In at Duke!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shopalot86

Re: In at Duke!

Postby Shopalot86 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:49 pm

When you're "Under Review" for a long period of time (more than a month) is that just code for "Your rejection letter is in the mail?"

mxc

Postby mxc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Shopalot86 wrote:When you're "Under Review" for a long period of time (more than a month) is that just code for "Your rejection letter is in the mail?"

I would think it's more like "You're rejected, but we'll wait until January to tell you so we don't spoil your holidays".

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:55 pm

My file went from ready to review for UR in the same day.

terpette

Postby terpette » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:58 pm

mxc wrote:
Shopalot86 wrote:When you're "Under Review" for a long period of time (more than a month) is that just code for "Your rejection letter is in the mail?"

I would think it's more like "You're rejected, but we'll wait until January to tell you so we don't spoil your holidays".

HAHAHA love this. They could just not spoil MY holidays but giving me a WL over a ding as a present. That's all I want. Are you listening, Santa?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:58 pm

mxc wrote:

This is my thought too.

sotomayor

Postby sotomayor » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:00 pm

quick question, has anyone been under review since 10/25 or longer? i'm a urm and im just wondering if they're waiting to see more urm applications or if its just that i'm pretty screwed. 168, won't disclose gpa for privacy reasons though.

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Anyone else have any kind of movement on their status checkers today? I'm priority track, went complete on 12/3, under review 12/3, UR date updated to 12/4. If they are moving applications today I would have expected to see "decision made," since the general consensus is that an updated UR date (on 12/4) is the equivalent to final review.

Starting to have major application insecurities.....AHHHHhhhHHHHH.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:16 pm

likeaspark wrote:Anyone else have any kind of movement on their status checkers today? I'm priority track, went complete on 12/3, under review 12/3, UR date updated to 12/4. If they are moving applications today I would have expected to see "decision made," since the general consensus is that an updated UR date (on 12/4) is the equivalent to final review.

By the look of your stats you're in, but I would wait till Monday before expecting to hear anything.

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:20 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
likeaspark wrote:Anyone else have any kind of movement on their status checkers today? I'm priority track, went complete on 12/3, under review 12/3, UR date updated to 12/4. If they are moving applications today I would have expected to see "decision made," since the general consensus is that an updated UR date (on 12/4) is the equivalent to final review.

By the look of your stats you're in, but I would wait till Monday before expecting to hear anything.

Thanks for your vote of confidence :)

Number wise I should be fine, but I have some slightly unusual circumstances that may not be looked upon lightly.

In any event, I'll have to hear something by Sunday (10 day mark for PT). Trying hard to chill until then = still refreshing status checker approximately once every 3 minutes.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:26 pm

terpette wrote:my file is still "ready for review" (I only submitted a few days ago due to waiting foreverrrrrrrr for a LOR)

how long did it take for you to go from "ready for review" to "under review"?

I've been "ready for review" since 11/4. :(

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:28 pm

likeaspark wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Thanks for your vote of confidence :)

Number wise I should be fine, but I have some slightly unusual circumstances that may not be looked upon lightly.

In any event, I'll have to hear something by Sunday (10 day mark for PT). Trying hard to chill until then = still refreshing status checker approximately once every 3 minutes.

I did the same thing lol. If you got PT I would think you are in, but there have been a few exceptions to that rule.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:49 pm

danidancer wrote:I've been "ready for review" since 11/4. :(

Same, but 11/9 here. :|

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:50 pm

glad to see other people are 'ready for review' as long as i have been

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:55 pm

sotomayor wrote:quick question, has anyone been under review since 10/25 or longer? i'm a urm and im just wondering if they're waiting to see more urm applications or if its just that i'm pretty screwed. 168, won't disclose gpa for privacy reasons though.

I've been Under Review since 10/25. I am not a URM. Same LSAT score.

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:11 pm

I wonder what has made them wait so long to give any decisions to ED candidates. Wouldn't they want to deal with their definite incoming class numbers (GPA LSAT) before evaluating the rest of the applicant pool? Many of us ED'ers have been UR for almost a month now.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:19 pm

BlueHeel wrote:I wonder what has made them wait so long to give any decisions to ED candidates. Wouldn't they want to deal with their definite incoming class numbers (GPA LSAT) before evaluating the rest of the applicant pool? Many of us ED'ers have been UR for almost a month now.

They are waiting to see what RD applicants they can get before filling a spot for sure with an ED. Too many EDs too early in the cycle and you might have a ton of more qualified applicants who you cant accept because you filled too many spots. If I was a mean adcom I would just hold out on an ED until a month before orientation, and see which of the top-stats people I get. Then with the remaining spots pick from ED. However, I would be a nice adcom and accept you today!

mxc

Postby mxc » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
BlueHeel wrote:I wonder what has made them wait so long to give any decisions to ED candidates. Wouldn't they want to deal with their definite incoming class numbers (GPA LSAT) before evaluating the rest of the applicant pool? Many of us ED'ers have been UR for almost a month now.

They are waiting to see what RD applicants they can get before filling a spot for sure with an ED. Too many EDs too early in the cycle and you might have a ton of more qualified applicants who you cant accept because you filled too many spots. If I was a mean adcom I would just hold out on an ED until a month before orientation, and see which of the top-stats people I get. Then with the remaining spots pick from ED. However, I would be a nice adcom and accept you today!

Even a "mean" dean wouldn't be able to hold a decision that long. They'd have to defer the applicant. But then the applicant would no longer be bound to accept any admission offer.

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:30 pm

mxc wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Even a "mean" dean wouldn't be able to hold a decision that long. They'd have to defer the applicant. But then the applicant would no longer be bound to accept any admission offer.

Well, atleast we know they have to give us a decision by 31 December. Interestingly enough they also require a seat deposit by 5 January if accepted ED. So they are really taking it down to the wire here!

jasmoon

Postby jasmoon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:23 pm

I just got in!
App complete/UR: 11/30

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:40 pm

In today via priority track. I didn't write the Why Duke essay and was expecting to get dinged, but I guess it didn't matter.

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Congrats to both!!! Kumba, when did your file go complete?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:00 pm

should i ask for priority track?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Congrats to new admits! I hope I'm shortly behind!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

boilercat wrote:should i ask for priority track?

I think some people said they got a 10 day turnaround like they were PT even though they wern't invited. If your numbers are close enough they will put you on PT track when you submit.

lawschoolapp1

Postby lawschoolapp1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Was a PT applicant and got put on "priority reserve" today. 172 3.61. I'm sure this will make some folks nervous haha. Don't know what went wrong i even wrote a crappy "why duke" essay.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”