In at Duke! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Re: In at Duke!

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:56 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Is it fair to hate someone that you've never met just because you're jealous of their numbers?

Voidsix, I'm looking at you.
No. It's absolutely unacceptable.
:(
not to be a dick about it (because my own numbers aren't as good), but if you're going to single someone out to hate on / be jealous of because of their numbers, why stop at 3.9/173? do it to this guy instead

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TPD

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:18 pm

GargamelITT wrote:not to be a dick about it (because my own numbers aren't as good), but if you're going to single someone out to hate on / be jealous of because of their numbers, why stop at 3.9/173? do it to this guy instead

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TPD
FWIW, that guy's TLS name is "T14." He started the Harvard 2010 thread. Gang up on those more qualified than us!!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Honestly, I never viewed numbers as entitlement. Especially LSAT score. I realize it shows an aptitude for a certain type of thinking, but I always thought Berkeley and Stanford were smart for favoring GPA. I know GPA has a lot of room to be variable--but if you skated by with an "easy" 4.0, you know who you are. ;)

Either way, GPA and LSAT, in my opinion, tell a very minor part of the story. That's why I loved Yale's app, because I felt it really gave the applicant the ability to tell their entire story.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:05 pm

VoidSix wrote:Honestly, I never viewed numbers as entitlement. Especially LSAT score. I realize it shows an aptitude for a certain type of thinking, but I always thought Berkeley and Stanford were smart for favoring GPA. I know GPA has a lot of room to be variable--but if you skated by with an "easy" 4.0, you know who you are. ;)

Either way, GPA and LSAT, in my opinion, tell a very minor part of the story. That's why I loved Yale's app, because I felt it really gave the applicant the ability to tell their entire story.
+1. Couldn't agree more. I know the debate over LSAT score is endless, but I think even the best lawyer would be hard pressed to make the argument that a kid who gets 5 questions wrong on the LSAT is guaranteed to be a more successful attorney than one who got, say, 8 or 9 questions wrong. Put that way, the idea seems ludicrous. A holistic approach seems way, way more intuitive.

Anyway, this probably isn't the best thread for the above discussion, so back to Duke. Do most schools do what Duke did for us PT admits and admit us, then send us a merit-based aid form, then decide on aid. Or will most schools let us know what kind of aid we get in our admission letters?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

I think it can go either way, but since we applied early, I am assuming we won't know about scholarship information when we learn about acceptances. Duke said they don't start considering it until January, and I figure a lot of schools do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lsnoob

New

Post by lsnoob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:37 pm

ok, PT acceptances ... what is the longest anyone had to wait to get word after going to "decision made" on the status checker...i'm at like 30 hours here with nothing and getting anxious.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:56 pm

lsnoob wrote:ok, PT acceptances ... what is the longest anyone had to wait to get word after going to "decision made" on the status checker...i'm at like 30 hours here with nothing and getting anxious.
I'm not PT or accepted yet, but I believe the Dean likes to do them all at once for the week on Friday. Expect a call or email tomorrow.

Edit: Ignore me. I've been corrected.
Last edited by CyLaw on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:56 pm

lsnoob wrote:ok, PT acceptances ... what is the longest anyone had to wait to get word after going to "decision made" on the status checker...i'm at like 30 hours here with nothing and getting anxious.
I wouldnt worry. Look at the PT Graph I made on the last page. The waitlists were after Jan. Also, there seems to be a trend that they send the actual email at the end of the day on Friday.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 pm

If you're PT it will be an email. ED people get calls but we get emails. Not sure where this Friday rumor came from. I got the email on a Tuesday afternoon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trojanfan06

New

Post by trojanfan06 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:55 pm

So did anyone ask for PT after sending their app in??

Berkeley09

New

Post by Berkeley09 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Submitted by app on Thursday (10/1), LSAC sent Duke report on Friday (10/2) and I still haven’t got a response…this is the 8th or 9th day since I submitted (depends on whether you count Thursday or not)….that means that they have to respond to me by either Saturday or Sunday

But do they send out responses on weekends? If not then I should expect a response by today, right?

Thanks if anybody’s able to help!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:32 pm

Berkeley09 wrote:Submitted by app on Thursday (10/1), LSAC sent Duke report on Friday (10/2) and I still haven’t got a response…this is the 8th or 9th day since I submitted (depends on whether you count Thursday or not)….that means that they have to respond to me by either Saturday or Sunday

But do they send out responses on weekends? If not then I should expect a response by today, right?

When did you go complete? That's the relevant question... it's a week from then.

AceintheWhole

New

Post by AceintheWhole » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Berkeley09 wrote:Submitted by app on Thursday (10/1), LSAC sent Duke report on Friday (10/2) and I still haven’t got a response…this is the 8th or 9th day since I submitted (depends on whether you count Thursday or not)….that means that they have to respond to me by either Saturday or Sunday

I got mine on a Sunday, so it's certainly possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:37 pm

GeePee wrote:

When did you go complete? That's the relevant question... it's a week from then.

It's ten days. Probably safe to assume ten business days. I think the one-week thing is what they used to do.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:05 am

I am in the same boat here. I am so glad to know I am not the only one!

Aias

New

Post by Aias » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Anyone willing to take a look at my Why Duke addendum?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Aias wrote:Anyone willing to take a look at my Why Duke addendum?
Sure, but if it makes you feel better, we have similar numbers and I was accepted within about 20 hours of applying PT. I don't know if you're PT, but you should be in at Duke regardless of the quality of your addendum. Anyway, if you want some feedback on the Why Duke?, send it along.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:25 pm

In as well.

bluedolphins

New

Post by bluedolphins » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 pm

alirod12 wrote:In as well.
+1. Got the email 2 hours ago! I am so happy :)

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:50 pm

bluedolphins wrote:
alirod12 wrote:In as well.
+1. Got the email 2 hours ago! I am so happy :)
Congrats you two. How long did it take them to get back to you?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:27 am

Congrats, guys.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 am

VoidSix wrote:Congrats, guys.
+1

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:43 pm

For those who requested PT, would you mind PMing the text of your email. I'm having trouble phrasing my email tactfully.

swmass

New

Post by swmass » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Dean Hoye told me on the phone a week ago that the office would begin sending out snail mail acceptance letters on Oct. 12.

People living near NC should be getting their hard copy letters pretty soon :). I live a bit far away from NC, so I feel like it would take some time to get to me.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:48 pm

swmass wrote:Dean Hoye told me on the phone a week ago that the office would begin sending out snail mail acceptance letters on Oct. 12.

People living near NC should be getting their hard copy letters pretty soon :). I live a bit far away from NC, so I feel like it would take some time to get to me.
Am I correct in assuming this means PT only?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”