In at Duke! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
blue5385

Silver

Re: In at Duke!

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 pm

booboo wrote:Leave the poster alone, lol.

Let's focus on how we haven't received decisions from Duke yet.

:).
maybe our collective lack of decision from Duke (and other schools) is making us a little snippy

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 pm

we're all special snowflakes

Rawlsian

Bronze

Post by Rawlsian » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:24 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
existenz wrote:My status updated from "File Under Review 2/8" to "File Under Review 2/15".

Sorta glad it does not say Decision Rendered considering the WLs/dings coming down the pike.
+1. 2/8 to 2/15 here as well.
+2 same

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Sorry to hear about the WLs and dings, guys.

I've crossed my fingers off. I'm fingerless. Moving to toes. Still UR 1/29.

T14forME

New

Post by T14forME » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

UR since 12/14 and nothing since...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:36 pm

blue5385 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:BUT I DID TEH FREE KAPLANZ TEST AND LOTSA SUDUKO PUZZLS THAT ARE GOOD 4 LOGIC.
work full time, no time to prep, schools should let me off the hook because of this, bla bla bla...

/worked 50 per week during prep, took 20+ PTs over the course of two months, go big or go home.

Kaytee

New

Post by Kaytee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

quote="thickfreakness"]
blue5385 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
someones alt wrote:Its pretty audacious to assert you deserve to get into a T14
I deserve to get into Yale despite the fact I didn't even apply. The poster seems to have a nice resume, but appears to be forgetting the key fact that LSAT trumps all in law school admissions. Retake the test and do slightly better and I'll agree that you deserve to get in (more deserving than me atleast).
Not to mention that test-taking speed under time limits can be increased with regular practice. If you knew you had this weakness (which lots of people have) but practiced enough to overcome it to some extent, then maybe you could make the case that you deserve to get into Duke.
BUT I DID TEH FREE KAPLANZ TEST AND LOTSA SUDUKO PUZZLS THAT ARE GOOD 4 LOGIC.[/quote]

"Deserve" as in I think I've worked hard for it and I have nice 'extras' on my resume aside from my numbers is what I'm saying. Not "Duke needs to accept me or they're retards because I'm amazing" type of thing.

My POINT was that my concern with Duke is whether or not they're a school to really put weight on those other aspects, or if they just plow through with the GPA/LSAT as their main deciding factor. Which was what I was kinda asking

Geeze people...

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:39 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:BUT I DID TEH FREE KAPLANZ TEST AND LOTSA SUDUKO PUZZLS THAT ARE GOOD 4 LOGIC.
work full time, no time to prep, schools should let me off the hook because of this, bla bla bla...

/worked 50 per week during prep, took 20+ PTs over the course of two months, go big or go home.
+1 I worked 45 hours a week, then did classes and took at least 5 prep tests per week. Gotta get used to working all the time if you wanna be a lawyer

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:40 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

+1 I worked 45 hours a week, then did classes and took at least 5 prep tests per week. Gotta get used to working all the time if you wanna be a lawyer
I thought the 8 hours a week I put into the LSAT was too much....You mean it actually gets harder than this?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Kaytee wrote: "Deserve" as in I think I've worked hard for it and I have nice 'extras' on my resume aside from my numbers is what I'm saying. Not "Duke needs to accept me or they're retards because I'm amazing" type of thing.

My POINT was that my concern with Duke is whether or not they're a school to really put weight on those other aspects, or if they just plow through with the GPA/LSAT as their main deciding factor. Which was what I was kinda asking

Geeze people...
My advice would be to stop now. This is a bad road to go down...

blackmamba76

Bronze

Post by blackmamba76 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:54 pm

I just got a "File ready for review" status 2/12, but waiting on Feb LSAT retake.......What should I expect?

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Eligible to post in this thread as of Friday. Hello!

And to the poster above, I can say that a scheduled retake won't necessarily postpone a decision on your app.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:09 pm

worldwithoutend wrote:Eligible to post in this thread as of Friday. Hello!

And to the poster above, I can say that a scheduled retake won't necessarily postpone a decision on your app.
Congrats! However, there aren't really any requirements you had to meet to post in this thread. I highly doubt that some people here are even applying to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chinny123

New

Post by chinny123 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Rawlsian wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
existenz wrote:My status updated from "File Under Review 2/8" to "File Under Review 2/15".

Sorta glad it does not say Decision Rendered considering the WLs/dings coming down the pike.
+1. 2/8 to 2/15 here as well.
+2 same
+3

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:49 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
blue5385 wrote:

lol yeah, I prepped for the Sept. LSAT while working a 50+ hour week, not sure if the sarcasm translated? I just hate it when people use work as an excuse because one can definitely do enough prep to get a good score while working FT.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:51 pm

blue5385 wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
blue5385 wrote: work full time, no time to prep, schools should let me off the hook because of this, bla bla bla...

lol yeah, I prepped for the Sept. LSAT while working a 50+ hour week, not sure if the sarcasm translated? I just hate it when people use work as an excuse because one can definitely do enough prep to get a good score while working FT.

No I definitely understood your sarcasm, I was just futher reiterating that LSAT prep can be accomplished while working full time.

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 pm

toolshed wrote:
Kaytee wrote: "Deserve" as in I think I've worked hard for it and I have nice 'extras' on my resume aside from my numbers is what I'm saying. Not "Duke needs to accept me or they're retards because I'm amazing" type of thing.

Geeze people...
My advice would be to stop now. This is a bad road to go down...
Yeah.
Yes Duke and every other school highly value GPA and LSAT. Unfortunately, most people with high GPAs and LSATs also have impressive resumes as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 pm

Geeze people...
Most people whose apps they review probably have worked hard for it and have nice 'extras' on their resumes as well -- those factors alone don't mean that one person deserves it more than the others. And a quick glance at Duke's (or any other T14 school's) 25/median/75 numbers will tell you that yes, they put very heavy emphasis on GPA/LSAT. You could have asked that question without phrasing it in such an entitled fashion (i.e., mentioning that you are a legacy).

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:04 pm

blue5385 wrote:

Geeze people...
Most people whose apps they review probably have worked hard for it and have nice 'extras' on their resumes as well -- those factors alone don't mean that one person deserves it more than the others. And a quick glance at Duke's (or any other T14 school's) 25/median/75 numbers will tell you that yes, they put very heavy emphasis on GPA/LSAT. You could have asked that question without phrasing it in such an entitled fashion (i.e., mentioning that you are a legacy).
Yall need to quit. You're making ME feel undeserving, and I've already gotten in :( .

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:You're making ME feel undeserving
Duke doesn't think so :wink:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:30 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:You're making ME feel undeserving
Duke doesn't think so :wink:
Pity acceptance, as evidence by the lack of any scholarship mailing so far. Doesn't matter to me; I'll take what I can get.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kaytee

New

Post by Kaytee » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Last edited by Kaytee on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Kaytee wrote:
some schools put A LOT on whether or not a relative attended (George Washington, for example, is HUGE on that, undergrad, other grad programs, whatever, gives you major advantage)
Not really. Most schools only care (GW included) if your relatives are big donors.
Last edited by Amelie on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Kaytee wrote: some schools put A LOT on whether or not a relative attended (George Washington, for example, is HUGE on that, undergrad, other grad programs, whatever, gives you major advantage), I didn't know if duke really cares, each school's different, which is what i was curious about. my entire post was strictly out of curiosity of how much, if at all, other positives would outweigh a lower lsat score...arguing over the use of "deserve" preeeeeetty much derailed that so whatever, I'll guess we'll see thanks.
Here is a simple test to see whether a relative attending a school will help your chance of admission:

1. Does said relative's name adorn a building, monument, or scholarship for said school?
2. Does said relative have a picture with the school's dean/president, shaking hands over a giant novelty check?

If the answer to both of the above is NO, then it matters not.
Last edited by toolshed on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:52 pm

toolshed wrote:Here is a simple test to see whether a relative attending a school will help your chance of admission:

1. Does said relative's name adorn a building, monument, or scholarship for said school?
2. Does said relative have a picture with the school's dean/president, shaking hands over a giant novelty check?

If the answer to either of the above is NO, then it matters not.
Either or both? I would think just donating a building would suffice, as not everyone needs to brag about their donation by breaking the construction ground or using a giant novelty check. A building is a much more classy way of saying 'I am better than you' than the #2 option, IMO.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”