In at Duke! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thickfreakness

Silver

Re: In at Duke!

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Veritas wrote:does Duke have a "Reserve List" and a "Waitlist?"

Yes. I think there's Priority Reserve and a WL. The WL is more of a soft reject, whereas the PR actually has some movement.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:53 pm

yup

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:53 pm

beef wellington wrote:
yup
:(

astro1819

Bronze

Post by astro1819 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Withdrew from the waitlist, best of luck to everyone else.

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 am

On the "Who'd you hear from" thread it looks like a lot of folks were recently WL'd at Duke. One person was rejected from the same program I applied to (which starts less than TWO MONTHS from now, incidentally), one person WL'd who applied after me and . . . still I sit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote:

Yes. I think there's Priority Reserve and a WL. The WL is more of a soft reject, whereas the PR actually has some movement.
I was placed on Priority Res after applying via PT in October. I was looking at it kind of as a "held for further review". I emailed the admissions office the other day to see when I might hear back from Duke (as there are impending seat deposit deadlines) and they sent me a link to FAQ about the waitlist. So I'm pretty confused, as her emailed implied that PR is a waitlist (which means a decision would not come until mid-May or later). I wrote back asking for clarification but I never heard back. Ill post what the admissions office says about it if they do in fact respond.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:06 pm

hykang wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

I was placed on Priority Res after applying via PT in October. I was looking at it kind of as a "held for further review". I emailed the admissions office the other day to see when I might hear back from Duke (as there are impending seat deposit deadlines) and they sent me a link to FAQ about the waitlist. So I'm pretty confused, as her emailed implied that PR is a waitlist (which means a decision would not come until mid-May or later). I wrote back asking for clarification but I never heard back. Ill post what the admissions office says about it if they do in fact respond.
PR is a waitlist, but the people on it are given priority over the people on the regular waitlist.

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:23 pm

I've told my self over the last few months that it is similar to GULC's "special group within the preferred waitlist." I think that's about right. Both groups have had a few people accepted off of them, and both have priority over lower waitlist groups.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:I've told my self over the last few months that it is similar to GULC's "special group within the preferred waitlist." I think that's about right. Both groups have had a few people accepted off of them, and both have priority over lower waitlist groups.
Hopefully. I'm on both. I think there will ultimately be much more movement off of GULC's SPWL due to their class size.

I've counted 3 or 4 people that have gotten off of the PR on TLS so far. Hopefully a few more get in after deposits.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
hykang wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:

PR is a waitlist, but the people on it are given priority over the people on the regular waitlist.
Where did you hear this? It seems that everyone has different and/or opposing opinions on whether or not its a waitlist. Some people have gotten off of it in Feb, March, etc. (for waitlists, they don't start pulling people until mid-May or later). If it is a waitlist, then I'm withdrawing (with a scholarship at Michigan, I wouldn't take Duke in July-August under any circumstances).

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:29 pm

hykang, i've always thought of it as the top tier of the Duke waitlist. The way the admissions officer responded to you seems to confirm that.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

hykang wrote:Where did you hear this? It seems that everyone has different and/or opposing opinions on whether or not its a waitlist. Some people have gotten off of it in Feb, March, etc. (for waitlists, they don't start pulling people until mid-May or later). If it is a waitlist, then I'm withdrawing (with a scholarship at Michigan, I wouldn't take Duke in July-August under any circumstances).
Seems to be conventional wisdom that it is a waitlist, I have never heard an argument for it being anything other than a waitlist. Usually if the email doesn't give you a timeframe for when you will get a final decision (accept, reject, or waitlist) the it isn't a hold but is rather a waitlist.

PR is the waitlist for people who were given PT right? Everyone on PR was PT invite I thought, and the odds of getting in off of PR is good since your numbers were high enough to get PT invite.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
hykang wrote:Where did you hear this? It seems that everyone has different and/or opposing opinions on whether or not its a waitlist. Some people have gotten off of it in Feb, March, etc. (for waitlists, they don't start pulling people until mid-May or later). If it is a waitlist, then I'm withdrawing (with a scholarship at Michigan, I wouldn't take Duke in July-August under any circumstances).
Seems to be conventional wisdom that it is a waitlist, I have never heard an argument for it being anything other than a waitlist. Usually if the email doesn't give you a timeframe for when you will get a final decision (accept, reject, or waitlist) the it isn't a hold but is rather a waitlist.

PR is the waitlist for people who were given PT right? Everyone on PR was PT invite I thought, and the odds of getting in off of PR is good since your numbers were high enough to get PT invite.
I think there were a bunch of people who were placed on PR who were not PT.

I guess if it is a waitlist, I'll see if they offer me admission before seat deposit deadlines, and if not, I'll withdraw. Seems like there should be some kind of FAQ specifically about Priority Reserve, as people have gotten in before mid-May. And the regular waitlist FAQ states that they don't start making decisions on candidates before mid-May.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:50 pm

hykang wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I think there were a bunch of people who were placed on PR who were not PT.

I guess if it is a waitlist, I'll see if they offer me admission before seat deposit deadlines, and if not, I'll withdraw. Seems like there should be some kind of FAQ specifically about Priority Reserve, as people have gotten in before mid-May. And the regular waitlist FAQ states that they don't start making decisions on candidates before mid-May.
That seems to be the big difference between the two lists then. If you are really set on Duke then wait till about May 10th before withdrawing, once they can see how many people made the deposit.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Jericwithers wrote: That seems to be the big difference between the two lists then. If you are really set on Duke then wait till about May 10th before withdrawing, once they can see how many people made the deposit.
Yeah I think there is. There were a some RD people put on the PR and a few PT applicants who were regular waitlisted.

ilovelamp18

Bronze

Post by ilovelamp18 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:20 pm

dk8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote: That seems to be the big difference between the two lists then. If you are really set on Duke then wait till about May 10th before withdrawing, once they can see how many people made the deposit.
Yeah I think there is. There were a some RD people put on the PR and a few PT applicants who were regular waitlisted.
Yeah count me among the RD people put on PR... so def not just PT people on there.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Just checked "please withdraw my application" on the form their e-mail linked to. I'm not sure if that applies only to the summer program or to all of it, but I intend to withdraw totally. Enjoy Duke everybody!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 pm

Speaking of....

Duke just emailed me. They would like to know if I am still interested. I am.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:09 pm

clintonius wrote:Just checked "please withdraw my application" on the form their e-mail linked to. I'm not sure if that applies only to the summer program or to all of it, but I intend to withdraw totally. Enjoy Duke everybody!
Thanks, enjoy NYU with all the other sheep :wink:

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Speaking of....

Duke just emailed me. They would like to know if I am still interested. I am.
Duke also just e-mailed me, asking if I'm still interested in the Dual Degree program ( I applied to regular 3 year) that starts in the summer (I applied for Fall start)

I assume the details were wrong but the checking of interest is legitimate, but I replied asking for clarification.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:14 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
clintonius wrote:Just checked "please withdraw my application" on the form their e-mail linked to. I'm not sure if that applies only to the summer program or to all of it, but I intend to withdraw totally. Enjoy Duke everybody!
Ouch! I must admit, I am jealous of the barbecue you guys will be getting down in NC.

Also, ha! Just got a second e-mail saying they fucked up. It did include this at the bottom: "Technology makes lots of things easier -- including making mistakes." I guess I didn't officially withdraw?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Interminable_Waiting

Bronze

Post by Interminable_Waiting » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

That was amusing. The waiting continues.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:19 pm

clintonius wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Ouch! I must admit, I am jealous of the barbecue you guys will be getting down in NC.

Also, ha! Just got a second e-mail saying they fucked up. It did include this at the bottom: "Technology makes lots of things easier -- including making mistakes." I guess I didn't officially withdraw?
Lol I wasn't trying to be mean, but jokingly friendly (your avatar is a sheep, if you haven't noticed). Also I am in Austin right now so I am skeptical that the BBQ can be any better up there. I did have the best philly cheesesteak in my life while visiting Duke though. Not alot of Mexican food though, which will ruin my eating habits.

So yall weren't supposed to get this email asking if you were still interested in attending?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
clintonius wrote:Ouch! I must admit, I am jealous of the barbecue you guys will be getting down in NC.

Lol I wasn't trying to be mean, but jokingly friendly (your avatar is a sheep, if you haven't noticed). Also I am in Austin right now so I am skeptical that the BBQ can be any better up there. I did have the best philly cheesesteak in my life while visiting Duke though. Not alot of Mexican food though, which will ruin my eating habits.

So yall weren't supposed to get this email asking if you were still interested in attending?
Heh, I know, and I took no offense (and also casually noticed you're waiting on NYU yourself ;)). From what I've heard, the barbecue is a different style in NC than in Texas. I have a good from from Austin and he loved the bbq he got in Raleigh this summer, so it's certainly worth a shot. Cheese steaks seem to be best everywhere but Philly, ironically enough.

And nope, e-mail was a mistake. Apparently we Fall-term applicants will be getting a similar one in a couple weeks.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm

clintonius wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Just got this too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”