In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AngryAvocado

Re: In at Duke!

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 pm

I wish they'd stop doing PT after December or so. This leapfrog business is getting old.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 pm

boilercat wrote:I was looking at that old c/o2005 NLJ250 placement chart... Is Duke's placement as ridiculous as it seems to be on that chart? It placed ridiculously well in BigLaw and really well in Clerkships, too...

I looked at that chart also, and I was amazed at its 60% placement. Are you telling me that no matter how hard I believe and clap my hands that won't be the case for the c/o 2013?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:32 pm

Withdrew my acceptance earlier today after getting in on Monday. Good luck everyone!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:35 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
boilercat wrote:I was looking at that old c/o2005 NLJ250 placement chart... Is Duke's placement as ridiculous as it seems to be on that chart? It placed ridiculously well in BigLaw and really well in Clerkships, too...

I looked at that chart also, and I was amazed at its 60% placement.

Not just that, look at how small the "other firms" category is.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:38 pm

boilercat wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Different times. That was back when MVP was placing almost 3/4 of its class in biglaw.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:38 am

GeePee wrote:
boilercat wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Different times. That was back when MVP was placing almost 3/4 of its class in biglaw.

The chart certainly doesn't indicate that (unless a significant part of that 'other firms' portion is biglaw?)

Isn't it safe to assume that the recession will affect most schools the same way? (i.e., Duke's placement will still be relatively impressive)

Forgive my ignorance about this stuff. I'm really looking forward to finding out how this year's 2Ls fare. When I was doing OCR at my UG a couple of months back, there seemed to be a lot of optimism going around. A lot of the middle market IB firms I talked to claimed they were going on hiring blitzes since they anticipated a lot of money moving around in 2011. (I'm still pessimistic and I'm approaching this whole process under the assumption that the legal job market is still going to be shit for c/o 2013)

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 pm

What is priority track? is it by invite only? more info please...

duodora

Postby duodora » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:24 pm

MissLucky wrote:What is priority track? is it by invite only? more info please...

Yup, it's by invite only, but you could always request it. afaik it's mostly based on LSAT score (if you're within a certain range of numbers that Duke wants to target), but they might send out different PT invites to URMs, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about it too much, I didn't get the PT invite and got accepted, it just took a little bit longer!

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 pm

duodora wrote:
MissLucky wrote:What is priority track? is it by invite only? more info please...

Yup, it's by invite only, but you could always request it. afaik it's mostly based on LSAT score (if you're within a certain range of numbers that Duke wants to target), but they might send out different PT invites to URMs, etc.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about it too much, I didn't get the PT invite and got accepted, it just took a little bit longer!

yeah im def not in their target range for LSAT. bleh. i suck.

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Just received the package yesterday. It was nice. Someone else mentioned this before, but they try to customize your acceptance letter. For me it was only one sentence, but it was a nice touch.

Now if I could get some scholarship money!

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Argh, I applied priority track and just got an e-mail saying that they cannot offer me admission at this time, but are putting me on their priority reserve list. Is that a waitlist, or just taking me off priority track?

With my numbers (3.82/173), I thought I would get into Duke easily. My LSAT is above their 75th and my GPA is 0.02 points below the 75th and above median. This makes me nervous about the other schools I applied to...do you think it's really so competitive this year that every school's medians are going to shoot up another 2 points on the LSAT like they did last year, and that being above median based on last year's class profiles just isn't going to cut it?

I guess this could be yield-protecting, but I don't think my numbers are so high that they would yield-protect me, although they did invite me to submit additional information, such as new transcripts (n/a since I have been out of school for 3 years), new honors or awards, or a statement of continued interest.

Did anyone else receive this e-mail or know what it means?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:56 pm

hopefulincal wrote:Just received the package yesterday. It was nice. Someone else mentioned this before, but they try to customize your acceptance letter. For me it was only one sentence, but it was a nice touch.

Now if I could get some scholarship money!

Congrats! Can I ask what your stats are?
Last edited by democrattotheend on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Has anyone heard back who is applying to a MA/J.D. program? In particular, MA in Econ. I am still at UR 10/25; I don't think its bad news per se considering both departments probably have to review applications and such, but correct me if I am wrong.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:22 pm

GMVarun wrote:Has anyone heard back who is applying to a MA/J.D. program? In particular, MA in Econ. I am still at UR 10/25; I don't think its bad news per se considering both departments probably have to review applications and such, but correct me if I am wrong.

I applied for M.S. Bioengineering/J.D. and was accepted to both a while ago. Not sure if M.A.s are the same, thought.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:26 pm

GMVarun wrote:Has anyone heard back who is applying to a MA/J.D. program? In particular, MA in Econ. I am still at UR 10/25; I don't think its bad news per se considering both departments probably have to review applications and such, but correct me if I am wrong.

Hm not sure. Maybe different departments have different speeds.

Thanks for your response though, anyone else submit an Econ MA/JD?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Argh, I applied priority track and just got an e-mail saying that they cannot offer me admission at this time, but are putting me on their priority reserve list. Is that a waitlist, or just taking me off priority track?

With my numbers (3.82/173), I thought I would get into Duke easily. My LSAT is above their 75th and my GPA is 0.02 points below the 75th and above median. This makes me nervous about the other schools I applied to...do you think it's really so competitive this year that every school's medians are going to shoot up another 2 points on the LSAT like they did last year, and that being above median based on last year's class profiles just isn't going to cut it?

I guess this could be yield-protecting, but I don't think my numbers are so high that they would yield-protect me, although they did invite me to submit additional information, such as new transcripts (n/a since I have been out of school for 3 years), new honors or awards, or a statement of continued interest.

Did anyone else receive this e-mail or know what it means?

Its a waitlist. Seems to me like YP, but maybe its a result of too many applicants at this point. Submit a LOCI if you would really attend.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Does the status checker change from "File ready for review" to "under review," or does it just stay at the former until a decision is made? If it does change, what is the typical interval between being ready and actually going under review. I've been ready for review for a while now and want the wheels to get turning a little bit faster.

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:56 pm

I applied for a joint JD/MA (Enviro Science and Policy) and went UR 11/30. Haven't heard a thing since. My LSAT is <25th% though.
Last edited by aimhigh09 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Does the status checker change from "File ready for review" to "under review," or does it just stay at the former until a decision is made? If it does change, what is the typical interval between being ready and actually going under review. I've been ready for review for a while now and want the wheels to get turning a little bit faster.

I'd like to know this as well.

aimhigh09

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:02 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:Does the status checker change from "File ready for review" to "under review," or does it just stay at the former until a decision is made? If it does change, what is the typical interval between being ready and actually going under review. I've been ready for review for a while now and want the wheels to get turning a little bit faster.

Mine switched to Under Review.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:03 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:

Changes to "File under review"

etlien

Postby etlien » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:20 am

aimhigh09 wrote:

I applied for a joint MS/JD and went UR 11/30. Haven't heard a thing since. My LSAT is <25th% though.

I've also been UR since 11/30. Am thinking of sending them a LOCI/Why Duke essay since I didn't send one with the application. My Personal Statement kinda covered it and I didn't think a Why Duke essay would add much, but am starting to think just the effort of writing one might help my chances. On the other hand, I don't want my file to be pulled out of line just to have something added. Has anyone actually sent in a Why Duke essay after going UR?

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 am

etlien wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:

I applied for a joint MS/JD and went UR 11/30. Haven't heard a thing since. My LSAT is <25th% though.

I've also been UR since 11/30. Am thinking of sending them a LOCI/Why Duke essay since I didn't send one with the application. My Personal Statement kinda covered it and I didn't think a Why Duke essay would add much, but am starting to think just the effort of writing one might help my chances. On the other hand, I don't want my file to be pulled out of line just to have something added. Has anyone actually sent in a Why Duke essay after going UR?

Don't quote me on this, but I think even when you send something, as long as your file has been complete, it won't pull it out of line. They'll just go ahead and add it.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:06 pm

F sakes, Duke. UR 10/19, nothing. Send my rejection already.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:08 pm

Got my WL email on this wonderful saturday

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”