In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
strandm2

Re: In at Duke!

Postby strandm2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 pm

I submitted in late October, file complete 11/4, and went under review 11/20, 12/4, did not submit a why duke essay.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:48 pm

hermione0901 wrote:I'm in!!!! Accepted by email a 9:06 central time tonight!!

Congrats!!!!! That's awesome!

strandm2 wrote:I was not priority track fyi, and the email included this:

Thank you for applying to Duke Law School. I am writing to inform you of the status of your application for admission. We have completed a thorough review of your application, and would like to offer you a space on our Priority Reserve list for this year's entering class.

I could not find any information on this on their website and most of the info on this site seems pertinent to PT applicants, with some conjecture as to whether this is really a deferral or a waitlist. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thank for your help.

I got the exact same e-mail tonight, and it was quite a disappointment... I'd really gotten my hopes up about Duke - I'd absolutely love to attend.
I've got similar numbers and (perhaps notably) also wrote the LSAT twice. I already wrote a "Why Duke", so I'm not quite sure what my next step will be.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Wow. I'm pretty surprised to see 170/3.9s getting priority reserved. This cycle is starting to freak me out...

I wonder if, since the majority of applications are typically sent in after Christmas, they are just trying to limit the number of early admits? Whatever the case, good luck to you guys with Duke and elsewhere.

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 am

I would've thought those #'s were in for sure... wow

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:17 am

AngryAvocado wrote:Wow. I'm pretty surprised to see 170/3.9s getting priority reserved. This cycle is starting to freak me out...

I wonder if, since the majority of applications are typically sent in after Christmas, they are just trying to limit the number of early admits? Whatever the case, good luck to you guys with Duke and elsewhere.

Those last two that were put on Priority Reserve had to be some kind of YP. The 170/3.9 is above both 75's and the 173/3.7 is way above LSAT and right about at median GPA. Unless there is something crazy wrong with both applications or unless Duke is planning on a huge jump in LSAT/GPA numbers I would assume they are just being a little more cautious about people who will more than likely withdraw anyway.

strandm2

Postby strandm2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:21 am

I'm still in stage 1: Denial

Maybe they sent out the email by mistake. It's possible, look at Boalt in 2006.

When anger will set in (trying to stay as level-headed as possible, hopefully won't) is another question.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:23 am

strandm2 wrote:I'm still in stage 1: Denial

Maybe they sent out the email by mistake. It's possible, look at Boalt in 2006.

When anger will set in (trying to stay as level-headed as possible, hopefully won't) is another question.

They're probably just now realizing that the number of applicants is only slightly rising but the number of applications is increasing dramatically. So they let in a bunch of people they should have YP'd and now they have to make up for it for a while so they don't lose some ranking points. Or at least that is what I would be telling myself if I were you....

edit: Is Duke your top choice or would you go somewhere else assuming you could get in?

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 am

Torvon wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Wow. I'm pretty surprised to see 170/3.9s getting priority reserved. This cycle is starting to freak me out...

Those last two that were put on Priority Reserve had to be some kind of YP. The 170/3.9 is above both 75's and the 173/3.7 is way above LSAT and right about at median GPA. Unless there is something crazy wrong with both applications or unless Duke is planning on a huge jump in LSAT/GPA numbers I would assume they are just being a little more cautious about people who will more than likely withdraw anyway.

I have read that Duke isn't big on YP-ing.... this has definitely shaken me up a little. I'm above the LSAT 75 and a smidgen above the median for GPA. I didn't think this cycle would be that much more competitive, but this is telling me otherwise.

strandm2

Postby strandm2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 am

I'm guessing (hoping) this is more of a deferral in the sense that they're just waiting for PT applicants to withdraw. It is one of my top few choices (well at this point would be my top choice). To give you some background, I applied to Duke undergrad via their ED program and was deferred, and ultimately rejected. Eerily similar...

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 am

pearl_earrings wrote:
Torvon wrote:

I have read that Duke isn't big on YP-ing.... this has definitely shaken me up a little. I'm above the LSAT 75 and a smidgen above the median for GPA. I didn't think this cycle would be that much more competitive, but this is telling me otherwise.

I just find it hard (ie impossible) to believe that your numbers aren't good enough for Duke, even in an extraordinarily competitive year. There is something else at work here...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

lawschoolapp1

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:41 am

strandm2 wrote:Just got the email-priority reserve, 3.93, 170/165

As I already complained about on this thread i got the PR with 172 3.61 and was pissed too, i'm maybe even more surprised for you with that GPA, duke is being crazy right now. not sure how exactly what pr even means i kinda just thought it was 'top of the waitlist' kind of thing

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:47 am

Duke is not doing any YP as far as I can tell. Look at the graph on LSN. It's possible they are doing YP for a few random cases where they somehow decide the candidate has no interest. But, I have no idea how this would work. The only strange thing Duke tends to do is not give PT to people with YP level numbers.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 am

hiro86 wrote:Duke is not doing any YP as far as I can tell. Look at the graph on LSN. It's possible they are doing YP for a few random cases where they somehow decide the candidate has no interest. But, I have no idea how this would work. The only strange thing Duke tends to do is not give PT to people with YP level numbers.

Well the one applicant in question didn't write a "Why Duke?", so that probably goes a long way in showing little to no interest. If they were rejecting everyone with those numbers and only accepting people with higher numbers I would buy into the whole "more competitive year" explanation but that isn't the case. I dunno, did you two accidentally include a "Why X?" for a different school in your Duke applications? Seems to be the most plausible explanation thus far.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Torvon wrote:
hiro86 wrote:Duke is not doing any YP as far as I can tell. Look at the graph on LSN. It's possible they are doing YP for a few random cases where they somehow decide the candidate has no interest. But, I have no idea how this would work. The only strange thing Duke tends to do is not give PT to people with YP level numbers.

Well the one applicant in question didn't write a "Why Duke?", so that probably goes a long way in showing little to no interest. If they were rejecting everyone with those numbers and only accepting people with higher numbers I would buy into the whole "more competitive year" explanation but that isn't the case. I dunno, did you two accidentally include a "Why X?" for a different school in your Duke applications? Seems to be the most plausible explanation thus far.

I panicked for a minute there. Just checked, and my Why Duke is definitely geared to Duke.
But, I think maybe my two LSAT scores are playing a role? One is significantly lower than the other. I did write an addendum though.

strandm2

Postby strandm2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:35 am

I'm going to try and call the admissions department tomorrow and find out what exactly priority reserve is, and why a non-pt applicant would be on it this early (most likely won't get much info). I'll probably then shoot off an email to the Admissions Director (Hoye) and see if I can prod any more info as to what I did/can do.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:59 am

strandm2 wrote:I'm going to try and call the admissions department tomorrow and find out what exactly priority reserve is, and why a non-pt applicant would be on it this early (most likely won't get much info). I'll probably then shoot off an email to the Admissions Director (Hoye) and see if I can prod any more info as to what I did/can do.

Be sure to let me know your findings, PM works if you don't want it out in public. From everything I have researched it seems more or less that Priority Reserve is more of a hold and less of an actual decision. Last year some people were moved from PR to "Accepted" status as early as December. Then into January and February some were moved to "Accepted" and others were put on the wait list. I know of at least one person that got put on PR in February or so and then just wrote a LOCI the next day and was accepted within a day or so. I know that you don't have to be Priority Track to get put on Priority Reserve (of course you know that) and I also know if you're Priority Track you can be sent straight to the wait list or rejected.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:26 pm

lawschoolapp1 wrote:
strandm2 wrote:Just got the email-priority reserve, 3.93, 170/165

As I already complained about on this thread i got the PR with 172 3.61 and was pissed too, i'm maybe even more surprised for you with that GPA, duke is being crazy right now. not sure how exactly what pr even means i kinda just thought it was 'top of the waitlist' kind of thing

I applied in early October with similar stats (slightly higher LSAT and slightly lower GPA) and haven't heard a peep back from them. I didn't get a PT invite either. I don't know what's going on in that office...

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does it mean anything if the Under Review date is updated to today's date? Thanks for the info.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Should we expect one more batch of decisions before Christmas holidays? Anyone want to guess when they'll come out? I would LOVE to have an acceptance from Duke...and I would almost definitely attend if they were to accept me...come on Duke!

Completed application on Dec. 4th though, so is it unlikely that I'll hear back so soon?

jocelyne

Postby jocelyne » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:34 pm

Last edited by jocelyne on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terpette

Postby terpette » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:36 pm

astro1819 wrote:Should we expect one more batch of decisions before Christmas holidays? Anyone want to guess when they'll come out? I would LOVE to have an acceptance from Duke...and I would almost definitely attend if they were to accept me...come on Duke!

Completed application on Dec. 4th though, so is it unlikely that I'll hear back so soon?

I completed around the same time, and what I've seen it seems unlikely. Although they'll probably ding me so fast that it won't matter :(

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:36 pm

jocelyne wrote:UR since 12/02, any speculation??

You've been under review for all of 2 weeks. What is there to speculate about? I've been under review since 11/2 with no update, and I'm sure there are numerous people who have been UR since October. Duke is certainly not the type of school that pumps out decisions very quickly.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

terpette wrote:
astro1819 wrote:Should we expect one more batch of decisions before Christmas holidays? Anyone want to guess when they'll come out? I would LOVE to have an acceptance from Duke...and I would almost definitely attend if they were to accept me...come on Duke!

I completed around the same time, and what I've seen it seems unlikely. Although they'll probably ding me so fast that it won't matter :(

Don't lose hope!! I'm around your numbers so let's hope they let both of us in! Based on previous years it looks like December submitters generally find out by the end of January at the latest...which is nice either way.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:43 pm

dakatz wrote:
jocelyne wrote:UR since 12/02, any speculation??

You've been under review for all of 2 weeks. What is there to speculate about? I've been under review since 11/2 with no update, and I'm sure there are numerous people who have been UR since October. Duke is certainly not the type of school that pumps out decisions very quickly.

Unless you are PT. I agree that they are just as slow as other schools for regular applicants though.

astro1819

Postby astro1819 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:02 pm

astro1819 wrote:Don't lose hope!! I'm around your numbers so let's hope they let both of us in! Based on previous years it looks like December submitters generally find out by the end of January at the latest...which is nice either way.

OK, I take this back. Based on LSN, Waitlist/Denies tend to find out in February while Accepts tend to find out in December( PTers) or January ("Regular" applicants). Let's hope to hear back in January!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”