In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iminlstrick

Re: In at Duke!

Postby iminlstrick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:55 pm

lz06 wrote:Has anyone gotten the scholarship app?

Yes, received it in the mail yesterday (~19 days after acceptance). You can also download the exact same forms off the website (I wasn't sure so I waited, but yep, they're identical).

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 pm

I received my snail mail packet on Tuesday (Accepted the previous Friday).

Lmao Zedong

Postby Lmao Zedong » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:03 pm

sorry to pollute this thread (because in theory it's for people who have already been admitted), but it seems like some general questions are being asked so:

if you did not apply ED or PT, when's the earliest you're likely to get your app looked at / get a decision? has anyone non-ED, non-PT been admitted yet?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:33 pm

I think most law schools, Duke included, don't really start evaluating applications and sending out decisions until late October, at the earliest. Dean Tom of Berkeley doesn't even look at applications until late October. Yale, UVA, Chicago, Stanford, Harvard, etc. generally start sending out decisions in early December (late November for Harvard).

Duke is hard to tell because of the PT option, but if you sort LSN applicants at Duke by decision date, you might get a more concrete answer.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:17 pm

Got the e-mail a little bit ago. JD/LLM, took them about 6 days because I was missing a Dean's Certification.

SO HAPPY.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Kretzy wrote:Got the e-mail a little bit ago. JD/LLM, took them about 6 days because I was missing a Dean's Certification.

SO HAPPY.

Congrats

Capercaillie

Postby Capercaillie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:33 pm

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:36 pm

That Dean's Cert is gonna screw my 10 days up too. There is no way my UG gets to it that quickly. Argh.

thewordisjust

Postby thewordisjust » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Those who have been accepted, if you are applying for financial aid, send in your information as soon as you get the acceptance.
I just spoke to the admissions office, and they said that although the decision process will begin in January, they look at giving aid in the order that they are received, and my opinion is the sooner they look at it, the more funds they have available, *hopefully* the more generous they will be with the scholarships.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:54 pm

toolshed wrote:That Dean's Cert is gonna screw my 10 days up too. There is no way my UG gets to it that quickly. Argh.

Amazingly, they still finished everything within the 10 day window. I was lucky, though, and got ahold of our Dean on Friday afternoon. He wrote the statement right then, so it didn't screw me up too much.

Yay freshman dorm drinking violation...

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:
toolshed wrote:That Dean's Cert is gonna screw my 10 days up too. There is no way my UG gets to it that quickly. Argh.

Amazingly, they still finished everything within the 10 day window. I was lucky, though, and got ahold of our Dean on Friday afternoon. He wrote the statement right then, so it didn't screw me up too much.

I'm a little concerned, because my UG led me to believe that all they do is send a certification letter that I graduated in Academic Good Standing. It was an online request process, no opportunity to ask for a specific letter. I hope that is sufficient for Duke.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:27 pm

toolshed wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

I'm a little concerned, because my UG led me to believe that all they do is send a certification letter that I graduated in Academic Good Standing. It was an online request process, no opportunity to ask for a specific letter. I hope that is sufficient for Duke.

Dean Hoye emailed me with a specific request to include a letter from a Dean (or administrator) speaking to the extent of any violation of school policy--in my case, drinking in the dorms. They had to specifically talk about the incident and any punishment I would have received. I imagine you may be asked for the same, in addition to the fact you graduated in good standing.

You may just want to give them a call. They were incredibly helpful when I was asking about stuff, I came away impressed by the operation they have running.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:29 pm

I was help up because of Deans Cert too, but actually the Admissions Director emailed me to tell me that he recieved it this morning and my status checker already says decision made.. I havent gotten the email though yet

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Kretzy wrote:
toolshed wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

Dean Hoye emailed me with a specific request to include a letter from a Dean (or administrator) speaking to the extent of any violation of school policy--in my case, drinking in the dorms. They had to specifically talk about the incident and any punishment I would have received. I imagine you may be asked for the same, in addition to the fact you graduated in good standing.

You may just want to give them a call. They were incredibly helpful when I was asking about stuff, I came away impressed by the operation they have running.

Thank you, I will do that. I have been impressed in all my dealings with Duke thus far. Getting a hold of a dean at my UG is the part that will be the problem. I will take to the phones though.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:44 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:I was help up because of Deans Cert too, but actually the Admissions Director emailed me to tell me that he recieved it this morning and my status checker already says decision made.. I havent gotten the email though yet

Good luck! "Decision made" has been good news thus far this cycle.

cpt yossarian

Postby cpt yossarian » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:47 pm

You only need a Dean's cert if you had some kind of misconduct right?

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:56 pm

cpt yossarian wrote:You only need a Dean's cert if you had some kind of misconduct right?

Correct

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm

cpt yossarian wrote:You only need a Dean's cert if you had some kind of misconduct right?

Or just academic probation. At my school, there was a distinction between "misconduct", an actual act of wrong-doing, and "academic probation," which resulted from grades below the acceptable GPA or failure to take adequate course hour requirements while enrolled full-time.

Edited for clarification.

nnjpenn

Postby nnjpenn » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 pm

Just changed to decisión made. Sooooooo nervous

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:19 pm

nnjpenn wrote:Just changed to decisión made. Sooooooo nervous

Ha! Good luck.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:20 pm

I have been there for 2 hours, how long does it take to email?!

toolshed

Postby toolshed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:21 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Just like the physical acceptance packages, the acceptance e-mails are heavier. They take longer to go through the intertubes.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:23 pm

toolshed wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

Just like the physical acceptance packages, the acceptance e-mails are heavier. They take longer to go through the intertubes.

Why didnt Ted Stevens make a bill that the tubes have to be bigger?!

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:10 pm

IM IN!!!

Capercaillie

Postby Capercaillie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:11 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:--ImageRemoved-- IM IN!!!

good for you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”