In at Duke! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Gold

Re: In at Duke!

Post by crackberry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:03 pm

Jericwithers wrote:No scholarship decisions received in the mail today?
Dunno yet. Am at work and won't be able to check the mail until like 6-7 PST, but I imagine I have nothing in California. I don't expect it until Friday or Saturday.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:10 pm

My scholly was mailed the 15th (or 16th considering no mail that day) and I have not gotten it yet. Hoping for tomorrow.

Heather85

New

Post by Heather85 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Duke PT users, How long did it take to get a response? Did anyone get a response in less than 10 days? Does the 10 days include/exclude weekends?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:28 pm

It was less than 10 early in the cycle and exactly 10 for everyone else pretty much. You will get Decision Made early in the day then an email in the evening.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Heather85 wrote:Duke PT users, How long did it take to get a response? Did anyone get a response in less than 10 days? Does the 10 days include/exclude weekends?
10 days. Yes, but not anymore. Includes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

protokurios

Bronze

Post by protokurios » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:15 pm

im_blue wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Kronk wrote:
im_blue wrote:Chicago has an edge over NYU and Duke in California placement. Only HYS would do better there.
There's a little place caleld BoalTTT I'd like to introduce you to...
Not to mention the tenuously ABA-accredited Columbia :)
IMO Chicago edges out Boalt in California (especially in LA/SD), and matches Columbia.
It's true, but you don't have to say IMO.

http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/students/sullivan/law/

Click Data and go to Los Angeles. If you divide the number of graduates by the size of a typical graduating class, Chicago actually does better than Harvard, Columbia, and Boalt. I followed his methodology and got my own numbers for just the LA offices...while USC and UCLA are out in front (for obvious reasons), Chicago and Columbia actually do as well as or better than Harvard. Not sure how legit the results are, but they're pretty surprising. PM me if you want to know the details.

T14forME

New

Post by T14forME » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Still under review as of 12/14....applied late Oct./early Nov....ugh.
+1

MPMP

New

Post by MPMP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:32 pm

T14forME wrote:
legendwaitforitdairy wrote:Still under review as of 12/14....applied late Oct./early Nov....ugh.
+1
UR since 1/04.

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 pm

T14forME wrote:
+1
+1 but to jd/llm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beebs

Bronze

Post by beebs » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:56 pm

UR since 11/30, wtf?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Does anybody have any links to info about how OCIs went this year?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Anyone know how we go about negotiating financial aid?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 pm

I called recently. They do not try to match offers. They recommend a campus visit first, along with an updated Why Duke-esque email when asking for more, with competing offers mentioned as a sort of footnote.

Edit: Also, you will not find out the result of the appeal until all initial scholarship offers are mailed out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:12 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I called recently. They do not try to match offers. They recommend a campus visit first, along with an updated Why Duke-esque email when asking for more, with competing offers mentioned as a sort of footnote.

Edit: Also, you will not find out the result of the appeal until all initial scholarship offers are mailed out.
I hope I do not have to go through this process. I already wrote a heckuva why Duke essay, what more could I put into an email? Waiting till April/May for an updated ammount would kill me.

cpt yossarian

New

Post by cpt yossarian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Scholarship sent 2/15.
Got it today. $54k. More than I was expecting. I'm happy.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:45 pm

cpt yossarian wrote:Scholarship sent 2/15.
Very exciting! Since you have the same numbers as me I'm going to ask you alot of questions: where do you live, did you write a 'why duke' essay, and did you apply or merit or need/merit?

ranovr32

Bronze

Post by ranovr32 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Very exciting! Since you have the same numbers as me I'm going to ask you alot of questions: where do you live, did you write a 'why duke' essay, and did you apply or merit or need/merit?
Congrats
I'd like that, but why have you gotten yours and not I!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cpt yossarian

New

Post by cpt yossarian » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:03 am

Jericwithers wrote:
I live about 45 minutes from Duke.
No Why Duke?
Merit only

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:29 am

random ? (and I suppose I should/could call the admissions office about this) but if fall grades made my GPA go up from 3.81 to 3.82 (not much I know) and I'm already UR would it matter if I got LSAC to update my transcripts?

Fancy Pants

Bronze

Post by Fancy Pants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:30 am

terpette wrote:random ? (and I suppose I should/could call the admissions office about this) but if fall grades made my GPA go up from 3.81 to 3.82 (not much I know) and I'm already UR would it matter if I got LSAC to update my transcripts?
Probably not a big deal but it's also not going to hurt to update your transcript with LSAC.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 am

cpt yossarian wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No Why Duke?
Merit only
First, nice user name. Second, thats awesome, if they give me that much ill be going for sure. (My numbers are not like yours at all though, -GPA, +LSAT)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dtackpat75

Bronze

Post by Dtackpat75 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:37 am

How did you know when it was sent? Just by looking at post mark or did it update on the status checker or something?

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am

Fancy Pants wrote:
terpette wrote:random ? (and I suppose I should/could call the admissions office about this) but if fall grades made my GPA go up from 3.81 to 3.82 (not much I know) and I'm already UR would it matter if I got LSAC to update my transcripts?
Probably not a big deal but it's also not going to hurt to update your transcript with LSAC.
Thanks... couldn't decide if I should do it now or later if I get WL'ed (which is what I'm hoping for right now)

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 pm

cpt yossarian wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No Why Duke?
Merit only
Thanks for the response. I'm hoping for a similar nice letter in my mailbox when I get home today. Does anyone know if Duke actually sends out need based aid in this notification, or does that come later?

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
cpt yossarian wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
No Why Duke?
Merit only
Thanks for the response. I'm hoping for a similar nice letter in my mailbox when I get home today. Does anyone know if Duke actually sends out need based aid in this notification, or does that come later?
It would be lame for you to have to check a need/merit box if they weren't going to include it...not like I think they'd take into account your actual need. I think it's more like how much do they need your #s

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”