In at Duke! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rondemarino

Silver

Re: In at Duke!

Post by rondemarino » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:55 pm

goodolgil wrote:A straight-up rejection is kinda crazy in November. Have any theories as to why?
This is definitely a bizarre outcome.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:57 pm

rogerlodge wrote:reject 171, 3.6. Wasn't in top choices, but still any rejection sucks. Thankful I only spent $12 on the application. I wonder if I sent my Why Michigan essay to Duke?
I'm screwed.

galahad85

Bronze

Post by galahad85 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm

I'm officially scared of Duke now.

TruckerD

Bronze

Post by TruckerD » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm

galahad85 wrote:I'm officially scared of Duke now.
+10,000 :shock:

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:10 pm

rogerlodge wrote:reject 171, 3.6. Wasn't in top choices, but still any rejection sucks. Thankful I only spent $12 on the application. I wonder if I sent my Why Michigan essay to Duke?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p1262108

Er, if you got into NYU and Chicago last year, are you re-applying this year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8#p1262108

Er, if you got into NYU and Chicago last year, are you re-applying this year?
lol

rogerlodge

New

Post by rogerlodge » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:15 pm

For personal reason I chose not to go to school last year. I got all that sorted out and am re-applying this year. I should've probably accepted and deferred somewhere, but didn't.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:16 pm

rogerlodge wrote:For personal reason I chose not to go to school last year. I got all that sorted out and am re-applying this year. I should've probably accepted and deferred somewhere, but didn't.
Did you get into Duke last year? Maybe they rejected you because they thought if you didn't choose to go last year, you wouldn't this year?

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Look on the LSAC report and see if there are any blaring mistakes on your PS or application. I got in with a 171 3.5 so I'm not sure what happened with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lieut Kaffee

Silver

Post by Lieut Kaffee » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Based on these last few anecdotes, Duke's selectivity sure looks up from last year and previous years. However, it doesn't seem plausible that this cycle is so much more competitive that Duke morphed into UChicago in just one year.

It has to be something specific with these two applications; my waitlist and the 171 reject. For me personally, the only real blemish on my application is a previous LSAT score. My PS and softs are neutral at worst, and my LOR are very good.

One theory may be that the difference between 171 and 172 is significant for YP-ing. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that 172 is a virtual auto-admit cutoff for NYU and maybe a few more schools in between, which may lead Duke to use the waitlist. I could also see my application coming across as generic and uninterested; a Why Duke essay probably would have helped a lot.

As to why a 171/3.7 would get flat rejected, that's tough to speculate on.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:22 pm

umm FLAME, don't feed the troll.

discobabe

New

Post by discobabe » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm

under review since 11/9, LSP said "admit," no PT, ballpark of when to expect a response? it seems like other RD's with similar numbers have received a response by now. cause for worry?

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:48 pm

,km
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

panadera

Bronze

Post by panadera » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:49 pm

babin.6 wrote:My status check says decision made. Will be notified sooon. What does that mean? When do I find out? How will I find out?
It means-extra good luck for you from me! You'll find out by email between now and hours from now.

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:53 pm

kpd-m wrote:
babin.6 wrote:My status check says decision made. Will be notified sooon. What does that mean? When do I find out? How will I find out?
It means-extra good luck for you from me! You'll find out by email between now and hours from now.
+1 :mrgreen:

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:54 pm

It means I'm green with envy. :mrgreen: I hope you get in, check your e-mails, and good luck!

seamonkey

New

Post by seamonkey » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:04 pm

I've been stuck at "File ready for review" (RD) since 11/5. Cause for alarm? Anyone else in this boat?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:25 pm

seamonkey wrote:I've been stuck at "File ready for review" (RD) since 11/5. Cause for alarm? Anyone else in this boat?
I think everyone who hasn't heard back yet just needs to chill a little bit. I def. feel for everybody and we're all essentially in the same boat since most of us applied to group of schools. For Duke in particular, don't be alarmed if you are a RD applicant and haven't heard back. They simply are going to have their hands a little full with the PT applicants. The PT applicants aren't hearing back until the full 10 days so there is no reason to believe that anybody else is going to receive lighting-quick responses. I wish the best of luck to all of you!

btw...I wish there was more Duke love on TLS

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:28 pm

I love Duke. I am seriously considering it. Would definitely attend it over UVA all things equal, maybe over Berkeley considering how much cheaper it'd be, maybe over Penn, and maybe over Chicago (wind + cold + 5-month winter = death). Underrated placement IMO.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:30 pm

VoidSix wrote:I love Duke. I am seriously considering it. Would definitely attend it over UVA all things equal, maybe over Berkeley considering how much cheaper it'd be, maybe over Penn, and maybe over Chicago (wind + cold + 5-month winter = death). Underrated placement IMO.
+ 1...for real...and for all the reasons that you mentioned (+Penn = cold too)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah. Philly is a little cold. I haven't been there since I was 12, so I would probably need to take a visit. Kind of similar to Duke, actually--they place really well but don't have that great of faculty rankings according to Leiter, a lot of lay prestige, and a big emphasis on dual degrees.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Yeah. I will consider Duke if I can escape with under 80-100K in loans. Otherwise I don't think it'd be smart given I'm hoping for government and PI work and they don't have a great LRAP.

Plus, first love never dies. Getting in so early and fast made me feel wanted--unlike schools that generally do a lot of YP like Penn and UVA.

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:49 pm

It shouldn't be too surprising that their faculty isn't quite as highly regarded because, in general, people flock to the big markets/cities. For example, UCSD (although not close to a top 10 school) has some spectacular faculty due to its location. I def. think that Duke is underrated in some areas due to its location. Many people on the west coast simply do not even know that the south exists...it's pretty sad to be honest. For that matter, though, people on the west coast don't seem to know that ANYTHING exists other than the 2 coasts. Schools like Michigan, Univ. of Chicago and Virginia all take a hit. Although, I feel like Duke gets slightly more recognition (i.e the average lay, or even average college student for that matter, at least as heard of college basketball)

Here's to Duke!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm excited to visit Duke, and it sounds like a great change for me. However, I would need a drop off the sticker price to go.

babin.6

New

Post by babin.6 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:58 pm

klkjk
Last edited by babin.6 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”