reputation is certainly there for people who know the school.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:36 am

boilercat wrote:BTW has anyone else who has gotten in been surprised at how much lay prestige the Duke name seems to carry?

Partly basketball and partly being the best university in the south--excluding UT and Virginia. OTOH, Duke basketball is widely hated due to their success and tendency to flop. I also think all schools with geographic names excluding Berkeley suffer in lay reputation because of it (NYU, Chicago, Virginia, Michigan).

I've been trying to research Duke Law's financial situation and haven't found much. Anyone know what the Law School's endowment is like these days?

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 am

Duke FTW

no...duke is a top 10 national university (USNWR) and consistently has a top ten division one basketball team that gets a lot of national face time. I'm in California and it still has a lot of lay prestige here, but in the southeast, it's almost the next best thing to harvard

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 am

barrinmb wrote:

Duke FTW

Not in yet, but here's hoping. It's the name in law in the South (with due respect to Harvard of course :P )... I heard it mentioned in the same breath as its Ivy cousins before I ever considered law. That's mainly a regional thing, of course, but the reputation is certainly there for people who know the school.

if by "prestige" u r referring to this, then yes Duke's got plenty of it :lol:

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 am

SolarWind wrote:
barrinmb wrote:

Duke FTW

if by "prestige" u r referring to this, then yes Duke's got plenty of it :lol:

Shut ya mouth. JJ Reddick is the people's champ in Orlando. :lol: he looks like a 12 year old who's been digging around in his big brother's closet

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:50 am

TheWire wrote:

Duke FTW

no...duke is a top 10 national university (USNWR) and consistently has a top ten division one basketball team that gets a lot of national face time. I'm in California and it still has a lot of lay prestige here, but in the southeast, it's almost the next best thing to harvard

It isn't almost the next best thing, it is the next best thing. When people ask what schools I'm applying to, I always start with Chicago or one of MVP to see how familiar they are with law schools. Inevitably, their eyes don't light up until I get to Duke (and, to a lesser extent, G-town).

I still <3 Duke

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
TheWire wrote:

Duke FTW

It isn't almost the next best thing, it is the next best thing. When people ask what schools I'm applying to, I always start with Chicago or one of MVP to see how familiar they are with law schools. Inevitably, their eyes don't light up until I get to Duke (and, to a lesser extent, G-town).

I still <3 Duke

TITCR

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:09 am

TheWire wrote:

Duke FTW

Oh, I knew most people respected it. But I didn't think it'd have such a strong reputation here in the Midwest.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 am

Duke is the shool your mom loves to brag you got accepted to. In her mind its HYSD.

stephhu

Postby stephhu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Dearest Duke...

You lured me in with you flirtatious fee waiver, then proceeded to play hard-to-get when I found out that others, but not I, received a Priority track invite. Now it seems like you are giving me the silent treatment because I'm been labeled "Application Complete" since OCTOBER and still no word from you 3 months later.

I've sent you emails, letters, updated you on my senior fall transcript.

Oh, Duke Law School, how you devastate me.

Sincerely,
Unrequited candidate

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 pm

stephhu wrote: Now it seems like you are giving me the silent treatment because I'm been labeled "Application Complete" since OCTOBER and still no word from you 3 months later.

Ouch.

slenslee

Postby slenslee » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 pm

UR 1/26, completed/ready for review first/second week of December

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 pm

slenslee wrote:UR 1/26, completed/ready for review first/second week of December

Excellent. I think they've gotten through the PT apps and are now plowing through the RD pile. Hopefully they'll get to early January soon!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Last edited by beesknees on Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terpette

Postby terpette » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
slenslee wrote:UR 1/26, completed/ready for review first/second week of December

Excellent. I think they've gotten through the PT apps and are now plowing through the RD pile. Hopefully they'll get to early January soon!

Aye, I've been in app purgatory since UR 11/30. Of course, your numbers seem pretty straightforward admit and you'll probably get a decision faster than mine. At this point, I'm not expecting a decision as I believe they've put me on the secret WL... so secret that I can't even know about it.

I've been RFR since 12/8...would love to go UR sometime soon.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm

beesknees wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

Aye, I've been in app purgatory since UR 11/30. Of course, your numbers seem pretty straightforward admit and you'll probably get a decision faster than mine. At this point, I'm not expecting a decision as I believe they've put me on the secret WL... so secret that I can't even know about it.

I must be on it with you...UR since 12/2. I just don't check anymore :roll:

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:17 pm

beesknees wrote:Aye, I've been in app purgatory since UR 11/30. Of course, your numbers seem pretty straightforward admit and you'll probably get a decision faster than mine. At this point, I'm not expecting a decision as I believe they've put me on the secret WL... so secret that I can't even know about it.

+1 to 11/30 and the secret WL. We may even need to start a Secret WL Club.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”